Team v Roos

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v Roos

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 24 Aug 2018 6:26pm
Pretty obvious that there would only be one change

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 24 Aug 2018 11:12am I'm betting there will only be one change.

Carlisle in for Goddard with Hugh and the other three the emergencies.
Bump. :wink: :wink: :wink:

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Gilbo's pretty fortunate really. Love him, but the two kicks out on the full in quick succession nearly killed me and I though he was ripe for the chop. TBH, I would have given Hugh another run this season. One senior game in a row isn't much of a sample size.

Always loyal
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote: Fri 24 Aug 2018 6:48pm Gilbo's pretty fortunate really. Love him, but the two kicks out on the full in quick succession nearly killed me and I though he was ripe for the chop. TBH, I would have given Hugh another run this season. One senior game in a row isn't much of a sample size.
Goddard is a spud and has to be delisted.

Gilbo is playing a farewell game.

Pretty obvious

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Goddard should be playing.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 24 Aug 2018 7:30pm Goddard should be playing.
Why?

To gift a player who will never be AFL standard a match?

The pathetic softly softly Saints era is OVER!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

last time, Sideshow Bob got 6 against us.
He's on track for Coleman, because Hawkins won't catch him n Buddy's up against Dawks,
who will keep him to <5.
The only thing that'll stop him kicking a bag
is him dishing off to Jarrod Waite (final game)
Coach Scott was quoted as saying that.

I still think we can't do well 2 weeks in a row, so Norf will whack us by 50+ again

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Could this be Sam Gilbert's last game?

If it is then big respect and appreciation to him which is much deserved. He never shirked a contest and his body possibly paid the price in these last few years.

Could he be the type to announce his retirement post match?

A Saints clubman.

St Loxton
Club Player

For sure Cairnsman.
Has been a warrior for a long time.
Nice bloke too.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Fri 24 Aug 2018 7:32pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 24 Aug 2018 7:30pm Goddard should be playing.
Why?

To gift a player who will never be AFL standard a match?

The pathetic softly softly Saints era is OVER!!
Are you judging that off the 2 games he’s been able to play in the last 3 years?

Should have been given a decent run of it and played at least half a dozen games this year to show what he’s got. Pointless to continue giving games to Brown after our season was done.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Goddard was lucky to get one game this year.

Form did not warrant it at all.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 24 Aug 2018 11:20pm Goddard was lucky to get one game this year.

Form did not warrant it at all.
Well, he isn't Robinson Crusoe there.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Is it really necessary to call someone who’s played 2 games in 3 years (predominantly through serious injury) a spud? That’s pretty ordinary.

And if it is Gilbo’s farewell game (which I agree is likely) I’d be much happier if the club bothered to let him, and us, know.

Always loyal
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I think I read Gilbo wants to go around 1 more year. I don’t think the club share the sentiment however. Would be nice if they gave him a proper farewell rather than delist him in a couple weeks time.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
elizabethr
Club Player

Gilbo will be there next year as well 😁

nothing to say
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote: Sat 25 Aug 2018 12:11am Gilbo will be there next year as well 😁
You’ve mentioned this a few times and seem very delighted about it.

If true, my faith in the club is diminshing by the second as I simply don’t get it.

Fast - no
Good skills - no
Abundance of players that could play in defence - Brown, Carlisle, Austin, Webster, White, Roberton, Savage, Geary, Newnes, Coffield, D-Mac, Rice, Clavarino
Young and developing - no

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Newnes still in! Mav back in! Can only be justified if we're trying to maximise their trade value.

Sinclair very lucky.

Geary (concussion) and Nash Carlisle (he's a bebe) should have been rested, for Rico's boy White and Hughey. Why drop Hughey??? One game after a long time off. Sure, he was quiet, but did his opponent/s do much...?

If we're delisting Giblo or Armo' ', then they must have a good-bye and thank-you game on Sunday.

Minch' and Phillips and Connellan should have been given a run! (I"ll be pissed off if Minch' and/or Connellan are cut loose without us having even played them this year.)

And even more pissed off if we cut Freeman! That seems to be the vibe. Would be bloody stoooooopid after all the time we've put into him. He's a damn good player, and will-get-better.

At least they didn't mess with our ruck combo'.

And, interesting that Holmesy was back at the club today. Could that be linked to us planning to bring him back...? I hope so. Would mean we're not wasting $800K on Lyscett, that Billy is out the door, and that we reckon we can get something decent for Hickey.

