Aftermath

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GSG
Club Player

Re: Aftermath

iwantmeseats wrote:Insipid last quarter. No excuse for sub standard disposal. School boy stuff.
Good heavens - we have a new Plugger! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ther are two options:

1) we are unfit - our fault.

or

2) we expended too much energy early and wasted it all with poor kicking - again our fault.

When is the coach going to stop crapping on about 'effort' and realise that effort is wasted if you cant kick.

I am sick of giving pats on the back for 'honourable losses' and then having a blow out where we get thrashed every 4th week.
Same pattern as last year is looming.
We are going to miss the 8 and are headed for 9th or 10th again.
No mans land.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Ther are two options:

1) we are unfit - our fault.

or

2) we expended too much energy early and wasted it all with poor kicking - again our fault.

When is the coach going to stop crapping on about 'effort' and realise that effort is wasted if you cant kick.

I am sick of giving pats on the back for 'honourable losses' and then having a blow out where we get thrashed every 4th week.
Same pattern as last year is looming.
We are going to miss the 8 and are headed for 9th or 10th again.
No mans land.
Huge, huge game next week. This is penciled in as a must win. OUr efforts this week mean nothing if we are down next week. Consistency is the trademark of good teams. We have a big gap between our best and worst and that usually means individuals are not being proactive enough and jut going with the flow. The coach revs them up through the week - big effort. Things go against in a game and no-one stands up with initiative to make big plays to change momentum. Or more worryingly they are simply unable to make big plays because they don't have the individual skill and x-factor.

If we lose next week maybe, just maybe Richo loses a bit of faith in the likes of Weller, Savage, Webster, Gilbo etc (Gears as skipper is immune). White, Rice, Goddard, Phillips, Long, Battle, Marshall, Sinclair have great potential including good skills and creativity. It would be going backwards to go forwards but maybe that is the smart move now. Finish 5th bottom and get a good pick in a more undiluted draft.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

A win against the Lions on our own dung heap wont change anything.

The games v Geelong and Hawks will be the true testers. Must win at least one.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Con Gorozidis wrote:A win against the Lions on our own dung heap wont change anything.

Going on years of history, St K is the team that runs other teams into form.

Hawks not good at the moment, but they'll gel against us and play awesome.
Cats at Etihad will beat us, because their coach has more nous than Richo who won't pull any moves and stubbornly refuses to think he can learn anything.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If we played with great effort every week and finished 4-18

Would it fill

We did not execute due to a combination of fatigue, lack of confidence and poor skill level

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Moses said last week we can be losers or learners.
Only one omission (non-injury) which stunned me, so yesterday showed they LEARNED.

I can't assess if the learning is short term.
Need to see next 3 games because just like a recovering druggie, old habits could come back.
A druggie gets a wake-up call, is clean for a bit, then back to normal.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Saint wagga
Club Player

I reckon last night was again evidence that we have missed our taper to be cheery ripe for rd 1 and we will not run out games optimally for another week or two! Training blocs are periodised in roughly month long and if we miscalculated by a couple of weeks this makes sense. Last night was. Wetter than rd 1, but we clearly hit the wall as a team, not just a few important indivuals, the whole team ran out of gas with about 10-15 mins to go, compared to end of 2nd qtr last week...this pattern will rectify in the next few weeks but the most important thing is...we must be 2-2 after 4 rds, which is very much possible with wins over lions and pies at Etihad absolutely crucial and this should coincide with us hitting peak fitnessvs freshness combo from then on for important clashes...imo we must stay close to that even wins-losses ledger for the first 6 or so weeks!! Vital for top 8 chances

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I'm f****** filthy we lost.

Bad kicking is bad football. Could have had that game on ice early in the third.

Good effort. Just did not get the reward.

Umpiring is a joke over there. Not a level playing field.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:I reckon last night was again evidence that we have missed our taper to be cheery ripe for rd 1 and we will not run out games optimally for another week or two! Training blocs are periodised in roughly month long and if we miscalculated by a couple of weeks this makes sense. Last night was. Wetter than rd 1, but we clearly hit the wall as a team, not just a few important indivuals, the whole team ran out of gas with about 10-15 mins to go, compared to end of 2nd qtr last week...this pattern will rectify in the next few weeks but the most important thing is...we must be 2-2 after 4 rds, which is very much possible with wins over lions and pies at Etihad absolutely crucial and this should coincide with us hitting peak fitnessvs freshness combo from then on for important clashes...imo we must stay close to that even wins-losses ledger for the first 6 or so weeks!! Vital for top 8 chances
I went to Friday training, that was only a light run, shots on goal, some tap work, that's it.
Joey kicked on his own for 20 mins

