Fyfe to Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Fyfe to Saints

Not sure on the rules regarding how many (future) draft picks we can offer, though I'd be offering Longer and all the draft picks we can. Lyon might be keen on a Minch/Wright type as well. Would include Dunstan if he added any currency as well. Fyfe IMO is the equal best player in the league along with Danger. If he's open to coming to us we should do as much as possible to get him. I doubt Longer, Dunstan and pick 10 would get it done but I'd certainly offer it along with 1.2mil per year over 5 years to Fyfe.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Not sure on the rules regarding how many (future) draft picks we can offer, though I'd be offering Longer and all the draft picks we can. Lyon might be keen on a Minch/Wright type as well. Would include Dunstan if he added any currency as well. Fyfe IMO is the equal best player in the league along with Danger. If he's open to coming to us we should do as much as possible to get him. I doubt Longer, Dunstan and pick 10 would get it done but I'd certainly offer it along with 1.2mil per year over 5 years to Fyfe.
I think it might, MSG. Dangerfield, who I rate about the same as Fyfe, cost Geelong pick 9 and 28 plus Dean Gore (pick 55). Hardly a huge price. The difference I guess is that Danger could've gone under free agency rules and the crows cut their losses and took the picks. Got Wayne Milera with 9, so it looks like a promising trade. Think 9 this year, next year's second pick and one of Longer, Lonie, Sinclair or Minch might get it done, especially if they would lose him for just a compensatory pick the following year.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Fyfe says he is staying at the Dockers.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport ... yfe/#page1

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
1965 Saint
Club Player

I think you'll find that's not necessarily the case. He has just said that he'll be Fremantle next year. He hasn't signed an extension and has no plans to in the short term. He's just made that statement to hose down the speculation and to stop dipshit clubs like the Suns trying to do a deal now. Premature ejaculation Rodney.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

1965 Saint wrote:I think you'll find that's not necessarily the case. He has just said that he'll be Fremantle next year. He hasn't signed an extension and has no plans to in the short term. He's just made that statement to hose down the speculation and to stop dipshit clubs like the Suns trying to do a deal now. Premature ejaculation Rodney.
He saw the Danger circus and refuses to get distracted. He needs to just do his rehab, he's a Docker next year and the rest is just noise.
His management will work out his club after 2018. May not be Dockers.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SMS
Club Player

We have to get Fyfe Dusty or Omeara.

From what I hear its Omeara. People are worried about him but apparently we believe hes ok and on way to the saints.
If we can get omeara for 750k for 5 (and he came good) it would be the steal of the century as other gun mids like him start to get $1.2m.
Will be a hard sell for 1-2 years like freeman. All will be great though.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:We have to get Fyfe Dusty or Omeara.

From what I hear its Omeara. People are worried about him but apparently we believe hes ok and on way to the saints.
If we can get omeara for 750k for 5 (and he came good) it would be the steal of the century as other gun mids like him start to get $1.2m.
Geez these long term injury gambles worry me....
Who was the Nth gun we drafted who coulda been anything but wasn't?

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

There must be some part of the human brain that longs for a messiah.
Some god particle. Some religious zone.
This strong desire and belief that are we going to pull some big named messiah seems to be quite irrational on based on nothing but blind faith.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:There must be some part of the human brain that longs for a messiah.
This strong desire and belief that are we going to pull some big named messiah seems to be quite irrational on based on nothing but blind faith.
Instead of looking at players who want the big bucks maybe we should be looking for the gems among the rough like Membrey, Weller, Bruce, Roberton, Hickey, Longer, Savage and Dempster.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Smith

felix
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:There must be some part of the human brain that longs for a messiah.
Gary Ablett is son of God lets go after him.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Me too Teflon. I really can't understand all the salivating over O'Meara as though he's the mid that's going to make the difference. Hasn't played for two years, except for one reserves game in July when he was down the race before half time needing further surgery. Would be a fair bet to put money on him never playing another AFL game. Supremely optimistic to expect he's going to be a gun again who can reliably get on the park.
No way we should be even looking at him unless the price is a third rounder or less. We already have one guy with a bung leg who hasn't played and who cost us a second rounder.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

And don't forget another guy (our captain) who we all knew had a bung leg 3 years ago but look at him now!!!

