Does anyone else find Richo boring???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

firthy
Club Player

Re: Does anyone else find Richo boring???

Good stuff 'Satchmo' apparently it's ok to label our coach as 'not the sharpest tool in the shed' but to have it handed back is 'cowardly' . Never mind 'Impatient Sainter' as you mature you will find your sense of humour will improve markedly. Loved the coach after the Cats game.

Please let me live long enough to see it happen.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

firthy wrote:Good stuff 'Satchmo' apparently it's ok to label our coach as 'not the sharpest tool in the shed' but to have it handed back is 'cowardly' . Never mind 'Impatient Sainter' as you mature you will find your sense of humour will improve markedly. Loved the coach after the Cats game.
Unfortunately one decent win against a mentally soft Geelong, holds zero credibility when you go to the GCS and play a team that has lost their last 9 games and get flogged! How do you think he went motivating the players before the game and his presser following the loss last week?

He has proven to be a good development coach at other clubs, but has proven nothing but a battler doing the main gig.

I love people like yourself firthy it wouldnt matter if we had Saddam Hussain coaching the Saints they would be satisfied. I still believe as do others Im sure that he is not the sharpest coach in the AFL. I imagine thats why he was overlooked by so many clubs before us, but because he is at the Saints he must be brilliant!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Seems like a nice bloke, but after the WCE game and last week's horrible failure, I am thinking the guy has serious problems in the motivational areas of coaching, and probably is really a battler when it comes to coaching at this level. I can only wish him well, but I don't think he will take us much further up the ladder.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Some might suggest your wife isn't the most astute judge of people. Not me of course, but some.

I'll take him in front of a Scott any day of the week.

Saintsational Legend

Sausages are just sausages. You can boil them, fry them or curry them but they're still sausages.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
citywest

[quote="spert"]Seems like a nice bloke, but after the WCE game and last week's horrible failure, I am thinking the guy has serious problems in the motivational areas of coaching, and probably is really a battler when it comes to coaching at this level. I can only wish him well, but I don't think he will take us much further up the ladder.[/quote]
I know this is just a Fan Forum but people like you spert should be held accountable for their stupid comments. How could you possibly say the above when you consider that our trajectory has been on the up since Richo took over 3 years ago?

2014 - 4 wins & 18 losses @ 60.8% (18th).
2015 - 6 wins & 15 losses @ 78.4% (14th) plus a draw against Geelong.
2016 - 6 wins & 8 losses @ 85.9% (13th) plus there is 8 games to go.

If I was a moderator I would have deleted your post.

derby Street
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote:My wife who doesnt watch much footy but is a very astute judge of people and has seen a few of Richo's pressers. Last weekend she comes out with do you think 'he is the sharpest tool in the shed'?

After giving it some consideration I tend to agree. His pressers and interviews are all the same non inspiring monotone boring comments. Like -

"If we are strong at the contest well get the results"
"Strong thru the middle"
"Yeah he did ok I was happy with his effort"
"No excuses they are a good team"
"Yeah yeah we dont travel well thats something as a group we will have to have a real good look at".

Never once do you hear him go on the front foot and challenge his team like Clarko did in the media during the week. Clarko is the greastest modern coach in the AFL, but it would be nice to see Richo go on the front foot occasionally. Go outside his weekly routine and show his real displeasure after a flogging other than looking like someone without the answers.

I know the same could be said of Longmire, but with him you always get a sense of his intense competiveness, which you dont see in Richo. There never seems to be a sense of expectation with, just someone going through the motions.

I cant recall ever seeing Richo look or sound excited or stimulated - I wonder if he is like that around the club.

He is obviously a solid and well respected football person but I question his motivational abilities, his spark or IQ to produce anything other than meat & potatoes football, selections and results?

If you had a term to describe Richo what would it be? For me it would be - steady, reliable, loyal, boring, battler but never brilliant or exciting or a great motivator of people.

It almost like he has become so used to being the coaching support crew at clubs - he has never developed that inate motivational drive the great coaches have. He is just not an interesting person to listen to IMO!

And before you start frothing at the mouth I dont want him sacked - but I do think the club needs to look at his support staff eg assistants and media training.
A pretty ordinary comment from your wife - hopefully other people don't say that she isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Your post is all over the shop - as far as I am concerned he is doing a good job with a developing team.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Darby Street great he will have us playing finals and winning flags in a jiffy then - because you think he is doing a good job!

SAAD
Club Player

We have improved significantly this year... Next year we pinch those close ones against Hawks and North...we win a few more interstate and we build for the following year...Richo has been great and has been animated at times...we are doing better than nearly everyone thought we would with more blokes to come in... Carlisle, Billings, a free agent or two and mayyyyybe Freeman... If in 2 years we stuffed then a new coach can come in much like Thomas transition to Lyon...
Personally couldn't care if he's quirky, got television charisma or not but if he gets that flag I'll do more than kiss his ass in Bourke St

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Your wife would've hated Allan Jeans' press conferences.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I asked my cat what he thought of the coach.

He said "meow".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:I asked my cat what he thought of the coach.

He said "meow".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Asked my dog what she thought after she ate your cat,

s/s "Tasted like a spaceman".

