Salary Cap - Veterans???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Salary Cap - Veterans???

Does any know what guys like Roo Joey Dempster Fisher and Gilbert cost us on the cap. I know they are discounted and none of them are contracted beyond 2017 while a lot of youngers guys already feature in 2018's budget.

Just say we dont spend anything on high profile players for 2017. If there is $1.5mil spare now and 4 of these guys retire in the next 12 months surely we would be looking at a $3mil+ surplus in 2018.

Specifically, if we retired Fisher now what would we gain in cap space? Anyone?

What am I missing? Surely we are going to throw money this year and next!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: Salary Cap - Veterans???

As I have just posted on the Good Call /Bad Call thread, we should be concentrating on younger players who are not on the middle of their careers. Icant help with the cap space, someone with more knowledge would have to answer that one.

Wombat15
Club Player

i believe and this is what i heard either this year or last year. apparently roo, joey, dempster and fish aren't on the veterans cap purely because we need to reach the salary floor of 95%. hence why a lot of our rookie contracts at the moment are inflated and why we are linked with pretty much every bloke going around at the moment.
im happy to be wrong but only typing what i've been told.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Salary Cap - Veterans???

Edited due to out of date rules!

Always loyal
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Wombat15 wrote:i believe and this is what i heard either this year or last year. apparently roo, joey, dempster and fish aren't on the veterans cap purely because we need to reach the salary floor of 95%. hence why a lot of our rookie contracts at the moment are inflated and why we are linked with pretty much every bloke going around at the moment.
im happy to be wrong but only typing what i've been told.
Thanks Wombat. I heard the same but found it hard to believe. If its true we are in a smashing position.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:Edited due to out of date rules!
?