StKFC deny report stating Fyfe to play in 2018 with Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: StKFC deny report stating Fyfe to play in 2018 with Sain

samoht wrote:
spert wrote: Armo won't get back to any past form as every year goes on, so all I can see is that he will be serviceable player from now on depending on how his body holds up, and not in the same league as Fyfe anyway.
Do we know this for sure - that he won't get his body right?
I think half way through season 2015 he wasn't far off Fyfe's lofty level.
Fyfe will not provide the outside run and spread that we need in the midfield -to get the balance right.
That's where our focus should be.
Steele could develop into a Fyfe anyway - who knows?- and he's only 21 - and finally getting games and continuity.
Stevens is a good player - he just needed some continuity too.

If we want bang for our bucks - it'd be better spent on recruiting outside-midfield talent. That would be the wise thing to do.
(We probably have Fyfe covered - I'd be happier with the 2 Hills or their equivalent).
Lachie Weller for our 1st round draft pick?? (not Hawthorns)

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Fyfe's is a gun and one of the League's best players, but no one, I repeat no one, is worth $1.5 million per year. You could pay two really good players that amount of money between them.

Then there's the matter of keeping our list together when the market value of some of our players increases and it will increase.

The Bulldogs are going to have real problems because of the Boyd contract, already it looks like they're going to struggle to keep Johanissen. At least they've fluked a Premiership.

Geelong and Sydney are probably going to have big problems, Geelong have already lost Vardy, Caddy and Kersten.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Fyfe's is a gun and one of the League's best players, but no one, I repeat no one, is worth $1.5 million per year. You could pay two really good players that amount of money between them.

Then there's the matter of keeping our list together when the market value of some of our players increases and it will increase.

The Bulldogs are going to have real problems because of the Boyd contract, already it looks like they're going to struggle to keep Johanissen. At least they've fluked a Premiership.

Geelong and Sydney are probably going to have big problems, Geelong have already lost Vardy, Caddy and Kersten.
There'll be a dozen or more guys on that type of money in 5 years time.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Geelong and Sydney are probably going to have big problems, Geelong have already lost Vardy, Caddy and Kersten.
Vardy & Kersten - LOL

They've added Dangerfield, Z Smith, Selwood 2, Henderson, Tuohy & Stanley…

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: I think half way through season 2015 he wasn't far off Fyfe's lofty level.
Fyfe will not provide the outside run and spread that we need in the midfield -to get the balance right.
That's where our focus should be.
Steele could develop into a Fyfe anyway - who knows?-
I agree with your statement re outside run, but samoht, you need to watch some footage of Fyfe playing football.
I think Armo has been a very good AFL player, but he is not in the same stratosphere as Fyfe.
I think Steele will be a good AFL player, but one look shows he neither has the athletic ability, skill overhead or capacity of Fyfe.

You are either underating Fyfe, or seriously overating Armo & Steele.

Fyfe 2015 model was as complete an AFL player as I have seen play the game.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

It's probably too early to make a definite call on it - joffaburns -but I think we have enough good inside players such that given rotations and weight of numbers will bring the relentless energy and sustained output to overcome or at least end up equalling whatever inside strength any other team will put up against it.
With all fit and firing (including Armo), our inside midfield could run the likes of Fyfe ragged, I reckon. Skill sets disappear when you're depleted.

We just need outside midfileders to complement that.

We need a Dangerfield, if we're hell-bent on breaking the bank. Not many out there, I know - that or say two Hills or their equivalent (why are we so Freo-centric?).
Last edited by samoht on Tue 02 May 2017 5:39pm, edited 2 times in total.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Johnny Member wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:Fyfe's is a gun and one of the League's best players, but no one, I repeat no one, is worth $1.5 million per year. You could pay two really good players that amount of money between them.

Probably, but that's in 5 years.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:It's probably too early to make a definite call on it - joffaburns -but I think we have enough good inside players such that given rotations and weight of numbers will bring the relentless energy and sustained output to overcome or at least end up equalling whatever inside strength any other team will put up against it.

