McCartin V Wright

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gone fission
Club Player

McCartin V Wright

The reported offer from the 2014 trade period was GWS giving us pick 4 & 7 in exchange for pick 1 in order to get Petracca.

With Wright, who is looking like a beast taken at pick 8 and McCartin potentially still around at pick 4, perhaps we missed a great opportunity in our rebuild.

Discuss.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin V Wright

Doubt that's true and McCartin is and will be be better.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

gone fission wrote:The reported offer from the 2014 trade period was GWS giving us pick 4 & 7 in exchange for pick 1 in order to get Petracca.

With Wright, who is looking like a beast taken at pick 8 and McCartin potentially still around at pick 4, perhaps we missed a great opportunity in our rebuild.

Discuss.
Melbourne would have taken Paddy at Pick 2 or 3. They were desperate for a KF to pair with Hogan, that's why they traded their 2016 1st pick for a 2nd 2015 1st round pick to take Weideman.

We would have ended up with DeGoey and the choice of a few others (including Wright, who had an underwhelming 2015) and no Goddard.

The deal was 1 & 21 for 4 & 7.

Paddy was & is the 100% right decision.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We should have picked Oleg Markov ahead of Bailey Rice (or Brandon White).

I never understood how he slid so far. It was obvious he was going to be a gun. His dad is a genuine world super star.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Navel gazing exercise!

Saint supporter since '62
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wright has certainly put up huge numbers. Impressive.

gone fission
Club Player

Animal Enclosure wrote:Paddy was & is the 100% right decision.
That's good to hear… unfortunately our track record is patchy at best, so it's worth a discussion.

Wright kicked 5 today and took 12 marks, can play in the ruck and is averaging twice as many effective disposals as Paddy this year. DeGoey looks pretty classy and Brayshaw would have been available too.

Paddy has plenty of time to show his stuff and does look likely so fingers crossed he can keep clear of head knocks for awhile.

Also interesting is after Hugh & McKenzie the Dogs took McLean & Webb - I've been pretty impressed with what I've seen from McLean so far, will be good to see Dan Mac back in the side this week.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Navel gazing exercise!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I seriously doubt 4 & 7 was ever offered. I think if it was then you would take it.
If we had got two of Marchbank, De Goey and Wright I think we would all be pleased.
But if you look at the points system 4 + 7 is worth 30% more than pick 1. So if it was actually offered I suspect we would have taken it.

The_President
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:We should have picked Oleg Markov ahead of Bailey Rice (or Brandon White).

I never understood how he slid so far. It was obvious he was going to be a gun. His dad is a genuine world super star.

Do you only ever post in hindsight to try and make yourself look like a football mind?

I bet you never posted about Markov in the lead up to the draft

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

WRight seemed to almost be ruck height and clubs seem to steer clear of taking rucks with really high picks. But that second ruck/tall fwd option is one most premiership teams have and he looks a good type for that - showed some incredibly sticky hands against us. But can he maintain his form is a big question for these big guys. As the game keeps getting quicker and they start getting some niggles than can start to look sluggish. We were desperate for a genuine power forward and Paddy seems a perfect fit for us. In a grannie I'd back Paddy over WRight - paddy is a genuine pack splitter who will send defenders flying, has great hands and is showing some real footy smarts. Long way to go.

loris
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:We should have picked Oleg Markov ahead of Bailey Rice (or Brandon White).

Do you only ever post in hindsight to try and make yourself look like a football mind?

I bet you never posted about Markov in the lead up to the draft
Hey El Presidento ............. In defence of Con he's hardly a hindsight poster when it comes to draft picks.

Gawd all through the years he STARTS threads incessantly on up coming drafts, who is showing form in under 18's comps etc., it's not only Vic country & Vic metro, he has a pretty good handle on WA & SA kids, plus info on WAFL &SAFL players etc.

I always laugh to myself when Con comes out with his latest predictions on who we should be looking at for the next season - and it is usually 4-5 months before drafts are coming up!!!!!
Hell if Con had his way, the Saints would have selected every kid that can tie up the laces on his footy boot. Saints would have first dibs on recruiting a list that long, other teams wouldn't be able to scratch a team together.
Time and time one reads the criticism of other posters to Con ............ 'Hey once again you've gone too early with that opinion Con", and Con usually takes it all in his stride. That old pest, plugger66 seemed to be the only person who got under his skin. The most admiring thing about Con, he admits when he has got it wrong. I just luv that about Con, a lot of posters never admit their errors.

Now I don't know if Con ever posted about Markov .................. there are way too many players Con has mentioned, before most of us have heard of them, so many of the names begin to jell into one, hence I can't recall Markove from Petrov, or cast of (f).!!!!!

Sure he often revisits after players have made or are starting to make a name for themselves with other clubs, and poses the question, 'what if?' If that is, only posting in 'hindsight', gee half the posters on this site can be accused of that I would argue.

Keep posting the way you do Con, your early predictions of young kids playing in the WAFL & junior teams here make me listen to & read information about them............ and one of them you mentioned years ago was Blake Acres, first I had ever heard of him was when Con mentioned him on Saintsational.

Con might get under your skin The President, but IMHO, he sure ain't just a hindsight poster.

Now, Con, as it's said, 'I'm sure you are big enough & ugly enough to take care of yourself', - however, I just had to come out swinging on your behalf - I really detest it when posters take one or a couple of posts, and make totally unjustified attacks on a poster, when their criticism is IMHO, totally untrue. :P

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wright has always played the majority of his footy (even TAC level) as a forward, what's even more surprising is that he has played as a mobile tall forward and not a stay at home. Interesting considering he is 203cm. He is an aerobic beast who records massive results in endurance.

He should have gone top 5 IMO no question

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

If my recollection is correct, this is what filtered out after that draft.

Despite the McCartin or Petracca conjecture, we had pretty much decided (early that year) that we wanted McCartin. Which was actually mundanely sensible, as smart list management demands that you grab key forwards (and to a lesser extent Key Defenders) as soon as you can. Richmond are still feeling the impact of overlooking Franklin & Roughead for Deledio & Tambling.

We also wanted Goddard and thought he would go in the top 10. Therefore, we did try and trade Pick 1, for Picks 4 & 7 for that reason, getting both McCartin & Goddard. The rationale being that GWS wouldn't take Paddy at 1, because they had an abundance of key forwards, Melbourne wouldn't take him at 2 or 3, because they had Hogan and desperately needed to build a midfield, leaving McCartin for us to take at 4 and then Goddard at 7.

In the end we got what we wanted without the trade as Goddard was still there at 20. I don't believe Petracca was ever on our radar.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Wright has always played the majority of his footy (even TAC level) as a forward, what's even more surprising is that he has played as a mobile tall forward and not a stay at home. Interesting considering he is 203cm. He is an aerobic beast who records massive results in endurance.

The Bulldogs should have taken him and saved a shitload of money that they tossed around for Boyd. Although I think he will turn out to be a forward/2nd Ruckman.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Two hundred centimetre Peter much better than Tom Boyd.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Wright has always played the majority of his footy (even TAC level) as a forward, what's even more surprising is that he has played as a mobile tall forward and not a stay at home. Interesting considering he is 203cm. He is an aerobic beast who records massive results in endurance.

He was touted as a number one at one stage.

suss
Club Player

Emma Quayle ranked him #2 behind Heeney so, in a way, we shouldn't be surprised.