Draft: Rankine v Rozee v Smith v King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Draft: Rankine v Rozee v Smith

Poll ended at Tue 16 Oct 2018 4:40pm

Rankine
52%
Rozee
2%
Smith
36%
King
9%

Total votes: 44

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Re: Draft: Rankine v Rozee v Smith v King

Walsh likely to go 1 & if extraordinarily he gets past 1 then he will go 2. Forget about him.

All the rage is Gold Coast picking child hood friends Lukosious & Rozee. Lukosious a perfect fit to play alongside Wright. Rozee a slight reach however still a talent & will help retain Lukosious north.

Rankine & M King both equally talented. Plenty of natural talent. Do you choose Rioli or Buddy? Rankine has concerns about being a flight risk & King injury concerns.

Smith is not of the talent of the before mentioned 4. He’s played most of his rep footy as a small backman but successfully transitioned to the midfield this year.

Gut feel is we take M King & look to trade out 2-3 talls, which incl 1 ruckman.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Interesting MG, especially the Lukosious / Rozee connection. From what I read about Smith and the bits I watched in the carnival, he appears to have the attributes we require in the midfield;
Can get his own ball
Has speed & size (6'1")
Good inside & outside
Makes good decisions
Brings others in to the game
Takes the game on
Kicks goals
Runs both ways & tackles
A local, favourite player is Breust, has chatted and kicked with Mitchell, two very handy players to base a career on. The way players move at will these days regardless of how long they have been in the system is a worry, so local seems a better bet.
If we can find our way into the 2nd and 3rd rounds we may snag a slider or two. We have 6 spots to fill at the moment, I expect that to grow by 2 to 4.
Pick 4 (daylight) to Picks 58, 62, 64, 76 so recruiting need to A) be creative B) plan / target a group of players
A little like Battle & Clavarino who played and went to school together...bonds created early are hard to break plus they drive one another to achieve and succeed.

guitars4
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Wed 19 Sep 2018 12:03am
guitars4 wrote: Tue 18 Sep 2018 10:47pm
guitars4 wrote: Mon 17 Sep 2018 8:35pm Unfortunately living in Perth I don't get to see much of the players only the high lights reel & what I read so really can't make an informed opinion . What do you people in the know think of the King boys obviously from Victoria so no worry of home sickness & is one better than the other or should we go for a crow eater & Is there any chance Walsh will slide to number 4 ? I would really appreciate your feedback :D
Haven't had any feedback from anyone so is it a dumb request or is it just too difficult ?I was hoping for some love for the King boys but nothing from anyone :?
I’ll look into it and get back to you
Thanks mate :wink:

guitars4
Club Player

Myron Gaines wrote: Wed 19 Sep 2018 8:09am Walsh likely to go 1 & if extraordinarily he gets past 1 then he will go 2. Forget about him.

All the rage is Gold Coast picking child hood friends Lukosious & Rozee. Lukosious a perfect fit to play alongside Wright. Rozee a slight reach however still a talent & will help retain Lukosious north.

Rankine & M King both equally talented. Plenty of natural talent. Do you choose Rioli or Buddy? Rankine has concerns about being a flight risk & King injury concerns.

Smith is not of the talent of the before mentioned 4. He’s played most of his rep footy as a small backman but successfully transitioned to the midfield this year.

Gut feel is we take M King & look to trade out 2-3 talls, which incl 1 ruckman.
Thanks for the report I appreciate your your feedback :wink:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 19 Sep 2018 2:24am Here’s Knightmares right up for Max King (if you don’t know KM, he pbly the most knowledgeable forumite around drafting and I think covers the draft for ESPN)

5. Max King (VIC)
Weaknesses:
Endurance
Work rate
Rarely pushes up outside the forward 50m arc
Conversion in front of goal
:shock:

Key forward with poor endurance, a poor work rate and bad goal kicking?

yeah nah.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

dragit wrote: Wed 19 Sep 2018 12:41pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 19 Sep 2018 2:24am Here’s Knightmares right up for Max King (if you don’t know KM, he pbly the most knowledgeable forumite around drafting and I think covers the draft for ESPN)

