Lethlean broom just getting started

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

Lethlean broom just getting started

Lethlean has started in the recruiting dept changing the list manager and has gone through 3 assistant coaches like a German Panzer division.
Now for a list that required high end talent, leadership and in particular some outside speed.
I expect some casualties from players that think they are safe, players that may be moved on due to a need to offer something to get some trades moving for the right type of player to make our list more balanced.
Players such as Newnes, Dunstan, Longer, Armitage and not just the obvious delistings.

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lethlean broom just getting started

seems Lethlean missed the last life boat from the wreck that is the STKFC with not getting the Melbourne job
He's got no choice now, he's in it with us up to his eyeballs, and what was to be a cushy little "country governorship" while he kept a low profile, has become a real test of the operator we're told he is. To leave St Kilda at any point soon in the disarray we're in would be a massive blot on his CV and one which would severely limit his future prospects. I know the AFL could easily cover for him and spin whatever they wanted, but IMO this is the situation

He might not be happy about being here, but by God, if he's half the bloke he's supposed to be, then I wait with interest to see how tough he is when he gets going and what a "good administrator" can do, if indeed he is a good administrator, and not just some fast talking hack

Sucks to be him I guess, but then its sucks to be us

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Vazelos wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 12:44am Lethlean has started in the recruiting dept changing the list manager and has gone through 3 assistant coaches like a German Panzer division.
Now for a list that required high end talent, leadership and in particular some outside speed.
I expect some casualties from players that think they are safe, players that may be moved on due to a need to offer something to get some trades moving for the right type of player to make our list more balanced.
Players such as Newnes, Dunstan, Longer, Armitage and not just the obvious delistings.
Is the Coach safe?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 12:44am Lethlean has started in the recruiting dept changing the list manager and has gone through 3 assistant coaches like a German Panzer division.
LOL..all he has done so far is shoot the soft targets. Nothing significant has yet been done.

Problem is identifying good players . So he has changed the contract manger and has done nothing about the recruiting except say that we will get some new beaut analytics software so that our recruiters can say...well the black box said he would be good.

Coaching?. Spare me. All he has down so far is to shoot the lesser lights. All the main guys including Richo are still there.

Panzer Division. Hah, hah... You mean Pansies surely?

Can we stop with the fanboi worship of Lethlean till he has actually achieved something.

It is a bit like the worship of Bains who oversaw our list going backwards and whose parting gift to us was to re-sign Richo for 2 years when no one was chasing him, and to trade away our second pick in a strong draft for a late second pick in weak draft.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Those players won’t get us much.

Not saying we should do it but we would need to be looking at trading players like Billings and Ross if we want to get substantial draft picks.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Make him coach

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

The move for this bloke is baffling.
Sacking assistants?
Piece of piss come on. Jesus Christ.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

When the time is right, Lethlean will be out of this club with the velocity of a post- vindaloo turd!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 1:59am
Those players won’t get us much.

Not saying we should do it but we would need to be looking at trading players like Billings and Ross if we want to get substantial draft picks.
As you say it ain't going to happen and neither it should. Ross is AA material.

Let Dunstan go back to Sth Aussie for our round two pick.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

HardSaint wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 1:20am seems Lethlean missed the last life boat from the wreck that is the STKFC with not getting the Melbourne job
He's got no choice now, he's in it with us up to his eyeballs, and what was to be a cushy little "country governorship" while he kept a low profile, has become a real test of the operator we're told he is. To leave St Kilda at any point soon in the disarray we're in would be a massive blot on his CV and one which would severely limit his future prospects. I know the AFL could easily cover for him and spin whatever they wanted, but IMO this is the situation

He might not be happy about being here, but by God, if he's half the bloke he's supposed to be, then I wait with interest to see how tough he is when he gets going and what a "good administrator" can do, if indeed he is a good administrator, and not just some fast talking hack

Sucks to be him I guess, but then its sucks to be us
I worked in the Dept of Defence for 2 decades. As a civilian.
The military have a 'posting cycle' of 24 months; every 2 years, they get relocated. From Sydney to Adelaide or Perth, etc. If they're married, it's not as frequent, as this hurts kids' schooling etc.
Each time we had a new Major or Captain come in, they weren't fussed about being liked,
just doing the best job for Defence, leave a good legacy, good for their CV.

