Opportunity presents itself

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Opportunity presents itself

With the injuries yesterday, and the questionable form of some players I see this as a time to find out about some players who have been on the list for a few years now if they can cut it at the top level.

Tom Lee - with Fisher gone for 5 weeks and Goddard the year, Lee can come in and have 3 or 4 games minimum to see if he is good enough to cut it as a bigger backman. He deserves first crack at it over a few weeks also, if he does well fantastic, if not its an easy decision come years end.

Delaney- Forgot backman. If Lee doesn't cut the mustard he is next off the mark. Again been around a while and not setting the world on fire in the 2's.

Acres - younger than the other 2 but seems to be either not consistently doing what is asked or held on a tighter leash than some. Lets get him in and give him 3-4 games run to develop some confidence and consistency.

Pierce - with potentially Roo and McCartin out lets give this kid a game and switch him and hickey out of the square.

Shenton and Curren - to me both list fillers but realistically either couldn't be much worse than Gilbert and Murdoch the last couple of weeks.

Would also like to see over the next couple months Wright, Templeton, Minchington, get some game time - assuming they are doing the correct things in the 2nds. All 3 would be under pressure come seasons end I would think.

Players still need to earn their spots 100%, but moving forward it is time to answer some of the question marks, IMO.

evo
Club Player

Re: Opportunity presents itself

If some of the players you mentioned do not get a game this week then it is pointless keeping them on the list. Minch and Lee need an extensive run but their papers looked like they are stamped while Billings and Dunstan keep getting selected regardless of form.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If McCartin, Roo, Goddard all miss

It's a good opportunity for Carlton

older saint
SS Life Member

evo wrote:If some of the players you mentioned do not get a game this week then it is pointless keeping them on the list. Minch and Lee need an extensive run but their papers looked like they are stamped while Billings and Dunstan keep getting selected regardless of form.
I think billings needs games and is one of a few players we have with X factor. Dunstan would be under some pressure, good at winning the ball but must work on spread I would think, as much as i am a fan, Newness would be under some pressure also

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

With Goddard put for the year I would think Coughlan should be promoted and played. I only saw him in the Nab Cup game he played, he started nervously. but was playing good football by 3\4 time and had a good last quarter. I am surprised they have not tried him out so far!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

And on form I would suggest that Lew Pierce should be the first player into the team. In very good form apparently.

evo
Club Player

older saint wrote:
evo wrote:If some of the players you mentioned do not get a game this week then it is pointless keeping them on the list. Minch and Lee need an extensive run but their papers looked like they are stamped while Billings and Dunstan keep getting selected regardless of form.
I think billings needs games and is one of a few players we have with X factor. Dunstan would be under some pressure, good at winning the ball but must work on spread I would think, as much as i am a fan, Newness would be under some pressure also
I think Billings could be a star too but after 10 ordinary games he had better pull the finger out or play in the seconds. At this point in time Hartung seems to be playing better footy than any of Billings/Dunstan or Acres, the trio that we expect good things from.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

borderbarry wrote:And on form I would suggest that Lew Pierce should be the first player into the team. In very good form apparently.
Agreed and play hickey at full forward

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I remember the 2013 draft well. I made some outlandish statements that we shouldnt recruit too many inner city private school boys and should go for the rough nuts from the country. Of course I was ridiculed, pilloried, isolated, mocked and told I had absolutely no idea by all and sundry. Not a single defender to be found!

Who has turned out the best player from the 2013 draft?

Patrick Cripps from Northampton WA (who ended up at Boarding School in Perth).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-27/c ... fl/5117822
Farm boy drafted into AFL
ABC Rural
By Joanna Prendergast

Posted 27 Nov 2013, 12:49pm
AFL drafts another Mid West talent

Farm life and country football have created a solid foundation for one of the Carlton Football Club's newest recruits.

Eighteen-year-old Patrick Cripps from Northampton in Western Australia was drafted at pick 13 by the AFL club, which has nicknamed him 'the extractor' for his role in the midfield and has already compared him to club legend Diesel Williams.