5. Max King (VIC)
Weaknesses:
Endurance
Work rate
:shock:

Key forward with poor endurance, a poor work rate and bad goal kicking?

yeah nah.
I prefer others as well. Broken record here but we need a mid first and for most which King will never become. Assuming we get pick 4 we can rule out Walsh and Lukosious. PIck 3 becomes a guessing game especially if may leaves. That will mean they are down a forward and a back which mean that the King Brothers come into play (one of them anyway). Or do they get Rankine who can actually kick goals or Rozee to help Lukosious stay.

Me personally I would get either Smith or Rankine as both have plenty of upside but woudl prefer Rankine.

Smith
Weaknesses:
Impact forward of centre
Contested marking

Smith Has played slightly injured this year with an achilles complaint and has still managed to stand out. My only real concern is he plays in the back half not the front half and we have enough guys doing that already. Small concern to be fair

Rankine
Weaknesses:
Height
Can get caught with the ball when he tries to do too much
Good but sometimes inconsistent production
Endurance

he is small and tries to do too much at times but has already played at SA state level. Ready to go from the first day and can play in the midfield although this will not occur until he works on his tank.
But he can score goals and that is why I prefer him. We need someone who can apply scoreboard pressure and he reads like a potential goal sneak super star. one touch pick ups, acceleration and goal sense

guitars4
Club Player

5. Max King (VIC)
Best position: Key forward/ruckman
Height, weight: 202cm, 85kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: 2-10
Plays like: Joe Daniher
Rationale: Out for the season with a torn ACL. As difficult to defend inside 50m as any junior key forward in recent years.
August Ranking: 5
Strengths:
Height
Long arms
Takes front position in marking contests
Body positioning in the contest
Draws free kicks inside 50m
Jumps towards the ball when taking marks
Contested marking
One-on-one marking
Marks at the highest point
Clean at ground level
Leap
Mobility
Leading patterns
Weaknesses:
Endurance
Work rate
Thanks for the feed back not what I was hoping to hear about Ben King & sound like Walsh is not even a possibility so maybe Smith might be our best bet unless we look at the SA boys :? Pretty tough to get it right I hope the recruiting staff are all over it :)

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

To be honest, I’m not as bullish on Paddy as some...

If we traded Paddy and drafted King, I reckon we would get further forward

guitars4
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Wed 19 Sep 2018 9:58pm To be honest, I’m not as bullish on Paddy as some...

So if you had a choice on who we realistically have a chance of getting who would you choose? If you don't want to say I have no problem with that as I know what happens on saintsational. :wink:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Wed 19 Sep 2018 10:29pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 19 Sep 2018 9:58pm To be honest, I’m not as bullish on Paddy as some...

So if you had a choice on who we realistically have a chance of getting who would you choose? If you don't want to say I have no problem with that as I know what happens on saintsational. :wink:
Like most here I tend to overvalue Saints talent and undervalue the rest.

If we could get a first round pick for him, I’d snap it up in a second but I think ppl would laugh at the suggestion. I was kind of hoping we could package Paddy and Longer to the Cats for something worthwhile. Don’t get me wrong, I like kid... but I don’t have a lot of faith in his durability. To me that’s my only concern... and unfortunately it’s a critical one.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

So was posting with Knightmare...

He reckons it’s likely that we’ll end up with Rankine. Either him or Smith, though he ranks Smith higher

evo
Club Player

Can't see us having a pick in the top 10 if we are not in a rebuild according to richo and we are going to be aggressive in the upcoming trade period.

guitars4
Club Player

evo wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 2:35am Can't see us having a pick in the top 10 if we are not in a rebuild according to richo and we are going to be aggressive in the upcoming trade period.
Possibly I can't see us picking up a Gaff or Shiel type player without giving away our first rounder. Interesting to see how it unfolds .

Crossy66
Club Player

Just need mids, so beyond that, i dont care too much. I care about how they are developed and the environment they walk into.