Who is Dean Kent?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Re: Who is Dean Kent?

Whiskey wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 4:54pm
st.byron wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 2:53pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 12:28pm Man... everytime I get a sense of the club’s direction, it’s just disappointment valley.

Three year deal to an injury prone fringe player that plays in a position that we have an abundance of similar types

It’s like watching the club lead itself down the gurgler
Agree with some of this but he will play as an outside mid from all accounts which we desperately need . He is cheap and was good before a bad run.of injuries. He doesn't seem to be needed by Melbourne so they may let him go for next tI nothing if anything

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Demons wanted him fit for their finals campaign and still wanted him. Saints just offered him a longer deal and fresh start.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 3:26pm Posters make me laugh, way too many 'Negative Nelly's' on here these days!!!!!

Every player we get linked to, on come the usual suspects and pick the s*** outta the club, before they even know what the deal is!!!!!

Any wonder we are so unsuccessful, way too many Negative so called supporters!!!!!

Any wonder Parky left!!!!!

Many on here need to have a look within!!!!!

Each to their own I guess!!!!!
Don’t care what the deal is. He’s another mediocre fringe player.....just what we need...not

stonecold
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 5:15pm
stonecold wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 3:26pm Posters make me laugh, way too many 'Negative Nelly's' on here these days!!!!!

Every player we get linked to, on come the usual suspects and pick the s*** outta the club, before they even know what the deal is!!!!!

Any wonder we are so unsuccessful, way too many Negative so called supporters!!!!!

Don’t care what the deal is. He’s another mediocre fringe player.....just what we need...not
Your Opinion, many on here said the same about the likes of Robertson etc as well, some players take time and a second opportunity, that's all I'm saying!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Don’t care if he’s cheap if he’s just a fringe player like a few we just let go. Why the **** get him?

A bit of optimism about him on this thread...okay...but a highlights package doesn’t make a player. Doubt he’ll run through the middle unless he transforms into a mid in the pre-season. Has never averaged more than 16 disposals a season. A goal a game - #underwhelming much.
Gotta love mediocrity.....hope I’m wrong
Last edited by st.byron on Wed 26 Sep 2018 5:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Add Membrey and Bruce.
Kent is actually a very smart and low cost move by the club that could reap decent dividends. Astute recruitment work.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 5:24pm Add Membrey and Bruce.
Kent is actually a very smart and low cost move by the club that could reap decent dividends. Astute recruitment work.
On what evidence?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 5:26pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 5:24pm Add Membrey and Bruce.
On what evidence?
Gaining a 24 year old ready made player that has skillsets the club really needs for virtually nothing and little salary cap space.

Total = 1.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 5:22pm Don’t care if he’s cheap if he’s just a fringe player like a few we just let go. Why the **** get him?

A bit of optimism about him on this thread...okay...but a highlights package doesn’t make a player. Doubt he’ll run through the middle unless he transforms into a mid in the pre-season. Has never averaged more than 16 disposals a season. A goal a game - #underwhelming much.
Fair point but he isn't like the ones we just delisted, he is quick. But to be fair I never heard of him before today so I can't rate him and I agree that highlight packages are misleading. And Just because he is a fringe player at Melbourne due to their team doesn't mean he will be a fringe player for us. I remember Jack Steele was in and out of GWS's team. glad we took the chance there

Vazelos
Club Player

Dean Kent has speed and is an aggressive type player... his last 2 seasons have been derailed by injuries... he will play more time in the mid field and spend time in the forward line...
He gives us an extra gear in the mid field where we have so many one paced mid fielders...
We will get him for very little...
Of course here is an element of risk but overall it probably will help our list with a player type we need and he has upside if his body is healthy..
Not every deal can be a mega star...
Not every deal has to be a 1 st round pick..
If it improves the list in quality and balance then it should be applauded.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Stonecold? Criticizing others for being negative? Hmmmm....who was that poster who was slagging off Tom Hickey for months? I can't recall. :lol:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 5:39pm Dean Kent has speed and is an aggressive type player... his last 2 seasons have been derailed by injuries... he will play more time in the mid field and spend time in the forward line...
He gives us an extra gear in the mid field where we have so many one paced mid fielders...
Of course here is an element of risk but overall it probably will help our list with a player type we need and he has upside if his body is healthy..
I understand all that BUT it is the three years I do not understand.

He is the type of player that is worth trying as long as it is fora draft pick that is worthless, BUT not at the price of a 3 year contract.

We will know at his age in Year One if he is worth retaining or not. And if not he then vlockinga spot for another two whole years.

Two year deal should be the absolute maximum for player with his record (both playing and injury-wise).

