Injuries, on the block and on the cusp

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Injuries, on the block and on the cusp

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 5b13cb792f

S T KILDA

INJURIES:

Luke Dunstan (shoulder) TBC

Brandon White (corked thigh) TBC

Nathan Freeman (shoulder) 3-4 weeks

Nathan Brown (knee) 4 weeks

Blake Acres (Groin) 4-6 weeks

Josh Bruce (Back) 2-3 weeks

Sam Gilbert (Thumb) 5-6 weeks

Ben Long (Foot) 9-12 weeks

Dylan Roberton (Heart) Season

Koby Stevens (Concussion) Season

ON THE BLOCK: Brandon White will have to prove his fitness this week after spending a large chunk of Saturday’s match against Richmond on the bench following a bad corky. Jake Carlisle will come under scrutiny from the AFL’s match review officer after being reported for his hit on Jack Riewoldt which left the Tigers’ forward concussed.

ON THE CUSP: Veteran David Armitage was a standout for Sandringham in the VFL on Sunday, responding from being dropped with 39 disposals and 10 tackles. Injury-cursed defender Hugh Goddard could also be in line for his first AFL game in two years after also impressing with 15 disposals and seven marks in that match.

CHRIS CAVANAGH’S FORECAST: The Saints’ execution, and goalkicking, against Richmond was better but they let one slip by being overrun in the second half by a Tigers’ side which had just two fit players on the bench. It does not get any easier this week with a trip to Perth to take on a West Coast side which has won nine on the trot. That could get very ugly if St Kilda is even a little bit off.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Injuries, on the block and on the cusp

I feel sick in the guts every time I see Acres on that injury list. Fancy having your only big bodied on baller playing in the ruck ... whilst Hickey and Marshall were in the same team. And doing it with average groins no less.

I f&*king absolutely f%^king hate your amateur hour incompetence some days St Kilda.

Go you red, black & white warriors
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

The weekly video from the club has just gone up, sounds like Brown might be available next week, and Bruce might sneak in for a game before the bye.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Keep Bruce, Weller, Brown, Armo and Gilbert away from the team… we looked 10 times better with more kids in the side.

Acres and Roberton are the only guys I am missing from the side.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Tue 29 May 2018 6:19pm Keep Bruce, Weller, Brown, Armo and Gilbert away from the team… we looked 10 times better with more kids in the side.

You will love Freeman and Paton once they get in the side.

Long was doing okay before his leg injury too.

chico2001
Club Player

Bruce is a handy player in my opinion, has kicked 50 goals in a season, dropped off a bit but can take a mark and a better kick than some of the guys playing now thats for sure. Should never pick Armitage and Gilbert again. Acres and Roberton should be welcome additions. Not sure why Freeman keeps getting mentioned every week for the past 2 years

saintbob
SS Life Member

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 29 May 2018 5:41pm I feel sick in the guts every time I see Acres on that injury list. Fancy having your only big bodied on baller playing in the ruck ... whilst Hickey and Marshall were in the same team. And doing it with average groins no less.

I f&*king absolutely f%^king hate your amateur hour incompetence some days St Kilda.
Agree totally

axcellence
Club Player

We'll if Dunstan doesn't come up... Then Armitage sideshow will restart....

chico2001
Club Player

If armitage plays against the eagles god help us, that is why the club cops so much criticism on this website and others. They only have themselves to blame. A lot of supporters are dropping off from what I am hearing. I wonder if the players read these posts or get any feedback?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Comments on Armo are a little harsh. If he gets back to his best then isn't he an automatic selection.

chico2001
Club Player

c'mon cairnsman, he is finished as a senior midfielder. He has done his job over the years with 158 games, injuries caught up with him, he has no pace and his disposal is poor. Watch him play and what I say is then justified. Why play him? Put one of the young blokes in.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote: Tue 29 May 2018 6:19pm Keep Bruce, Weller, Brown, Armo and Gilbert away from the team… we looked 10 times better with more kids in the side.

Brown would have been very handy this week though.
I think our best side has Bruce in it, but in the forward line, not in the ruck.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Thu 31 May 2018 2:34pm c'mon cairnsman, he is finished as a senior midfielder. He has done his job over the years with 158 games, injuries caught up with him, he has no pace and his disposal is poor. Watch him play and what I say is then justified. Why play him? Put one of the young blokes in.
Yep sounds fair to me. Unless Armo is playing injured again - but will he ever get his pace back?

Reminds me of a slow Jud

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stkfc1
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 6:38pm Bruce is a handy player in my opinion, has kicked 50 goals in a season, dropped off a bit but can take a mark and a better kick than some of the guys playing now thats for sure. Should never pick Armitage and Gilbert again. Acres and Roberton should be welcome additions. Not sure why Freeman keeps getting mentioned every week for the past 2 years
Agree with this. Id like to see Bruce used on a wing more, then resting forward. He has a great tank, can take a contested mark and is a nice field kick. That would give us Carlise and Bruce as options to mark out of D50. At the moment its really only Carlise or if our forwards press up and then we have no one to kick it to from there. But FFS keep him (and Acres) away from the ruck you moronic coaching staff.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

We are a much better team with an in form Bruce - easily our most active forward. what we were missing was a small consistently in his shadow to pick up the grounded ball.
on freeman - just shouldn't be in the conversation until (if) he is a consistent starter. simply no idea if he can play at top level, or if he even will. Roberton i fear will never play again - just can't risk a life, so unless medical experts can be 100% on his safety we need to show responsibility.
I also don't get the continued overrating of acres - flashes of brilliance and appears to have a higher potential level than his teammates, but over four years he has been outperformed by every other mid we have. at what stage does potential and hype give way to actual performance?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Freeman, once he recovers and is back playing, should be selected in the seniors. We are decimated with injuries as it is - and what's the use of him being continually risked in the VFL?
If you are going to risk him, play him in the AFL - where there's less risks - where you have better playing surfaces, the video review system, etc.. - where he's less likely to be taken out by some mug VFL player or overextending his joints and tendons on a poor playing surface.

The psychological boost will also help him.

Paton should have been selected ahead of Weller. Rice should have been selected last year - what's wrong with our selectors? Phillips finally got a go.
Trust the kids, our future - get games into them, you morons.