Roo and Shiel?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Roo and Shiel?

Sounds like Roo visited Shiel to pitch the Saints as a new home(correct me if I'm wrong). Does this mean Roo is going to be more active at the Saints in some kind of higher profile role? Surely Roo being involved would be part of the Shiel deal, as it doesn't make a lot of sense for Roo to be involved if he is no longer a player and captain or active at the club- why would we not just send Geary or Richo to do the sweet talking?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Roo and Shiel?

There's a reasonably detailed article about it on afl.com

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-04/h ... hiel-pitch
St Kilda legend Nick Riewoldt was involved in the club's presentation.

"For a legend of the club who wants to help the club get better, to be available to put his view across about the club and what it might mean to win a second premiership at the St Kilda Football Club was, I think, very important," Lethlean said.
Sounds like he's acting as a club ambassador, which is a great move from the club IMO, getting him involved. Couldn't get a better ambassador!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

So we are tugging on their heart strings to get players across the line. Farcking amateur hour again

Meanwhile the pros are sticking to a strategy that involves explaining how their footy clubs coaching and planning is evolving. They go about their business and talk football and how the player fits into that strategy. That's why it's so important that the ambassadors should be the guys he will be lining up with in battle and get them to explain how the team will go to the next level...not someone who is retired

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Great and powerful move by the club. Well done Simon Lethlean and Nick Riewoldt.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 3:59pm So we are tugging on their heart strings to get players across the line. Farcking amateur hour again

Meanwhile the pros are sticking to a strategy that involves explaining how their footy clubs coaching and planning is evolving. They go about their business and talk football and how the player fits into that strategy. That's why it's so important that the ambassadors should be the guys he will be lining up with in battle and get them to explain how the team will go to the next level...not someone who is retired
Your taking the piss surely......well I hope you are. :roll: :roll:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Put yourself in Shiel's shoes. Yes, Roo is a legend of our club and a legend of the sport but the coach and the players will be the ones going into battle with Dylan each week. Doesn't he need to hear them selling the team and its prospects going forward? I'm assumimg that the Roo trump card was after the players and coach met him

No emotion will come into his decision making about how a premiership with St Kilda is worth more than a premiership with Hawthorn. It's just business and it's just a decision that affects the rest of his life. Why should emotion come into it?
Last edited by Scollop on Thu 04 Oct 2018 4:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 3:59pm So we are tugging on their heart strings to get players across the line. Farcking amateur hour again

Carlton had Judd reach out to him.

I know who'd impress me more. The real leader of men versus the corporate leader with a mastery of the vulcan nerve pinch.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 4:51pm

Carlton had Judd reach out to him.

I know who'd impress me more. The real leader of men versus the corporate leader with a mastery of the vulcan nerve pinch.
And the eye gouge! Don’t forget that! And the chicken wing

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 2:41pm Sounds like Roo visited Shiel to pitch the Saints as a new home(correct me if I'm wrong). Does this mean Roo is going to be more active at the Saints in some kind of higher profile role? Surely Roo being involved would be part of the Shiel deal, as it doesn't make a lot of sense for Roo to be involved if he is no longer a player and captain or active at the club- why would we not just send Geary or Richo to do the sweet talking?
Hummm....let me think about this Geary or Roo?..........hummm......Richo & Geary or Roo?.....is it a serious pitch, do we really want to land Shiel?..

Hummm.....I wonder who would be more impressive.....if I were Shiel who would impress me?.....

damienc
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 4:13pm Great and powerful move by the club. Well done Simon Lethlean and Nick Riewoldt.
Sadly, it is all in vain. Shiel is going to Hawthorn certainly not the Saints, despite being offered the Gross Domestic Product of a small African country as his salary.

The reality is Shiel, like very other A grader who might be looking to jump ship, is not interested in the SS St Kilda. And why? Because they don't like our coach. They don't rate our coach. And the word has got around.

There is no other explanation. Hawthorn are offering way less but players like Shiel know Clarkson is a good coach. And he is.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't want Shiel if he is going to cost the Gross Domestic Product of a small African country.
And I don't want us to give our first round draft pick for him either.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 6:21pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 4:13pm Great and powerful move by the club. Well done Simon Lethlean and Nick Riewoldt.
Sadly, it is all in vain. Shiel is going to Hawthorn certainly not the Saints, despite being offered the Gross Domestic Product of a small African country as his salary.

The reality is Shiel, like very other A grader who might be looking to jump ship, is not interested in the SS St Kilda. And why? Because they don't like our coach. They don't rate our coach. And the word has got around.

