What I am Proud of ......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

What I am Proud of ......

For a lot of people this will be TL:DR, but forgive me and feel free to move it to General if the need strikes....

On Monday I turn 50. I am celebrating on Sunday with my wife, son and some of his mates. It has made me a little nostalgic and caused me to reflect a little.

In short, I am proud of 2 things:
- My wife and Son; and
- Being a Saints supporter.

These are the two things, and only two things that I can truly say I am proud of . . . . which is symbolic of todays throw away society. I look backwards and I cannot help but think we are actually worse off today than we were 20, 30, 40 years ago. Let me emphasise - whilst I am proud of these two things, they come in that order and by a fair margin!

I remember the passion that I used to go to the football with - I have always been a Sainter - I was born into a family from Cobram/Barooga - an old Saints recruiting zone, and taken to Moorabbin by my mothers God-mother Gloria. Gloria (as I recall) was an older lady who would pay for my reserve seats each year, I think to have someone go to the footy with her. I would go to my Ma's house on a Friday night, catch the train from Chelsea to Moorabbin, and sit in the upper stands, on the wing, and cheer each goal that was hard fought for during the 80's (my teenage years) and go home proud of the guys if they even got close to a win, and ecsatic if we actually won! I remember the days that you would be able to go down and buy a collector card, and get it autographed by the player, I still have 40 of them, mostly signed by some greats of the 80's. My son was given the chance to support any team, but also cautioned that we would only attend the games together that we both supported (lol). I used to spend $3,000.00 per year on Medallion Club tickets, as well as memberships - but modern football has dis-incentivised this!!!! The game and the arena are so sterile now - At Moorabbin we used to sit three rows behind the radio commentator for the day, I say used to because I would stand leaning against the tin sheeting wall of the stadium, and pound on it if we were playing well, and I think that they moved the commentator, because you could not hear the broadcast over the pounding some days - lol!

Then things changed . . .

I grew up - lol

I have worked all of my adult life, sometimes it has been easy, sometimes, no so much, but I have never been fortunate enough to love my job. My son has a passion, and is following that dream, and it will take him to Darwin within 10 years, he is passionate about his career - I am not. I was recently made redundant, and then re-engaged on 3 days a week - basically as a book-keeper/AR clerk - I have almost 30 years accounting experience, but I regret not doing a CPA - so now just keep books. I have had 4 jobs in almost 30 years - this is becoming a rarity. I even commit to a phone (lol) having, as a birthday present to myself, only just upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a 16gb iPhone 6.

I do not count my work colleague as friends, I used to, but now, I see them as disposable assets, to be used by the boss, and then discarded - they have become like that to me, due to rapid turnover, and a general 'just do your job and get your pay' attitude. No-one cares anymore. I see this in football - I used to sit with Dad and Barry Breen as they played cards when I was younger, years later I found out how poorly the Saints had been forced to treat their premiership player, but he still lived and breathed for St Kilda, playing on a lick and a promise. Which player now would play under the conditions of, we cant pay you now - but we will pay you a percentage of it later? No-one - and I know that it is now a profession as opposed to a passion - but it is all symbolic.

I look around me - I live in a nice house in the Cranbourne area, with two very loving and passionate people (my wife and son) and am very happy, but I do look forward to moving our menagerie to acreage at some stage. I do not count my many acquaintances as friends as I would have once - I am preferring to spend my 50th with 18/19 year old young men (my sons friends), because they have passion and drive, people my age have become jaded and are only interested in what you can do for them - we have become a very disposable society - an airtasker society. There are even tasks on that site asking for weight loss coaches - people who will encourage you to keep on your weight loss journey - this used to be done by your friends - but they dont care anymore - they have enough to worry about in their life. I have lost over 20% of my body weight since 6/2/18 but I am not interested in sharing this with people of Airtasker.

There is a coffee ad that highlights our disconnect, and implies that we can fix it through coffee, we cant! We can fix it through passion - but not without a massive push - it is the same with our precious Saints - I went to the sponsors day at TBBO with Sainter_Boy - the players engaged, if you spoke to them, but a lot were on their phones, huddled away from gen pop etc - watching the basketball. I remember nights at Aspendale Gardens, when Fraser would bring some of the guys down for dinner, they would engage - some would actively wander around the room and chat, not about their football life, but about your life, and would seem to take an interest. Where are the AFL players who hurt for their club???

After all of my ramblings, I return to my point - I am proud of being a husband and father, and of being a loyal Saints supporter. Ying and Yang - pleasure and pain. I have some fantastic memories, but those not associated with family are growing dim, and more are not replacing them, because society is becoming insular .... or maybe it is because I am getting old and falling out of love with humanity (lol)! My son has shown me a quote from Steve Irwin which says “Crocodiles are easy. They try to kill and eat you. People are harder. Sometimes they pretend to be your friend first.” Unfortunately - I am finding this to be true!

