Saints stand by Richo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints stand by Richo

saynta wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 6:00pm
The OtherThommo wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 5:56pm
saynta wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 5:41pm
tony74 wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 5:37pm All aspects of the club share the blame. That was the message during the review. The club has got us in this mess. The club has to get us out of this mess. The club as a whole.
I don’t really care if you don’t like that answer, it’s fact. It’s a real grim place at the moment.
Thanks tony 74. I accept what you say. Can't say the same about some of the wrist slashing negative dim nellies on here.

They want to burn the whole place down this week, but they would backflip in an instance if we won a game or two.
Get a grip man! Wanting senior management figures to accept responsibility for their actions, and the outcomes resulting from those actions, is a very long way from wanting to burn the joint down.

And, that's a 'crap post'!

I offer no opinion on whether that is beneath you, or not.

And, no, you will not see me 'back flip' if we win a game, or two. I said after Round 1 last year I thought Richardson was short of being a senior coach. The man is not a strategic thinker, and that's an imperative for being a senior coach.
Gat a grip? I would suggest you lossen yours. Where did I specifically mention you in the post you have quoted?

FFS, the whole forum has been riddled with negative posts for weeks if not months.

You are just the latest in a long line of disgruntled supporters venting their spleens imho.
And rightly so. When our membership dollars are producing the kind of garbage we’re seeing and the management are blaming the employees, we have every right to complain loudly and at length.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 6:25pm
saynta wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 5:14pm
st.byron wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 3:35pm
saynta wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 2:45pm
st.byron wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 2:23pm
saynta wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 1:56pm
The OtherThommo wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 1:11pm

The minute you detect the management ranks deflecting all responsibility on to the employees, you know you’re f***ed!

‘Lethers’ isn’t a hard man, he’s a spiv from HQ come to shore up mediocrity, and protect the hierarchy from accountability.

Come the lawyers from HQ, come the decline. Finnis and Lethlean? Both Lawyers.
What utter crap. The post is beneath you TOT.
ToT is spot on. Anytime management starts blaming the employees instead of evaluating their own performance you’re on a slippery slope to even worse performance. If management does want to address issues with employees....i.e. coaches / administrators wanting to address issues with players, then keep it in house. Don’t publicly belittle those who work for you. Put the shoe on the other foot. Imagine if various players came out and publicly said the coaching is sub-standard and administrators are protecting mediocrity. How would that look? Like a club in open revolt. But it seems Lethlean and Richardson at least think they can publicly belittle the playing group as though that’s somehow going to make them better players. They are a disaster, compounding their incompetence with blaming and finger pointing.
Not spot on at all. It was and is a crap post. But hey, stick up for you mates and sink the boot into the club, if it makes you feel better.

Even Ross said the players were dead in the water after they stopped competing.
I’m not sticking up for my mates. The second and third sentences of your post are completely unnecessary. Just your world view of everything having to be an argument and adversarial. You could have just posted about what Seb Ross said, which I hadn’t heard. I agree with the post and am happy to have a debate with those who agree and those who don’t. I still reckon accountability for the player’s performance lies with the coach. Yes they have to bring themselves to the contest, but if they’re not motivated and dead in the water then I have to ask, why is that?
:roll: More crap. You never debate you just insult. Been doing it for tears.

I noticed you edited your post from just being rolly eyes to adding the text as well. My nomination for the most ironic post of the year, possibly decade. Pot Kettle Black writ large. Of all the insulting, personally abusive, belittling, constantly argumentative keyboard warriors on here over the years, you Saynta and your previous forum incarnation are on the podium vying for #1 spot.
How typical. More abuse. :roll:

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Nup. Just the truth. Ok enough. Going nowhere. I should know better than to argue with this individual.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 6:19pm
tony74 wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 5:37pm All aspects of the club share the blame. That was the message during the review. The club has got us in this mess. The club has to get us out of this mess. The club as a whole.
I don’t really care if you don’t like that answer, it’s fact. It’s a real grim place at the moment.
Thanks tony 74. I accept what you say. Can't say the same about some of the wrist slashing negative dim nellies on here.

They want to burn the whole place down this week, but they would backflip in an instance if we won a game or two.
Get a grip man! Wanting senior management figures to accept responsibility for their actions, and the outcomes resulting from those actions, is a very long way from wanting to burn the joint down.

