From Adversity

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

From Adversity

Comes opportunity.
Pick 7 and 8 are getting a good run and don't look out of place.
Bailey looked like he enjoyed AFL level.
Phillips has had a good start.
Marshall shows a bit and would be a real bonus if he comes along.
Dunstan is looking like he's back on track.
And on a personal note one of my big disappointments is Benny Long going out long term as I was really enjoying watching him develop, Benny will be a jet.
Special mention to Paddy, I was also enjoying watching him develop.
And a big thankyou to Richo for experimenting, Gresh hopefully plays more in the midfield. Newnes probably wont ever be a permanent forward but at least Richo was learning things.
I'm looking forward to the Tiges game. I recon we'll be competitive.

Tommyj
Club Player

Re: From Adversity

Have a team meeting get them to watch the drugies game

beebarry
Club Player

good on your Cairnsman,

As supporters all we can really do is support, and whilst I am as devastated as anyone at our last 12 months of performances on and off the field, I still think there is hope and you have identified this nicely.

I think we do need a bit if a list purge at seasons end - I dont really know the contract situations of players, but you would hope that Armo,Brown, Gilbo, Lonie, Wright and Minch are let go ....All have tried their best with varying degrees of success but either over the hill or never quite up to it.

We dont have the picks in the draft to go super hard, but seems to me that other clubs are very successfully raiding the VFL, SANFL, WAFL etc, and bringing in hardened experienced 22+ year olds with instant impact. Tim Kelly at Pick 24, Liam Ryan at pick 26 , Bailey Fritsch at pick 31 all AFL standard players. OK so we dont have 2nd round picks - bring some in by trading anyone on the above list with currency or trade away the number 1/2/3/4 pick we get for 2 later ones. Just get it RIGHT !!!

Marcus Adams, Nathan Broad, McDonald-Tip, Zac Langdon, David Mirra, ....where are the Saints in this space ?

Need to get creative, take some chances and really let them roll - Austin and Clavarino - where are they ? With Brown now out and Goddard god knows where, one of them will surely get a call up no matter their form ? I know thats counter intuitive but seriously this season is shot so lets find out how deep the rot really is ....

Bowed but not Broken Saints !

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

A good, positive OP. Good on you Cairnsman! It’s so easy to become (as I have of late) downhearted at our season thus far; your post was just the tonic I need! Thank you sir! (& GO Sainters!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Nice glass half full with out being delusional Cairnsman,

fair to say this season is dead and we may as well try things. Look at who is not performing in there current position and try them somewhere else, it can not hurt. Billings isn't working up forward this year so why not drop him to HBF? Gresham has not been great this year up front move him to the middle and keep him there, Newnes stays forward. Pump games into Battle (if his body is ready)
End of year wont be a big cull because we only have 2 draft picks so we need to keep a full squad even if some are making up numbers. Gilbo and Armo should go as there time is up, possibly another fringe player like Lonie as well.
Plus I am pumped to have a top 5 pick again. I really am. I cant wait until next year when Steven has support in the midfield with another OUTSIDE mid (any other pick will SH#t me to tears)
I do not like Richo as a coach and he has not delivered. Too many excuses and not enough results plus few are developing. Fingers crossed he walks at year end but I doubt it.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

beebarry wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 12:51pm Marcus Adams, Nathan Broad, McDonald-Tip, Zac Langdon, David Mirra, ....where are the Saints in this space ?
Been thinking this for a number of seasons...seems we're nowhere in this space. I've held off being critical about our recruiting, because there's an element of luck involved on top of good judgement, but one thing our recruiting department has been for some time is one dimensional...either load up on the draft, or buy superstars, I've heard and seen nothing creative from them in years.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 2:32pm
beebarry wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 12:51pm Marcus Adams, Nathan Broad, McDonald-Tip, Zac Langdon, David Mirra, ....where are the Saints in this space ?
Been thinking this for a number of seasons...seems we're nowhere in this space. I've held off being critical about our recruiting, because there's an element of luck involved on top of good judgement, but one thing our recruiting department has been for some time is one dimensional...either load up on the draft, or buy superstars, I've heard and seen nothing creative from them in years.
Our recruiters did try in this space. Tom Lee and Beau Maister and maybe even Terry Millera fell into that category

Our recruiting decisions combined with our footy development has been poor.