If this is how Lethlean is thinking, i.e. "I'm only here till something better comes along"
then he IS the best man for the job.
I've lived thru similar, he wants to leave the place in better shape than when he came in,
take no prisoners, show no favour, cold, ruthless and efficient, don't care if
'we've always done it this way'.

The public support for Coach Brainless is a directive from AFL HQ/The Kremlin, because sacking
the numpty is such a bad look due to our debt; will stop gossip from the Caro The Witch and Barrett The Buffoon.

It's my belief that L-Dog will surgically remove any tumours, and bring in new processes
that work, so on his Linkedin profile and CV it will show that while his tenure was short,
by gee did he make an impact.

Just my 2 cents based on 22 years of working under 2-year turnover leaders.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

'we want him to be the best coach he can be'
i infer that the numpty is falling short, very short, and HE needs to lift his game,
so he's getting more help.

Down the track, if he's still useless, the club can say
'we changed the assistants, the team is still shite, so it must be YOU-
Here's 3 months severance pay, go"

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 7:17pm

If this is how Lethlean is thinking, i.e. "I'm only here till something better comes along"
then he IS the best man for the job.
I've lived thru similar, he wants to leave the place in better shape than when he came in,
take no prisoners, show no favour, cold, ruthless and efficient, don't care if
'we've always done it this way'.

Will I agree with this in that it can happen, he a has to be given the right job, (and I very much suspect that his brief and/or how he will interpret it is way too limited and to focused on wjat the CEO and Board want rather than what may be best for Saints).

ie at present it would seem that his brief is limited.

- Reviewing just the Assistant Coaches (and perhaps not all of them) and not the entire Football Department including the Head Coach.

- Reviewing just the List Manager and some fringe elements rather than having carte blanch over all staff in the Recruiting Team.

PS: The Army example is biased though as the officer is staying in the Army and so has a more vested and long-term perspective IMO. Whereas there area lot of private industry types who sometimes can be of the mould of moving on before their mistakes come to light.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 05 Aug 2018 7:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
happy feet
Club Player

Have you ever heard of Einsteins Theory of Insanity?. It involves doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. I think our coach subscribes to that theory from the selection table to game day and to media conferences. And by doing the same thing over and over again we keep on losing.

I think our Board subscribes to that theory, as do the Club's Adminstration.

Lethlean is reviewing and changing, not fast enough for my liking.

Obe-Wan Kenobi, we need your help.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
BenLong#21
Club Player

happy feet wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 7:38pm Have you ever heard of Einsteins Theory of Insanity?. It involves doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. I think our coach subscribes to that theory from the selection table to game day and to media conferences. And by doing the same thing over and over again we keep on losing.

You are right.
We went to the store and were sold a box of 'stability'.
When we got home and unpacked the box it seems we purchased a box of 'insanity'.

Can we get a refund? What is the returns policy?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

BenLong#21 wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 7:40pm
happy feet wrote: Sun 05 Aug 2018 7:38pm Have you ever heard of Einsteins Theory of Insanity?. It involves doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. I think our coach subscribes to that theory from the selection table to game day and to media conferences. And by doing the same thing over and over again we keep on losing.

You are right.
We went to the store and were sold a box of 'stability'.
When we got home and unpacked the box it seems we purchased a box of 'insanity'.

Can we get a refund? What is the returns policy?
life is like a box of chocolates (Forrest Gump)
we opened the box
we saw a lot of brown items
They didn't smell so good

but hey, the label said 'may contain traces of nuts' so that was honest