There is no other explanation. Hawthorn are offering way less but players like Shiel know Clarkson is a good coach. And he is.
Source????

saintbob
SS Life Member

spert wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 2:41pm Sounds like Roo visited Shiel to pitch the Saints as a new home(correct me if I'm wrong). Does this mean Roo is going to be more active at the Saints in some kind of higher profile role? Surely Roo being involved would be part of the Shiel deal, as it doesn't make a lot of sense for Roo to be involved if he is no longer a player and captain or active at the club- why would we not just send Geary or Richo to do the sweet talking?
f*** ME they couldn't have sent Richo, Shiel would've felt like he was talking to a funeral director!!!!

spert
Saintsational Legend

This may be far-fetched, but I think the reason Roo spoke to Shiel was to explain that if he came to the Saints, he would be playing under the new coach...one N.Reiwoldt. You may laugh but tell me a better way to attract new members and sponsors plus gain valuable media interest...

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

?

Strange take on it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 7:05pm This may be far-fetched, but I think the reason Roo spoke to Shiel was to explain that if he came to the Saints, he would be playing under the new coach...one N.Reiwoldt. You may laugh but tell me a better way to attract new members and sponsors plus gain valuable media interest...
Sorry, but if the Saints appointed any player who has not done the hard yards of being an assistant coach somewhere first I would lose my s***!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I think you are stuck in perpetual negative impressions. Do you see any positive stuff the club does?

chico2001
Club Player

Saints have to try every trick in the book, other clubs do the same thing. Still cant see why he is being offered $1.3 a year though . Just the wrong price for an A grade midfielder IMO

asiu
Saintsational Legend

:) @vulcan nerve pinch

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 4:48pm Put yourself in Shiel's shoes. Yes, Roo is a legend of our club and a legend of the sport but the coach and the players will be the ones going into battle with Dylan each week. Doesn't he need to hear them selling the team and its prospects going forward? I'm assumimg that the Roo trump card was after the players and coach met him

No emotion will come into his decision making about how a premiership with St Kilda is worth more than a premiership with Hawthorn. It's just business and it's just a decision that affects the rest of his life. Why should emotion come into it?
Er - emotion doesn't come into wanting to win a premiership? What comes into it then? I would have thought it's the only thing that comes into it! Unless you think a winning feeling isn't a feeling, mateship isn't an emotional response to your mates. Excuse the circularity but I'd say emotion was right on the money!

spert
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 7:10pm
spert wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 7:05pm This may be far-fetched, but I think the reason Roo spoke to Shiel was to explain that if he came to the Saints, he would be playing under the new coach...one N.Reiwoldt. You may laugh but tell me a better way to attract new members and sponsors plus gain valuable media interest...
Sorry, but if the Saints appointed any player who has not done the hard yards of being an assistant coach somewhere first I would lose my s***!
I don't think Yabby had a lot of assistant experience when he took on the Saints and got us a flag. How many experienced assistants have gotten us a premiership since then. It's just one factor, not the whole story. Some guys are naturals, and others for all their qualifications can never be.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Fri 05 Oct 2018 9:46am
Scollop wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 4:48pm Put yourself in Shiel's shoes. Yes, Roo is a legend of our club and a legend of the sport but the coach and the players will be the ones going into battle with Dylan each week. Doesn't he need to hear them selling the team and its prospects going forward? I'm assumimg that the Roo trump card was after the players and coach met him

Er - emotion doesn't come into wanting to win a premiership? What comes into it then? I would have thought it's the only thing that comes into it! Unless you think a winning feeling isn't a feeling, mateship isn't an emotional response to your mates. Excuse the circularity but I'd say emotion was right on the money!
For a presentation to a prospect looking at coming into a club it has close to zero relevance.

Once he arrives and once he has strong relationships and once he has good mates at the club certainly it plays a role. If we bring in a player and he meets some of the diehards and gets to relive stories with past players then of course emotion will come into it, but we are talking about a pitch to a professional AFL footballer in this highly professional era. If you think he or his manager are going to be swayed emotionally you are living in the past

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 7:21pm

I think you are stuck in perpetual negative impressions. Do you see any positive stuff the club does?
If you park the last 12 months aside, everything is on track and pleasing

Legendary
Club Player

AFL rules now prohibit someone from being appointed a senior coach unless (i) they've already been a senior coach or (ii) they've completed the Level 4 coaching course.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Fri 05 Oct 2018 11:33am
saintsRrising wrote: Thu 04 Oct 2018 7:10pm
I don't think Yabby had a lot of assistant experience when he took on the Saints and got us a flag. How many experienced assistants have gotten us a premiership since then. It's just one factor, not the whole story. Some guys are naturals, and others for all their qualifications can never be.
Jeans coached the St Kilda Reserves in 1960 and became head coach in 1961.

IMO in this day and age only the foolish would appoint someone without any coaching experience to the role of Head Coach of an AFL Club.

In addition the football club world is vastly different that in 1966. Just to start with there are a large number of assistant coaches that the Head Coach has to manage. Bringing in someone with no experience to such a role would be taking a huge risk.

In recent years the Saints have made way too many L-Plate appointments. Doing it with a Head Coach would be asking for trouble.

If the Saints did do it, then you would really have to question the judgement of the people making that appointment. But having appointed people such as Jamie Cox nothing would surprise. But, please, oh please can the Saints move past being a basket-case of a club offield rather than being exponents of "SaintsLotto".

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....