Our Picks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Our Picks

We came 9th, call it 10th bottom.
We presently have picks
first round 10,
second round 28,
third round 46,
fourth round 64,
fifth round 82
That is before trading begins

Before the AFL grants Brisbane a priority pick.
Before the AFL gifts clubs draft picks for loss of free agents.
Before the AFL allows the 4 northern clubs to queue jump for Academy players.
Before the AFL allows all clubs to queue jump if they have any father-son choices.

We have already SOLD our second round pick presently pick 28 for Hammy Freeman.
Our first round pick will slide due Academy players to around pick 14.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our Picks

The AFL are the gift that keeps giving to Swans and GWS.

We just get the scraps

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Playon
Club Player

I agree the whole Academy picks are nothing but a wrought, the rest I dont have a problem with. When does the new zone picks start?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Absolute joke that GWS are still queue jumping. They finish 4th and already have one pick ahead of us. Chances are they will end up with two ahead of us.
Just an out and out joke.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Haven't bothered looking at prospects just yet. What top 5 prospect is Sydney getting this year?

What an absolute joke this system is, 20 years and the swans have missed finals what? 3 times? and never in consecutive years? Gee what a terrifically well run club, whats their secret to success? Anything to get AFL into the NSW promise land. Execs are and always will be $$$'s before all else.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Isn't our second round off to the Pies for Freeman last year?

EDIT: Never mind, you mentioned that up top.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

why don't the other clubs do something about it ?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Absolute joke that GWS are still queue jumping. They finish 4th and already have one pick ahead of us. Chances are they will end up with two ahead of us.
Why do they have a pick ahead of us?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Its a disgrace and enough to put you off the game tbh

What hope do lessor Melb clubs really have? How much harder for them to compete and win a flag than the 'big' clubs?

joke.

“Yeah….nah””
lintonstreet
Club Player

Here's the real question, what should we do with pick 10?

Draft or trade?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

lintonstreet wrote:Here's the real question, what should we do with pick 10?

Draft or trade?
Draft, unless we can somehow bundle it and move up the order. Super strong draft this year, a top ten pick is gold.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

the AFL need to equalise the draft. academy pick concessions need to be a lot tougher. ft concessions picks should be second rounder at best, or a player trade if clubs and players can agree. the only pick that should interfere with any clubs first rounders is a priority - and they should only be given if three years or more in bottom three, and no more than one per club in any decade.
but the afl don't have equalisation as the main priority of the draft - they have entrenchment of success for clubs in potential highest return markets.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:the AFL need to equalise the draft. academy pick concessions need to be a lot tougher. ft concessions picks should be second rounder at best, or a player trade if clubs and players can agree. the only pick that should interfere with any clubs first rounders is a priority - and they should only be given if three years or more in bottom three, and no more than one per club in any decade.
but the afl don't have equalisation as the main priority of the draft - they have entrenchment of success for clubs in potential highest return markets.
It should be sink or swim now for the expansion clubs and the earlier ones in non AFL states.

What a f****** rort that Sydney will probably win another flag this year and is a permanent fixture in the finals because - in the words of the dim-witted former head of the league - the AFL needs a strong Sydney.

f*** me, what a disgrace of a sporting competition it has become. A laughing stock when it comes to integrity.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The AFL has as much integrity as the WWE. AFL integrity. An oxymoron.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
the dome
Club Player

AFL getting jiggy with it

Jigging the system to keep the loyal sons north of the Vic border in cream for the rest of their lives. Is this comparable with the politicians giving themselves an extra leg up or is it more like our very special banks holding more and more of most people's hard earned ??

I think I better get a panadol.

But wait, for us Saintly crew there is still some hope, Pick 10 you say,
well our recruiting brains trust could conceivably nominate a very good player from the Nat Draft to deck out in red white & black.

If so this could make all the difference to a Saintly emergence.

Vazelos
Club Player

Griggsy wrote:Haven't bothered looking at prospects just yet. What top 5 prospect is Sydney getting this year?

What an absolute joke this system is, 20 years and the swans have missed finals what? 3 times? and never in consecutive years? Gee what a terrifically well run club, whats their secret to success? Anything to get AFL into the NSW promise land. Execs are and always will be $$$'s before all else.

Spot on brother!!!!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:
Griggsy wrote:Haven't bothered looking at prospects just yet. What top 5 prospect is Sydney getting this year?

Spot on brother!!!!
NSW is such a big market....the $$$ rules above all else. Same thing has happened to cricket.

Has happened to big sport all over the world.

Agree it's a joke that the system is so unbalanced. Sydney and GWS getting so much help. Then there's the stadium deals.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Absolute joke that GWS are still queue jumping. They finish 4th and already have one pick ahead of us. Chances are they will end up with two ahead of us.
Well for example if there is an Academy kid nominated at say pick 7, 8 or 9 - then GWS can jump in ahead of us and use points from later picks.