We need a Dangerfield, if we're hell-bent on breaking the bank. Not many out there, I know - that or say two Hills or their equivalent (why are we so Freo-centric?).
Why do you consider Dangerfield an outside mid?

From what I have seen he wins the clearance on the inside and then bursts away which makes him very damaging. He can play inside or oustide.

We have a number of midfielders, but lack true guns.

If you took Danger and Selwood out of the Cats you would be left with a pretty ordinary team. Take even the one out, and you still have a very beatable team.

The Hawks got rid of Mitchell and Lewis (two kicksers) for Tom and JOM and have gone from a team just hanging on to a finals berth to bottom 4 material.

if the Saints could secure one, or even two midfield guns, it would make an appreciable difference to our fortunes.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 02 May 2017 5:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
samoht
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Why do you consider Dangerfield an outside mid?

From what I have seen he wins the clearance on the inside and then bursts away which makes him very damaging. He can play inside or oustide.
He's both outside and inside - he's the complete package - whereas Fyfe is inside.
We need metreage and spread in the midfield to complement our inside strength. Dangerfield would provide this - not so Fyfe.

An inside gun - even Fyfe - could be run ragged (playing against us) by our weight of inside numbers - and constant rotation, which would keep their energy levels high.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 02 May 2017 6:39pm, edited 2 times in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:

He's both outside and inside - he's the complete package - whereas Fyfe is inside.
We need metreage and spread in the midfield to complement our inside strength. Dangerfield would provide this - not so Fyfe.
We need true class.

Yes Danger would be great, but pop say Selwood into our midfield mix and you would see a huge difference.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
samoht wrote:

We need true class.

Yes Danger would be great, but pop say Selwood into our midfield mix and you would see a huge difference.
Had we played a fit Stevens instead of an unfit Armo, and Sinclair instead of Dunstan against the Cats, I think Sellwood's numbers would have looked different. Steven also ran out of puff - coming back from injury.
And if we could add a fit Armo to our inside brigade - our inside midfielders would hold sway, I reckon, next time around. Sellwood only had 6 kicks and 11 handballs vs the Pies - Armo was doing these numbers playing unfit.
We would have won the inside contests with all our inside midfielders fit and firing, I'm confident of that.
Our weakness is the outside.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote:
The problem is Fyfe is no where near his 2015 form and there is no guarantee that he can ever get back to that.

Actually on current form he'd be behind players such as Selwood, Dangerfield, Martin, Kelly, Ablett, Sloane, Bontempelli, Treloar and Adams, so $1.5 million is way overs.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saintbob wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:
The problem is Fyfe is no where near his 2015 form and there is no guarantee that he can ever get back to that.

Actually on current form he'd be behind players such as Selwood, Dangerfield, Martin, Kelly, Ablett, Sloane, Bontempelli, Treloar and Adams, so $1.5 million is way overs.
+1

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:

Have to agree. Big money is the new black. Especially with extra tv dollars. You speak the truth, JM.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
ace
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:It's probably too early to make a definite call on it - joffaburns -but I think we have enough good inside players such that given rotations and weight of numbers will bring the relentless energy and sustained output to overcome or at least end up equalling whatever inside strength any other team will put up against it.
With all fit and firing (including Armo), our inside midfield could run the likes of Fyfe ragged, I reckon. Skill sets disappear when you're depleted.

Because Fyfe will be restricted free agent.
If Freo can't or won't match our offer we take Fyfe without giving up any draft picks.
Freo will get another first round draft pick immediately after their first.
Our offer to Fyfe guarantees that.
At present that will be pick 9.
We presently have pick 2 and 10.

If Freo match our offer they not only have to pay Fyfe that money, they will miss out on the compensation pick presently pick 9.
Then we can trade picks for Fyfe or walk away leaving Freo fuming.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SAAD
Club Player

He's coming...
We'll push for flag next year in riewoldt and Montagnas last hurrah

To the top
SS Life Member

The only thing we do know is that Fyfe, at this stage, remains out of Contract as season's end.

Whilst that situation remains there will be speculation.

