Shaw Slams Jake

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Shaw Slams Jake

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 2a47872d8b

SHAW’S STUNNING WHACK FOR CARLISLE

AFL great Tony Shaw didn’t miss St Kilda defender Jake Carlisle after the Saints’ loss to Essendon on Friday night.

Carlisle played 85 games for the Bombers before joining the Saints and was chatting to some of his former teammates following the final siren.

Shaw was less than impressed with the defender’s demeanour and didn’t hide his frustration on 3AW.

“I tell you what, Jake Carlisle and Tom Bellchambers, it looked like he probably just said, ‘I’ll meet you back at your place for a few beers after the game’,” Shaw said.

“They were talking for, I would think five minutes and hugging. I’m thinking, this isn’t what football is about.
Jake Carlisle had a tough night against the Bombers. Picture: Getty Images

“Your team has just been belittled, it’s been embarrassed and, I don’t know if it hurts enough.

“He’s a senior player at that club now. He has been a senior player for a long time. He’s had eight possessions for the game and had 10 minutes off in that last quarter, whether it was injury or not I don’t know but (he) did not touch the ball in that last quarter. That’s not good enough.

“I’d be filthy, one, on myself for not having an impact but two, for being involved in a group like that which is playing the poorest football you’d ever want to see.”

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Shaw Slams Jake

Yep. And some on here would have him as captain

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Not usually a fan of Shaw but couldn't agree more. Idea elsewhere that Carlisle is captain material make me shudder. Yes, he has terrific ball sense, great hands and hugely capable - but must be the laziest player going. Slow as treacle and if he's ever put in a second effort, I blinked and missed it. Then this demonstration of his complete lack of commitment to the club. But yes, he's possibly our best player. So depressing.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Moods wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 3:18pm Yep. And some on here would have him as captain
I'm putting my hand up as one of the ones plumping for him to be Captain. That says everything to me about where we're at. I find it hard to disagree with Shaw and the numbers don't lie. It's not like there wasn't enough ball coming in after the 20 min mark of the 2nd quarter for Jake to muster more than 8 possessions.

So - a ball butchering scarecrow with excellent training standards & preparation in Geary or a lazy-looking but hugely talented Carlisle?

Clearly, neither are able the change the course of a game when the tide turns against us so - I'm lost based on the above.

Maybe it's Seb Ross instead ...

Go you red, black & white warriors
asiu
Saintsational Legend

i still think he should be

give him the responsibility

we need him committed

he either steps up
or
embarrasses himself out the door

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I’m of the opinion that IF the side begin to play with a modicum of cohesion and organisation ( starting in the COACHING BOX) then some of the GOP’s Like Geary etc can be still a part of the side. The important thing is to have the side WELL COACHED!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle can only play as a loose defender. He cannot pick anyone up and be a proper centre half back. He is only effective when allowed to float around. IMHO he is overrated. I know most don't think that but I think what I think.

Sam Fisher was twice the player Carlisle is.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He should have been moved to the forward line as soon as Bruce fell over. Could have transformed our season.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

To be fair, Shaw thought racism was cool.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 4:12pm To be fair, Shaw thought racism was cool.
I don’t take one skerrick of notice of ANYTHING that comes out of that bloke’s mouth! :roll:

Moods
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 4:12pm To be fair, Shaw thought racism was cool.
20 years ago when most of us were still unenlightened.

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

This comes two weeks after he was pictured laughing with opposition players after a game. Our current position certainly doesn't seem to upset him too much but that may just be his personality type.

I do agree that at times he looks lazy but so do the rest of our team. Everyone talks about the last goal we conceded against Port last year but I was furious at the second last goal, where Jakes effort was second rate.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 4:33pm
I don’t take one skerrick of notice of ANYTHING that comes out of that bloke’s mouth! :roll:
And Shaw hasn't changed his opinion on racism one bit, he just complains more about not being able to voice it, i.e. being stopped by "political correctness". He's a loud mouth idiot.

