Welcome Dan!!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Welcome Dan!!!!!

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 7:09pm
the club could return there and try to convert the locals to our 'religion'.
I can see the interview with Bassat (or even Lethlean!)
Whateley: "What's your position on Seaford?"
Bassat: "Missionary"

:lol:
So you think Bassat would admit that we are screwed?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

So we got him? Oh, Dan!

guitars4
Club Player

stonecold wrote: Thu 13 Sep 2018 11:53pm Like it or not, Dan is coming, so Welcome and all the best as a Saint!!!!!
I'll wait until he is officially a saint before I welcome him into the club & as much as I think it will happen lets hope we do our "due diligence " before we commit to a long term contract .

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 8:56pm
stonecold wrote: Thu 13 Sep 2018 11:53pm Like it or not, Dan is coming, so Welcome and all the best as a Saint!!!!!
I'll wait until he is officially a saint before I welcome him into the club & as much as I think it will happen lets hope we do our "due diligence " before we commit to a long term contract .
We won't

Nee!
silverhalo
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 1:45pm
Flagless wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 12:57pm
6621104 wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 9:29am Just what we need - an inside midfielder who kicks on the left, is decidedly one sided, no real pace .......... oh wait!!!
It will be a disaster, he couldnt run out of sight on a dark night
I completely agree but is sounds like he is coming so get used to it. Another broken player that will play the same role as a lot of others. Hopefully the deal falls over but if not welcome Hanners,
Terrible decision to recruit him, I am so angry about this! Another disastrous recruiting move in the making......I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel for this club

silverhalo
Club Player

Just for future reference, who do we hold accountable for this decision, is it the new recruitment guy?

St Loxton
Club Player

All you negative Nellie's should probably wait until he at least plays a season for us before you write off this appointment.
I know this has been a horrid season and we are all spitting chips at our staff.
But FFS slap yourselves with a wet fish.
No one here knows how this will turn out. OR what this will cost our club in $$$$ or picks.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

St Loxton wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 9:44pm All you negative Nellie's should probably wait until he at least plays a season for us before you write off this appointment.
I know this has been a horrid season and we are all spitting chips at our staff.
No one here knows how this will turn out. OR what this will cost our club in $$$$ or picks.
Correct. People will be pleasantly suprised at how well Dan turns out to be for the Saints. Recruitment won't stop with him also. Heaps of cap space left.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
SuperDuper
Club Player

silverhalo wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 9:22pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 1:45pm
Flagless wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 12:57pm
6621104 wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 9:29am Just what we need - an inside midfielder who kicks on the left, is decidedly one sided, no real pace .......... oh wait!!!
It will be a disaster, he couldnt run out of sight on a dark night
I completely agree but is sounds like he is coming so get used to it. Another broken player that will play the same role as a lot of others. Hopefully the deal falls over but if not welcome Hanners,
Terrible decision to recruit him, I am so angry about this! Another disastrous recruiting move in the making......I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel for this club
Surely it depends on what we pay? We have plenty of list spots and salary cap space so no issues there... What if we get him in a Jordan Lewis like trade? 3rd rounder or so? Dees payed hawks Pick 48 with 57 coming back, plus 66 with 68 coming back..

I would give Swans whatever pick we get for Hickey or Longer.. My guess in the 40s.
Cant see he is worth a future second given all circumstances and form over the past 2 seasons
Last edited by SuperDuper on Fri 14 Sep 2018 10:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

takeaway
Club Player

St Loxton wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 9:44pm All you negative Nellie's should probably wait until he at least plays a season for us before you write off this appointment.

That's right. But you just have to let the neggies have their say, and ignore it.
I bet if we pulled off a long shot and got Shiel they would say - he cost too much, if we don't get him, its what a hopeless club, nobody wants to come.
Some people lead sorry lives.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 9:56pm Correct. People will be pleasantly suprised at how well Dan turns out to be for the Saints.
Haha parkey has a new account, can't wait to be pleasantly surprised.

guitars4
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 10:04pm

That's right. But you just have to let the neggies have their say, and ignore it.
I bet if we pulled off a long shot and got Shiel they would say - he cost too much, if we don't get him, its what a hopeless club, nobody wants to come.
No I live a really good life & love every minute of it even though I'm a passionate St.Kilda fan . I'm not saying Hanneberry is a dud but not what we need IMO .The reality is the really good players we need are not banging down the door to come to our club & there is a valid reason for that .You can gloss it over any way you want but in the end we won't get any better if we keep recruiting slow inside mids & half back flankers. We have money to spend so lets at least use it on some player who can break lines & actually use the ball.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

It does depend on what we give up, of course.
But it feels like a mistake.
The people who are criticizing the negative nellies have to be honest about how they may well be post rationalizing decisions.....Sydney are after Gaff or Shiel....they are in the market for quality match winners....we are content to settle for discards and hope for a surprise.

Nee!
takeaway
Club Player

guitars4 wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 10:35pm

No I live a really good life & love every minute of it even though I'm a passionate St.Kilda fan . I'm not saying Hanneberry is a dud but not what we need IMO .The reality is the really good players we need are not banging down the door to come to our club & there is a valid reason for that .You can gloss it over any way you want but in the end we won't get any better if we keep recruiting slow inside mids & half back flankers. We have money to spend so lets at least use it on some player who can break lines & actually use the ball.
We are sorely lacking senior leadership/nous around the middle/on the ball, and if cleared by medicos, Hannebury was mainly recruited for that purpose, not for breaking lines. Will only take at most a 2nd round pick. Won't stop us chasing line breakers like Shiel and others. The Hannebury decision is early, so may help bringing in others.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 9:32am
dragit wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 9:27am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 8:23am Word is that we have offered a future 2nd Rounder for Dan!

