No debut for Freeman this week!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbob
SS Life Member

No debut for Freeman this week!!!

UNLUCKY St Kilda midfielder Nathan Freeman appears unlikely to make his debut this week, despite finally stringing some continuity and good form together in the VFL.

Freeman was originally selected by Collingwood with pick No.10 in the 2013 draft before joining St Kilda at the end of 2015, and has yet to play a senior game due to a long stream of soft-tissue injuries.

The 23-year-old has now played six consecutive games with the Saints' VFL affiliate side Sandringham, and recorded 29 disposals, seven marks and a goal in Sunday's 66-point loss to Richmond.

Coach Alan Richardson told Fox Footy’s AFL 360 that Freeman's debut would have to wait for another week.

"He's close, but he's still not quite ready," Richardson said.

"He's physically right to go, but just has to be completely confident in his body and just let himself go.

"[He needs to] get to another level in terms of his dynamic play, which is his 'one wood', and he's not quite there yet. But, he's getting closer."

When asked directly if Freeman will debut this year, Richardson didn't guarantee it.

"Certainly, that's the plan, but he'll play when he's ready to play, and he's not quite ready to go," Richardon said.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: No debut for Freeman this week!!!

Mr Delusional needs to pick Freeman FFS. We ain't playing finals this year and need to have a look at a few of our players and make some calls.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote: Mon 23 Jul 2018 11:27pm Mr Delusional needs to pick Freeman FFS. We ain't playing finals this year and need to have a look at a few of our players and make some calls.
Yep because you know more than the coaching panel, doctors, physios and everyone else that would go into making the decision.

takeaway
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote: Mon 23 Jul 2018 11:34pm
Jacks Back wrote: Mon 23 Jul 2018 11:27pm Mr Delusional needs to pick Freeman FFS. We ain't playing finals this year and need to have a look at a few of our players and make some calls.
Yep because you know more than the coaching panel, doctors, physios and everyone else that would go into making the decision.
Exactly. When he does debut, he will want to be able to go at full tilt, which I'm not sure he has as yet at Sandy. Be terrible if he goes hard to early, and gets injured - that would be it. I'm backing those at the club that know his status far better than anyone on here.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

takeaway wrote: Mon 23 Jul 2018 11:38pm
Exactly. When he does debut, he will want to be able to go at full tilt, which I'm not sure he has as yet at Sandy. Be terrible if he goes hard to early, and gets injured - that would be it. I'm backing those at the club that know his status far better than anyone on here.
Nah. You two blokes have no idea! 😁

Door 1: Trust some bloke off SS.net
or
Door 2: Trust the coaches, medicos, physios and selectors that actually work at the club every day as paid professionals

Hmmm.....hard door choice.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
ace
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Mon 23 Jul 2018 11:50pm

or
Door 2: Trust the coaches, medicos, physios and selectors that actually work at the club every day as paid professionals

Door 3: A coin to toss, trust the coin, you have a 50% chance of being right.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Im now convinced Richardson is the most dull-witted coach to ever be given the opportunity of running an AFL club.

Pelchen should be neuted for employing him.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Do you work for the club?

You’re the biggest apologist on this site!

Why back our coach?

He’s had 5 years to show his stuff and he’s showed sweet FA.

He’s in love with Mav and sometimes Lonie, plays Joyce who clearly is nowhere near it and persisted with Longer way way too long (not that Hickey is a messiah).

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

or

What do the medicos and physios have to do with it?

It's been publicly stated several times that his non-selection is not a physical thing.

takeaway
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 24 Jul 2018 7:51am

or

It's been publicly stated several times that his non-selection is not a physical thing.
Mental

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Frustrating...

I wouldn’t mind Freeman’s non-selection if it was on the background of a concscious approach to play the younger players with a lot of upside, unfortunately that is simply not our approach.

Freeman, Goddard, Pierce, White, Connellan, Paton all to miss again

Hickey/Longer, Gilbert, Weller, Savage lock in for another 5 games

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sums it up really. No daring. No innovation. No ambition.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Wouldn't be surprised if he debuts against the dogs next week. Makes more sense.

DavidGrant6

Richardson and the club needs to get realistic and understand that the club is currently going nowhere good. Play the kids, replace geary as captain in the offseason. Have to take another one or steps back to go forward.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Tue 24 Jul 2018 11:25am Wouldn't be surprised if he debuts against the dogs next week. Makes more sense.
Agree, next week makes sense. Home ground and more of a chance to play in a winning team as opposed to GWS away. Just don't expect too much from him. From what i have seen at Sandy he has lost his explosiveness and is now a standard inside mid

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Mav will play.

So its all good.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I don't think we should be getting too sentimental or tricky with this bloke.

If he is fit and performing at VFL level, just play him… who cares if his first game is interstate, I'm sure he is just desperate to register a game.

Another week in the VFL and he's just as likely to injure himself.

It's not like the team is flying either, about 12 blokes couldn't really complain if they were dropped, after we kicked 2 goals in a half.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

While I agree that he might not be going @ 100%, the double standards annoy me big time. How many times was Armo brought in to the seniors this year when he was absolutely no where near ready?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

+ 1

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

or

Are you serious? A guy with his history needs to be evaluated every week. Every player, every week is monitored by the medical staff.

Plus itd not just Freeman's selection. I'm basically saying that I have 99% more trust in the club's professionals than some emotional, nagative and idiotic drop kick that lives on this forum.

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Tue 24 Jul 2018 2:46pm

or

Are you serious? A guy with his history needs to be evaluated every week. Every player, every week is monitored by the medical staff.

Plus itd not just Freeman's selection. I'm basically saying that I have 99% more trust in the club's professionals than some emotional, nagative and idiotic drop kick that lives on this forum.
But the club has stated he's physically fine.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 24 Jul 2018 3:32pm
parkeysainter wrote: Tue 24 Jul 2018 2:46pm

or

But the club has stated he's physically fine.
What they say publicly and what they think privately are two different things. Is he physically ready for AFL senior footy? Really? We will probably find out next week against the Dogs.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

This is the guy that continually includes Lonie whenever there is a possible justification for it.....despite everyone knowing that it will fail....and that was at least 5 times ago.

So forgive me for being cynical about this new apparently hard edged criteria for selection.

We will finish bottom 3 , what the hell does it matter if we try Freeman now instead of a struggling Newnes or Weller?

Its not like he's replacing Lenny Hayes.

Nee!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

BBMD is right. The club have to make sure he can go 100% in an AFL game, and he's simply not there yet. Wishful thinking versus reality. Why don't we throw Dylan Roberton back into the team this week? He's back in training, so he must be good to go.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

oh I forgot about Lonie.

Why do we need to rush Freeman when we have such quality key players.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....