Gresham and acres

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Gresham and acres

I agree. Resting Gresham for fear of "Burning him out" is ridiculous. He learnt heaps from Sunday's win. As I said he could kick 5 any given week with some luck. If he is feeling the pinch give him the week off training. Just have him watch from on the ground.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Acres fine only

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

MRP Statement:

Blake Acres, St Kilda, has been charged with striking Matthew Kreuzer, Carlton, during the second quarter of the Round 20 match between St Kilda and Carlton, played at the MCG on Sunday August 7, 2016.

In summary, he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Carlton Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct with low impact to the body. The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction. The player has no applicable record which impacts the penalty. An early plea enables the player to accept a $1000 sanction.

Always loyal
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:MRP Statement:

Blake Acres, St Kilda, has been charged with striking Matthew Kreuzer, Carlton, during the second quarter of the Round 20 match between St Kilda and Carlton, played at the MCG on Sunday August 7, 2016.

In summary, he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available video evidence and a medical report from the Carlton Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct with low impact to the body. The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction. The player has no applicable record which impacts the penalty. An early plea enables the player to accept a $1000 sanction.
Outrageous...
Kreuzer made out like he'd been shot!
Is it worth $500 to challenge it?
Impact looked clearly below that required to constitute a reportable offence.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I reckon they've "realigned" the tummy tap; keep the $500 and move on. Not worth it.

Always loyal
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Take the penalty and hopefully learn something from it. Next time he'll get a week.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
The_Merchant wrote:Glad gresh wasn't rested this week as one of our posted constantly suggests.
Said poster has him pigeonholed as another small forward. He'll come around when he sees that Gresham is a gun midfielder.
Just making up lies hey BC. Gresh was obviously being groomed as an out and out mid eventually - played that in his junior days. Never said anything but that.

And Merch - Dunny on his possible second shoulder reconstruction as a third year player said to say hi. And Billings battling body problems and lost some of his spark says hi. And Lonie and Sincs who looked all class until they were made to tackle trucks in their first year want to say hi too as they battle away in the VFL where they look great because they actually get to use their skills instead of being bodies used for Richo' pressure obsession. And Armo who looks almost cooked after having to battle away inside like a tackling machine for the last 3 years wants to say hi too.

I don't see why you can't be rotating Gresh out a bit. He's looks the goods but there is no reason to over play him in his first year in such a demanding game style when we have guys like Eli, Sincs, Lonie, Curren, Murdoch who could all use a run.

Right now is actually the most dangerous phase of the rebuild. Richo's stocks will be sky high. The club will be in danger of being full of yes men and we get overconfident. Is there anyone who will be the devils advocate and keep asking the hard questions: "Should we be playing a guy like Wright so much just because he gets you immediate results when we have guys like Lonie and Sincs who have much more upside", "Is this game style sustainable?", "Why is Dunny getting so smashed around - could it be being played inside in the brutal heat of the kitchen straight for 3 years? Was that wise", "Are we rising too quick and lose access to the cream we need more of", "Should Gresh get a rest - he's valuable - why even risk burning him out at all?"

I reckon Pelchen would have asked these questions. Not sure they will be asked by any one else though. Its very easy to get over confident at this stage when it all looks like blue sky ahead. But the teams that have risen quicky and in a straight line - Port and Richmond - have tended to be the ones that have crashed and burned.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Gresh got top votes from the coaches this week. This match could be his first Brownlow votes.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Gresh for rising star!!

Love the Carlisle was the steak knives in the Gresham trade quote

Gold!!!

Love this kid. Looks indestructible as well - reckon he'll be one of those players that rarely gets injured

#1 Ryder fan
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
The_Merchant wrote:Glad gresh wasn't rested this week as one of our posted constantly suggests.
Said poster has him pigeonholed as another small forward. He'll come around when he sees that Gresham is a gun midfielder.
Just making up lies hey BC. Gresh was obviously being groomed as an out and out mid eventually - played that in his junior days. Never said anything but that.

And Merch - Dunny on his possible second shoulder reconstruction as a third year player said to say hi. And Billings battling body problems and lost some of his spark says hi. And Lonie and Sincs who looked all class until they were made to tackle trucks in their first year want to say hi too as they battle away in the VFL where they look great because they actually get to use their skills instead of being bodies used for Richo' pressure obsession. And Armo who looks almost cooked after having to battle away inside like a tackling machine for the last 3 years wants to say hi too.

I don't see why you can't be rotating Gresh out a bit. He's looks the goods but there is no reason to over play him in his first year in such a demanding game style when we have guys like Eli, Sincs, Lonie, Curren, Murdoch who could all use a run.

Right now is actually the most dangerous phase of the rebuild. Richo's stocks will be sky high. The club will be in danger of being full of yes men and we get overconfident. Is there anyone who will be the devils advocate and keep asking the hard questions: "Should we be playing a guy like Wright so much just because he gets you immediate results when we have guys like Lonie and Sincs who have much more upside", "Is this game style sustainable?", "Why is Dunny getting so smashed around - could it be being played inside in the brutal heat of the kitchen straight for 3 years? Was that wise", "Are we rising too quick and lose access to the cream we need more of", "Should Gresh get a rest - he's valuable - why even risk burning him out at all?"

I reckon Pelchen would have asked these questions. Not sure they will be asked by any one else though. Its very easy to get over confident at this stage when it all looks like blue sky ahead. But the teams that have risen quicky and in a straight line - Port and Richmond - have tended to be the ones that have crashed and burned.
Bluthy, my apologies for misrepresenting your views. I read between the lines, inaccurately it turns out.

I do reckon, though, Gresham has earned his spot ahead of the others you mentioned and would be unlikely to volunteer to rest a week to give one of them a run. Why should he?