Richo to me has been wishy washy with where he stands regarding either a focus on organic growth and development or a focus on topping up and aiming for finals. I still don't know what he values more or what his philosophy is. At least with Lyon and Watters you knew where their priorities were.

Along with Richo, I reckon Simon McPhee and a few other assistants need to brush up their resumes. The only period in the last 5 years that we had a focus on footy development was when Watters was head coach. Unfortunately the club powerbrokers and heirarchy steered a different path for the team since Richo was appointed. Tony Micale ( who was an assistant coach for 6 years during West Coast's grand final period in 2005-2006) and some of the other footy development staff that deserted the club when Watters was sacked would have been handy over the last 4 years.
Last edited by Scollop on Tue 22 May 2018 5:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 1:31pm A good, positive OP. Good on you Cairnsman! It’s so easy to become (as I have of late) downhearted at our season thus far; your post was just the tonic I need! Thank you sir! (& GO Sainters!)
Actually Dave I knew things were dire when I started reading posts from you that did not have thier usual positive outlook. :D

I knew I had to try something. :lol:

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I'd also like to suggest that Roberton is a huge loss. Gee I hope he is ok. That and the development of our forward line 3 x talls. They've all been injured and unable to get on the field at the same time for any length. Had they been able to, we may still be languishing at the bottom of the ladder however, Richo, and us supporters would at least have a sample size to work with. So I feel for Richo in that regard. Hopefully we get the 3 tall forwards all playing together sooner rather than later.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 4:35pmOur recruiters did try in this space. Tom Lee and Beau Maister and maybe even Terry Millera fell into that category.
I'd agree with you on Milera, Lee and Maister were effectively lower rung recycled players who'd already been in the system. But these were also 2012-2013, so it was a while ago.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 5:15pm I'd also like to suggest that Roberton is a huge loss. Gee I hope he is ok. That and the development of our forward line 3 x talls. They've all been injured and unable to get on the field at the same time for any length. Had they been able to, we may still be languishing at the bottom of the ladder however, Richo, and us supporters would at least have a sample size to work with. So I feel for Richo in that regard. Hopefully we get the 3 tall forwards all playing together sooner rather than later.
We do miss Roberton in top form, but up until his heart scare, he wasn't really setting the world on fire this season. The problem is mainly TEAM not individuals..how the team is playing, the type of football, the attitude, the will to win the contest etc. This is where we are falling down.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

beebarry wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 12:51pm good on your Cairnsman,

As supporters all we can really do is support, and whilst I am as devastated as anyone at our last 12 months of performances on and off the field, I still think there is hope and you have identified this nicely.

I think we do need a bit if a list purge at seasons end - I dont really know the contract situations of players, but you would hope that Armo,Brown, Gilbo, Lonie, Wright and Minch are let go ....All have tried their best with varying degrees of success but either over the hill or never quite up to it.

We dont have the picks in the draft to go super hard, but seems to me that other clubs are very successfully raiding the VFL, SANFL, WAFL etc, and bringing in hardened experienced 22+ year olds with instant impact. Tim Kelly at Pick 24, Liam Ryan at pick 26 , Bailey Fritsch at pick 31 all AFL standard players. OK so we dont have 2nd round picks - bring some in by trading anyone on the above list with currency or trade away the number 1/2/3/4 pick we get for 2 later ones. Just get it RIGHT !!!

Marcus Adams, Nathan Broad, McDonald-Tip, Zac Langdon, David Mirra, ....where are the Saints in this space ?

Need to get creative, take some chances and really let them roll - Austin and Clavarino - where are they ? With Brown now out and Goddard god knows where, one of them will surely get a call up no matter their form ? I know thats counter intuitive but seriously this season is shot so lets find out how deep the rot really is ....

Bowed but not Broken Saints !
I would go for Sandy's Lamb for a mature aged recruit, but we may not be first in line.

Goddard played forward for Sandy last weekend and did alright.

