Saints Women's team delay?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Saints Women's team delay?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/womens-afl ... t80tn.html
Geelong and St Kilda, both granted provisional licences for 2018, told Fairfax Media they were working on the initial assumption that having narrowly missed fielding foundation women's teams they would be given that opportunity in year two of AFL Women's.

Both expressed fears their developing women's ranks would be preyed upon by the national licence holders before they were handed the opportunity to join the AFLW competition.

However AFLW boss Simon Lethlean confirmed the prevailing view was that the competition should be consolidated over two seasons with the fixture unlikely to expand beyond seven home-and-away rounds in 2018 and the game focused upon developing the growth of female talent over 2017 and 2018.
>>>>>>>>>>>>
The Saints have created partnerships with Seaford and St Kilda City women's teams and will host the AFL Victoria Southern Women's Academy at the Linen House Centre.

Finnis said he shared Geelong's concerns that his club had no hold over the women's talent it was developing and that any delays to expanding the competition would only further boost the established sides.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Junior
Club Player

Re: Saints Women's team delay?

My daughter is part of the AFL vic academy, has been split into two groups one out at Essendon on Tuesday nights and Seaford on Thursday nights.

Darren Flanigan runs it , they have unbelievable access to the clubs facilities and it is an elite program with all kinds of resources being made available with coaches and support staff for everything.

Was hoping that St Kilda would be using the opportunity to assess the players , but no real point if they are not in the competition next year.

My daughter is desperate for the Saints to get a team, she is loving training at Seaford must say I am excited too seeing her train at the Saints headquarters.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

How can any saints supporter follow the woman's league without a saints team in it?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I can't and won't be paying any sort of attention unless Saints get a team.
If we do, and we play at Moorabbin regularly, I'll be there to support them.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:How can any saints supporter follow the woman's league without a saints team in it?
I'll be looking on with some degree of interest, but certainly not following a team. But like Millarsaint, won't be attending any games until we get to enter a team.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:I can't and won't be paying any sort of attention unless Saints get a team.
If we do, and we play at Moorabbin regularly, I'll be there to support them.
Ditto mate. With bells on

I follow St Kilda, not footy in general.