Very Dark Clouds Are Gathering

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Very Dark Clouds Are Gathering

So you if Steven goes we get pick 5 as compo, right?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

St Loxton wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 11:49pm
To the top wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 9:50pm Explain to me that we could draw with GWS, best Melbourne and should have beaten Hawthorn

Did they all have off days against us?

Because they are all sides still in the hunt for the 2018 Premiership

Why can we compete such then fall away so badly over the greater majority of the season?

Good sides are consistent

That is why those 3 sides mentioned are still in the hunt

St Kilda evidenced no consistency whatsoever

Why not?

Injuries?

Too much reliance on too few?

Player confidence and commitment?

Any answers?
Injuries/retirements were a factor.

Koby Stevens at his best was in our best 22. Very handy.

Dylan Roberton. Our combo of 2 intercepting talls on HB is key. He is solid.

Jimmy Webster injured really affected our rebound. Was in top form.

Josh Bruce, i concede wasn't in great form this season, but is part of Richos structure. He can be very good if he sticks the hands.

Ben Long i think offers more than Lonie, Meatball and Weller. He could have turned a few heads this season with a good run at it.

Blake Acres was on the verge of taking that leap to the next level before he had a spell. Must keep this kid.

Not saying all or any of the above players would have got us into finals. But would have brought us closer to the opposition score.

The void left by Roo especially and Joey also was a factor.
The leadership slack was not taken a hold of, i believe we just don't have the leadership cattle. If Robbo had kept on his trajectory i would have him as captain. I don't see much else except maybe Ross or Steele.
Yes, but a "new and better coach" would have prevented all these injuries and retirements from happening. May the dark clouds build, and our consecrated procession of coaches continue - let's Richoice, Alanluyah! :wink:

spert
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Mon 10 Sep 2018 8:35am
St Loxton wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 11:49pm
To the top wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 9:50pm Explain to me that we could draw with GWS, best Melbourne and should have beaten Hawthorn

Why can we compete such then fall away so badly over the greater majority of the season?

Why not?

Injuries?

Any answers?
Injuries/retirements were a factor.

Koby Stevens at his best was in our best 22. Very handy.

Dylan Roberton. Our combo of 2 intercepting talls on HB is key. He is solid.

Jimmy Webster injured really affected our rebound. Was in top form.

Josh Bruce, i concede wasn't in great form this season, but is part of Richos structure. He can be very good if he sticks the hands.

Ben Long i think offers more than Lonie, Meatball and Weller. He could have turned a few heads this season with a good run at it.

Blake Acres was on the verge of taking that leap to the next level before he had a spell. Must keep this kid.

Not saying all or any of the above players would have got us into finals. But would have brought us closer to the opposition score.

The void left by Roo especially and Joey also was a factor.
The leadership slack was not taken a hold of, i believe we just don't have the leadership cattle. If Robbo had kept on his trajectory i would have him as captain. I don't see much else except maybe Ross or Steele.
Yes, but a "new and better coach" would have prevented all these injuries and retirements from happening. May the dark clouds build, and our consecrated procession of coaches continue - let's Richoice, Alanluyah! :wink:
There's a little bit more to coaching than just having a fit list..if ya know what I mean.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Everything all good with those clouds

Jane Bunn says it'll be fine and sunny tomorrow in Melbourne :)

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote: Mon 10 Sep 2018 7:02am
Jacks Back wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 10:58pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 10:50pm
chico2001 wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 11:36am
No.11 wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 9:53am
Teflon wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 11:06pm
No.11 wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 6:29pm There is still massive pressure on the coach. The money men ( and women )are not happy and are expressing their views to the board. Expect more to come. It certainly isn’t over.
I hope that is based of some good internal insight / knowledge
Matt F will be taking calls on Monday.
You dont have to be Enstein to work out the knowledge on this one surely. Are you saying the pressure is off the coach then? So therefore all is rosey now. So all of those who have some say in the future of a dud coach are happy with what is happening now, thats great news but....how would you know that?
How does that mean pressure off the coach?
I took that to mean opposite..
I took it that Finnis has to answer the questions (i.e. why the heck did he extend Richardson's contract).
Matt has been extremely quiet until now. All the media is either through Lethlean or Bassat.

