Mark Jackson - Open Mike

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mark Jackson - Open Mike

saynta wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:I remember some years ago now, a Charity Boxing event between the NRL & AFL being televised, and one of the bouts was Jackson and Mal Meninga. When the ref brought the two men together Jackson was mouthing off at old Mal, banging his gloves together, getting in his face......all the usual bluff and bravodo. Meninga simply stood there calm and impassive. When the bell rang, Jackson came tearing in.......to a right hook from Meninga. Man he collapsed like a bag of shite! He was out COLD! Pretty much summed the guy up for mine!
Hahahaha that is fantastic. Would have loved to have seen that.

Whacko Jacko is an absolute creep. Just listen to what he said about women's involvement in the game in response to Sheahan's last question. He said something along the lines of that he thought women shouldn't be "inseminated" at the top level. What the hell was he on about?

As Bernard Shakey said: probably the worst person to wear a St.Kilda guernsey.
Yep.

He said that a couple of times. At least three.

I think he meant inserted.

As the jigstar said dumb as a dog turd.
But what a word to use. It made my skin crawl.

He is a complete stooge. Obviously possessed an abundance of talent, but just didn't have his head screwed on right. He's an individual, alright. Was certainly never a team player.

What bugged me was how he had the temerity to call our club the most self-destructive club in history. Golly, in terms of one sabotaging their career, he must be the epitome of the word. I hated how Sheahan decided he agreed with him on that statement. That was particularly weak.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
saynta wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:I remember some years ago now, a Charity Boxing event between the NRL & AFL being televised, and one of the bouts was Jackson and Mal Meninga. When the ref brought the two men together Jackson was mouthing off at old Mal, banging his gloves together, getting in his face......all the usual bluff and bravodo. Meninga simply stood there calm and impassive. When the bell rang, Jackson came tearing in.......to a right hook from Meninga. Man he collapsed like a bag of shite! He was out COLD! Pretty much summed the guy up for mine!

Whacko Jacko is an absolute creep. Just listen to what he said about women's involvement in the game in response to Sheahan's last question. He said something along the lines of that he thought women shouldn't be "inseminated" at the top level. What the hell was he on about?

Yep.

He said that a couple of times. At least three.

I think he meant inserted.

As the jigstar said dumb as a dog turd.
But what a word to use. It made my skin crawl.

He is a complete stooge. Obviously possessed an abundance of talent, but just didn't have his head screwed on right. He's an individual, alright. Was certainly never a team player.

What bugged me was how he had the temerity to call our club the most self-destructive club in history. Golly, in terms of one sabotaging their career, he must be the epitome of the word. I hated how Sheahan decided he agreed with him on that statement. That was particularly weak.
Agree. With all your comments. The guy is a very damaged, dangerous and ignorant flog

Winmar
Club Player

When challenged on anything his response was "so what" or something similar. He didn't take respond for anything that he did or that went wrong in his career.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:There are THOUSANDS out there like him. The intellect of a dog turd, but the "smarts" of an alley cat. Do I find this trait "admirable" or worthy of my respect? errrrrrrrr? not really.
Not true. Acts dumb but is quite smart. Great goal kicker and was able to build himself into a significant celeb in the 80's before your time in Oz. Plus made it in Hollywood with a movie and on TV for a bit. Fair effort for someone that you say has no brains.

His insight about goal kicking technique was interesting
Great goal kicker????? That's stretching it. He had some great games, but there was a reason he was moved on from 3 lowly clubs - not all because of his bad character. He doesn't ACT dumb, he is dumb. Yet he's smart enough to realise this, and was smart enough to capitalise on his limited abilities. He played 80 AFL games, hardly puts him in the 'great AFL goal kicker' category. Bit like saying a cricketer who's played 20 tests and averages 50 is a 'great run scorer of test cricket.' To say he 'made it' in Hollywood is a bit laughable as well. Yes, he made a movie, and it was terrible. He had no acting ability whatsoever, couldn't sing and once the curiosity factor of the public wore off he crawled back into the hole he came out of. He made a living out of making a fool of himself. Making money doesn't equate to intellect, depending on how it's made. Corey Worthington made a fair bit of money out of the public as well.

To go on National TV and yell insults at the host and talk over him is not smart - but it's typical of the character he displayed throughout his career

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I think you've judged his acting career harshly, Moods. The Highway Man is an all time classic. No less an authority than a senile old Mickey Rooney told us so. Like him being a "great goal kicker", he was, in his own universe, "a great actor".

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
ctqs
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:

Here it is ...

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Safe assumption that for a change, we're all in agreement on something.

Mark Jackson is a flog.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

3.76 goals per game. A goal in each of his first 79 games (a league record?) all at below average teams. He was a handy footballer.

His character probably cancelled any benefit to the teams, but I don't think he was ever sacked because of his football.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"