Game plan changes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Game plan changes

Without wishing to call me?... What I obviously am?...

Not a lot of that makes sense??

Without wishing... You can wish whatever you like?

And

Not sure we've met, have we?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Did I ever say older blokes can't learn NEW things

Or

Did I say older player find it hard to improve things they have been doing for 15-20 years

Maybe get it right before spruiking...

It has something to do with unlearning... What would I know though, only have a degree in Sports Science with a major in Movement Anaylsis and Exercise Physiology???
Plus there's the psychomotor element to be considered
Habitual habits are harder to get of than herpies

Otherwise every player would just keep on improving with training over time
Travis Cloke, Daniher, Richardson, Riewoldt... List goes on

Btw
Any player can have good and bad days... Be over or under sold ... And get better through game sense, other than skill development.
Roo kicke 3g 15b over a 4 game stretch this season.
Over what 4 games did Roo kick 3.15? I can see where he kicked 8 behinds over 4 games but 15?

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/ ... html#20160

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Oops,

I looked at hi touts over that period, rather than behinds... Sorry about that

He kicked 2-8 across those games

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

And Roo learnt how to kick at goal in a new way this year.

I was lucky enough to be speaking to Weller, Hickey and Ross at the B&F about how impressed I was with the number of players that had really improved this year. They mentioned that Roo should be included in such an assessment.

Now it did flash across my mind about what Degrees in Sport they had to make such an opinion. But yeh, na....I just went with that had eyes too.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Did you say 'new ways'?

Although I'm not sure his actual action changed one bit... Just his approach to the action. I remember the GC game ax a beauty at 0.5

And his fragility away from Etihad..

We all have eyes, some are trained... Mav, Hickey and Ross... Are more trained than you.

The players are instructed on how to communicate with punters
Suffice to say, they are being generous with the time they give them... But not always open with supporters with good reason.

Judging by some of your posts... I am sure you have never been involved in sport... Either through qualification, training, profession or participant? Am I correct???

You are probably a Keyboard Warrior who wishes they had been really involved at some level. Nothing wrong with being an arm chair critic... But to sprout that your knowledge comes through a few brief conversations with a couple of kids who are just being nice, and humouring supporters is not really something?!

Are you really bagging me for letting you know that my background, actually qualifies me to suggest unlearning an ingrained skill is very difficult in an open skill (kicking)
Players will have good and bad days... Years also... But to make a significant alteration is generall detrimental for a period, before there is improvement... Due to inconsistency of movement... And it no longer being autonomous.

There can be a placebo effect... This is where a player (roo) becomes so concerned with technique... He loses the pychomotor issues of outcome. This is generally a short lived improvement.

I remember Nick trying at least 4 different approaches
Knee in the face...with head not looking up at all... Was a failed mechanical change
Two step and kick
Long run up, and almost kicking on the run
And now... Scratch the ground and kick very quickly from a short run... Across body from 45

New Skill acquisition is a bit different... And a quicker process. For obvious reasons.

SR
You can continue to mock me... I will not be perturbed, not one bit.
My entire working life has centred around skill acquisition.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Why are you always so angry?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Because I don't accept smart arse wannabes who make little insults because they don't have to worry about being challenged.

I'm not angry though... I'm just firm in what I stand for...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Did you say 'new ways'?
Yes
BigMart wrote:Although I'm not sure his actual action changed one bit... .
Really. So when exactly then did Roo start shooting at goal SJ like on occasion such as we saw in the last game?

When did Roo master the banana kick at goal?

As you maintain that Roo has not changed at kicking at goal you will be able to answer this.

Also back when Roo had the yips he also tried various actions. So I cannot understand how you can state that Roo's action has changed not changed one bit.

I also find it most odd that Roo only has only the one kicking action. Surely you understand that banana kicks have a different action? This is a new skill that Roo was not the master of earlier in his career. In my opinion Roo has mastered for him a new skill later in his career.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
Judging by some of your posts... I am sure you have never been involved in sport... Either through qualification, training, profession or participant? Am I correct???
Your accuracy is maintained.

In sailing. Won several state titles. Numerous club honours and various races like the Around French Island Race.
In hockey. Won State Schoolboy Championship.
In rowing. Was a Boat Rowing Officer for a number of years
In AFL. Used to help a Director at Fitzroy that was responsible for player welfare

Represented the school in cricket, volleyball, hockey and soccer. The footy team was hard to crack into and had two future AFL players in it in Emmett Dunne and Bernie Conlan when I was there. Played squash for many years including on the StKFC squash courts back when we still had them.

To the top
SS Life Member

Why even worry about what someone who can not comprehend a written comment plus can not add past 7?

Ignore.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
BigMart wrote:

In sailing. Won several state titles. Numerous club honours and various races like the Around French Island Race.
In AFL. Used to help a Director at Fitzroy that was responsible for player welfare

Represented the school in cricket, volleyball, hockey and soccer. The footy team was hard to crack into and had two future AFL players in it in Emmett Dunne and Bernie Conlan when I was there. Played squash for many years including on the StKFC squash courts back when we still had them.
No one's perfect. 3 out of 4 isn't inaccurate.

I still don't see anything that remotely qualifies you to provide anything other than an ordinary punters opinion. I thought you were building towards some credibility when it came to providing footy opinion or some type of expert opinion but....I'm sure you know more than most of us when it comes to sailing and rowing.

Well done to you on your achievements

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Can we get some consensus - exactly how big does your wanger need to be before you can post an opinion on this site?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Please stop bickering and hijacking the thread.

supersaints
Club Player

freely wrote:Can we get some consensus - exactly how big does your wanger need to be before you can post an opinion on this site?
Good one for a poll....