Be interesting to hear his spin on it.

Surely if key benefactors are making a lot of noise the club has to listen??
I'm not sure Finnis has been quiet so much as borderline invisible since he returned from his channel-swimming sojourn (if ever there was ill timed leave!). I've not heard anyone other than Lethlean speak on footy matters since early July. It's almost as if he's become the defacto face of the club.

Whilst rightly acknowledging the work done to return us to Moorabbin - Finnis has presided over the nonsensical extension of The Dribbler; the hiring of Cricket Cox as Football Manager and 4 of the last 5 years list build as Ameet Bains' direct Manager - I'd be happy if he just pi$$ed off to the AFL now and let some football people run the club. He'd largely proven to have been a corporate bureaucrat with little feel for the football part of the football club.

Go you red, black & white warriors
older saint
SS Life Member

Why not?

Injuries?

Any answers?
GWS and Melbourne i really feel were games where the style changed dramatically. GWS caution was thrown to the wind int he last quarter - no more backward handball to retain possession, run , carry and attack . Exactly the same as the last qtr v GC, which then lead in tot he bye and the Melbourne Game where we stopped going backwards , until the last 5 minutes where the style changed again. Then tried to thread the needle v richmond, got smashed and went back to plan A which was crap all year.

Injuries hurt, but can argue didnt make the most of it by providing exposure to youth, especially in the last 1/4 of the season. I'll be shitty if i hear of guys going for off season surgery when they could have been shut down weeks earlier.

From afar there seems a lot of disillusionment within the group and while you dont want the inmates running the asylum something must be considered

chico2001
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 11 Sep 2018 1:26pm
saintspremiers wrote: Mon 10 Sep 2018 7:02am
Jacks Back wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 10:58pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 10:50pm
chico2001 wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 11:36am
No.11 wrote: Sun 09 Sep 2018 9:53am
Teflon wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 11:06pm
No.11 wrote: Sat 08 Sep 2018 6:29pm There is still massive pressure on the coach. The money men ( and women )are not happy and are expressing their views to the board. Expect more to come. It certainly isn’t over.
I hope that is based of some good internal insight / knowledge
Matt F will be taking calls on Monday.
You dont have to be Enstein to work out the knowledge on this one surely. Are you saying the pressure is off the coach then? So therefore all is rosey now. So all of those who have some say in the future of a dud coach are happy with what is happening now, thats great news but....how would you know that?
How does that mean pressure off the coach?
I took that to mean opposite..
I took it that Finnis has to answer the questions (i.e. why the heck did he extend Richardson's contract).
Matt has been extremely quiet until now. All the media is either through Lethlean or Bassat.

Be interesting to hear his spin on it.

Surely if key benefactors are making a lot of noise the club has to listen??
I'm not sure Finnis has been quiet so much as borderline invisible since he returned from his channel-swimming sojourn (if ever there was ill timed leave!). I've not heard anyone other than Lethlean speak on footy matters since early July. It's almost as if he's become the defacto face of the club.

Whilst rightly acknowledging the work done to return us to Moorabbin - Finnis has presided over the nonsensical extension of The Dribbler; the hiring of Cricket Cox as Football Manager and 4 of the last 5 years list build as Ameet Bains' direct Manager - I'd be happy if he just pi$$ed off to the AFL now and let some football people run the club. He'd largely proven to have been a corporate bureaucrat with little feel for the football part of the football club.
Be fair to say lethlean is the face of the club now, as a matter of fact he cant get the grin off his face. He has the keys to the piggy bank now. Hope he spends wisely

saint-stu
Club Player

Wouldn't it make sense that Lethlean would look after the football side and Finnis would look after the business side?

1ac46a38