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

satchmo wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:My wife who doesnt watch much footy but is a very astute judge of people and has seen a few of Richo's pressers. Last weekend she comes out with do you think 'he is the sharpest tool in the shed'?
The press conferences are FOR people that aren't the sharpest tool in the shed. Occasionally, one of them notices.
Ditto. You got it in one.

Richo impresses me as a very intelligent man.

Boring? That's a subjective notion, I personally find his insights interesting, insights that are generally proven correct.

If you want entertaining, well that great Richmond Coach, Jeff Geischen was entertaining.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:
Asked my dog what she thought after she ate your cat,

s/s "Tasted like a spaceman".
Impatient Sainter wrote:So you think that under handed swipe is quirky, intellegent or witty. It just puts you in the 'knob' status.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Watching his most recent press conference from yesterday I noted he provides quite thorough complete answers to questions. He's not trying to entertain but inform as best he can with what information he is able to release.

I'm glad he's not trying to ACT smart i.e. Brad Scott or Bolton.

Only time will tell exactly how good a coach he is. But no doubt we are getting better year in year out if inconsistent.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:
firthy wrote:Good stuff 'Satchmo' apparently it's ok to label our coach as 'not the sharpest tool in the shed' but to have it handed back is 'cowardly' . Never mind 'Impatient Sainter' as you mature you will find your sense of humour will improve markedly. Loved the coach after the Cats game.
Unfortunately one decent win against a mentally soft Geelong, holds zero credibility when you go to the GCS and play a team that has lost their last 9 games and get flogged! How do you think he went motivating the players before the game and his presser following the loss last week?

He has proven to be a good development coach at other clubs, but has proven nothing but a battler doing the main gig.

I love people re that he is not the sharpest coach in the AFL. I imagine thats why he was overlooked by so many clubs

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ooooh an Office Space reference

Love that movie

loris
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
Love him. Love his pressers. Love the way he scratches his head or his neck on the curly questions.
Been watching those scratches too SemperF........... Usually only with one finger, there appears a pattern to the scratching as well.

Side of the face, neck, to the temple when there tends to be extra thought placed into his answer. In acouple of interviews I noticed the scratching signal of. - 'this is the final question boys', - where all the fingers on one hand are bought into play when he scratches the back of his neck near his hair line.

If the OP's missus is bored with his spoken message, she should do what most astute women do - tune into the body language, there you really listen and understand, don't just simply hear, it could lead to boredom.

Oh, SP, I love his speech pattern of, Yeah ........ Nah.
However, I have a feeling some one has alerted him to this non fluency. It is not occurring as much of latter times during interviews. Why I think he's been made aware of it, sometimes when he says Yeah, there is quite a pause before he continues on, as if he is deliberately stopping himself from saying Nah. Wouldn't mind betting his wife has picked up him up on it............. she would listen and not just hear him :wink:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The man is paid to errrrrrrrrrr.......... Coach? If anyone wants Pressers to be an "event" rather than what they now are:i/e something the coach is mandated to do, then they need to get a band and some backing singers organised :lol: :lol: Does anyone remember Watsons pressers? the one where he chewed lollies rather than answer questions comes to mind :roll: :roll: I honestly reckon if we are concerned with the press conference "performance" of the coach, then we're (IMHO) a wee bit askew perspective-wise

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saynta
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:The man is paid to errrrrrrrrrr.......... Coach? If anyone wants Pressers to be an "event" rather than what they now are:i/e something the coach is mandated to do, then they need to get a band and some backing singers organised :lol: :lol: Does anyone remember Watsons pressers? the one where he chewed lollies rather than answer questions comes to mind :roll: :roll: I honestly reckon if we are concerned with the press conference "performance" of the coach, then we're (IMHO) a wee bit askew perspective-wise

I don't find him boring. Not at all. Also he isn't a dropkick like the Scott brothers, or an arrogent asshole like Roos.

Or dishonest like Lyon.

He will do me. A pretty decent guy who i would trust with my grandson, if he's good enough to get drafted.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Some on this thread have said that Richo isn't ( quote ) " the sharpest tool in the shed " coaching wise. To that assertion I would humbly submit the records of Hardwick, Leppitsch, Brad Scott, Buckley ( particularly with the Collngwood millions behind him) and Hird. The guy has made consistent and steady improvement in his time here, and anyone who thinks otherwise, in my humble opinion, is just way off the mark! Richo is the right man, with the right plan! Don't let nervous nellies tell you anything else!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Who cares?

Richo is employed by the Club to coach the players and develop a winning team. If that is not enough for some people, go find a coach named Daddo. I don't think we are a wealthy enough club to get Hugh Jackman.

Saint supporter since '62
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Oh, I forgot.

Our only premiership coach, Alan Jeans, was such a ball of laughs and a natural entertainer - wasn't he!

Saint supporter since '62
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I think his media work is fine. It has to be pretty dull speaking about footy because he can't give away trade secrets

But he is way better than Twatters or Lyin ever were at selling the club, which is part of his role to spruik St Kilda to the media and try and help sell more memberships and make us more appealing to the corporate dollar

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
supersaints
Club Player

Seems very focused and thinks before he speaks, isn't petulant like some mentioned. Think his pressures are well balanced in that he mentions good and bad. Is never a smart arse to the reporters like a lot of coaches. Handles the harder questions well. That being said its a minor role of any coach results will determine just how far he goes. In this regard I think he is evolving with the team rather well

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!