Our Younger Players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Our Younger Players

Here's a list of players who have played less than three full seasons of games (66 games).

B: Paton Austin Rice
HB: Coffield Goddard McKenzie
C: Clark Acres Phillips
HF: Long Battle Sinclair
F Lonie Marshall Minchington

R: Pierce Steele Gresham

Inter: McCartin Freeman White Clavarino

How many of these are we confident in, and what's missing? Only Clavarino has yet to lay a game.

Thoughts??

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our Younger Players

Riddled with fragile potential.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 1:42pm Here's a list of players who have played less than three full seasons of games (66 games).

How many of these are we confident in, and what's missing? Only Clavarino has yet to lay a game.

Thoughts??
Paton - looks pretty good. Composed enough and is showing something
Austin - Has gone OK. Moves quite well and knows how to find the footy
Rice - No good for mine. Too slow, too small, not a quick enough thinker.
Coffield - ? Jury still out. Looked really good pre-season, but there have been games this year where he's been completely out of his depth.
Goddard - Not overly impressed. Looks too slow, but still very early days in terms of games played. Been on the list a long time and injuries have meant zero impact.
McKenzie - Not overly impressed. Shortish player who's not overly speedy. Foot skills questionable
Clark - 1st year player. Has been up and down. I'm not as excited as some, but who knows? Too early to tell.
Acres - Continues to frustrate. Is he has good as we want him to be. He's played less than 66 games bc he's been in the reserves a lot. Is that his fault or poor selection? Not sure on him and reckon next year is almost make or break
Phillips - Has done ok when he's come in
Long - Looksto be building in a position that's very difficult to play in a poor team. Needs to keep backing himself. Looks like he will be a good player.
Battle - For mine he's shown a bit. Love his aggression. A tick for me
Sinclair - I like him, but he was woeful last night and that's the game that sticks in your head. Has been pretty good but eventually we have to burn one of these little fellas. Will be under pressure to hold his spot on the list unless he improves.
Lonie - Does anyone rate him? Until last night I certainly didn't. Then suddenly he finally showed what he can do. Still believe he must be under pressure. Appears too light and small.
Marshall - I like him. He will take awhile to develop but his skills are ok, and he looks like he will clunk a mark once confidence is up. Tick from me.
Minchington - Who? Hasn't been sighted all year. One of the small fwds who is surely in danger with Lonie.
Pierce - Looks like he's worth persevering with. Is aggressive, needs to build a tank and find the ball. I'm happier persevering with him and Marshall than Hickey and Longer tbh
Steele - I'm not as big a fan as some. His kicking is poor (no penetration) and his hands aren't elite. Needs to develop his overhead marking considering his size. Was good last night and has been pretty good 2nd half of the year, but he's coming off a bigger base than many on this list. We need the likes of him to be better over the whole year if we're to improve.
Gresham - Tick. Nothing more needs to be said.
McCartin - Like everyone, I hope he finally comes good. Too many years have ended in misery. To be honest, a huge disappointment so far. Not sure how long we can persevere with him. Surely 2 more years and that's it?
Freeman - The great unknown. A big pre-season and who knows? One more hamstring injury away from being shown the door though as well. Worth persevering with, if only because of potential upside imo
White - A disappointment
Clavarino - Who?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Not bad Moods, agree with a lot of it. IMO, Steele, Acres, Gresham, Coffield, Clark & Paton all to be well entrenched in our best 22 by the end of 2020. Battle, Marshall, Austin & Long to be very close. Next line would include White, McKenzie, Pierce, Clavarino, Freeman & Phillips.

Cannot really get excited about the rest.

A young bloke called Langlands seems to have what we need if developed correctly and that is pace & good disposal.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 1:42pm Here's a list of players who have played less than three full seasons of games (66 games).

Thoughts??
What is missing = not enough cream.

Individually you can go through many of our players and make a case that they could be/ or are best 22.

The problem is that we do not have enough of the top end talent that you need to be a top 4 club.

I think from what we already have we have ample to make up the required middling to GOP players.

From the team you have above only Gresham would I be certain will be a very good player. Several more I think may be, but are yet to really show it.

That is not to say that there is not talent there that could still bloom. ie Long, Sinclair. But yes we need more very good to elite talent. Just getting in more average players now will make little difference in terms of becoming a Top 4 side.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Interesting theory sRs and whilst I agree in part, after watching premier after premier & Saints wasted season after season...it is really the sum of the parts. Richmond are the perfect example, for the proceeding years to 2017, their list was not rated. Cotchin & Rance were bonafides, Martin showed his talent & Jack split opinion. They kept faith with their youngsters, brought in players a lot could take or leave, then "something" clicked. It is that something St Kilda has always missed out on.
We had more than enough cream in 97, 04, 09 & 10 but that something or bottom 6 we sadly lacked.
Perhaps this is set up for us to cement the base & let the cream rise with some quality draft picks, a FA or two plus an uncanny selection of "take or leave" players to fill gaps.
So much needs to go right, just ask the Bulldogs.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 3:52pm Interesting theory sRs and whilst I agree in part, after watching premier after premier & Saints wasted season after season...it is really the sum of the parts. Richmond are the perfect example, for the proceeding years to 2017, their list was not rated. Cotchin & Rance were bonafides, Martin showed his talent & Jack split opinion.
I never said that it was not the sum of the parts. Merely that we have the parts except for the top end.