For those that got to here - thank you, and I hope that on this weekend - your lives are full of Pride!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: What I am Proud of ......

Happy birthday
You are officially a grumpy old man :lol:

Nothing better than being able to tell all and sundry to go and get for hucked. :wink:

In red white and black from 73
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Great little blurb.

I don’t want to kill you and eat you just yet, because I want to hear another ramble next decade when you crack 60.

I’m 48, so can relate a lot of what you’re saying.

Especially the work bit. I’ve been at the same company for 9 years now, and it has an impeccable public image - arguably one of the best in the country, but internally, it’s just like anywhere else as you allude to.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sat 09 Jun 2018 8:41am Great little blurb.

I don’t want to kill you and eat you just yet, because I want to hear another ramble next decade when you crack 60.

I’m 48, so can relate a lot of what you’re saying.

Especially the work bit. I’ve been at the same company for 9 years now, and it has an impeccable public image - arguably one of the best in the country, but internally, it’s just like anywhere else as you allude to.
LOL - no ramble next decade - We WILL own a reptile park in South Gippsland - We WILL have a reptile rescue centre - We WILL have a reptile education centre - all as part of my son's passion - I WILL be building a monument to Pride - in 10 years!

[We almost did it 6 months ago - but ran out of funds]

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Happy 50th Birthday mate.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Good rant. The world and people are shallow these days.

You just to have look at teenagers that take stupid and 45 degree phone angle selfies of themselves constantly, then upload them to Snapchat or Instagram or wherever it is. They need approval and validation for everything they do in life then also expect to walk into an 80k job a year after doing their VCE or run of the mill uni degree that you can get in a Coco Pops box these days.

Free to air TV (besides the sports and news) is now full of reality TV garbage showing off selfish and self obsessed ego maniacs that have a win at all cost attitude. Love Island in Spain with Sophie Monk...I mean seriously, are these people on the show actually real Australians and real people?

I could go on and on, but the world has gone mad and shallow. But one thing is still around and will usually remain the same to some degree. That is the footy and ST KFC. I will be downing a few beers at the footy tonight and enjoying the spectacle. At least its real! We will win too!

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

parkeysainter wrote: Sat 09 Jun 2018 11:03am Good rant. The world and people are shallow these days.

You just to have look at teenagers that take stupid and 45 degree phone angle selfies of themselves constantly, then upload them to Snapchat or Instagram or wherever it is. They need approval and validation for everything they do in life then also expect to walk into an 80k job a year after doing their VCE or run of the mill uni degree that you can get in a Coco Pops box these days.

Free to air TV (besides the sports and news) is now full of reality TV garbage showing off selfish and self obsessed ego maniacs that have a win at all cost attitude. Love Island in Spain with Sophie Monk...I mean seriously, are these people on the show actually real Australians and real people?

I could go on and on, but the world has gone mad and shallow. But one thing is still around and will usually remain the same to some degree. That is the footy and ST KFC. I will be downing a few beers at the footy tonight and enjoying the spectacle. At least its real! We will win too!
Loved your post, except for the conclusion. You so far haven’t covered yourself in glory when you’ve put on your Nostradamus hat this year. Hope you prove me wrong though.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
parkeysainter
SS Life Member

SydneySainter wrote: Sat 09 Jun 2018 11:55am
parkeysainter wrote: Sat 09 Jun 2018 11:03am Good rant. The world and people are shallow these days.

Loved your post, except for the conclusion. You so far haven’t covered yourself in glory when you’ve put on your Nostradamus hat this year. Hope you prove me wrong though.
I have a gut feeling for an upset. Wellar and Lonie to dominate up forward.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Sat 09 Jun 2018 12:14pm
SydneySainter wrote: Sat 09 Jun 2018 11:55am

I have a gut feeling for an upset. Wellar and Lonie to dominate up forward.
And in other news Elton John and k.d Lang to wed (each other)!

loris
Saintsational Legend

Enjoy that 50th celebration Sainter_Dad you deserve it.
Weren’t you (and me) lucky to have been supporting the Saints when the game was a sport and was tribal, not a sanitized game, played in sanitized stadiums all for what’s called entertainment?

derby Street
Club Player

Loyalty is a wonderful trait to have Sainter_Dad - I am guessing many of us older Saints have got this in bucketloads. I remember one time interviewing a bloke for a job and I asked him what his greatest weakness was - he told me it was honesty. I told him that I didn't consider this a weakness, indeed it would be considered a strength. He told me that he couldn't give F#ck what I thought.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Good rant and a very Happy 50th Birthday Sainter_Dad; may your second love have a win for you tonight, and may you and your first loves see many, many Saintly premierships in all of your lifetimes!