Saint wagga
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:I reckon last night was again evidence that we have missed our taper to be cheery ripe for rd 1 and we will not run out games optimally for another week or two! Training blocs are periodised in roughly month long and if we miscalculated by a couple of weeks this makes sense. Last night was. Wetter than rd 1, but we clearly hit the wall as a team, not just a few important indivuals, the whole team ran out of gas with about 10-15 mins to go, compared to end of 2nd qtr last week...this pattern will rectify in the next few weeks but the most important thing is...we must be 2-2 after 4 rds, which is very much possible with wins over lions and pies at Etihad absolutely crucial and this should coincide with us hitting peak fitnessvs freshness combo from then on for important clashes...imo we must stay close to that even wins-losses ledger for the first 6 or so weeks!! Vital for top 8 chances
I went to Friday training, that was only a light run, shots on goal, some tap work, that's it.
Joey kicked on his own for 20 mins
I'm sure they've lightened right up since seeing how badly they ran out rd 1 but it's not the sort of thing you can reverse with 1 x light session...a heavy training bloc can take weeks of concerted lightening off to even out...

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

GSG wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:Insipid last quarter. No excuse for sub standard disposal. School boy stuff.
Good heavens - we have a new Plugger! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Goes to show how much you know about p66 as he would be diametrically opposed to "hewantshismeats" views

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
barneyboyz
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:It is going to be a new look St. Kilda outfit which takes on Brisbane next Sunday.
Riewoldt - knee
Dempster - concussion
Armitage - groin
Steven - punctured lung
Stevens - gastro (lost 7 kilos apparently)

Reckon we could use Longer in the ruck this week to compliment Hickey - and let Hickey rest up forward as another tall forward marking option. Playing Bruce in the ruck is not the answer.
Bring Long in to replace Steven in the midfield.

Long and Longer!
I like this, the boys are building. Ben will come in at some stage and stay for the whole season, he will be a ripper

I was really happy for Lonie too, he is much more important than some have suggested

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Junior
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:A win against the Lions on our own dung heap wont change anything.

Cats at Etihad will beat us, because their coach has more nous than Richo who won't pull any moves and stubbornly refuses to think he can learn anything.
Take it you did not see St Kilda Geelong last year. I have seen nothing that suggests to me that Chris Scott will out coach Richo.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:

Take it you did not see St Kilda Geelong last year. I have seen nothing that suggests to me that Chris Scott will out coach Richo.
If you consider 'let Dangerfield and Selwood win it for us' a tactic, then yes, Scott might have one over us.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Stevens - gastro (lost 7 kilos apparently)
Lost 7k hey!
Mmmmmm Does anyone know where I can get some bad clam ?

In red white and black from 73
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Me too! Jenny Craig and a tummy staple have nothing on that weight loss program!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Criikey after reading some of the comments on this thread I wonder why half of you even bother

The hardest road trip on the fixture and most of you thought we would get absolutely whacked by 10 goals yet against all odds we nearly snatched the game

It was a huge improvement from the week before and it's something to take heart from and build upon with a still relatively young developing side - sky's the limit as far as I am concerned with money to spend and some great draft picks to use

Play like that for the rest of the year and we make finals

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Agree devil head. We saw how average Melbourne is when they couldn't shake Carlscum off for 3 and a half quarters. Round one was an anomaly. Round two was a heroic near miss without our second best player. We're OK. We are good enough to make the eight and we will.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Gawn and Hogan did bugger all yesty against s***!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Pretty simple..we have lost the first two games of the season and don't look like we have progressed one bit since last year in any area. A better effort was expected against WCE, and that happened, but we still lost.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

So, is the training loads the reason why we absolutely ran Port of their feet in the first practice match before only winning by a point? It makes sense because we jumped out of the gates against West Coast and Melbourne too, before tiring in the second half. Can somebody explain how all of this works? I can't see the point of absolutely running the players into the ground if it means that it actually disadvantages them for a month of games - which could be a block of 5 matches we potentially lose.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:

Junior is right Wellard is wrong

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:Criikey after reading some of the comments on this thread I wonder why half of you even bother

The hardest road trip on the fixture and most of you thought we would get absolutely whacked by 10 goals yet against all odds we nearly snatched the game

It was a huge improvement from the week before and it's something to take heart from and build upon with a still relatively young developing side - sky's the limit as far as I am concerned with money to spend and some great draft picks to use

Play like that for the rest of the year and we make finals
If Roo played in Sat we would have won.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Tony74 - is there a club policy about injured players left behind after games being supported by Stkilda staff?
I watched Steven get off the plane looking a little bedraggled and still with drainage catheter in his chest
yes I know they are big boys and yes the hospital wouldnt have released him until ready (or self discharged)
But still is there a policy?

Seeya