I think the Tigers are supporting what I have indicated above:

Martin = Superstar and everyone was chasing him pre-flag
Rance = many have stated that he is the AFL's best and most influential defender for many years
Cotchin = Brownlow medalist
Riewoldt= Proven very good key forward.

Whereas the Saints only have:
Carlisle: arguably are only elite player
Steven. Very good, but not elite IMO

There has never been a premiership team that I can recall who did not have a good tier of very good to elite players. The Doggies with the golden run go close in their last success, but they still had some stars.

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 3:52pm They kept faith with their youngsters, brought in players a lot could take or leave, then "something" clicked. It is that something St Kilda has always missed out on.
We had more than enough cream in 97, 04, 09 & 10 but that something or bottom 6 we sadly lacked.

Perhaps this is set up for us to cement the base & let the cream rise with some quality draft picks, a FA or two plus an uncanny selection of "take or leave" players to fill gaps.
So by this last sentence are we not in violent agreement? That we just need some more cream than we currently have? (Caveat in that we need to improve our coaching and player development of what we already do have).

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 3:52pm So much needs to go right, just ask the Bulldogs.
Fully agree, as would Milne after that "bounce", or GT after the hordes ran onto the ground against Port stopping our run (and to play the injury ravaged spent Lions one week later).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saintly66
Club Player

Rice- one of the toughest we’ve got and great user...actually has speed doesn’t always use it for whatever reason
Coffield- well clearly the jury is out if it’s his first season
Goddard- played his first game in ages...what were people expecting a Brownlow medal performance?
Austin- likes floating around we know that much
Pierce- has played two games this season and people are creaming themselves...massive lol.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Saintly66 wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 5:28pm Rice- one of the toughest we’ve got and great user...actually has speed doesn’t always use it for whatever reason
Goddard- played his first game in ages...what were people expecting a Brownlow medal performance?
Pierce- has played two games this season and people are creaming themselves...massive lol.
Rice - just because you're slow and get caught with the ball alot because you can't get rid of it, doesn't make you tough.
Coffield - Plenty of 1st year players in terms of quality a call can be made on. Do you reckon the jury's still out on Stephenson at the pies? You can sometimes give a definitive yes. A definitive No is a bit harsh, is all I'm saying.
Goddard - been in the system for ages now. Hardly a teenager. We're entitled to see something a bit more than what we did I reckon.
Pierce - Not sure anyone's 'creaming' themselves. But certainly showing more than the other 2 x options this year. We have the worst rucks in the competition. We need to get a bit aroused over something....

Saintly66
Club Player

Moods wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 7:05pm
Saintly66 wrote: Sun 19 Aug 2018 5:28pm Rice- one of the toughest we’ve got and great user...actually has speed doesn’t always use it for whatever reason
Rice - just because you're slow and get caught with the ball alot because you can't get rid of it, doesn't make you tough.
Coffield - Plenty of 1st year players in terms of quality a call can be made on. Do you reckon the jury's still out on Stephenson at the pies? You can sometimes give a definitive yes. A definitive No is a bit harsh, is all I'm saying.
Goddard - been in the system for ages now. Hardly a teenager. We're entitled to see something a bit more than what we did I reckon.
Pierce - Not sure anyone's 'creaming' themselves. But certainly showing more than the other 2 x options this year. We have the worst rucks in the competition. We need to get a bit aroused over something....
I suggest you watch the game again and see Rice going back into a pack to punch the ball away, stuff like that makes you tough. You possibly need to come up something a bit better for him.
Goddard- you could be in the system for 10 years and miss the last 5 with injury doesn’t mean you’re going to come out and blitz it.
Not sure we’re “entitled” as such.
Happy to agree to disagree

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

There is a lot of potential there. Now it’s all about making sure they realise it.

derby Street
Club Player

Rice Not sold at all on him at this stage. Very average decision maker - nice kick.
Coffield has been disappointing - can you put it down to Saints development?
McKenzie ditto.
Austin - might end OK, especially if he can develop his defensive skills.

guitars4
Club Player

Easy for arm chair critics like myself to predict the demise or ascension of players on our list but agree with a lot of the original posters list .So many players that could be handy but haven't seen enough of them to make a call on their potential to make the grade. Gresham is a keeper to state the obvious Steele & Acres are going to be a very good IMO,although he hasn't been a world beater yet I like what Long brings, Lonie has clawed his way back from being gone to another year,I think Mc Kenzie Battle & Marshall have potential ,Dunstan really under the pump slow & we have too many inside mids with similar talent,havent seen enough of Goddard but looks very slow or Freeman disposal was pretty ordinary in the games he played but they are both young & have had very limited game time due to injury so can't really judge yet. Wright White & Minch gone,not sold on Phillips but same again only young limited game time,Coffeild hasn't been what I was hoping for not as quick or as talented as I originally thought but again still finding his feet but for a first round pick I expected more.Clarke similar to Coffeild but seems to have more X factor. Paddy probably the biggest disappointment for me was hoping for a stand out coming of age year but same ol same ol injured, poor conversion, slow, no second effort looks unfit would look to trade if we can get some one decent harsh I know but IMO he's not up to it. Newnes ,Sinclair & Weller all gone backwards consider trading but doubt there would be much interest (maybe Sinclair),Rice has a go not sure he has the ability to get to the next level, Haven't seen enough of Pierce, Logan ,Connellan or Joyce to comment.