And, no, you will not see me 'back flip' if we win a game, or two. I said after Round 1 last year I thought Richardson was short of being a senior coach. The man is not a strategic thinker, and that's an imperative for being a senior coach.
Gat a grip? I would suggest you lossen yours. Where did I specifically mention you in the post you have quoted?

FFS, the whole forum has been riddled with negative posts for weeks if not months.

You are just the latest in a long line of disgruntled supporters venting their spleens imho.
Ya pays your dollars Ost, ya buys the right to vent ya spleen.

And, no amount of hyperbole about 'dim nellies' and 'wrist slashing' will ever change that.
Yep, I suppose so.

Look, I greatly respect you, have done for years. I don't want to get into any argy bargy with you.

We have different views on this.

As an outsider I don't really know what is going on, only that something stinks.

You may have more inside knowledge.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 5:53pm
The OtherThommo wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 5:48pm
saynta wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 5:21pm
st.byron wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 5:19pm
Great post ToT. This cuts to the essence of why the players should not be blamed. They are demoralised because they have a coach they don’t trust. Hard to front up week after week and play for someone you’re completely disconnected from.
How do you know that? Spoken to the players have you? The players are blaming themselves ffs, Geez whip.
You watch how they perform, that's how. Did you see how they came back onto the ground after half time? They'd clearly been inspired by the 15 odd minutes they'd just spent in the hands of the club's leadership - NOT.

Geez whip, yourself. The only way works is if the group you're seeking to 'command' is NOT demoralised. Demoralised groups, as a group, are rarely robust enough to respond positively to occasional bollockings, let alone constantly being bollocked publicly, by a management group that is evidentially deflecting all responsibility away from themselves, and decisions they have made, and executed.
I was talking to the other guy not you. :roll: :roll: :roll:

But then both of you like to sound important and like to let others believe they have an inside handle on the problem.

I don't accept the gist of your argument.

Your lawyer insult didn't go down to well either.

Not that I think you would care,

"your seemingly preferred authoritarian/disciplinarian style" Where did I say that?

No, don't bother answering.
Line 1: You'd podded us as 2 peas of like mind, I was just complying and helping out a "mate", as you put it.

Line 2: Doesn't make sense.

Line 3: Solid point, and entirely fair enough.

Line 4: Reads as a tad sooky. Still, you're certainly not the first of that ilk that I've encountered over the journey.

Line 5: I do, and I don't.

Line 6: You didn't need to say it - see "seemingly", as in 'it seems to me'. You seem to think I like to sound important, you seem to me to prefer the 'authoritarian/disciplinarian' styles of leadership. We all do it!

Line 7: No bother.
Last edited by The OtherThommo on Mon 06 Aug 2018 6:42pm, edited 2 times in total.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I appreciate you coming on here Tony74, as it gives a great insight to the inner sanctum.

However, respectfully, I don't like that answer.

I don't actually understand it to be honest. Who does the club believe got them into the mess?

There's quite a big chunk of the list that has played every single minute of their careers under Richardson and Kingsley, and several more who have played the vast majority of theirs under them.

They've never been a good team during this time.

No players have been league leaders in any stat, and none have been in the AA team during this time. I think only Ross and Roberton have even been in the squad.

Given how many broken ribs and concussions we've had, it's unfair and inaccurate to suggest that the players don't have a crack.
Given the sheer volume of top 20 draft picks on our list, I think it's also a stretch to suggest that the recruiters just got them all wrong. Every single one of them?

It's the coaching. The strategy is either flawed, or the communication is. It has to be one or the other - or both.

I can understand if the club sees something in Richardson that the rest of the world doesn't. But what I can't understand is how both he and Kingsley can possibly stay.

Surely, surely one must go.

Pulling the whole 'we're all to blame' line is really quite weird I reckon.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

This quoted post needs to be in this thread as well.

Quote from Moorabbin Ghost on BF...

“I’ve tried to bite my tongue on this topic for 2 years now but I honestly think Richo is getting worse, not better. Some of his pig headedness (particularly at selection) has been astounding. Players knowing that some of their teammates get a free pass on certain aspects of Richo’s “gameplan” while others are ridiculed in front of everyone.

The absolutely farcical gameplan that Richo came up with over summer that was identical to the previous years, even though everyone knows that it won’t work. Then over the whole pre season we can see that it’s not working but we don’t fine tune, we just keep rolling along.

