David King on Saints today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

David King on Saints today

Listened to him on SEN. Was as disappointed as us with our method into forward fifty and our poor conversion. He stated that the problem was method (which means coaching), and made reference to bombing the ball in. He made a strong case for us to chase Sam Mitchell and Blake Caracella, and made it clear he thought Richardson needed help (just as Buckley and Hardwick did before they had their assistant team revamped). He also stated our method was outdated and other clubs had moved on from our type of game plan years ago.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: David King on Saints today

Christ! How “ insightful” .... where the phucking hell has this “ guru “ been all season? Obviously not watching us!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What's he supposed to say?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shrodes
SS Life Member

David King hates us with a passion though, he would be taking potshots if we were finals bound also.

8bloggs
Club Player

Agree that our 'method' is outdated, especially against the best teams. It drives me nuts when we are unable to get a quick forward entry we decide to adopt the statistic friendly approach of going sideways and/or backwards to effect a switch which is way too slow and ends up either a) being a bomb into the forward line with more opposition players there than if it was bombed in the first place or b) an entry where our forward has marked so deep in the pocket where the chance of kicking a goal is minimised!
I don't know how much of our inability to execute into the forward line quickly and effectively is due to coaching or talent/skill - probably both - what do other forumites think?

8bloggs
Club Player

Agree that our 'method' is outdated, especially against the best teams. It drives me nuts when we are unable to get a quick forward entry we decide to adopt the statistic friendly approach of going sideways and/or backwards to effect a switch which is way too slow and ends up either a) being a bomb into the forward line with more opposition players there than if it was bombed in the first place or b) an entry where our forward has marked so deep in the pocket where the chance of kicking a goal is minimised!
I don't know how much of our inability to execute into the forward line quickly and effectively is due to coaching or talent/skill - probably both - what do other forumites think?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I think in this case that external criticism, particularly when it is justified is useful.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

8bloggs wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 6:17pm Agree that our 'method' is outdated, especially against the best teams. It drives me nuts when we are unable to get a quick forward entry we decide to adopt the statistic friendly approach of going sideways and/or backwards to effect a switch which is way too slow and ends up either a) being a bomb into the forward line with more opposition players there than if it was bombed in the first place or b) an entry where our forward has marked so deep in the pocket where the chance of kicking a goal is minimised!
I thought we were going to own the corridor. What ever happened to that objective?

Also, Kingsley’s role as transition coach has been a massive failure. Whatever happened to that convulted game plan that was dropped after round 6?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I agree with King that getting Mitchell and Caracella is definitely a good move.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Tommyj
Club Player

Kings a dick it's the end of the season everyone knows our game plan is outdated the man is a moron

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 5:51pm Christ! How “ insightful” .... where the phucking hell has this “ guru “ been all season? Obviously not watching us!
Hes been saying it all season - where has our super coach been?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

King has been very careful with his words about us all season. He doesn't want to openly pot coaches. He's of the same opinion in regards to Bolton at Carlton. I hated King as a player. He was super aggressive and pushed the boundaries of what was acceptable. However, i do respect his opinions on the game, and I think he's been pretty respectful of St Kilda given the absolute shite we've served up this year. He knows his stuff, and he knows our coaching panel is failing the players. He also knows we're lacking dynamic midfielders. Okay, nothing we don't already know ourselves, but he's prepared to say it without ripping us to shreds in the process.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

His comments are pretty much spot on really.
Last edited by prwilkinson on Mon 30 Jul 2018 10:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 5:45pm Listened to him on SEN. Was as disappointed as us with our method into forward fifty and our poor conversion. He stated that the problem was method (which means coaching), and made reference to bombing the ball in. He made a strong case for us to chase Sam Mitchell and Blake Caracella, and made it clear he thought Richardson needed help (just as Buckley and Hardwick did before they had their assistant team revamped). He also stated our method was outdated and other clubs had moved on from our type of game plan years ago.
Yeah was in the car when King was on SEN and thought he was objective and measured about where it's at. I got to say though I didn't think he was asserting our game plan was outdated and he was more expressing execution as problematic. Must admit though I had other things on my mind while navigating afternnon traffic so maybe I misinterpreted. The general ghist was interesting though.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 9:42pm
cwrcyn wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 5:45pm Listened to him on SEN. Was as disappointed as us with our method into forward fifty and our poor conversion. He stated that the problem was method (which means coaching), and made reference to bombing the ball in. He made a strong case for us to chase Sam Mitchell and Blake Caracella, and made it clear he thought Richardson needed help (just as Buckley and Hardwick did before they had their assistant team revamped). He also stated our method was outdated and other clubs had moved on from our type of game plan years ago.
Yeah was in the car when King was on SEN and thought he was objective and measured about where it's at. I got to say though I didn't think he was asserting our game plan was outdated and he was more expressing execution as problematic. Must admit though I had other things on my mind while navigating afternnon traffic so maybe I misinterpreted. The general ghist was interesting though.
There's traffic in Cairns?