Mind you, there will be some who know far more than we are ever likely to know - at least until Fyfe actually signs a new Contract.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

SAAD wrote:He's coming...
We'll push for flag next year in riewoldt and Montagnas last hurrah
If we can get Armo fully fit and firing - we will be pushing for the flag this year.

spert
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:

Fyfe was playing in a better Freo team in 2015, and will take most of this season to get full confidence with his body back, but he will. I think he would look pretty darn good with the improving Saints come 2018

ace
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The only thing we do know is that Fyfe, at this stage, remains out of Contract as season's end.

Whilst that situation remains there will be speculation.

Mind you, there will be some who know far more than we are ever likely to know - at least until Fyfe actually signs a new Contract.
At present the only club that Fyfe can sign a contract with is Freo.
He can do that any time.
He can only sign a contract with St Kilda when the AFLs free agent window opens in October, when St Kilda puts a contract on the table and after Freo decides not to match our offer.
If Freo decides to match our offer he remains a Freo player.
Freo has to pay that offer and miss out on a compensation draft pick, presently pick 9.
We can then trade players and picks for Fyfe and pay him as per the Freo contract.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
To the top
SS Life Member

Correct.

Fyfe can terminate the speculation, which has increased significantly this week (deliberately and by who?), by signing a Contract with Fremantle.

Past that the logistics to ensure he departs Fremantle in October will be exercising some, on the basis of what they know or on the basis of hope.

Fremantle are obviously giving Fyfe space, with implied pressure only via the comments of Lyon including references to family, the Club and captaincy.

Which is all they can do, because the choice is with Fyfe.

Fyfe could acknowledge everything his current Coach says, tell Fremantle to match the market and sign.

At this stage, to me at least, the fact that he continues to be afforded "space" by Fremantle, with Lyon saying what he said does not bode well for him remaining at Fremantle.

Then it is the case of a preferred Club and a preferred Club which has the currency to get the deal done if it comes to that.

The currency to get the deal done is where some, you would presume, will fall short.

St Kilda would appear to have currency as the second option.

That, to me, is very significant because you really do not want to "do a Gibbs".

You want to know that your preferred Club has the "tools" to get the deal done.

The impediment to that will be Fremantle putting in an ambit claim, say wanting our First Draft Pick and (say) Acres who is one of our future icon players.

St Kilda then refuse on Acres, offering another (lesser potential) player or a combination of players (also of lesser potential) or 2 First Round Draft picks.

In terms of those lesser potential players, you would look at those where you envisage the likes of White et al will assume the role of the to be offered player(s).

So Fyfe assesses that St Kilda not only have the currency but the capacity for that currency not to impede on the future performances of the Club - because he also comes for Club success.

And that is where Fremantle's history in the competition may tell against them.

But, all speculation.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

That old mentality that one single thing will be the magic cure to all your ills.................. Lockett didn't get a premiership for Sydney, and neither did Franklin. Judd didn't get one for Carlton. Dangerfield won't get one for Geelong. Kelvin Templeton and Peter Moore didn't get one for Melbourne. We need to stop thinking that one special player will take us to the pinnacle. And putting a strain on your salary cap has never been the answer.

Fools gold.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

If Freo match our offer they not only have to pay Fyfe that money, they will miss out on the compensation pick presently pick 9.Then we can trade picks for Fyfe or walk away leaving Freo fuming.

the nuance of beautiful things 'n dhamakarma
... i'd enjoy that play

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Grrrrr
Club Player

Don't know if this has already been mentioned, supposedly the DJ picked up this information from a drunk Michael Gudinski. Was he in Perth recently?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Grrrrr wrote:Don't know if this has already been mentioned, supposedly the DJ picked up this information from a drunk Michael Gudinski. Was he in Perth recently?
In his line of business, probably quite likely.

At the Don Henley (Eagles) concert I went to recently in Melbourne he introduced Don (not that he needed it). So he may well have gone over for one of his various performers that he has touring Australia.

Or as rish as he is, he may have just popped over on a whim.