Ray Connellan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BenLong#21
Club Player

Ray Connellan

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ray Connellan

I don't understand son of the delistings - but I have to trust the process - surely Ray as a Category B rookie has little to no impact on the numbers on our list - we do not NEED to delist him as far as I know.

If this is a delisting with reason - then more power to the new board/panel - if it is a delisting to prove that we are doing stuff - I am worried.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
BenLong#21
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 16 Sep 2018 11:06am I don't understand son of the delistings - but I have to trust the process - surely Ray as a Category B rookie has little to no impact on the numbers on our list - we do not NEED to delist him as far as I know.

If this is a delisting with reason - then more power to the new board/panel - if it is a delisting to prove that we are doing stuff - I am worried.

In your time as a Saints fan, how has trusting the process worked so far?

chico2001
Club Player

Not sure why he was delisted but they must have given him a reason. I never saw him play but I believe that generally he went ok without setting the world on fire.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

BenLong#21 wrote: Sun 16 Sep 2018 11:44am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 16 Sep 2018 11:06am I don't understand son of the delistings - but I have to trust the process - surely Ray as a Category B rookie has little to no impact on the numbers on our list - we do not NEED to delist him as far as I know.

In your time as a Saints fan, how has trusting the process worked so far?
Hello Mr #21

Not vey well - but I have little to no hair - and cannot afford to pull anymore out!
"Since I gave up hope - I feel a lot better"

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Sun 16 Sep 2018 11:55am Not sure why he was delisted but they must have given him a reason. I never saw him play but I believe that generally he went ok without setting the world on fire.
We have some players who actively dampen the fires of the world.

You know how some people you talk to make you actively feel dumber - it is kind of like that when you wastch St Kilda play sometimes!

And I have intentionally spelled the word WATSCH - it is what I do when I view some of the St Kilda games this year:
Waste (my time) - Watching the football

WASTCH!

― Aristophanes

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Lack of defensive pressure is the reason!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote: Sun 16 Sep 2018 1:06pm Lack of defensive pressure is the reason!
Correct.

Still looked to me like he had something worth persevering with.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 16 Sep 2018 1:08pm
Bernard Shakey wrote: Sun 16 Sep 2018 1:06pm Lack of defensive pressure is the reason!
Correct.

Lucky for Newnesy that the coaches used other metrics when judging his games

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/05/07/ ... -the-year/

Another example of the double standards and hypocrisy of Richo is the fact that he started saying in the back end of the year that he wouldn't gift games to young players and that they'd have to earn them. How did Hunter and Nick earn their games in the early rounds of the year? Were they best on ground in the VFL? Obviously no, so once again Richo talking poo

Same with Ben Long and his return to the side after a long lay off through injury. Yes, Longy has the tricks to make it but I don't think he 'earnt' his recall through outstanding form

BenLong#21
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 16 Sep 2018 2:01pm
Correct.

Jack Newnes, who has played every match for the Saints this season, is at the core of the number that paints a negative picture about his defensive actions.

“Would it surprise you to hear that a player who plays back in Jack Newnes has had four tackles for the season,” Sam Edmund told SEN Breakfast
Another example of the double standards and hypocrisy of Richo is the fact that he started saying in the back end of the year that he wouldn't gift games to young players and that they'd have to earn them. How did Hunter and Nick earn their games in the early rounds of the year? Were they best on ground in the VFL? Obviously no, so once again Richo talking poo

Same with Ben Long and his return to the side after a long lay off through injury. Yes, Longy has the tricks to make it but I don't think he 'earnt' his recall through outstanding form
Spot on. The Cho has zero integrity.
They talk tough on 'defensive pressure' on an Irish lad a long way from home trying to learn the game and with little in the way of support.

But when it comes to their inner sanctum mates like Newnesy - it is a whole different story. Gift him games week in week out and a nice safe secure contract at $500k a year. Zero accountability.

Absolutely piss weak.

The fact that Cho, Sexton, Newnes, Geary, Paddy & Cox continue to waltz around as club leaders on nice long safe contracts epitomizes the entrenched mediocrity that defines this club.

Seriously - how about we apply the same standards of 'defensive pressure' to Paddy???
He is an absolute witch's hat and if he falls over (which is often) it takes him 5 minutes to get back up again. The opposite of a cat.

realdeal
Club Player

Correct.

Absolutely amazing at training, their warm ups are also very intense and high in pressure acts.

You should watch Newnes and Mav run through the banner.... wow..

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BenLong#21 wrote: Sun 16 Sep 2018 2:54pm
Correct.

Jack Newnes, who has played every match for the Saints this season, is at the core of the number that paints a negative picture about his defensive actions.

“Would it surprise you to hear that a player who plays back in Jack Newnes has had four tackles for the season,” Sam Edmund told SEN Breakfast

Spot on. The Cho has zero integrity.
They talk tough on 'defensive pressure' on an Irish lad a long way from home trying to learn the game and with little in the way of support.

But when it comes to their inner sanctum mates like Newnesy - it is a whole different story. Gift him games week in week out and a nice safe secure contract at $500k a year. Zero accountability.

Absolutely piss weak.

The fact that Cho, Sexton, Newnes, Geary, Paddy & Cox continue to waltz around as club leaders on nice long safe contracts epitomizes the entrenched mediocrity that defines this club.

Seriously - how about we apply the same standards of 'defensive pressure' to Paddy???
He is an absolute witch's hat and if he falls over (which is often) it takes him 5 minutes to get back up again. The opposite of a cat.
And have you heard the coach only has winning percentage of 33%

BenLong#21
Club Player

realdeal wrote: Sun 16 Sep 2018 3:02pm
Absolutely amazing at training, their warm ups are also very intense and high in pressure acts.