Nor is he showing even the most remote signs of burn-out. In fact he is improving by the week. Let him loose, he's a keeper. Cheers
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 08 Aug 2016 8:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Gresh got top votes from the coaches this week. This match could be his first Brownlow votes.
Couple of 4's or a 5 and a 3 actually.

Haven't sat down and worked it out .

The_Merchant
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Dunstan popped his shoulder in a tackle, could have happened at any time regardless of if he had been rested or not. Billings wasn't playing in the middle when he started having leg issues, in fact he had them before he was drafted. He was eased into senior footy and hasn't really had to play in the middle. Neither has Gresham, last week being the first time he has had major midfield time. I just don't understand why you would want to rest him. Eli, Sinclair and Lonie are struggling at senior level because they are young and can't play for extended periods in the middle, perhaps the coaches feel they are better off playing extended midfield in vfl as it will benefit them in the long term.
Ricoh has an obsession with pressure because it is the only way we are going to get anywhere. We are not going to beat sides like the Giants with footskill and speed, pressure can be our differentiator. You can't turn that off and on at will, it needs to be our trademark.
Gresham should be playing in the ones as much as he can.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure that if a player needs a rest, the coaches would be the first to notice and react.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I just hope that Gresham turns out great like a lot of you are saying here because most of you were saying the same thing about Lonie and Sinclair and look at them this year.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Pelchen would have asked these questions. Not sure they will be asked by any one else though. Its very easy to get over confident at this stage when it all looks like blue sky ahead. But the teams that have risen quicky and in a straight line - Port and Richmond - have tended to be the ones that have crashed and burned.[/quote]

Bluthy I admire your passion and have spent some time reading over your posts about Richo's games style.

I just want to make a few points.

1. If there was a rule at St.kilda that first year players didnt have to tackle as much as other players we would be a laughing stock. Tackling and chasing is how you get the ball when you dont have it. Before the focus on pressure and tackling we werent getting it enough. We cant ask other teams to let Lonie and Sinclair have it a bit more often so they can have an easier development plan.

2. Billings is a professional footballer. He has missed a lot of football and has been injured a bit. s*** happens. His confidence wont come good in the magoos. That just doesnt happen. If it did someone would convince him he could do better at their club. He would certainly develop easier at a top 4 club but they rarely get top 4 draft picks unless they give up tried and true players. Billings will come good. He gets 20 touches just because he is skilled enough to find it where others can't. There are 20 players in the comp who's job is to play on him and stop him from getting the ball. Do you remember Robert Harvey and the brutal bashings he copped, Luke Ball too, Dal Santo, there have been lots. You have to overcome it. You cant avoid it. s*** we used to employ Baker to do the same thing to other sides. He was a beauty at it too.

3. We have been extremely cautious with our injured younger players (i.e McCartin, Billings and DMac)

4. I dont understand the yes men thing. Players decide when where and how they play not coaches. Coaches assess the direction of the team and the players fit in to that if they can, if they cant, they play in the VFL. Simple as that.

5. Look at our 4 big losses this year. They cost us finals. Assess what we didnt do in those matches compared to our most recent form. I do not understand how we will get confidence any other way than to impose our will and physical dominance over other teams that are prepared to thump our young blokes into submission and then embarrass them like they have netball skirts on.

6. We got Gresham because others thought he was too small. He has a point to prove. Going soft and hiding on the peripheral will not get him there. He wants to tackle trucks, so does Sinclair and Lonie. If they dont they will get run over. We picked them cause they have skill. They were born with it. They all slipped through the draft because they were missing an element. We are challenging them to riee to the occasion and discover parts of themselves that will grt them through.

Lonie is a show pony, pretty predictable in his style and got worked out quickly. When he was pressured by defensive tactics he was forced into unlikely positions and had the skill to make a few freakish goals, play for free kicks and pop up in low percentage positions. That approach got found out. Defensively he was ok but very small and ineffective against a close tagging defensive rebounder. Mav Weller isnt. Neither is Acres, Ross, Dunstan, Newnes or Armitage.

Weller Membrey Bruce and Riewoldt are kicking goals. Billing is getting 20 touches a game and has had over a dozen shots at goal.

Where do you want Lonie to play?

Minch has done his time, so has Shenton and Curren deserves a chance too.

Lonie needs to get a lot better, stronger and accountable.

I love the game plan. It gives me confidence that we are not going to be pushed around.

Sinclair missed significant development pre draft and is naking that time up now.

When we are as reliable, hardened and consistently competitive like Hawthorn Sydney and Adelaide, Lonie could be our Cyril or Eddie but not yet.

You are entitled to your opinion and I admire your honesty but I believe you are wrong and they way you berate Richo is unfair and unbecoming of a supporter.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:I just hope that Gresham turns out great like a lot of you are saying here because most of you were saying the same thing about Lonie and Sinclair and look at them this year.
I haven't written either of them off by any means. The difference at this stage is that Gresham is showing each week that he can cut it as a midfielder at AFL level.

I've still got high hopes for Sinclair, in particular, and Lonie. Spots may open up for them over the next couple of seasons. Both are young and slight and still building a tank.

Gresham appears to have all the equipment he needs already.

ctqs
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:I just hope that Gresham turns out great like a lot of you are saying here because most of you were saying the same thing about Lonie and Sinclair and look at them this year.
I haven't written either of them off by any means. The difference at this stage is that Gresham is showing each week that he can cut it as a midfielder at AFL level.

I've still got high hopes for Sinclair, in particular, and Lonie. Spots may open up for them over the next couple of seasons. Both are young and slight and still building a tank.

Gresham appears to have all the equipment he needs already.
Yeah but remember Gresham was a first rounder while the others weren't. That could explain why he's shown more early days.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Playon
Club Player

Both are pleasing