On the substantive issue, I don't see any problem with former teammates or players in general having a chat after the game, as long as they concentrate on what they are supposed to be doing during game. Like many Saints players, Jake isn't fully fit - certainly to level of Richmond players and his counterpart Alex Rance.

saintbob
SS Life Member

+1

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Tony Shaw? The same Tony Shaw that most Collingwood supporters believe was not only their worst coach (30-58) but a poor judge of player ability? The racist? The dumbarse?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 4:42pm
And Shaw hasn't changed his opinion on racism one bit, he just complains more about not being able to voice it, i.e. being stopped by "political correctness". He's a loud mouth idiot.

On the substantive issue, I don't see any problem with former teammates or players in general having a chat after the game, as long as they concentrate on what they are supposed to be doing during game. Like many Saints players, Jake isn't fully fit - certainly to level of Richmond players and his counterpart Alex Rance.
Good post there mate! I’ve never had an issue with former teammates chatting after a game. Shaw is just showing what a dropkick he is

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 4:34pm
20 years ago when most of us were still unenlightened.
He still has a spike haircut and faints every time someone suggests that people take drugs.

He also thinks, by the sound of it, that professional footballers should hate each other's guts and put their work above their friendships. Like many of Shaw's ideals, it's outdated.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Shaw is an idiot, but players need to keep the matesy stuff pretty low key IMO… if they're great mates, then catch up later at the pub or whatever… the fans are hurting and don't need to see big smiles from our players after a smashing.

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

Yawn. Another ex footballer or coach saying something controversial. God some of these guys talk absolute s***. Its as if they have to stay relevant every now and then by creating a headline. Must be how they keep a job in the media. Get a real job...wait, they probably can't because half of them are just deadshits that could just play or coach footy very well.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saynta
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 5:43pm Yawn. Another ex footballer or coach saying something controversial. God some of these guys talk absolute s***. Its as if they have to stay relevant every now and then by creating a headline. Must be how they keep a job in the media. Get a real job...wait, they probably can't because half of them are just deadshits that could just play or coach footy very well.
Well, Shaw is not the sharpest tool to come out of the filth shed, is he?

parkeysainter
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 5:52pm
parkeysainter wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 5:43pm Yawn. Another ex footballer or coach saying something controversial. God some of these guys talk absolute s***. Its as if they have to stay relevant every now and then by creating a headline. Must be how they keep a job in the media. Get a real job...wait, they probably can't because half of them are just deadshits that could just play or coach footy very well.
He was not very kind to our aboriginal players in the early 90's.

Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud

In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and the St Kilda FC
saynta
Saintsational Legend

parkeysainter wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 6:10pm
saynta wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 5:52pm
He was not very kind to our aboriginal players in the early 90's.
Or even the collingwood ones either I hear

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Just a bit precious I reckon......

.....don't forget he did play for Essendon, most of those blokes are probably mates....remember when Goddard 1st played against St Kilda....he was almost in tears after the game....

....anyway.....Carslile probably reckons our coach has his head up his arse and has no idea how to coach a winning team.....so why should the players bother to bust a gut?........

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Toy Saint wrote: Mon 13 Aug 2018 7:24pm Just a bit precious I reckon......

.....don't forget he did play for Essendon, most of those blokes are probably mates....remember when Goddard 1st played against St Kilda....he was almost in tears after the game....

....anyway.....Carslile probably reckons our coach has his head up his arse and has no idea how to coach a winning team.....so why should the players bother to bust a gut?........
yeah and what a great attitude that is. we've all worked for d*ckheads. haven't got to be one yourself.

chico2001
Club Player

Carlisle's footy has dropped off last few weeks. I am getting pissed off at his dinky 15 m kicks which dont hit the target and the ball rebounds quickly. Nearly every kick he has is like that. He is not attacking the ball or the man hard enough either and his marking has dropped off. Definetly not our best player at the minute, probably getting sick of losing but deserves a bake anyway. I agree with shaw.