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Last edited by Myron Gaines on Fri 10 Aug 2018 8:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 9:44pm
I hear that when your car is surrounded by crocodiles it is hard to concentrate on footy or draining a swamp.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 9:44pm
Melbourne traffic.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Myron, you're a fan if King's, then? :wink:

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Ha the ole footy experts "The game plan is outdated" yet don't expand to say what our supposed outdated game plan is

So easy to say they bomb it long and that's the problem .... well listen up idiots ....... every fkn team bombs it long at various stages during games ....... every fkn team

Yes even Richmond do it but they use speed awareness and decent hand skills to move the ball forward and tjey have the most hardworking agile forward target in the league - also helps they have the best defence set up in the game where they can afford to keep guys forward of the ball and allow them to attack hard forward cause they don't need to rely on extra men back

So easy for idiots like King to say that a team down the bottom have am outdated game plan - just a vanilla explanation that they think will show the audience they know what they are talking about

Is the Western Bulldogs gameplan outdated? They won the GF 2 years back and only sit half a game above us - surely their gameplan hasn't become obsolete in 18 months? Maybe it's because they have had a raft of injuries ...... like us?

We had 40 to 16 forward entries and double the amount of scoring shots against a top 4 team away from home on the weekend - ok we didn't kick straight and if we did should have been up by 5 goals but there didnt seem too much wrong with the general game plan in that half of footy - as it was inexperience and skill let us down in the end and GWS slotting a few from 50m out sunk us

For sure our gameplan needs a few changes but I am certain that it isn't that much different to most teams

Stability re first 22 is the key and we have been smashed all year in that department - a standalone VFL team would help as well

Oh yeah and fk David King

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintbob
SS Life Member

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 8:34pm
thejiggingsaint wrote: Mon 30 Jul 2018 5:51pm Christ! How “ insightful” .... where the phucking hell has this “ guru “ been all season? Obviously not watching us!
Hes been saying it all season - where has our super coach been?
I agree he has said it repeatedly, and is probably the only one in the media that has called out Richo on our total lack of method.

wally
Club Player

I think we all agree the combination of game plan & player capabilities don't work.

What I'd like to hear one of these experts tell us what will work with the cattle we have.

I don't think there's a quick fix but wheels have to get into motion.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

King said "St Kilda need a new philosophy with ball movement forward of centre".

He went on to further say, "is it method?, is it personnel?, I don't have the answers".

He also said, "there is enough to suggest there is real hope at St Kilda", and he also said "we've got some work to do".

What he didn't say as far as I can tell from going back and watching the vid on the SEN website is what the OP claims which is:

He also stated our method was outdated and other clubs had moved on from our type of game plan years ago.

I also couldn't find where King claimed we bombed it in as claimed by the OP.

Here is the link to the King segment on Vid at the SEN website.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/07/30/ ... wsource=em

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Never like to say "he's had it in for us" but with King, I think he genuinely doesn't like us...only media person I see it in actively disliking us.

Having said that - he's absolutely right here.

Our game plan is rubbish. I see no tactical strategy. No concerted effort to work out how we should play. Just a very erratic, haphazard method that falls apart due to lack of skill.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Tue 31 Jul 2018 5:45pm Never like to say "he's had it in for us" but with King, I think he genuinely doesn't like us...only media person I see it in actively disliking us.

Having said that - he's absolutely right here.

Our game plan is rubbish. I see no tactical strategy. No concerted effort to work out how we should play. Just a very erratic, haphazard method that falls apart due to lack of skill.
You really get a sense of how Chinese whispers are super charged on the net.

Did you watch the Vid?