You should watch Newnes and Mav run through the banner.... wow..
Where is Loris :D

What about Mav's 'perceived pressure acts'?
For instance his 'lunges', his 'intense looks' and his 'almost tackle/arm stretches'. These are the stats and 1%ers that dont get recorded or noticed by the fans but which the ITKs and coaching staff really appreciate and rate highly internally.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Correct.

Agreed. And the thing is... this type of philosophy is good in principle, being rigid with it makes it a flawed concept. If a guy like Connellan was given a game or two post decent form at Sandy ahead of a Mav Weller in 2017 when he was playing really bad... that could be the type of thing that might make you train harder.
An instance like kicking a big goal in a tight game and having the crowd cheer for the first gamer... that’s the type of thing that might make you go ‘I’ll like this, thiis is def where I want to be’.

It’s one of the big reasons why I hate persevering with underperformers and would prefer to bring youngsters more often for a game or two even if they fail more often then not. IMO knowing you’ll get a shot and that you can screw up and not be written off forever is vital to positive culture.

BenLong#21
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 16 Sep 2018 3:50pm
Correct.

Agreed. And the thing is... this type of philosophy is good in principle, being rigid with it makes it a flawed concept. If a guy like Connellan was given a game or two post decent form at Sandy ahead of a Mav Weller in 2017 when he was playing really bad... that could be the type of thing that might make you train harder.
An instance like kicking a big goal in a tight game and having the crowd cheer for the first gamer... that’s the type of thing that might make you go ‘I’ll like this, thiis is def where I want to be’.

It’s one of the big reasons why I hate persevering with underperformers and would prefer to bring youngsters more often for a game or two even if they fail more often then not. IMO knowing you’ll get a shot and that you can screw up and not be written off forever is vital to positive culture.
In 2017 the Cho thought he was top 4 bound and was looking to get continuity, cohesion and 'settle' his best side for a run at finals.

Arghhh. The Cho.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 16 Sep 2018 3:50pm It’s one of the big reasons why I hate persevering with underperformers and would prefer to bring youngsters more often for a game or two even if they fail more often then not. IMO knowing you’ll get a shot and that you can screw up and not be written off forever is vital to positive culture.
While Pearce may be no good in the end at least he didn't look as bad as our other rucks have when he played those two games. And, yes, while it was only two games at least we had a look at him in the seniors and Pearce acquitted himself well.

Imagine if our other rucks didn't get injured and we didn't play Pearce.

Connellan didn't even get a chance despite poor games from others.

This selection committee should drop themselves.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 16 Sep 2018 11:28pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 16 Sep 2018 3:50pm It’s one of the big reasons why I hate persevering with underperformers and would prefer to bring youngsters more often for a game or two even if they fail more often then not. IMO knowing you’ll get a shot and that you can screw up and not be written off forever is vital to positive culture.
While Pearce may be no good in the end at least he didn't look as bad as our other rucks have when he played those two games. And, yes, while it was only two games at least we had a look at him in the seniors and Pearce acquitted himself well.

Imagine if our other rucks didn't get injured and we didn't play Pearce.

Connellan didn't even get a chance despite poor games from others.

This selection committee should drop themselves.
Agree 110%.

At a particular point, you need experience in the seniors to get better. The majority of AFL players don’t suddenly come into an AFL team and never look back

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Amaze me bagging Richo for not culling players then people bag him for culling players

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 12:20am Amaze me bagging Richo for not culling players then people bag him for culling players
Well I’d rather the process not appear random and inexplicable

saintadamski
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 12:20am Amaze me bagging Richo for not culling players then people bag him for culling players
Sorry what players is he actually culling, that you see is making such a huge change?!?!?
players in the VFL!!! and a rookie

What about delisting the players that are responsible for us being incredibly bad like Newnes, Armo, Weller, Savage and co??

saint-stu
Club Player

I watched Sandy a bit and I thought Ray had more potential that Darragh. Ray's speed is a serious weapon. He could run around defenders. He was also starting to kick a few goals by the end of the year. Surely defensive pressure is just a mindset thing and the coaches should have done their job and coached him?

1ac46a38
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 7:56am I watched Sandy a bit and I thought Ray had more potential that Darragh. Ray's speed is a serious weapon. He could run around defenders. He was also starting to kick a few goals by the end of the year. Surely defensive pressure is just a mindset thing and the coaches should have done their job and coached him?
If he is any good he will get picked up by another club and developed. One thing for sure is that the modern St Kilda FC have a 0% sucess rate in player development. I feel sorry for these marginal kids that come to our club.

chico2001
Club Player

Who have they culled? As a previous poster said, a few players from the reserves, a rookie and a bloke they kept on for 5 years and who payed 2 games. They culled 3 assistant coaches who were no good apparently. The real culling will come within the next 2 months.

A dictionary definition of culled------ something especially picked out and put aside as inferior

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 9:13am
Who have they culled? As a previous poster said, a few players from the reserves, a rookie and a bloke they kept on for 5 years and who payed 2 games. They culled 3 assistant coaches who were no good apparently. The real culling will come within the next 2 months.

A dictionary definition of culled------ something especially picked out and put aside as inferior
Exactly my point, but yet people in this thread are complaining they have done that

chico2001
Club Player

In their defence, you have to say that a 10 year old could have done that. Nothing special about it at all. The concern is using Connellan and Freeman as an example that there are unskilled players in the current senior line up that should have gone by now and the afore mentioned players should have been at least given a chance to show their wares...i.e 3-4 games. no biggie....It is done now.