The game in Geelong where Richo was petrified of a hiding so he played 1-2 extras around the footy all game, giving us absolutely no hope at all of winning from the first bounce. To see him chuffed that we were winning clearance but bombing it long to Paddy vs 3 Cats defenders was embarrassing. We continued with this crap all game to lose by 50 points while kicking 7 goals. This was the final nail in the coffin for me, seeing our youngsters running around clearly frustrated, clearly knowing they were being given no hope to win by their coach. Players were pleading to line coaches at the breaks to at least even the numbers up in front of the footy only to be ignored. Line coaches being ignored when pleading to change set ups as it wasn’t working.

Only a few in the media really highlighted the worst tactical effort from an AFL coach that I’ve ever seen, and Robbo was one of them.

How can our youngsters ever hope to learn when that is the way they are being asked to play?

I have nothing personal against Richo, he’s a decent bloke as we all know, but I can’t stay silent and let him ruin players careers. Our club is in crisis and if we do indeed keep Richo for at least another year then I shudder to think where our footy club will be at. I won’t say anymore, I’m just so upset with where my club is at and where it’s headed.”

That’s why we’re all banging on endlessly about it. Because it makes us sad, angry, profoundly disappointed, disheartened. It’s just rubbish. And to see Finnis et al shifting the deck chairs on the Titanic rather than excising the core of the disease just makes it worse. A sense of powerlessness, of being treated like an idiot. Why the F*** would I buy another membership under these circumstances? So what, we’ve got another two years of this utter tripe to put up with????? Is that the reality of it?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 6:40pm
Great post ToT. This cuts to the essence of why the players should not be blamed. They are demoralised because they have a coach they don’t trust. Hard to front up week after week and play for someone you’re completely disconnected from.
How do you know that? Spoken to the players have you? The players are blaming themselves ffs, Geez whip.
You watch how they perform, that's how. Did you see how they came back onto the ground after half time? They'd clearly been inspired by the 15 odd minutes they'd just spent in the hands of the club's leadership - NOT.

Geez whip, yourself. The only way works is if the group you're seeking to 'command' is NOT demoralised. Demoralised groups, as a group, are rarely robust enough to respond positively to occasional bollockings, let alone constantly being bollocked publicly, by a management group that is evidentially deflecting all responsibility away from themselves, and decisions they have made, and executed.

But then both of you like to sound important and like to let others believe they have an inside handle on the problem.

"your seemingly preferred authoritarian/disciplinarian style" Where did I say that?

Line 1: You'd podded us as 2 peas of like mind, I was just complying and helping out a "mate", as you put it.

Line 4: Reads as a tad sooky. Still, you're certainly not the first of that ilk that I've encountered over the journey.

Line 6: You didn't need to say it - see "seemingly", as in 'it seems to me'. You seem to think I like to sound important, you seem to me to prefer the 'authoritarian/disciplinarian' styles of leadership. We all do it!

:wink: :wink: :D

Line 2: My bad, should have read "you" not "they"

Truce?.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 6:33pm
The OtherThommo wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 6:19pm

Ya pays your dollars Ost, ya buys the right to vent ya spleen.

And, no amount of hyperbole about 'dim nellies' and 'wrist slashing' will ever change that.
Yep, I suppose so.

Look, I greatly respect you, have done for years. I don't want to get into any argy bargy with you.

We have different views on this.

As an outsider I don't really know what is going on, only that something stinks.

You may have more inside knowledge.
As a matter of fact, I've have just received some information over the interwebs, from someone who is closer to proceedings than me;

"Just clarify a small point Summers & Finnis asked Lethlean to conduct a review
of football department but the terms of reference (club insider's advice)
excepted one person ..........Alan Richardson ...... pretty clear hence why all the
assistants, when asked to give reports on why they should keep their jobs, knew they were
screwed before it started."

But, wait, there's more (I need to doctor this a bit)- one of the lesser coaches was sounded out, about his willingness to accept an interim role, should they not be able to construct a case to justify Richardson continuing on (or, I'm assuming, things going from the current just woeful, to catastrophic, by season's end). The sounded out one said "No". Plus, something about not being able to contract 'new' coaches until the end of October (dunno about that, not my field).