Probably one with a trigger clause for another one should have been enough.

PS: At least it shows the club is thinking about pace in our midfield. But picking him up must mean we are out of the race for any decent midfield players with pace. So not Gaff, Hall etc for us.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stonecold
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 6:04pm Stonecold? Criticizing others for being negative? Hmmmm....who was that poster who was slagging off Tom Hickey for months? I can't recall. :lol:
You need to read more thoroughly!!!!!

Also, was having an opinion, so stop picking fights!!!!!

Do your research, then you won't look so foolish!!!!! Maybe!!!!!! ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Vazelos wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 5:39pm Dean Kent has speed and is an aggressive type player... his last 2 seasons have been derailed by injuries... he will play more time in the mid field and spend time in the forward line...
+1

freely
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 3:00pm Very strange. Don't recall the name or remember seeing him play but that is one of the best highlights reel I have every seen

Quick, excellent kick , knows where the goals are and tough.

I am prepared to give him a go if his physical is up to scratch.
where is the highlight reel? (apologies if it's staring me in the face somewhere!)

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 6:14pm

He is the type of player that is worth trying as long as it is fora draft pick that is worthless, BUT not at the price of a 3 year contract.

We will know at his age in Year One if he is worth retaining or not. And if not he then vlockinga spot for another two whole years.

Two year deal should be the absolute maximum for player with his record (both playing and injury-wise).

PS: At least it shows the club is thinking about pace in our midfield. But picking him up must mean we are out of the race for any decent midfield players with pace. So not Gaff, Hall etc for us.
The three years is because we have to offer something extra to get him to move. He's not going to leave for the same deal he is offered from demons.
Given our position at the moment, no-one is coming unless we pay overs.

Could be a very handy pickup, but only time will tell.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Well that is 2 players so far that want to come-

Looks alright to me. Melbourne team pretty hard to break into.
Looks quick and strong and knows how to crumb.
Would free Billings to a wing.

Shiel and Setterfield for Pick 3 anyone?

Nee!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 5:19pm

Your Opinion, many on here said the same about the likes of Robertson etc as well, some players take time and a second opportunity, that's all I'm saying!!!!!
Well said mate. I was initially dissappointed to read about another injury prone player coming to the saints but he certainly has an exceptional highlights reel.

Needs to be given a chance.

The negative nellies on here give me the s***s quite frankly.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 5:19pm

You could be right. Hope you are. Just dont want more list cloggers....

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 5:32pm
st.byron wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 5:22pm Don’t care if he’s cheap if he’s just a fringe player like a few we just let go. Why the **** get him?

Fair point but he isn't like the ones we just delisted, he is quick. But to be fair I never heard of him before today so I can't rate him and I agree that highlight packages are misleading. And Just because he is a fringe player at Melbourne due to their team doesn't mean he will be a fringe player for us. I remember Jack Steele was in and out of GWS's team. glad we took the chance there
Fair call mate. Hope he’s awesome for us.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 26 Sep 2018 6:14pm

Do you reckon Darren Minchington has pace? I'd love for the new coaching staff to help twist the arm of the football department and rookie him for 2019. I know Darren has had injury issues but so have the blokes we are trying to bring in like Kent and Hannebery

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I would say the reason Parkey left would relate more to the number of forumites that jump on people for expressing their opinion...
Like that’s some big, unforgivable sin on a fan forum

Go figure

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

If it's anything to go by, Doctor Turf who is a Dees supporter (on SEN's KB & the Doc) rates Kent. Said he was sad to hear that he's leaving Melbourne.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

With Dean Kent and The Man of Steele maybe we might have a package.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
chico2001
Club Player

Forget the negative nellies bulls***. Everyone has an opinion and that is why it is called a forum. Saints administration have only themselves to blame if the club has been unsuccessful for so long, it is not the supporters fault who are probably the most loyal in the land. Saints are on the bottom of the ladder almost and have a golden opportunity to recruit well and with a full warchest and backing from the AFL. There are quite a few good players around the country in good form and injury free, yet the saints have started recruiting players who are either injured or have have been injured off and on for the past 2 years. Steele, Membrey Roberton and Carlisle never had those ongoing injury concerns so they cannot be thrown into the conversation.
Kent deserves a 2nd chance who doesn't? but he has been injured most of his AFL career so therefore the club is hoping he will remain injury free from day dot. So how does that work...averages 10 games a year for 6 years with Dees and all of a sudden...presto, he joins the saints and is going to be running through the midfield 22 games a year. Good when he is on the park but never on there. Doesn't matter if he comes cheap, (you never here the top sides say that). Saints can do better.