Cyril.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cyril.

Cyril is a matchwinner; fan favourite; great for the broadcasters' highlights; but I reckon Winmar s***s all over him as far as a better overall footballer with better skills. I also reckon we had another Saint in Gilly who had amazing skills. Gilbert McAdam could do everything Cyril can do and if Gilly was playing now in this Hwathorn team under Clarko, imo he'd be ranked higher than Cyril

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Cyril is the consumate professional.

I loved cuz. Don't think he was anywhere near as professional as Cyril though. His meltdowns were well recorded.

Nicky was amazing but so,too is cyril. I have seen both of them do amazing things.

Vastly different footballers. Nicky might shade Cyril on pure footballing ability,but Cyril has got him on skill and desperation.

Both matchwinners but Cyril would shade him here too.

Gilbert was good on his day, but not in the same league as the other too.

Don't think that there would be many in the footballing world who would rate McAdam in front of Cyril.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:Cyril is the consumate professional.

I loved cuz. Don't think he was anywhere near as professional as Cyril though. His meltdowns were well recorded.

Nicky was amazing but so,too is cyril. I have seen both of them do amazing things.

Vastly different footballers. Nicky might shade Cyril on pure footballing ability,but Cyril has got him on skill and desperation.

Both matchwinners but Cyril would shade him here too.

Gilbert was good on his day, but not in the same league as the other too.

Don't think that there would be many in the footballing world who would rate McAdam in front of Cyril.
Cyril is the new Michael Long now Long has got fat and over emotional. Although Long would run rings around him on a football field. So would Cuz and uncle Maurice. Cyril couldnt hold a candle to Winmar.

He is a media marketing hero and deserves every bit of it. He is the Aboriginal Tagh Keneally and will spend his retirement running footy development clinics and mentoring indigenous footy hopefuls.

His media profile is something most Australians wouldnt understand but it is significant.

His loyalty and commitment to a mainstream establishment like an AFL football club is very significant.

His respect for and understanding of his ancestral pathways and the pathway he has forged for young indigenous people is also very significant.

He is right up their with Kathy Freeman and Lionel Rose.

Anyone who cant recognise that is caught up in their own ignorance.

There are very few people who have achieved what he has.

Maurice Rioli was the best indigenous footballer Ive seen in the VFL/AFL. Long and Winmar werent far behind.

Cyril is the most successful and that is what counts.

Say what you like from your little computer desk but he deserves all the attention he gets.

Viking3
Club Player

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/f ... qobxr.html
Spot on by DHS re; conduct and impact.
Plenty of others wouldn't have been so lucky!
Cyril is a protected species.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Viking3 wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/f ... qobxr.html
Thought it was a ripping bump. Wasn't even a free kick during the match. Barely hit him in the head. Last time I checked the bump was still in the rules and paying free kicks for being a little rough belongs in the Under 10's.

supersaints
Club Player

When Michael long started out he could not kick over a jam tin, I recall him handballing to a team mate twenty meters out. He did turn into a reasonable to Good kick,but it took about two seasons. Winmar had sublime kicking skills from day 1

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:When Michael long started out he could not kick over a jam tin, I recall him handballing to a team mate twenty meters out. He did turn into a reasonable to Good kick,but it took about two seasons. Winmar had sublime kicking skills from day 1
IMHO, as a footballer, Long should never be mentioned as comparable to either Nicky or Cyril.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
supersaints wrote:When Michael long started out he could not kick over a jam tin, I recall him handballing to a team mate twenty meters out. He did turn into a reasonable to Good kick,but it took about two seasons. Winmar had sublime kicking skills from day 1
IMHO, as a footballer, Long should never be mentioned as comparable to either Nicky or Cyril.
The initial reference to Long was about media hype.

I dont rate Cyril that highly. Match winner in a Hawthorn squad but wouldnt build a team around him. Long had success with the bummers and rode it. I rate him a better player than Cyril.

Long was a favourite role model/celebrity. Cyril doesnt seem as engaged but is the same poster child for social inclusion.

Uncle and Cuz were not media savvy but were much better footballers.

Sorry

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
saynta wrote:
The initial reference to Long was about media hype.

I dont rate Cyril that highly. Match winner in a Hawthorn squad but wouldnt build a team around him. Long had success with the bummers and rode it. I rate him a better player than Cyril.

Long was a favourite role model/celebrity. Cyril doesnt seem as engaged but is the same poster child for social inclusion.

Uncle and Cuz were not media savvy but were much better footballers.

Sorry

No need to be sorry. I never rated Long. Dirty player in a dirty side.

I have already posted that I rated Cuz as a better footballer than Cyril, but that Cyril was more skillful.

Seen both of them do amazing things.

Cyril has already played in three premiership teams so his standing in today's game is well earnt.

It's all just someone's opinion.

Mine are widely shared in regards to Rioli.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Yep, Cyril is a protected species. Imagine if Jack Ziebel or Steven Baker did that, it would be 4 weeks or 10 weeks in Bakers case.

If the AFL continue to protect Cyril, opposition fans will get pissed-off and start booing Cyril. Then guess what, the Adam Goodes racist senario yet again...all caused by the AFL's corrupt practices.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:
Yep, Cyril is a protected species. Imagine if Jack Ziebel or Steven Baker did that, it would be 4 weeks or 10 weeks in Bakers case.