I like it

But knowing our luck - next year will be a stronger draft than this one - isn't it always?
Pick 19.
LOL - no there will be some compensation picks that push it back.
Pick 36?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
derby Street
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 11:54pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 9:32am
dragit wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 9:27am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 8:23am Word is that we have offered a future 2nd Rounder for Dan!

I like it

But knowing our luck - next year will be a stronger draft than this one - isn't it always?
Pick 19.
LOL - no there will be some compensation picks that push it back.
Pick 36?
36 - How does that work out?

guitars4
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 11:09pm

We are sorely lacking senior leadership/nous around the middle/on the ball, and if cleared by medicos, Hannebury was mainly recruited for that purpose, not for breaking lines. Will only take at most a 2nd round pick. Won't stop us chasing line breakers like Shiel and others. The Hannebury decision is early, so may help bringing in others.
[/quote

Hey mate we are on the same page but see it from a different angle. I am 100% sure that when Dan Hanneberry pulls on a saints jumper he will give it everything he's got & his experience & knowledge will be fantastic but the flip side is the money we spend on Hanneberry will mean we have less to spend on what we really need. I watched Melbourne tonight & it gives me hope but we need to make some really good choices going forward & I really don't have any faith in the people in charge from the President to the boot studder.

guitars4
Club Player

guitars4 wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 12:00am
takeaway wrote: Fri 14 Sep 2018 11:09pm

[/quote

Hey mate we are on the same page but see it from a different angle. I am 100% sure that when Dan Hanneberry pulls on a saints jumper he will give it everything he's got & his experience & knowledge will be fantastic but the flip side is the money we spend on Hanneberry will mean we have less to spend on what we really need. I watched Melbourne tonight & it gives me hope but we need to make some really good choices going forward & I really don't have any faith in the people in charge from the President to the boot studder.
Dont know what happened but some how my reply has attached itself to your last post but I will try again sorry guy's
This is what I was going to say .We are on the same page but see it from a different angle. I am 100 % sure that when Dan Hanneberry pulls on a saints jumper he will give it everything hes got & his experience & knowledge will be invaluable but the flip side is the money we spend on Hannerberry will mean we have less to spend on what we really need.I watched Melbourne tonight & it gives me hope but we need to make some really good choices going forward but I really don't have any faith in the people in charge from the President to the boot studder ATM.

saintadamski
Club Player

Need Dan's leadership and experience so badly it hurts.

I actually think that this is a great move, as the previous recruitment morons got rid of our leaders which created a vacuum.

I think it's now time to try and trade or delist the likes of Newnes, Savage, Weller etc, to try and build a team with some semblance of talent.

Problem is Richo has a man crush on Newnes and his square jaw...no matter how shocking he is

chico2001
Club Player

If they wanted leadership well they are certainly paying for it, so by that reasoning we pay top dollar for someone to lead us...I dont know where this idea of being recruited just for his "leadership came from. That is f***ing bulls***. What happened to getting a very good player who can win the bull in the middle and deliver it accurately to our forwards. If you want a leader then bring back Goddard or someone like that on half the money. By my reckoning he would not have played with 50% of the current players and the other half are ready to be flicked so there is no residue left over for people to have a potshot at him for his finger pointing issues etc. So therefore the new players/recruits at the club would have a very good professional to provide leadership, he would probably still get a game with the saints actually.

This club has to have the balls to admit its mistakes regarding the leadership vacuum. Now we hear that the training professionalism was crap, faceless people running the club and the whole supporter base being led to believe that because we have recruited Ratten and Lade to assist our useless head coach we are going to rise up the ladder quickly.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

McCartin for Hanners. Straight swap

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Great acquisition, will teach our boys what consistency and backbone is all about. I'm also sure we're confident we'll get him fully fit and healthy. This could be a brave but inspired move by the Club.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 12:03pm McCartin for Hanners. Straight swap
No way a second rounder (perhaps future) will do it.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

chico2001 wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 10:56am If they wanted leadership well they are certainly paying for it, so by that reasoning we pay top dollar for someone to lead us...I dont know where this idea of being recruited just for his "leadership came from. That is f***ing bulls***. What happened to getting a very good player who can win the bull in the middle and deliver it accurately to our forwards. If you want a leader then bring back Goddard or someone like that on half the money. By my reckoning he would not have played with 50% of the current players and the other half are ready to be flicked so there is no residue left over for people to have a potshot at him for his finger pointing issues etc. So therefore the new players/recruits at the club would have a very good professional to provide leadership, he would probably still get a game with the saints actually.

This club has to have the balls to admit its mistakes regarding the leadership vacuum. Now we hear that the training professionalism was crap, faceless people running the club and the whole supporter base being led to believe that because we have recruited Ratten and Lade to assist our useless head coach we are going to rise up the ladder quickly.
Did you watch Hannebery in the Final last week? He isn't 100%, had bugger all of a preseason and was playing in a team been smashed. Yet he was impressive, in everything, he's a midfield general, something we haven't had since Lenny Hayes.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 15 Sep 2018 3:36pm Great acquisition, will teach our boys what consistency and backbone is all about. I'm also sure we're confident we'll get him fully fit and healthy. This could be a brave but inspired move by the Club.
I just hope you're right.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.