Administration and Coach - Hold our nerve

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st sandy
Club Player

Administration and Coach - Hold our nerve

So i am in my fifties & a 4th generation supporter/member of the saints (my children are 5th)
I can safely say that i have seen it all when it comes to the roller coaster ride of our footy club. And what is the saying...it is never as bad as it seems & never as good as it seems

I can confidently say that the current group of administrators at our footy club are the BEST that i can remember & i go back along along way. Yes that is Summers, Finnis, Lethlean & the Coach. (I listen to and read the same media as everyone else & attend the games)
For the younger supporters on here, the history of the saints is littered with poor & weak administration & no doubt has lead to our infamous history

In my view the most diabolical outcome that could occur is to make wholesale changes to all aspects of the club being Board, CEO, Footy admin & yes the coach.

For once in our history MY WISH is that we show strength & leadership & HOLD OUR NERVE
Yes that includes supporting the Board, Coach & players during these difficult times & backing the decisions they have made
i have faith with current administration

The integrity of an organisation is reflected in decisions made during difficult times - my wish is for our administration to hold firm, continue to fight & demand improved performance

You only have to look at richmond in 2016 with 4 wins and a leadership challenge to confirm that things can turn very quickly for an organisation that stays on course & backs themselves during a period of poor on field performance

Bleeding red, black & white

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Administration and Coach - Hold our nerve

Sounded good until you ballsed it up and said “Look at Richmond”

EPIC FAIL!!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
chico2001
Club Player

sandy, we had someone called Ameet Bains...a Lawyer I believe, how slimy was he and how did he get that job and since gone. Lethlean --no one wanted him, reminds me of rattlesnake but without the fangs. The coach is a cardboard cutout and the President states that we are top 4 material. 70 staff who are non productive. Average bunch of players. No more picks in the draft only the bottom 3 pick for this years ladder position. Current administration would not be able to run a park toilet block.

Keep bleeding and you will die.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

st sandy wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 1:32pm So i am in my fifties & a 4th generation supporter/member of the saints (my children are 5th)
I can safely say that i have seen it all when it comes to the roller coaster ride of our footy club. And what is the saying...it is never as bad as it seems & never as good as it seems

I can confidently say that the current group of administrators at our footy club are the BEST that i can remember & i go back along along way. Yes that is Summers, Finnis, Lethlean & the Coach. (I listen to and read the same media as everyone else & attend the games)
For the younger supporters on here, the history of the saints is littered with poor & weak administration & no doubt has lead to our infamous history

In my view the most diabolical outcome that could occur is to make wholesale changes to all aspects of the club being Board, CEO, Footy admin & yes the coach.

For once in our history MY WISH is that we show strength & leadership & HOLD OUR NERVE
Yes that includes supporting the Board, Coach & players during these difficult times & backing the decisions they have made

The integrity of an organisation is reflected in decisions made during difficult times - my wish is for our administration to hold firm, continue to fight & demand improved performance

You only have to look at richmond in 2016 with 4 wins and a leadership challenge to confirm that things can turn very quickly for an organisation that stays on course & backs themselves during a period of poor on field performance

I actually agree with you. You might struggle to find anyone else that does, though.
The pitchforks are coming.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
spert
Saintsational Legend

st sandy wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 1:32pm So i am in my fifties & a 4th generation supporter/member of the saints (my children are 5th)

I've been holding my nerve for decades...GF loss after GF loss..she'll be right, we'll come good, give it time... totally sick of listening to it to be honest. Our current president, board and football dept have taken us absolutely nowhere while spinning bullsh*t to all who will listen.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 1:41pm sandy, we had someone called Ameet Bains...a Lawyer I believe, how slimy was he and how did he get that job and since gone. Lethlean --no one wanted him, reminds me of rattlesnake but without the fangs. The coach is a cardboard cutout and the President states that we are top 4 material. 70 staff who are non productive. Average bunch of players. No more picks in the draft only the bottom 3 pick for this years ladder position. Current administration would not be able to run a park toilet block.

Keep bleeding and you will die.
Hey mate, I enjoy your posts but calling Ameet slimy because he was a lawyer is a bit over the top.

Lethlean, also a lawyer, will turn out to be a good administrator if he stays the distance.

longtimesaint
Club Player

I have been following this club since 1958 when at age 10 we went to the Junction oval and watched both seniors and reserves.
I have seen some very poor sides and if you look at the successful sides they have stability.
What through history we have done is sack the coach, have board spills and total upheavals, and this has only added to our poor record.
We have had a poor season, but everything has gone wrong this year including long term injuries to important players in Bruce, Robbo , Acres etc. and subsequently there has been a total lack of confidence.
I think we should stay with the stability and work through the problems with drafting and development.

One year will be our year
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Just LOL.
Seriously.
Finnis and Lethlean. Lethlean !!!!!! No other club would take him. Except us.
Oh sweet Jesus.
Sweet Jesus!

The coach is a half wit.

Comparing the current crop to the Lyon or GT era is plain embarrassing.
Even under Sheldon and Alves we were better.

Finnis is an empty careerist suit placed at the club by AFL HQ. Don't be fooled by the corporate speak.

The club is in existential crisis under the current regime.

Any comparison with Richmond is ignorant in the extreme.

They made 4 of the last 6 finals.

Seriously wake up.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 10 Jun 2018 2:20pm, edited 2 times in total.

chico2001
Club Player

Mate, Enlighten us on their background in football, let us know what Bains achieved at the club. Ditto for Lethlean who probably has an open wallet from his mate McClachlan to make change. But where has he done it before? Why was he appointed? What have they done at other AFL clubs that stops you in your tracks and makes you go "hire them"?

I would'nt buy a TV off them ...thats for sure.....St KIlda always ends up with the snakeoil merchants.....club is riddled with them.

Whats the fascination with Lawyers?

cheers

saynta
Saintsational Legend

What's wrong with lawyers? They usually run the country so they are certainly capable of running a football club.

Living the dream

Had to listen to Tony Shaw critcising our prez for saying expectations were top 4. Good admins dont do that he says. I say remember Jeff Kennett???

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 2:19pm What's wrong with lawyers? They usually run the country so they are certainly capable of running a football club.
I judge each individual on their individual merit.

I just happen to believe Finnis and Lethlean are shithouse corporate suckhole careerists. Part of the AFL house boys club merry go round. More interested in sucking up to Gil than the Saints success.

Not what we need.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 2:19pm What's wrong with lawyers? They usually run the country so they are certainly capable of running a football club.
Well, you've got that right...Australia could very well be the St Kilda of the Western world!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

If our trained, but note not practicing lawyers, had say the initiative of the ambulance chaser section of that community at least there might be some energy and rat cunning shown. These guys are time servers, no passion, no vision. A good lawyer would cross examine our outraged Senior Coach, who seemed to think the worse thing about last night was that the effort by the players was a personal insult rather than proof of a complete system failure. They might ask Mr Richardson, you say the performance is unacceptable, do you understand the meaning of that word. Would you concede that the fact of the performance itself and no substantial changes to your approach show that you are a shyster or use the word without understanding. Mr Richardson the club has a duty to the players and the members as well as the AFL. You sent them out clearly unprepared to cope with a Sydney side that played as it always does, so no surprise there. What was your main tactic, how did you prepare the men mentally, why do you not take full responsibility. If it is unacceptable why do you accept it, albeit with a droopy lip. Do you understand the link between your so called coaching and a lack of physicality and the rabble like confusion displayed. Please answer Mr Richardson...Mr Richardson...

The Administration and the Coach will of course hold their nerve. They benefit from the status quo and in any case have no nerves they are just bureaucratic autobots. St Kilda Football Club means nothing to them why else would they be so passive in the current circumstances.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Beggars belief that Lethlean gets a mention as a positive.

Based on what ?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 1:56pm Our current president, board and football dept have taken us absolutely nowhere while spinning bullsh*t to all who will listen.
Why would you listen?

The AFL and all their clubs spend every single waking moment bullshitting.

That's what they do. They sell hope to battlers with not much else going on in their lives.

They con people into thinking that a group of strangers winning a game will make some difference to their lives. It doesn't. It's all bulls***.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I'm in agrreance with the OP.

Sackings for the sake of the antiquated "circuit breaker" or folding to the media agenda that loves a board spill or coach-kill as well as appeasing disgruntled fans will only set us back and destabilise the clubs development.

Making decisions based on improving stability would be far more helpful IMO.
Last edited by Cairnsman on Sun 10 Jun 2018 5:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Summers
Sexton
Finnis
Richardson
Elshaugh
Kingsley

We are possibly the most stable club in the AFL personnel wise.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I am convinced that both Finnis and Lethlean are AFL plants.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Saintly66
Club Player

People have short memories, GT got the arse and we actually ended up making grand finals. Not going to get into the injuries debate either in GT’s tenure as his game plans was garbage so it half evens out.
The key people are forgetting is there’s no point changing for the sake of it...probably better options than Richo out there hence why most of us want a change.
We’re not talking about Sheldon and Alves getting the arse here who actually had something that resembled a good track record, Richo has done sfa in 4.5 years. Time to go

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Saintly66 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:36pm .... Not going to get into the injuries debate either in GT’s tenure as his game plans was garbage so it half evens out.
?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:34pm I am convinced that both Finnis and Lethlean are AFL plants.
That's a fact isn't it?

Saintly66
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 5:31pm
Saintly66 wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:36pm .... Not going to get into the injuries debate either in GT’s tenure as his game plans was garbage so it half evens out.
?
As in even without injuries we were all attack with no defensive side, wasn’t a game plan to stand up in a grand final.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Getting a Mitchell or a Hodge type in on a one year contract that rolls into an assistant coaching role might be helpful to adding some stability on the field. We seem to be struggling for leadership when there is a run against us.

Getting an assistant who has coached an AFL team to support Richo might be helpful.

Regenerating the assistant coaches in this manner could be more helpful than the clean-out approach which can take time to settle down.

Our list requirements are well known by the club and supporters so stability will come from continuing to get the required types into the club.

These are the types of decisions that seem to becoming the new industry trend especially from the powerhouse clubs.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Copying industry trends isn't going to get us off the bottom.