Patrick's father Brad Cripps says along with playing football, his son loves returning to the family farm in the Mid West and hunting pigs.

"We call him our little bush pig, or big bush pig. He loves his farming and wild pig hunting. He'll miss that because he loves coming home and doing that," he said

evo
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I remember the 2013 draft well. I made some outlandish statements that we shouldnt recruit too many inner city private school boys and should go for the rough nuts from the country. Of course I was ridiculed, pilloried, isolated, mocked and told I had absolutely no idea by all and sundry. Not a single defender to be found!
Not by me you didn't. I would take a backline of Hitler,Attila the Hun and Vlad the Impaler if they could play footy. Dont want solid citizens just solid players.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Con Gorozidis wrote:I remember the 2013 draft well. I made some outlandish statements that we shouldnt recruit too many inner city private school boys and should go for the rough nuts from the country. Of course I was ridiculed, pilloried, isolated, mocked and told I had absolutely no idea by all and sundry. Not a single defender to be found!

Who has turned out the best player from the 2013 draft?

Patrick Cripps from Northampton WA (who ended up at Boarding School in Perth).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-27/c ... fl/5117822
Farm boy drafted into AFL
ABC Rural
By Joanna Prendergast

Posted 27 Nov 2013, 12:49pm
AFL drafts another Mid West talent

Farm life and country football have created a solid foundation for one of the Carlton Football Club's newest recruits.

Eighteen-year-old Patrick Cripps from Northampton in Western Australia was drafted at pick 13 by the AFL club, which has nicknamed him 'the extractor' for his role in the midfield and has already compared him to club legend Diesel Williams.

Patrick's father Brad Cripps says along with playing football, his son loves returning to the family farm in the Mid West and hunting pigs.

"We call him our little bush pig, or big bush pig. He loves his farming and wild pig hunting. He'll miss that because he loves coming home and doing that," he said
Nat Fyfe was brought up in a WA country town. Drives a road train, has his chopper licence, down to earth country boy.
He's a handy midfielder.
Good call, Con

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Saint wagga
Club Player

Yep...Lenny Hayes was soft as butter because he was from quintessential middle class suburban Sydney! And juddy, he was pretty ordinary too!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

We need more farm boys!

Boys that aren't scared of doing an honest days work!

Who love to get get down and get dirty!

Crack in!

Darryl Baldock was a farm boy!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Are we starting a petting farm at Moorabbin? I thought we were a footy team?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Are we starting a petting farm at Moorabbin? I thought we were a footy team?
Moorabbin was rich market garden, back in the day. Petting farm? That's so crazy it might just work, degruch.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Isn't that the draft you were very keen on us selecting James Aish?

How's he going?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

lenny hayes is from pennant hills

he's a westy

Furphy
Club Player

BigMart wrote:If McCartin, Roo, Goddard all miss

It's a good opportunity for Carlton

Yep, an opportunity for Mike Carlton to interview the Saints over their huge win over the Blues

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Not by me you didn't. I would take a backline of Hitler,Attila the Hun and Vlad the Impaler if they could play footy. Dont want solid citizens just solid players
I get the feeling Vlad would be useful at the pointy end.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:
Isn't that the draft you were very keen on us selecting James Aish?

How's he going?

That's pretty funny

#1 Ryder fan
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:lenny hayes is from pennant hills

he's a westy
Pennant Hills is the northern suburbs.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:
older saint wrote:
I think Billings could be a star too but after 10 ordinary games he had better pull the finger out or play in the seconds. At this point in time Hartung seems to be playing better footy than any of Billings/Dunstan or Acres, the trio that we expect good things from.

Billings was very very good in the Collingwood and Hawk games. Doesn't get to pad his stats by playing behind the ball for extended periods and often has been left cold deep forward in thrashings. Kid is a gun.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
jays
Club Player

lee has to come in imo ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage