McCartin V McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin V McCartin

Credit where credit is due. Paddy has shown improvement over the last few weeks.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
chico2001
Club Player

He was supposed to be as fit as a Buck rat at the start of the year, that was all over the media. So what happened to that fitness base then?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 2:24am He was supposed to be as fit as a Buck rat at the start of the year, that was all over the media. So what happened to that fitness base then?
More Saints media/marketing BS to con fans in to memberships.

Seems that the club is expert at that.

Not a great way to treat your customers though.... Not sure it is a sustainable long term strategy...

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Paddy will never be more than a GOP. That’s if he is lucky.

chico2001
Club Player

I can see him getting better but has to be high forward and impact type of player for a while. What I like is that he can hit the pack hard which is always a positive but definetly needs some coaching from a full forward who has kicked a shedful of goals over the years. I wouldn't throw him under the bus just yet even though I have been critical of him a fair bit.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 2:31am
chico2001 wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 2:24am He was supposed to be as fit as a Buck rat at the start of the year, that was all over the media. So what happened to that fitness base then?
More Saints media/marketing BS to con fans in to memberships.

Seems that the club is expert at that.

Not a great way to treat your customers though.... Not sure it is a sustainable long term strategy...
We now know not believe much or anything that comes out of the club

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

No I saw him at the B & F.

He was fit as a mallie bull.

Must have had a set back since then.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Sainternist wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:18pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 8:48am
Sainternist wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 2:07am I'd seen Paddy play worse. A shame the delivery into the forward line is a bloody shambles and hardly ever gives him a hope taking a mark or even getting a piece of the ball.
Paddy up the ground is a better player than Paddy in the 50 atm.

His pass forward covered 50 metres and hit the target, he narks cleanly, he has presence, and he is actually moving quite well and not looking 'blown up' after a chase.

Paddy needs to either be used differently until he develops his confidence, or needs to just relax in taking set shots.

Paddy is a good footballer - maybe not a #1 pick, but better than #23 on our list - so he needs to be developed and made to be the best Paddy that we can make him into on the field.
I agree. I still think he has plenty of potential up forward, it's just that he struggles with our current lack of real structure. He needs to add another string to his bow. In the modern game, it is all about versatility.
yep
if he is fit then lets see him put it out there
lets see if he has a tank
ok he still has merit at full forward - but he looked much better up the ground and that was against one of the best FB in the game.
SO AR here's an out of the box move that kills two birds with one stone
Play him as second ruck - go super quick & small in his absence with a forwardline of Battle Gresham Conellan ????
and let Paddy roam between centre and CHF as a link man - he CAN mark if he doesnt have to sit underneath a rain busting high ball & the guy can kick to leading players (dare i say it) like Lockett
try it - just try anythng

Seeya
saintkid
Club Player

derby Street wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 6:46pm
saintkid wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 5:54pm
derby Street wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 5:40pm
Con Gorozidis wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:19pm McCartin just needs to get super fit.
Way fitter than he is now.
Correct - That's way better - you should have said that first off.
Yeah easier said than done for Paddy. A better fitness base is always going to be a problem for him.
Why?
He is a type-1 diabetic. Physical exercise, insulin dosing and food intake need to be carefully balanced to avoid blood glucose levels becoming too low or too high. It's always going to be a compromise for him health-wise and at the end of the day, for his own good and well-being, physical exercise (of the three) is the one that he will be leveraging against. McCartin gives his all but he had and will continue to have barriers there that should have made the club pick wiser.

derby Street
Club Player

saintkid wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 5:56pm
Con Gorozidis wrote: Sun 10 Jun 2018 4:19pm McCartin just needs to get super fit.
Yeah easier said than done for Paddy. A better fitness base is always going to be a problem for him.
Why?
He is a type-1 diabetic. Physical exercise, insulin dosing and food intake need to be carefully balanced to avoid blood glucose levels becoming too low or too high. It's always going to be a compromise for him health-wise and at the end of the day, for his own good and well-being, physical exercise (of the three) is the one that he will be leveraging against. McCartin gives his all but he had and will continue to have barriers there that should have made the club pick wiser.
There have been many elite sportsman world wide who have had type 1 diabetes. I do know a fair bit about type 1 diabetes and willing to suggest probably a lot more than you.

saintkid
Club Player

derby Street wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 7:41pm
Why?
There have been many elite sportsman world wide who have had type 1 diabetes. I do know a fair bit about type 1 diabetes and willing to suggest probably a lot more than you.
Fair enough but there are always exceptions. Two people can present with identical symptoms and have identical diagnoses yet one can do remarkably better in terms of the way they rehabilitate. The beauty and uniqueness of humankind!
Paddy's athleticism and aerobic capacity to date is very average and he is now in his fourth season in the AFL, so I'm entitled to doubt his ability to take his fitness to a much higher level, from what he has shown over this period. His skill level is also far from elite, which a separate issue to his medical condition.
By the way, you mean have type 1 diabetes and not had, as this is a life-long condition. :)

nw7
Club Player

Paddy played ok against Swans. He should have kicked 4, he needs to start converting. I was really impressed with his field kicking when up the ground. He is getting better every week, playing forward to our mids would be tough.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

.....and while we're on the subject, Petracca is proving to be a very ordinary footballer. If we had selected him at #1 we'd be very disappointed. Quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if he was dropped by Melbourne.

derby Street
Club Player

saintkid wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 8:40pm
Why?
Fair enough but there are always exceptions. Two people can present with identical symptoms and have identical diagnoses yet one can do remarkably better in terms of the way they rehabilitate. The beauty and uniqueness of humankind!
Paddy's athleticism and aerobic capacity to date is very average and he is now in his fourth season in the AFL, so I'm entitled to doubt his ability to take his fitness to a much higher level, from what he has shown over this period. His skill level is also far from elite, which a separate issue to his medical condition.
By the way, you mean have type 1 diabetes and not had, as this is a life-long condition. :)
You are Correct - an extra word that I forgot to delete. And I do know very well that it is a life long condition - you should have also added with no known cure. You could also state that Paddys athleticism and aerobic capacity could very well have nothing to do with his diabetes. If you went through all AFL club lists over time there would be players with poor aerobic capacity who do not / did not have type 1 diabetes.

saintkid
Club Player

derby Street wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 11:29pm
saintkid wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 8:40pm
Why?
You are Correct - an extra word that I forgot to delete. And I do know very well that it is a life long condition - you should have also added with no known cure.
There was no need to add 'with no known cure'......my stating it is a life-long condition, means exactly that. :?

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Paddy definitely improving slowly.
Needs to be played at every opportunity.

Nee!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Paddy was far better than Tom Saturday night. If he was in the Swans team he would have kicked at kicked at least 5.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 11:27am Paddy was far better than Tom Saturday night. If he was in the Swans team he would have kicked at kicked at least 5.
You realise Tom is only 18?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 11:40am
CURLY wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 11:27am Paddy was far better than Tom Saturday night. If he was in the Swans team he would have kicked at kicked at least 5.
You realise Tom is only 18?
Yes I do but the thread title is McCartin v McCartin so who would you like me to post about?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
derby Street
Club Player

If he could kick straight. Should have kicked 3 for us. :D

stonecold
SS Life Member

Toy Saint wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 11:21pm .....and while we're on the subject, Petracca is proving to be a very ordinary footballer. If we had selected him at #1 we'd be very disappointed. Quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if he was dropped by Melbourne.
Yes indeed, like many of the Melbourne team, flat track bully!!!!!

Overrated on here, still happy to back Paddy, don't care what Con says!!!!!

Con seems to hate St.Kilda FC as a whole?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Crossy66
Club Player

stonecold wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 1:26pm
Toy Saint wrote: Mon 11 Jun 2018 11:21pm .....and while we're on the subject, Petracca is proving to be a very ordinary footballer. If we had selected him at #1 we'd be very disappointed. Quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if he was dropped by Melbourne.

The Petracca / McCartin argument has been done to death, but no doubt people will continue to raise it until they both retired. Facts are the saint brief was to find a riewoldt replacement, so we took the best tall forward - Simple. a more relevant discussion would therefore be we should have taken MArchbank or 2 metre Peter as the other 2 big talls in the top 10. I would take paddy out of those 3.

Petracca? if we had of taken him, the complaints would have been we should have taken deGoey or Brayshaw or Lever as right now, they are ahead of Petracca. In fact Touk Miller at pick 29 might have him covered also. More disposals, tackles, clearances etc.
Petracca is developing and will likely be a good player, but he has a way to go. Just think the comparisons are pointless. Plus Paddy has a Saints jumper on so has my support.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 3:15pm Plus Paddy has a Saints jumper on so has my support.
This!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Don't make up stuff

He doesn't hate the Saints. He is expressing emotion (mainly aimed at the incompetence of the heirarchy) and just lets his passion for the club get the better of him at times...especially straight after a loss

We hate being mediocre and we hate decisions that are not in the best long term interests of the St Kilda FC.

The statements made by the CEO and by the president thinking we have a list that has the potential for finals or even a top 4 spot have made us the laughing stock of the AFL.

We want our club to be successful and we want opposition fans to hate us, not to be laughing at us. We want them to fear coming up against us, not to be relishing playing against us

stonecold
SS Life Member

Scollop wrote: Tue 12 Jun 2018 3:43pm

Don't make up stuff

He doesn't hate the Saints. He is expressing emotion (mainly aimed at the incompetence of the heirarchy) and just lets his passion for the club get the better of him at times...especially straight after a loss

We hate being mediocre and we hate decisions that are not in the best long term interests of the St Kilda FC.

The statements made by the CEO and by the president thinking we have a list that has the potential for finals or even a top 4 spot have made us the laughing stock of the AFL.

We want our club to be successful and we want opposition fans to hate us, not to be laughing at us. We want them to fear coming up against us, not to be relishing playing against us
At all times, when the last positive post he put up about St.Kilda FC?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