Midfield still a worry

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Midfield still a worry

One player got close to 30 possessions (Ross had 29)

The rest got under 20. Just not good enough. Billings is turning into a massive disappointment. Too many of them go missing. Clearance were a huge improvement, but in the end we really struggled to transition the ball up the ground. And when we do get it we are often butchering it. Our fwds did well to convert inside 50's into scores - albeit often inaccurately.

This game was a bitter pill to swallow. we had them, if not for some 'once in a season poor umpiring' and a complete lack of composure when we needed it we could have snuk a win.

Are we fit enough or are we putting huge efforts throughout the game which is causing us to run out of puff?

Statsman
Club Player

Re: Midfield still a worry

Too many one paced midfielders without enough polish. This won't be the midfield that wins our next flag. To improve we need to recruit 2-3 gun free agent midfielders.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan did his usual.
Played 2 good quarters.
Got me thinking he was ok.
Then was completely cooked.
Must be the worst runner in the AFL.
Was absolutely cooked in the last.
Can never crack 20 disposals because he is such a terrible runner.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Our lack of run in our mids and flankers kills us late in games.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

See this is where Ross freaks me out. He had 29? And yet for some reason I barely noticed him. I think because he doesn't make a lot of big plays. You do need the accumlator types but I still question how damaging he is with it.

Statsman
Club Player

Other than Steven, we don't really have a damaging midfielder.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:See this is where Ross freaks me out. He had 29? And yet for some reason I barely noticed him. I think because he doesn't make a lot of big plays. You do need the accumlator types but I still question how damaging he is with it.

You barely noticed him? Very noticeable with his new Gomer Pyle haircut and was a noticeable standout. If you watched, rather than listened, to the game.

Saint supporter since '62
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Steven was pretty average

Ross was excellent

Dunstan was Dunstan... just not enough ball, through out the game

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:See this is where Ross freaks me out. He had 29? And yet for some reason I barely noticed him. I think because he doesn't make a lot of big plays. You do need the accumlator types but I still question how damaging he is with it.
Really? I thought he was very good tonight, and it was even more noticeable to me how much he got it because I thought last week he had a shocker.

But Newnes is worrying me, I just don't think he's 100% fit.

Always loyal
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Dunstan did his usual.
Played 2 good quarters.
i think you watch dunstan with one eye. watch the game again and have a look how involved he is, and the smart little touches he adds that don't get recorded. was very good tonight.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Personally I didn't think one mid was in our best 5 players. Ross maybe 5th best. Mids should be your best players. The amazing thing is, we still could have and should have won the game, save some awful unpiring and a bit more composure.

I look at Sam Mitchell tonight. Almost every possession set something up. I reckon he would have had 6 goal assists. If you're going to have 20 possesions then make them count. Too many nothing possessions for mine or butchered kicks.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
Played 2 good quarters.
i think you watch dunstan with one eye. watch the game again and have a look how involved he is, and the smart little touches he adds that don't get recorded. was very good tonight.
Thats what I am saying. He was bloody brilliant at times. Brilliant. Like a star player. Dusty Martin like.
The trouble is Dusty was averaging 25 disposals at the same age as Luke. Luke always gets stuck in the teens.
He cant get up to that level because he gets too tired. He couldnt run at all in the last.
He just frustrates me because his best is very good. Very good. But then he ends up the game buggered.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Personally I didn't think one mid was in our best 5 players. Ross maybe 5th best. Mids should be your best players. The amazing thing is, we still could have and should have won the game, save some awful unpiring and a bit more composure.

I look at Sam Mitchell tonight. Almost every possession set something up. I reckon he would have had 6 goal assists. If you're going to have 20 possesions then make them count. Too many nothing possessions for mine or butchered kicks.
Yep. Steven and Acres kept breaking free from traffic and running out of packs in to the clear - then kicking a grubber or a complete shank. It was bizarre at times.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
desertsaint wrote:
Played 2 good quarters.
Thats what I am saying. He was bloody brilliant at times. Brilliant. Like a star player. Dusty Martin like.
The trouble is Dusty was averaging 25 disposals at the same age as Luke. Luke always gets stuck in the teens.
He cant get up to that level because he gets too tired. He couldnt run at all in the last.
He just frustrates me because his best is very good. Very good. But then he ends up the game buggered.
True, but he wasn't alone, and had worked harder than all bar perhaps ross and steven - i'm starting to think it's more a problem with our conditioning staff.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I certainly noticed him.

He was brilliant at times.

Clearly our best player.

Doesn't fumble like a lot of his team mates but needs to improve his goal kicking to be elite.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I missed the game (we were at the comedy festival --- Daniel Kitson - very good)

But it sounds like our midfield did very well against one of the best in the league?

If we had either kicked straight or got a fair deal from the umpires, we would have won.

Personally, I look forward to D-Mac getting a regular gig

Nee!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The more Freo play like Lyon has lost the players, the better our chances at Fyfe get. They look full on s*** and have 4 more years of Ross' grinding, depressing style to come. Lyon could still come through for us yet by giving Fyfe a good reason to leave.

wally
Club Player

I fear unfortuneately that we may always struggle to attract really good players.
Money isn't the biggest incentive.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:I missed the game (we were at the comedy festival --- Daniel Kitson - very good)

But it sounds like our midfield did very well against one of the best in the league?

If we had either kicked straight or got a fair deal from the umpires, we would have won.

That doesn't necessarily translate to our midfield playing well. They were great in the 1st quarter, but we were beaten and in some quarters beaten quite badly there after

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
fugazi wrote:I missed the game (we were at the comedy festival --- Daniel Kitson - very good)

That doesn't necessarily translate to our midfield playing well. They were great in the 1st quarter, but we were beaten and in some quarters beaten quite badly there after
How the hell did we manage 32 shots on goal if our midfield played shite?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
Moods wrote:

Just out of curiosity, who did you think played well? Ross and......?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
Moods wrote:

Just out of curiosity, who did you think played well? Ross and......?
As a team we played well - 32 shots on goal is proof - now answer my question

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:Other than Steven, we don't really have a damaging midfielder.
Yep. We need him back this week. Also, Gresham and Acres need much more time at the clearances.

There's a look of sameness there at the moment ... Dunstan, Ross, Steele, Armo.

All good players (Ross in particular) but not a lot of X-factor, breakaway speed or game-changing impact. I can't see us challenging until we get some real star quality in there to complement Steven and Hickey.

longtimesaint
Club Player

The way the Hawks are going we might get a top 5 pick this year!

One year will be our year
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Midfield still struggled to get their hands on the ball this week. Ross aside we have no-one who is consistently winning the ball like a true mid. Including Ross we had nil run through transition yesterday. Roberton and Savage appear to be the guys that we are giving the ball to to carry it down the ground. Neither are elite decision makers and neither possess tremendous skill. Joey is also playing that role off half back and did well yesterday. We simply have to find mids who can break lines or use the ball at an elite level to assist in breaking the lines.

Further to this, I note that supporters had STEELE in our best players. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but for mine Steele looks too slow. He's constantly looking to handpass. I reckon he's trying to take responsibility off himself. Much easier to handpass it and let someone else stuff it up. He doesn't have great penetration with his kicking either. He is very strong and a great tackler and will have a crack for us. Unfortunately he is typical of where we are at at the moment. Tries very hard but has average skill and average speed.