Always loyal
SinCitySainter
Club Player

I also turned 50 this year and have many of the same thoughts about society that you have.
When I was in my 20s my main group of friends were my work mates. We would go out after work frequently, partners included.
I know that becomes more difficult as families grow but I no longer mix with anyone from my work outside of the office.
Even at the work Christmas party most people came to make an appearance because it is expected and then buggered off as soon as they could.
My work is a job not a career nor a vocation, its purpose is to pay the mortgage, there is something deeply sad in that.
I am too old to understand the younger generations need for validation, I am simply not wired that way.
However, I have been a saint's member for 30 plus years and it gives me great pleasure even when we are not performing very well .
After all it is only a game, not life and death and there is always next year.
This statement will probably cause the standard cries of derision "I want a, no demand a premiership."
I question why? Will it really change your life? No, it will be great for a few days but life will return to normal.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Turned 50 in February.

I am a proud husband and father

I am a proud Sainter.

My daughter is a Sainter and thinks a tranny is a transgender person and not a thing called a transistor radio once used to listen to your team play at Moorabbin while lunatics bashed tin sheeting near the commentary box because we were about to pull off miracle on ice and actually win a home and away game.

I had completely forgotten about that truly great memory SD so thanks for sharing. Right there in that memory is what reminds why I'm most proud of being a Sainter. Loyalty and appreciating the journey above all else and the small wins are only the bonus, it's a way of life, I try my best to pass it on to my daughter.

Mate be sure to embrace life from this point forward. Stay fit, stay youthful in the mind, don't stop looking for adventure.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

derby Street wrote: Sat 09 Jun 2018 1:06pm Loyalty is a wonderful trait to have Sainter_Dad - I am guessing many of us older Saints have got this in bucketloads. I remember one time interviewing a bloke for a job and I asked him what his greatest weakness was - he told me it was honesty. I told him that I didn't consider this a weakness, indeed it would be considered a strength. He told me that he couldn't give F#ck what I thought.
lol - that's pretty funny.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Happy Birthday Sainter Dad!
seems your new life pattern is pretty normal for our age group. I had a big 40th, but for my 50th preferred just a special outing with my closest family. I am looking at a career change and maybe a move soon. but taking a year off first to travel with the wife and son (be our second year off seeing the world). My closest friends are still those from high school and uni - unfortunately we live far away, but whenever we visit its open house and just as always - like family. Others come and go.
I've rarely lived in cities because its a less friendly environment and less genuine - fun when young but no time to stop and smell the roses when you're stuck amongst a moving, impatient throng, whether in a car or in a crowd. everyone is a little more frantic.
For those ranting about the younger generation and the media (social and mainstream) driven shallowness and constant whinging - just don't engage. ignore it. the hypocrisy has always been there - just in our faces more nowadays as the media blathers about every trivial thing -as long as you can see it, it doesn't need to govern your life. although it can be carthartic to have a rant about it amongst like minded people :)

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Happy Birthday mate,
Have very similar reflections.
Childhoods are now lived through screens.
Just turned 49....my wife had to hold back from having a crack at 3 teenagers taking about 400 selfies at a cafe in the Dandenongs the other day.
WTF?! (as they would say)

A culture based on vanity and lazy, confused virtue signalling.
Yipee!
I

Nee!
loris
Saintsational Legend

Isn’t it wonderful to read such wise words from the sagest of posters in this thread. See what you have done Sainter_Dad, made so many reflect on what is meaniful in their lives..... well done, only one turning 50 can have such influence!!!!!!

St.Roly
Club Player

Interesting reflections.

It seems we have quite a number of posters of a similar vintage - 48 myself (and only 2 jobs...).

I truly hope my kids stick with them (the Saints that is).
Last edited by St.Roly on Sat 09 Jun 2018 4:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Sat 09 Jun 2018 3:45pm Happy Birthday mate,
Have very similar reflections.
Childhoods are now lived through screens.
Just turned 49....my wife had to hold back from having a crack at 3 teenagers taking about 400 selfies at a cafe in the Dandenongs the other day.
WTF?! (as they would say)

A culture based on vanity and lazy, confused virtue signalling.
Yipee!
I
It is not just the kids. Last year the missus and I had a holiday on Hamilton Island.

A couple, probably somewhere in their 30's, sat near us a couple of times in the hotel restaurant, both at breakfast and again at night.

They had two boys with them, probably around 11 and 7.

Both kids were engrossed with their tablets the whole meal time, with the youngest being spoon fed by his mother whilst not once taking his eyes of his tablet.

He had his feet on the chair and rested the tablet on his legs.

It was all I could do to stop myself from going over and ripping the tablet out of the kid's hands.

Not the kids fault though. Ignorant NFI parents were to blame.

I myself have taken PC games consoles off one of mt grand kids in order to get him dressed and ready for school.

The world's going to hell in a hand basket quicker than I thought possible.

f****** crowded street, congested roads filled with angry drivers.

