The Conundrum of the Hannebery Trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CarlD
Club Player

Re: The Conundrum of the Hannebery Trade

Rumour mill now has the Swans looking at Gaff on the back of losing Hannebery etc.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/rumou ... fccf6a1431

degruch
Saintsational Legend

CarlD wrote: Thu 13 Sep 2018 1:43pm Rumour mill now has the Swans looking at Gaff on the back of losing Hannebery etc.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/rumou ... fccf6a1431
There goes the cap space theory then...so they're offloading him why?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

So are we happy to hand over our 1st rounda?

CarlD
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Thu 13 Sep 2018 2:23pm So are we happy to hand over our 1st rounda?
No way

Even Robbo on AFL360 the other night couldn’t understand why the Saints would be chasing Hannebery.

Every man and his dog has ventured their opinion that the Saints need more pace and skill. This potential trade just doesn’t fit the bill. And if we are assisting the Swans in building a war chest to possibly take a trade target away from the Saints then that is another reason to look elsewhere.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

CarlD wrote: Thu 13 Sep 2018 2:37pm
Cairnsman wrote: Thu 13 Sep 2018 2:23pm So are we happy to hand over our 1st rounda?
No way

Even Robbo on AFL360 the other night couldn’t understand why the Saints would be chasing Hannebery.

Every man and his dog has ventured their opinion that the Saints need more pace and skill. This potential trade just doesn’t fit the bill. And if we are assisting the Swans in building a war chest to possibly take a trade target away from the Saints then that is another reason to look elsewhere.
I believe its the experience and onfield leadership that's more the appeal...this is our Hodge trade...but I think it's misguided. Leaving the Swans stuck with him and blowing them out of the water on the Gaff deal would be incentive enough for me not to go through with it.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think it must be a part of a bigger picture in regards to rebuilding the midfield around Steven, Ross and probably Steele. Must be more players involved.

I still dont know why he even wants to come here....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 13 Sep 2018 1:28pm
bigcarl wrote: Thu 13 Sep 2018 12:53pm
Sainternist wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 9:40pm
BackFromUSA wrote: Wed 12 Sep 2018 9:38pm Would prefer McCartin for Hannebery straight swap. Both have body issues. McCartin younger and can develop with his brother for the post Franklin era. Hannebery proven champ if his body gets right but only 3 - 5 years left.
Interesting hypothetical. With McCartin's brother already at Sydney, it actually seems plausible.
Not the worst idea. One banged up, high risk player for another.

We can’t afford to pay overs for Hannebery. The Swans seem pretty keen to get him off their books, which says something to me.
The Swans wanting to get him off their books is actually pretty simple and not just about Hanner's body. In the next 3 years, they have to find cap space/money for: -

Florent
Hayward
Mills
Heaney
McCartin
Precisely. With the amount they have being paying the likes Franklin it has created quite a salary cap squeeze for them.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Thu 13 Sep 2018 2:56pm I think it must be a part of a bigger picture in regards to rebuilding the midfield around Steven, Ross and probably Steele. Must be more players involved.

I still dont know why he even wants to come here....
I think a big part of it is Hanners being close family friends with Sexfiend Simon.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Recruiting Hanners has nothing to do with a 3 or 5 year rebuild and everything to do with winning more games in 2019. Yes we will offer him a long tem contract to get him over the line - but its a 1 year strategy that involves winning more games in 2019 (8 - 12) and then hoping like hell the new coaching structure will have developed enough of the young talent so that in 2020 the likes of Acres, Billings, Gresh, DMac, Austin, Long, etc will have developed sufficiently to smooth over the decline of Hanners, Brown and other temporary fixes - and keep us in the 10-12 win range.

Lethers is smart enough to know the club wont survive if we have another year like 2018. I expect there will be a drop in membership revenue in 2019 as a result of 2018 performance. A large number of members will reluctantly renew for 2019, but another 4 win season in 2019 will see a mass exodus of members - and star players. That will put the club in a death spiral that it wont be able to get out of without AFL intervention.
So I fully expect to see more players with a short term life span targeted to try and help us win games in 2019.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Viking3
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Thu 13 Sep 2018 1:13pm
Viking3 wrote: Thu 13 Sep 2018 1:02pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 13 Sep 2018 9:57am People cry about our development of players and yet a fantastic trainer and on field leader like Hannerbry becomes available to us still piss and moan.
Well said Curly! Spot on with the piss and moan.
I don't read as much on here as I used to because of the pissing and moaning. :roll:
Don't see much Fidelius happening. :(
4 lines between the two of you....nothing constructive, nothing positive, yet you accuse others of "pissing and moaning" why are you wasting your time on here? You probably <edited by mods> your bed every night too ....<edited by mods>
Hey Chico,
If I was a <edited by mods>, I wouldn't be <edited by mods> whilst in my bed! :shock:
Go <edited by mods> yourself!!

<warning for abuse>

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote: Thu 13 Sep 2018 2:50pm
CarlD wrote: Thu 13 Sep 2018 2:37pm
No way

I believe its the experience and onfield leadership that's more the appeal...this is our Hodge trade...but I think it's misguided. Leaving the Swans stuck with him and blowing them out of the water on the Gaff deal would be incentive enough for me not to go through with it.
We should have them over a barrel then if they commit to Gaff in the FA period they will have to deal on our terms.
3rd rounder or possibly whatever we get for Lonie or Hickey.

Nee!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Sydney just cut 6th knee reco Alex Johnson - we should be all over this before other clubs swoop...

Seeya
Flagless
Club Player

Im absolutely aghast that they are even considering Hannebery. He's exactly what we dont need, slow, banged up body and poor by foot. No doubt he was a gun, but you dont recruit someone on what they once were, you recruit for what they will be in the future. This will turn into another saints recruiting disaster

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Like most I don't like this one bit but lets cool the jets for the time being. We only have speculation on the offer and the length so it may not be that long or that expensive. There are also rumours that swans will foot part of his salary to make us take him, but again these are rumours. I do hope however that there are performance clauses in his contract and termination clauses as well in case he cant get his body right. I don't have faith in our medicos after the Paddy (diabetic) and Freeman (Hamstring) decisions even if they say he is right to play.

It seems that he is on the way so we have no choice but to accept this and get behind him. Welcome Hanners

nw7
Club Player

I don't mind bringing him and I'm sure we wont use our first pick. I think the Swans need CAP space. Even though he was well below his best this year I believe having a proven player, AA & Premiership player on the list will help show our young guys the way to go about it. Our 22 yrs and under players are learning from Geary and Ross, the hard running and training by Hannebery will be a lot more influential than just his on field performance. I looking forward to the changes being made after such a demoralising year.

chico2001
Club Player

Terry Wallace on radio was absolutely scathing on the saints picking up Hannebery. he just could not get his head around it. He listed reasons as well, much as many of our posters have here.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

No 1st rounder will ever be involved. Only 2nd rounder as a minimum, maybe 3rd rounder.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
elizabethr
Club Player

Why would you bother?

nothing to say