Now Saints, cut out this Hannebury crap. He's 28, not the player that he was. Will cost us big $$$, five years, and gawd knows what in the way of draft picks - he's contracted for two more years. So please, to all the 'get Hannebury' Sainsationalists out there, please address these points. Ta.

And whilst I'm on a roll, please cut the Ratten crap too. Did nothing at Carlscum (and did have reasonable teams to work with), and is now being cut by the skid marks. Again, none of the 'get Ratten' people have addressed these points either.

And finally Saintas, multiple sources (including ITKs and past players) have been quoted claiming that Richo' isn't a great coach. And I've read nothing claiming that he is good. But the ultimate proof has been... on the field...

New Pres', hopefully means that Richo' is moved aside after Sunday evening.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: Sat 25 Aug 2018 3:58pm Mav back in! Can only be justified if we're trying to maximise their trade value.

Mav is an emergency.

Carlisle for Goddard is the only change.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: Sat 25 Aug 2018 3:58pm
And, interesting that Holmesy was back at the club today. Could that be linked to us planning to bring him back...? I hope so. Would mean we're not wasting $800K on Lyscett, that Billy is out the door, and that we reckon we can get something decent for Hickey.
He was with his brother and so I would be pretty sure that it was just a social call.

Holmes is not good enough at AFL Level. He never acquired the ability to read the game.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 25 Aug 2018 4:05pm
He was with his brother and so I would be pretty sure that it was just a social call.

Holmes is not good enough at AFL Level. He never acquired the ability to read the game.
Agree with your opinion this time. :D

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: Sat 25 Aug 2018 3:58pm Newnes still in! Mav back in! Can only be justified if we're trying to maximise their trade value.

Sinclair very lucky.

Geary (concussion) and Nash Carlisle (he's a bebe) should have been rested, for Rico's boy White and Hughey. Why drop Hughey??? One game after a long time off. Sure, he was quiet, but did his opponent/s do much...?

If we're delisting Giblo or Armo' ', then they must have a good-bye and thank-you game on Sunday.

Minch' and Phillips and Connellan should have been given a run! (I"ll be pissed off if Minch' and/or Connellan are cut loose without us having even played them this year.)

And even more pissed off if we cut Freeman! That seems to be the vibe. Would be bloody stoooooopid after all the time we've put into him. He's a damn good player, and will-get-better.

At least they didn't mess with our ruck combo'.

Now Saints, cut out this Hannebury crap. He's 28, not the player that he was. Will cost us big $$$, five years, and gawd knows what in the way of draft picks - he's contracted for two more years. So please, to all the 'get Hannebury' Sainsationalists out there, please address these points. Ta.

And whilst I'm on a roll, please cut the Ratten crap too. Did nothing at Carlscum (and did have reasonable teams to work with), and is now being cut by the skid marks. Again, none of the 'get Ratten' people have addressed these points either.

And finally Saintas, multiple sources (including ITKs and past players) have been quoted claiming that Richo' isn't a great coach. And I've read nothing claiming that he is good. But the ultimate proof has been... on the field...

New Pres', hopefully means that Richo' is moved aside after Sunday evening.
Agree with most but i reckon you’re in for a world of anger and disappointment

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

cant seethe harm in keeping gilbo around one more year. good experienced clubman, depth if needed. better to keep him than some youngsters that aren't up to it. especially if we do trade armo and weller. the latter we should, the former only if the price is right.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

saynta wrote: Sat 25 Aug 2018 4:08pm
saintsRrising wrote: Sat 25 Aug 2018 4:05pm

Agree with your opinion this time. :D
And I agree with both of you re 'reading the play'.

However, at least one doesn't need to be able to read the play to contest in the ruck. Holmesy is a much better tap ruckman than Billy. Not only does he actually win taps, but he actually directs them. Billy always taps blindly.

And one doesn't need to be able to read the play (much) to scrap for the ball on the ground after a ruck contest. Holmesy is also much better than Billy at that. (Can also hand ball and kick better than Billy. And if he managed to read the play, can actually take a pack grab.)

What I'm saying, is that I see Louey and the Marshall as our future ruck/resting forward combo'.
Holmesy would make a reasonable back up ruckman. Way better than one-man-short. And cheaper than Lysett, who IMHO can not be justified on a cost/talent gained basis.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The thing is...

If we’d pumped more games into Pierce we’d actually have a stronger sense of whether or not this kid could make it instead of our impression being: he looks promising.

If Pierce actually looks like he could be our number one, then you could lose one of Hickey/Longer, keep the other for back up and I agree, no need for Lycett.

As usual our conservative selections policy sees us making decisions with half the required information