Somebody also seems to be concerned about mounting negative publicity not being good for the general mood, and the immediate prospects of attracting various needed talent. It also seems the coach might soon cop a real flogging on at least one of those free to air 'analysis (HA!) and commentary programs. Producers do tend to advise what's coming up, and ask for representation to appear, or responses to questions and suggestions.

This is one of the moments when I refuse to take any responsibility! I'm just passing it on! Although, the author does have some reasonably solid history, ITK wise.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 6:49pm

Truce?.
Not cranky (with you, anyway) at all. Just shootin' some s*** (for the first time in ages - I tend to need solid motivation, these days).

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 7:14pm
saynta wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 6:49pm

Truce?.
Not cranky (with you, anyway) at all. Just shootin' some s*** (for the first time in ages - I tend to need solid motivation, these days).
:wink: Thanks. I sent you a PM.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 6:41pm This quoted post needs to be in this thread as well.

“I’ve tried to bite my tongue on this topic for 2 years now but I honestly think Richo is getting worse, not better. Some of his pig headedness (particularly at selection) has been astounding. Players knowing that some of their teammates get a free pass on certain aspects of Richo’s “gameplan” while others are ridiculed in front of everyone.

The absolutely farcical gameplan that Richo came up with over summer that was identical to the previous years, even though everyone knows that it won’t work. Then over the whole pre season we can see that it’s not working but we don’t fine tune, we just keep rolling along.

The game in Geelong where Richo was petrified of a hiding so he played 1-2 extras around the footy all game, giving us absolutely no hope at all of winning from the first bounce. To see him chuffed that we were winning clearance but bombing it long to Paddy vs 3 Cats defenders was embarrassing. We continued with this crap all game to lose by 50 points while kicking 7 goals. This was the final nail in the coffin for me, seeing our youngsters running around clearly frustrated, clearly knowing they were being given no hope to win by their coach. Players were pleading to line coaches at the breaks to at least even the numbers up in front of the footy only to be ignored. Line coaches being ignored when pleading to change set ups as it wasn’t working.

Only a few in the media really highlighted the worst tactical effort from an AFL coach that I’ve ever seen, and Robbo was one of them.

How can our youngsters ever hope to learn when that is the way they are being asked to play?

I have nothing personal against Richo, he’s a decent bloke as we all know, but I can’t stay silent and let him ruin players careers. Our club is in crisis and if we do indeed keep Richo for at least another year then I shudder to think where our footy club will be at. I won’t say anymore, I’m just so upset with where my club is at and where it’s headed.”

That’s why we’re all banging on endlessly about it. Because it makes us sad, angry, profoundly disappointed, disheartened. It’s just rubbish. And to see Finnis et al shifting the deck chairs on the Titanic rather than excising the core of the disease just makes it worse. A sense of powerlessness, of being treated like an idiot. Why the F*** would I buy another membership under these circumstances? So what, we’ve got another two years of this utter tripe to put up with????? Is that the reality of it?
By crikey, I could have written that! That Geelong game was emblematic of 'Saints Footy' Richardson style.

And, I've also heard the word 'ridicule', in relation to player management - AND I HATE THAT!!!! The term 'playing favourites' is also a significant concern, and a sign of dissonance to expect no-one will notice, or be effected by it (cos, if you understood it would infect the group, why in the hell would you do it, why would it be part of your 'management style'? It's a shocking sign, and one of being completely out of your depth)

In relation to MG's reference to 'biting his tongue' for 2 years, I earlier referred to having concluded Richardson wasn't a senior coach after Round 1 last year. I so concluded because we'd reorganised the list to have 2 experienced, and sizeable, key defenders (Carlisle and Brown), after playing for a few years with a smallish, but group minded defence (led by Sean Dempster), where we would get numbers to contests in the air and, if we could get it back, run in numbers to get it out.

Now, there was nothing prima facie wrong with moving to 2 'traditional' key defenders. But, for mine, for that to be successful, you had to restructure the game and player types around those 2 key defenders - primarily, to compensate for the change in structure, the players around Carlisle and Brown had to be quicker, and able to run longer and further.

No such strategic change was made. I was worried we wouldn't adapt and, as the year progressed, we didn't. Montagna playing back papered over the cracks, a bit. But, once he went, we became very exposed. And so it's gone.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sad. I think the "writing is on the wall", so to speak for Richo.

