VFL Rd 8 Sandringham Vs Werribee (replay link)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: VFL Rd 8 Sandringham Vs Werribee (replay link)

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 12:41am
DWOODROW wrote: Tue 29 May 2018 10:27pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 29 May 2018 12:47am I watched the Sandy game today. Wasnt that impressed with Armo. 40 touches but a lot of turnovers and poor decisions making. Armo goes hard and gives a good effort but his decision making is rushed and his efforts are let down by his execution. Silly things like grubber handballs through a chance gap and sweeping handballs over 2 opponents to a player in a poor position when more practical options are available.

If he can string together some form over 3 or 4 weeks then he deserves to play in the 1's, just like everyone else but AR has already canned him as a midfielder.

Id rather give Connellan a go as a forward.

Seems Aaron Hamill has a different opinion on how Dave played to you. I’ll go with Aaron’s assessment I think.

Oh and it’s not Richardson that is keeping him out of the midfield
I just watched the first half of the Sandy game again.
Thought I might have been harsh.

Unfortunately not. 6 turnovers, 5 one metre handballs and only 1 kick actually went clean to a team mate. Oh and 3 bombs to a pack in the goal square. Not one clearance and he let his opponent get the ball while he waited to tackle. He played a possession game hut gained very little in terms of metres.

I have always been a fan. Have met him a few times and dont want to bag him. But his first 20 possessions were cheap and he did very little with them.

I stand by my opinion based on what I watched. If he gets a game I will be surprised.
Well then, watch the second half. That may surprise you.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 11:17am
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 29 May 2018 12:47am I watched the Sandy game today. Wasnt that impressed with Armo. 40 touches but a lot of turnovers and poor decisions making. Armo goes hard and gives a good effort but his decision making is rushed and his efforts are let down by his execution. Silly things like grubber handballs through a chance gap and sweeping handballs over 2 opponents to a player in a poor position when more practical options are available.

If he can string together some form over 3 or 4 weeks then he deserves to play in the 1's, just like everyone else but AR has already canned him as a midfielder.

Seems Aaron Hamill has a different opinion on how Dave played to you. I’ll go with Aaron’s assessment I think.

Unfortunately not. 6 turnovers, 5 one metre handballs and only 1 kick actually went clean to a team mate. Oh and 3 bombs to a pack in the goal square. Not one clearance and he let his opponent get the ball while he waited to tackle. He played a possession game hut gained very little in terms of metres.

I have always been a fan. Have met him a few times and dont want to bag him. But his first 20 possessions were cheap and he did very little with them.

I stand by my opinion based on what I watched. If he gets a game I will be surprised.
Yeah......nah.

Still not excited. 1 class disposal out of 39. The pass to battle. At least a dozen turnovers and very little metres gained. While on the ball he barely left the centre square and will need to do alot more to be valid in the 1's. He cant break away and doesn't spread. He is still a bull but his use by datr is far too close to keep any younger player out.

Id be looking at Minch and Paton before Armo from that effort. His best is just good. 3 or 4 weeks like that in a row and I'd begin to get excited.

Finally, I think the stats team where a little generous too. I only counted 13 kicks and most of his effective handballs were 1 to 2 metres long. A great start to a return to form but a bit of work to do yet.

elizabethr
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 4:14pm
saynta wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 11:17am

Yeah......nah.

Still not excited. 1 class disposal out of 39. The pass to battle. At least a dozen turnovers and very little metres gained. While on the ball he barely left the centre square and will need to do alot more to be valid in the 1's. He cant break away and doesn't spread. He is still a bull but his use by datr is far too close to keep any younger player out.

Id be looking at Minch and Paton before Armo from that effort. His best is just good. 3 or 4 weeks like that in a row and I'd begin to get excited.

Finally, I think the stats team where a little generous too. I only counted 13 kicks and most of his effective handballs were 1 to 2 metres long. A great start to a return to form but a bit of work to do yet.
What a jaundiced view of what was clearly a matchwinning performance!

nothing to say
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

If Richardson is not keeping Armitage out of the midfield, who is? That's quite an interesting situation, to say the least

DWOODROW
Club Player

[quote=cwrcyn post_id=1731646 time=1527676946 user_id=2929]
If Richardson is not keeping Armitage out of the midfield, who is? That's quite an interesting situation, to say the least
[/quote]

You think so. Not hard to figure out who. Don’t want to vent too much but funny how he’s only in this predicament because he was told to go back out on the field when he clearly had a major injury which kept him out for a year. He still has a niggle but wants to play In The middle but isn’t getting a chance. Hope he gets traded to GC or Brisbane so he’s closer to me and family. Surely he will be traded at the end of the year. Pretty much isn’t required at St Kilda.

saintbob
SS Life Member

DWOODROW wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 10:03pm
cwrcyn wrote: Wed 30 May 2018 9:42pm If Richardson is not keeping Armitage out of the midfield, who is? That's quite an interesting situation, to say the least
You think so. Not hard to figure out who. Don’t want to vent too much but funny how he’s only in this predicament because he was told to go back out on the field when he clearly had a major injury which kept him out for a year. He still has a niggle but wants to play In The middle but isn’t getting a chance. Hope he gets traded to GC or Brisbane so he’s closer to me and family. Surely he will be traded at the end of the year. Pretty much isn’t required at St Kilda.
Neither of those teams would want him, sorry to say it but he’s cooked

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like poor management. A bit like when Koschitzke had a back injury very early in his career, and was put out on the field week after week when it was clearly against his best interests. This kind of thing is a pet hate of mine. Feel sorry for Armitage. A fine player whose great form has been ruined by injury.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 31 May 2018 6:27am Sounds like poor management. A bit like when Koschitzke had a back injury very early in his career, and was put out on the field week after week when it was clearly against his best interests. This kind of thing is a pet hate of mine. Feel sorry for Armitage. A fine player whose great form has been ruined by injury.

Agreed. It absolutely kills me when we have players at Sandy desperate for games and persevere with injured players for quite gain... we get substandard performances from players that then don’t get over their niggles and it ends up being their undoing.
That’s why the Weller situation last year caused me to blow a fuse and the fact that they played an injured Longer in rd2 too.

It’s this horribly ugly aspect of Richo’s approach that I can’t stand

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Problem for Armo - and it’s a well-documented one - is that we have a surplus of inside grunt midfielders and not enough who can spread, carry and distribute.

He may get a look in this week with Dunstan injured I guess