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:
freely wrote:Can we get some consensus - exactly how big does your wanger need to be before you can post an opinion on this site?
Good one for a poll....
Poll? Pole? I see what you did there ss. I've always wanted a ten-inch penis, so when I finally got enough money for the operation, I got the urologist to shorten mine by three inches. Boom tish!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
BigMart wrote:

No one's perfect. 3 out of 4 isn't inaccurate.
Your logic is flawed as BigMart reference clearly was that I had never been involved in sport in anyway and not that I not been involved in all 4 of those aspects of sport.

BigMart stated that I have never been involved in sport. I have. I am unsure as to why you struggle to understand as to why his claim was inaccurate.

Scollop wrote: I still don't see anything that remotely qualifies you to provide anything other than an ordinary punters opinion. I thought you were building towards some credibility when it came to providing footy opinion or some type of expert opinion but....I'm sure you know more than most of us when it comes to sailing and rowing.

Well done to you on your achievements
I have never claimed to be an expert. The point here is that BigMart wants to say he is right because he has a piece of paper. He claims that older players cannot learn new skills.

I have pointed out that Roo did not use to be able to execute banana kicks on goal successfully, but today he can. I only need eyes to know this from having watched him play at the games throughout his career. Roo has IMO has mastered a new skill late in his career. BigMart maintains this is impossible.

BigMart instead of backing up his claim with a factual ( and when he has raised facts he has done so inaccurately and so much for academic rigour) and/or logical discussion typical BigMart style prefers to try and go on a "my dick is bigger than your" rant and when that limp argument fails to work instead then goes off on an angry rant to to attempt abuse and belittle. None of which phases me.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Couple of things sailor

You get confused between changing a skill and learning a new skill. Again.

That the 90 degree snap is not a banana kick, it's the opposite. It is something that most footballers have done in general play forever... But only recently used from a set shot. It's not a difficult thing to do, kicking across your body.

I don't just have a piece of paper. I coach sport for a living. That doesn't make me anything other than able to make some informed comment on skill acquisition.

I don't know or care if you played croquet or whatever... I just assumed from your commentary that you had a limited understanding of skill acq. And movement Anaylsis

Btw
I'm glad you played school footy. Most people did. Some continued to play until they were 40. Over 25 years.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
Btw
I'm glad you played school footy. Most people did. Some continued to play until they were 40. Over 25 years.
I really hope you graduate soon.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Couple of things sailor
Is that meant offend?

I love how when you cannot make a logical argument how you always revert to a hissy fit, calling names etc. And roll out trust me I am a god of the football world....all to avoid answering the question that was asked.
BigMart wrote: You get confused between changing a skill and learning a new skill. Again.

I love how you attempt to redefine things. The original discussion was about players improving their kicking and you were steadfast in that it does not happen to "older" players. So I am not at all confused. I am just very clear that you are just being BigMart again.
BigMart wrote: That the 90 degree snap is not a banana kick, it's the opposite. It is something that most footballers have done in general play forever... But only recently used from a set shot. It's not a difficult thing to do, kicking across your body.
Ooops..Bigmart you slipped up there by stating it was only recently used.

"Again" You really cannot grasp that I am talking about Roo kicking in two different ways can you? "Again" A BigMartism in attempting to redefine things. The banana from near the boundary, and the "90 degree" snap as you wish to call it that Roo rolled out in the last game where he in the past would have just gone back and kicked straight. Perhaps if you actually attended a St Kilda game you would gain some understanding.

So once again a simple question. When at AFL level did Roo successfully and repeatedly kick banana kicks at goal?
BigMart wrote: I don't just have a piece of paper. I coach sport for a living. That doesn't make me anything other than able to make some informed comment on skill acquisition.

I don't know or care if you played croquet or whatever... I just assumed from your commentary that you had a limited understanding of skill acq. And movement Anaylsis

Btw
Is this where I am meant to worship you? It really burns in your gut that forumites on here and at BigFooty do not do so.

PS: My daughter who sits beside me at the football, who was an elite rower, is a paid professional coach, has basically completed pretty much the same degree as you, also thinks that Roo never used to successfully kick banana kicks, but now can.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: Btw
BTW This thread is full of baseless assumptions from yourself. You lack academic rigour in your thinking and analysis.
BTW The reason I did not play team sport on the weekends when I was younger was not due to lack of talent on my part, nor offers to play in various teams, nor desire to do so, but rather unfortunately as I had to work (as in was given no choice) weekends in the family business from the age of 10-19. For the same reason I only rarely saw a StKilda game live till I was 18 and mainly games that my StKilda supporting Nan wanted to attend. Over the summer holidays as there was no school I would work during the weekdays and was thus allowed to race on the weekends.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I've got another baseless assumption for you
I put it to you;
<<< MOD EDIT. POSTER WARNED TWICE FOR RULE BREACHES IN THIS POST. BORDERLINE PERMANENT BAN BUT POSTER GIVEN THE BENEFIT OF POSTING HISTORY AND LONG TERM MEMBERSHIP >>>

felix
Club Player

WHOA that's getting extreme Scollop you must be BM best buddy.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:I've got another baseless assumption for you
I put it to you; that MOD EDIT
You are one classy guy. At least we now know what your family business entails though.

Sorry to disappoint you but it was builders laboring and carpentry in my case.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

What this thread needs is Mr Sippos to post and provide some balance on some of what's being written on here. :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.