Example : Will Setterfield.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-30/c ... form-guide
POS: Midfielder, Ht 190cm, Wt 80kg, DOB 5/2/98
From Sandringham Dragons/NSW-ACT/GWS Academy

Clubs like early picks who they know can be used in a range of positions at the next level, a factor that makes Setterfield an appealing prospect. Setterfield's size and athleticism means he can be used all over the ground, be it as a rebounding half-back, a wingman, inside and outside midfielder, and even across half-forward. He is strong over the contest, a nice kick, and can glide across the ground. He's a smooth footballer who doesn't get flustered. GWS will get first call on Setterfield under the rules for its academy players.
Then they get a player/pick before us right?

To add insult to injury Setterfield is playing at the Dragons.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 02 Sep 2016 1:59pm, edited 2 times in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
Well for example if there is an Academy kid nominated at say pick 7, 8 or 9 - then GWS can jump in ahead of us and use points from later picks.
That's just wrong.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
That's just wrong.
No it isnt. If Setterfield gets nominated by another club (or by us) at or before our pick - then GWS can get him under the points system and get a discount. How am I wrong? Please explain. Is Callum Twomey also wrong when he says this:
GWS will get first call on Setterfield under the rules for its academy players.
So we dont understand the rules but you do? How do you think GWS got Hopper last year with pick 7 after finishing 12th?
How do you think the Swans got Mills with pick 3 after finishing 4th?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_AFL_draft

You and Kosi clearly both dont understand the rules. I am 100% correct. Maybe give Callum a call and explain the rules to him as well seeing you guys seem to understand them better than him in your own mind.

I wont expect an apology from you blokes though. You just love dishing it out even when you are blatantly wrong.

The point stands - GWS can finish top 4 and still get a pick ahead of us. This is just an indisputable fact yet you still somehow want to argue the toss on it.

Are you a mod? Suspend yourself for vexatious baiting. Having an echo buddy doesnt make you right it just makes you both a bully and still wrong. Real s*** blokism to try and jump in with Kosi and 'gang up' even when you are both so clearly wrong on such a simple fact.

resaintlee
Club Player

I'm sorry Con, but it appeared to me that all St Byron was implying was that it is wrong that GWS can actually do this. Not that you were wrong.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I believe one of the issues last year with the new system was that northern clubs could stockpile picks that they could then use to match bids (under the points system)

So for instance Mills was taken with Swans offering picks 33,36,37,43 to match the points required

This year the AFL have addressed this by clubs not been allowed to have hidden picks
The AFL has made one change to its bidding system that will come into immediate effect this year, with clubs no longer able to access 'hidden picks' during the draft.

It means clubs will only be able to enter the draft with the number of selections that matches the available primary list positions at that time.

Last year some clubs entered the draft with more picks than they had available spots on their list. The extra picks were purely held so they could pay for academy prospects that attracted early bids.

The rule tweak means if a club needs to use multiple selections in matching a bid, and therefore require extra selections to be filled on its list, the new draft picks would be given to the club at the back of the draft so not to impact other clubs' picks.

Clubs not being able to use 'hidden' picks means they cannot store points in late draft picks that they never intended to use.
I think this is going to make it a lot harder for the northern clubs as these clubs won't have the amount of picks to be able match the bid

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
The_President
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
st.byron wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
That's just wrong.
No it isnt. If Setterfield gets nominated by another club (or by us) at or before our pick - then GWS can get him under the points system and get a discount. How am I wrong? Please explain. Is Callum Twomey also wrong when he says this:
So we dont understand the rules but you do? How do you think GWS got Hopper last year with pick 7 after finishing 12th?

You and Kosi clearly both dont understand the rules. I am 100% correct. Maybe give Callum a call and explain the rules to him as well seeing you guys seem to understand them better than him in your own mind.

I wont expect an apology from you blokes though. You just love dishing it out even when you are blatantly wrong.

The point stands - GWS can finish top 4 and still get a pick ahead of us. This is just an indisputable fact yet you still somehow want to argue the toss on it.

Are you a mod? Suspend yourself for vexatious baiting. Having an echo buddy doesnt make you right it just makes you both a bully and still wrong. Real s*** blokism to try and jump in with Kosi and 'gang up' even when you are both so clearly wrong on such a simple fact.
Jesus Christ. Someone's got an inferiority complex.

The_President
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
st.byron wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
That's just wrong.

Me, me, me, me, meeeeeeeee, me, me, me, me, me, me, ME, MEEE, MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
st.byron wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
That's just wrong.

How predictable! One guy agrees with you and one asks you a question and you respond like this.

I haven't laughed so much since I said 77 divided by 8 is less than 10 and you told me "and you were wrong and you know you were wrong and I know you know you were wrong"

And you want an apology!

By the way, they do not "already have one pick ahead of us" which is why I asked the question.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"