A lot of them talking and/or texting on their smart phones at the same time

Don't get me started on f****** Lycra clad middle aged men cyclists.

Road courtesy along with common decency are things of the past.

And AFAIC all our pollies suck. None of them are worth feeding let alone getting paid with our tax dollars.

Oh, Sainter dad, I worked for the same instrumentality for 48 years but in lots of different capacities. all of which I loved.

It was a pleasure to go to work each day. Colleagues still regularly catch up with me for luncheons, although I have been retired now for three years.

I love the Saints and have for nearly 70 years. They will get out of this slump. There are good young footballers coming through now.

I hold out hopes for tonight.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

"Don't get me started on f****** Lycra clad middle aged men cyclists."
Saynta, I was born in 1961 (do the math)
and I have cycled for over 20 years, clocking up 10-12k kms a year,
giving me a grand total of...you do the math.
One of my best friends is a former Olympic-accredited track cycling coach,
and I trained under him a few years back.

I am f*ing PROUD to be a MAMIL,
and I don't care if <edited by mods> like YOU don't like it.
You think I will stop because <edited by mods> wonders like you, don't like it?
You and people like you, are jealous because you have just enough energy
to drag your <edited by mods> from the couch to the fridge.
As I type this, I have lunch in the oven, having just ridden 60.66 kms
in wonderful sunny Perth weather.

Jealousy is a curse, idiot.
"Don't hate me, cos you ain't me!"

<warning for abuse>

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 09 Jun 2018 4:43pm "Don't get me started on f****** Lycra clad middle aged men cyclists."
Saynta, I was born in 1961 (do the math)
and I have cycled for over 20 years, clocking up 10-12k kms a year,
giving me a grand total of...you do the math.
One of my best friends is a former Olympic-accredited track cycling coach,
and I trained under him a few years back.

I am f*ing PROUD to be a MAMIL,
and I don't care if morons like YOU don't like it.
You think I will stop because tiny-dicked wonders like you, don't like it?
You and people like you, are jealous because you have just enough energy
to drag your fat arse from the couch to the fridge.
As I type this, I have lunch in the oven, having just ridden 60.66 kms
in wonderful sunny Perth weather.

Jealousy is a curse, idiot.
"Don't hate me, cos you ain't me!"
Oh, and here's me thinking we were mates. :cry: :cry:

Stick by what I say though. You just confirmed my views of MAMIL.

FYI, I go to the gym every day and would bet that I am fitter at my age than you.

Your attitude actually says a lot about why I dislike cyclists who think they own the world and everyone else can get f***ed.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saynta, you hate cyclists because we "think we own the world"?
Kunts like you, used to be racist, homophobic, etc, and now that Political Correctness
has hampered you, you need to target another group that is fair game for the majority.

Kind of like hating The Filth-
you can lump the whole lot together into one job lot and say "they're all bloody turds and should be shot"
knowing in your tiny brain, that you won't be called out.
BTW,
I don't actually ride on the freaking roads.
The WA Govt has kindly allocated $123 million for upgrading the PSP (Perth Shared Path system)
and I use those lovely, well maintained bike paths all the time,
for 2 reasons- I don't have to run the gauntlet of tiny dicked guys in big-engined cars (over-compensation?)
also I can do my 60-80 km ride unhindered, and ride and ride without stopping,
keeping my heart rate in that 160-185 bpm for 3-4 hours.

See, I don't upset motorists, nobody sees me.

For every 5 cyclists you might see on the roads, there's about 20 more, unseen, on bike paths.
Like an iceberg- we only notice a little bit of the bigger picture.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 09 Jun 2018 5:00pm saynta, you hate cyclists because we "think we own the world"?
Kunts like you, used to be racist, homophobic, etc, and now that Political Correctness
has hampered you, you need to target another group that is fair game for the majority.

Kind of like hating The Filth-
you can lump the whole lot together into one job lot and say "they're all bloody turds and should be shot"
knowing in your tiny brain, that you won't be called out.
BTW,
I don't actually ride on the freaking roads.
The WA Govt has kindly allocated $123 million for upgrading the PSP (Perth Shared Path system)
and I use those lovely, well maintained bike paths all the time,
for 2 reasons- I don't have to run the gauntlet of tiny dicked guys in big-engined cars (over-compensation?)
also I can do my 60-80 km ride unhindered, and ride and ride without stopping,
keeping my heart rate in that 160-185 bpm for 3-4 hours.

See, I don't upset motorists, nobody sees me.

For every 5 cyclists you might see on the roads, there's about 20 more, unseen, on bike paths.
Like an iceberg- we only notice a little bit of the bigger picture.
I have reported your post.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Yes indeed marvellous how we are all now sagely reflecting. Not sure what the tiny dicks have got to do with it but yes, how marvellous.