You are harsh on Minch. Let the kid at least have a go.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'd also like to Minch get at least 5+ continuous games before we make a final call on him. They've never given him a fair crack

chico2001
Club Player

Hartung is another mature player who may have been handy with his speed, he was a hawthorn giveaway but Recruiting didnt even look at him to my knowledge. How many quick players have we got at the Saints now? If you say more that two then you know jackshit although some of them chase pretty fast without actually catching anybody ala the captain. Just not convinced that Gresham will make it in the midfield either, he has a bagfull of tricks that dont work 90% of the time, he has to kick 25-30 goals a year to justify his spot IMO. From my memory we swapped a number 12 pick for Tom Lee. This is the time to give Minchington 5 + games before the end of this year. Lonie and Dunstan are damn good VFL players.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

[quote=chico2001 post_id=1729560 time=1526988151 user_id=23342]
Hartung is another mature player who may have been handy with his speed, he was a hawthorn giveaway but Recruiting didnt even look at him to my knowledge. /quote]

Yes, not popular on here either...was suggested, but disposal and FIGJAM attitude were a concern amongst forumites. He's going great at the Roos, but would you back him produce the same results with our club? probably not. In any case, I think he could have slotted in nicely...and any crappy disposal would have been practically un-noticed! :lol:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 5:03pm
thejiggingsaint wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 1:31pm A good, positive OP. Good on you Cairnsman! It’s so easy to become (as I have of late) downhearted at our season thus far; your post was just the tonic I need! Thank you sir! (& GO Sainters!)
Actually Dave I knew things were dire when I started reading posts from you that did not have thier usual positive outlook. :D

I knew I had to try something. :lol:
And you succeeded my friend! I can see just a HINT of blue sky peeping through those clouds! Cheers mate!

takeaway
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 10:22pm Hartung is another mature player who may have been handy with his speed, he was a hawthorn giveaway but Recruiting didnt even look at him to my knowledge. How many quick players have we got at the Saints now? If you say more that two then you know jackshit although some of them chase pretty fast without actually catching anybody ala the captain. Just not convinced that Gresham will make it in the midfield either, he has a bagfull of tricks that dont work 90% of the time, he has to kick 25-30 goals a year to justify his spot IMO. From my memory we swapped a number 12 pick for Tom Lee. This is the time to give Minchington 5 + games before the end of this year. Lonie and Dunstan are damn good VFL players.
Nah, Minchington and Lonie need to go. Dunstan on the other hand would be well up in our B & F

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 12:07pm
chico2001 wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 10:22pm Hartung is another mature player who may have been handy with his speed, he was a hawthorn giveaway but Recruiting didnt even look at him to my knowledge. How many quick players have we got at the Saints now? If you say more that two then you know jackshit although some of them chase pretty fast without actually catching anybody ala the captain. Just not convinced that Gresham will make it in the midfield either, he has a bagfull of tricks that dont work 90% of the time, he has to kick 25-30 goals a year to justify his spot IMO. From my memory we swapped a number 12 pick for Tom Lee. This is the time to give Minchington 5 + games before the end of this year. Lonie and Dunstan are damn good VFL players.
Nah, Minchington and Lonie need to go. Dunstan on the other hand would be well up in our B & F
Lonie (IMHO) was much improved against Colondud. Perhaps worth persevering with?

Tommyj
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Tue 22 May 2018 10:22pm Hartung is another mature player who may have been handy with his speed, he was a hawthorn giveaway but Recruiting didnt even look at him to my knowledge. How many quick players have we got at the Saints now? If you say more that two then you know jackshit although some of them chase pretty fast without actually catching anybody ala the captain. Just not convinced that Gresham will make it in the midfield either, he has a bagfull of tricks that dont work 90% of the time, he has to kick 25-30 goals a year to justify his spot IMO. From my memory we swapped a number 12 pick for Tom Lee. This is the time to give Minchington 5 + games before the end of this year. Lonie and Dunstan are damn good VFL players
con would win our B&F this year for christ sake :shock:

takeaway
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 12:24pm
Lonie (IMHO) was much improved against Colondud. Perhaps worth persevering with?
Yes, he did improve especially early, and tried hard all day, but minimal effect after early burst. Can't fault his effort but wish he could gain a bit more strength. Could give him a few more games, depends on our trading, etc. IMO he has the most potential of all those on the "edge".

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 12:44pm
thejiggingsaint wrote: Wed 23 May 2018 12:24pm
Yes, he did improve especially early, and tried hard all day, but minimal effect after early burst. Can't fault his effort but wish he could gain a bit more strength. Could give him a few more games, depends on our trading, etc. IMO he has the most potential of all those on the "edge".
Hard to disagree with you Colleague!