If the AFL continue to protect Cyril, opposition fans will get pissed-off and start booing Cyril. Then guess what, the Adam Goodes racist senario yet again...all caused by the AFL's corrupt practices.
The general footballing public wil never boo Cyril.

He's not a flog.

barneyboyz
Club Player

saynta wrote:
+1

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote:
saynta wrote:
+1
Long played for the NT at 18, played in Senior premierships at St Mary's at 16 and 17 won a best and fairest at West Torrens at 19 and was VFL recruit of the year at 20. Jam tins were a lot bigger back then apparently.

He was All Australian, got 4th in a Brownlow, won a Norm Smith and 2 premierships. Obviously a hack.

Oh and his name appears right next to Lockett's on the ALF Hall of Fame Legends list. Winmar's isnt there and neither is Cyril's yet. So thst does offer some credibility to this statement 'Long should never be mentioned as comparable to either Nicky or Cyril'

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

This is a very odd thread. People of course will swear black amd blue they arent racist but it seems very odd to single out an opposition player for some unknown reason. Cyril is a good player and seems like a decent bloke. Odd to single him out. Then to somehow pot Michael Long as well for some unknown reason.
If it iant racist it is all very peculiar.
Yes I get bruce and ch 7 love of cyril is annoying but that isn't cyril's fault. If u want to pot someone over that go to the source and criticize bruce for being a flog.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:This is a very odd thread. People of course will swear black amd blue they arent racist but it seems very odd to single out an opposition player for some unknown reason. Cyril is a good player and seems like a decent bloke. Odd to single him out. Then to somehow pot Michael Long as well for some unknown reason.
Yes I get bruce and ch 7 love of cyril is annoying but that isn't cyril's fault. If u want to pot someone over that go to the source and criticize bruce for being a flog.
I agree with you Con. It is very perculiar. I dont believe it is racially motivated but born more of ignorance.

I brought up Long because he was acclaimed the same way Cyril is now and the same way Goodes has been in the past, as a leader/role model or their indigenous brothers and sisters. Nicky, in his own way, was one of the greatest role models.

Taking all that crap to the side they are all very very good footballers and deserve the success they have had on the field.

Winmar Long and Goodes all stood up to racism and the AFL media rode it for all its worth.

Even if you are black, and I am, the only thing that matters to me in a football team is how you play the game. My dad was white and was also a pretty handy fotballer.

In the early 80's I can remember sitting outside the club rooms of my suburban Melbourne Club with all the black families of our young Koori footballers waiting to see if a koori kid, who kicked 60 goaks off a wing in 15 games would get his best and fairest award. He didnt. I never went to another presentation night again. The kid who won the award came straight out, apologised and tried to give the trophy away. It was thrown in a bin.

Long and Winmar stood up against that kind of s***. They are heroes of mine. In a pride match week I think the discussion is still very pertinent.

barneyboyz
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:This is a very odd thread. People of course will swear black amd blue they arent racist but it seems very odd to single out an opposition player for some unknown reason. Cyril is a good player and seems like a decent bloke. Odd to single him out. Then to somehow pot Michael Long as well for some unknown reason.
I agree with you Con. It is very perculiar. I dont believe it is racially motivated but born more of ignorance.

I brought up Long because he was acclaimed the same way Cyril is now and the same way Goodes has been in the past, as a leader/role model or their indigenous brothers and sisters. Nicky, in his own way, was one of the greatest role models.

Taking all that crap to the side they are all very very good footballers and deserve the success they have had on the field.

Winmar Long and Goodes all stood up to racism and the AFL media rode it for all its worth.

Even if you are black, and I am, the only thing that matters to me in a football team is how you play the game. My dad was white and was also a pretty handy fotballer.

In the early 80's I can remember sitting outside the club rooms of my suburban Melbourne Club with all the black families of our young Koori footballers waiting to see if a koori kid, who kicked 60 goaks off a wing in 15 games would get his best and fairest award. He didnt. I never went to another presentation night again. The kid who won the award came straight out, apologised and tried to give the trophy away. It was thrown in a bin.

Long and Winmar stood up against that kind of s***. They are heroes of mine. In a pride match week I think the discussion is still very pertinent.
This really could be post of the year.
I fully appreciate all that you have said CQ. I am unsure if there is any racist connotations to some posts, however for mine I love watching indigenous players...would've paid my money just to see Winmar play.

Yes, it is pretty easy to say that the others in Rioli, Long and Goodes were better, who knows really? The latter three all played in pretty good teams and won flags. I have very fond memories of Nicky and simply reckon that for all that he was and for all that he stood for and for how he played, he's my pick on the best of them all, it's just that simple for me

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Are you calling me a racist because i think Cyril is the most skillful footballer I have seen since the doc?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Strange post.

Who wants to pot Bruce for appreciating Cyril ffs?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Cyril just demolished North by quarter time.

And I apologise. My post above was clearly not aimed at the op.
I just mean the posters who claim Cyril is over rated. Crazy stuff. Long isnt over rated either.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Cyril just demolished North by quarter time.

And I apologise. My post above was clearly not aimed at the op.
I just mean the posters who claim Cyril is over rated. Crazy stuff. Long isnt over rated either.
All good then.

Race wasn't a consideration when I started this thread.

Long could be brilliant,but he was dirty. That's as a footballer.

I have great respect for him outside of football. A much respected person.