Better Richo fall on his sword than the whole club.

BenLong#21
Club Player

The OtherThommo wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 7:37pm
st.byron wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 6:41pm This quoted post needs to be in this thread as well.

By crikey, I could have written that! That Geelong game was emblematic of 'Saints Footy' Richardson style.

And, I've also heard the word 'ridicule', in relation to player management - AND I HATE THAT!!!! The term 'playing favourites' is also a significant concern, and a sign of dissonance to expect no-one will notice, or be effected by it (cos, if you understood it would infect the group, why in the hell would you do it, why would it be part of your 'management style'? It's a shocking sign, and one of being completely out of your depth)

In relation to MG's reference to 'biting his tongue' for 2 years, I earlier referred to having concluded Richardson wasn't a senior coach after Round 1 last year. I so concluded because we'd reorganised the list to have 2 experienced, and sizeable, key defenders (Carlisle and Brown), after playing for a few years with a smallish, but group minded defence (led by Sean Dempster), where we would get numbers to contests in the air and, if we could get it back, run in numbers to get it out.

Now, there was nothing prima facie wrong with moving to 2 'traditional' key defenders. But, for mine, for that to be successful, you had to restructure the game and player types around those 2 key defenders - primarily, to compensate for the change in structure, the players around Carlisle and Brown had to be quicker, and able to run longer and further.

No such strategic change was made. I was worried we wouldn't adapt and, as the year progressed, we didn't. Montagna playing back papered over the cracks, a bit. But, once he went, we became very exposed. And so it's gone.
The writing was on the wall after the JLT series. The game plan looked as horrible as it did at the end of last season.
Unfortunately that has carried on in the season proper without being addressed.
The Geelong game was horrendous and clearly Richo's game plan was plain for all to see. Tom Stewart managed 8 marks despite an injured leg.
This new 'blame the players' message is corporatist conduct at its worst - as you rightly pointed out.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

I can categorically state that money is not the issue with Richo’s tenure. That has been covered.

suss
Club Player

tony74 wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 8:10pm I can categorically state that money is not the issue with Richo’s tenure. That has been covered.
Do you know if the board members unanimous in their support of Richo?

stonecold
SS Life Member

tony74 wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 8:10pm I can categorically state that money is not the issue with Richo’s tenure. That has been covered.
As I have stated b4, it is the fact that it stays in the Coaching Salary Cap, thus our hands are tied with new assistants and recruiting a decent coach!....

We're stuffed!....

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

suss wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 8:15pm
No don’t know.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 8:19pm
No don’t know.
Do you know if there is unanimous support from the players?

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 8:34pm
tony74 wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 8:19pm
No don’t know.
Do you know if there is unanimous support from the players?
No coach has ever had 100% support from all players. I have been at the club a long long time. Let’s just say there’s more support with Richo than Scott. Ross certainly didn’t have them all either.

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

For those that are still believers (if there are actually any left), do yourself a favour and watch tonight’s episode of AFL360. Richardson’s performance was staggering....

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Kick-it-lace-out wrote: Mon 06 Aug 2018 9:28pm For those that are still believers (if there are actually any left), do yourself a favour and watch tonight’s episode of AFL360. Richardson’s performance was staggering....
What about giving us a summary.
Don't all have Foxtel!

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

- 7 minutes of football in the 3rd quarter cost us the game, and that we won the last quarter
- said that some players over-played, while others went into their shell
- Disputed that 3 assistants where told they would be let go.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re Geelong game: interesting that a guy with a 2 plus years of contract to go is so worried about a flogging rather than developing a system/players. Anyway, just watched AR on 360 and there were two things that sort of hit me - he is the David Brent of AFL, self deluded and dopey. And he is finished, whatever charmed run he has had is coming to an end. I don't think he will be around in 2019 as head coach, if at all. As Nixon wanted Peace (off) with honour a plan will be negotiated. Closing crystal ball now but would bet on it if there was a market.

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

Robbo also heard that Lethlean and Richo spoke on the phone while Richo was on his way home and asked him what they spoke about. Richo avoided the question and said something along the lines of “ we spoke about a whole range of things”.

It came across to me that he is well and truly blaming the players. Disappointed Robbo didn’t ask him about why he moved Ross to the HBF, or why he didn’t tag Johanson.

Robbo and Wheatley continue to let this fraud off the hook.