Somehow Roo's knee is being managed and repairing and healing itself and miraculously the treatment has allowed him to keep playing at a high level in his 30's. Yes Jaeger is still on the comeback trail and hasn't fully recovered but the kid is only 22.

Secrets of Self-Repair

Orthopedic surgeons have long made attempts to lure the body into doing a better job of healing cartilage, ligaments and tendons. In recent years they have turned to what they call “biologics”—substances made from the patient's own blood and other tissues. One of the most popular is called platelet-enriched plasma (PRP), which was first used by oral surgeons to help regenerate bone and soft tissue in the jaw.
PRP is simple to produce and deploy: extract some blood from the patient, spin it in a centrifuge to concentrate the platelets, and then inject the resulting fluid into an injured joint or use it in combination with surgery. PRP is replete with growth factors and other substances that promote healing.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ee-repair/

The injury O'Meara suffered is a horrendous patella tendon tear and this takes a long time to heal with the muscles in the leg taking even longer to regain full strength.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/spo ... 9d885920d0

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:And don't forget another guy (our captain) who we all knew had a bung leg 3 years ago but look at him now!!!

Somehow Roo's knee is being managed and repairing and healing itself and miraculously the treatment has allowed him to keep playing at a high level in his 30's. Yes Jaeger is still on the comeback trail and hasn't fully recovered but the kid is only 22.

Secrets of Self-Repair

Orthopedic surgeons have long made attempts to lure the body into doing a better job of healing cartilage, ligaments and tendons. In recent years they have turned to what they call “biologics”—substances made from the patient's own blood and other tissues. One of the most popular is called platelet-enriched plasma (PRP), which was first used by oral surgeons to help regenerate bone and soft tissue in the jaw.
PRP is simple to produce and deploy: extract some blood from the patient, spin it in a centrifuge to concentrate the platelets, and then inject the resulting fluid into an injured joint or use it in combination with surgery. PRP is replete with growth factors and other substances that promote healing.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ee-repair/

The injury O'Meara suffered is a horrendous patella tendon tear and this takes a long time to heal with the muscles in the leg taking even longer to regain full strength.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/spo ... 9d885920d0

All well and good. But he hasn't played for two years......and when he did it was half a game and he then had to go for more surgery. What does that tell you about his capacity for recovery? Some players just have bad luck and their careers are shot down by injury at an early age. Luke Penny anyone.
Comparisons with Roo are not really relevant. Roo hasn't had a knee re-co. Roo was never out of the game for two years.

I hope for his sake I'm wrong and he's able to play again, but to consider spending a first round pick on him is madness IMO.

Risk management says no.
Likelihood of significant re-injury = High.
Consequences of re-injury = High
Asking price of player = High

Risk Management 101 says no, no and no.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I remember hearing J Dunstall talking about recruiting and said you just get the best players possible regardless of position. Makes sense as the cream usually rises to the top in big games.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Not sure on the rules regarding how many (future) draft picks we can offer, though I'd be offering Longer and all the draft picks we can. Lyon might be keen on a Minch/Wright type as well. Would include Dunstan if he added any currency as well. Fyfe IMO is the equal best player in the league along with Danger. If he's open to coming to us we should do as much as possible to get him. I doubt Longer, Dunstan and pick 10 would get it done but I'd certainly offer it along with 1.2mil per year over 5 years to Fyfe.
Fyfe is worth 2 x top 5 picks.

We wont even have one top 5 pick.

Offering up fringe players for Fyfe is laughable stuff.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Greg Denham was commenting on the radio the ther morning that West Coast will look to draft a ruckman next year knowing that Natanui will be out.

He talked about them doing what they need to to get Lobe from GWS.

I wonder if Longer or Holmes would be of interest to them?

The other one was a comment from Brian Waldron regarding Prestia to Richmond. He said although he's nominated them - Gold Coast have said they don't want any of Richmond players. And, they already have higher draft picks than Richmond - so it will be difficult to get the trade done for them.