Players who should improve

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cordz2
Club Player

Players who should improve

With our new coaches on board I hope we can start getting some improvements in our players this off season. I’ve put together a list of guys who we should expect an improvement from next year in their development- I haven’t included anyone who was simply down on form this year but has been good in the past.

11 Clark
21 Long
24 Austin
26 Battle
30 Phillips
31 White
33 Coffield
36 D Mac
37 Rice
38 Clavarino
40 Joyce
42 Pearce
43 Marshall
45 Paton
46 Langlands

That’s 15 guys who “Should” improve on last year through another year in the system and some improved coaching methods.
If at least 1/2 don’t get better, then yes, we are f****d

saintbob
SS Life Member

Re: Players who should improve

Everyone on the list should improve, now we’ve got Ratten on board

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Maybe.
Roll back a few years and we had a similar number of players but different names.
Players like Dunstan Billings Acres McCartin Goddard - all high draft picks. None significantly improved.
I hope you are right and I am wrong.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
older saint
SS Life Member

Will they be given opportunity to though that is the question as this year there was many times usual suspects got a game instead of the future and we won 4.5 games?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Nick Coffield is going to be an interesting one to watch, he didn't quite establish himself in his first year like Hunter did, Nick just didn't look comfortable at the elite level, absolutely showed some glimpses.

Battle is the other one I'm bullish about, he didn't play much but when he did he just looked like a football player and relished body contact.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Cairnsman wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 9:08pm Nick Coffield is going to be an interesting one to watch, he didn't quite establish himself in his first year like Hunter did, Nick just didn't look comfortable at the elite level, absolutely showed some glimpses.

Battle is the other one I'm bullish about, he didn't play much but when he did he just looked like a football player and relished body contact.
I agree on Battle. To me he looks like a bigger version of Aaron Hamill.
I think entire should be aiming to improve on their efforts last year. Can't think of one player that can't improve.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 7:02pm Maybe.
Roll back a few years and we had a similar number of players but different names.
Players like Dunstan Billings Acres McCartin Goddard - all high draft picks. None significantly improved.
feel for these players. i feel all bar goddard and perhaps mccartin, would be established and well developed players if they'd been at most other clubs.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Long, I don't expect much from him at all, he'll just get 12-15 touches per game, and not do well.
D-Mack had a chance to show something, but has slipped away. Will stay in the Zebs.
Pierce will be mainly VFL but might get a game if lucky.
The only ones I am sure on, are
Clark, Battle, Phillips, Coffield, maybe Austin.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
groupie1
Club Player

Cordz2 wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 4:22pm With our new coaches on board I hope we can start getting some improvements in our players this off season. I’ve put together a list of guys who we should expect an improvement from next year in their development- I haven’t included anyone who was simply down on form this year but has been good in the past.

11 Clark
21 Long
24 Austin
26 Battle
30 Phillips
31 White
33 Coffield
36 D Mac
37 Rice
38 Clavarino
40 Joyce
42 Pearce
43 Marshall
45 Paton
46 Langlands

That’s 15 guys who “Should” improve on last year through another year in the system and some improved coaching methods.
If at least 1/2 don’t get better, then yes, we are f****d
I wanted to add a rating of how much they'd improve, from 0 (not at all) to 10 (to elite level)

11 Clark - 4. 2nd year player. Big improvement will come 2020
21 Long - 9. Easilt the classiest player on the list; expect him to nudge elite status
24 Austin - 7. All indications from 2018 suggest he'll really get comfortabl as a key back in 2019.
26 Battle - 9. Very bullish on this kid.
30 Phillips - 5. He'll improve all aspects of his game up to his endurance level. Push for regular selection.
31 White - 4. Still a lot for him to work on.
33 Coffield - 4. 2nd year player. Big improvement will come 2020
36 D Mac - 7. Bullish on DMac. He'll smooth out the rough edges in his game and become, hopefully, a Gram type player.
37 Rice - 6. Sluggish at times, so I think his max. potential is limited. But he has smarts and awareness and should be a regular.
38 Clavarino - no info on him
40 Joyce - 5. And that kind of improvement is all skill execution. I'd love to see this kid make it. Great size for a footballer and he just need to get his skills right.
42 Pearce - 5. I HOPE they give him the chance to be no. 1 ruck; looked promising to me. Much better at ground level than Longer, big strong hips.
43 Marshall - 6. Kicking straight for goal, working on his forward craft, That level of improvement will really boost the team's fate. If he doesn't earn a regular spot, he's gone backwards.
45 Paton - 7. Got a taste. Looks the goods. I expect him to become a solid best-22 footballer next year.
46 Langlands - no info on him

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Austin has improved out of sight since crossing to us - he was only averaging 6-7 possessions with 89% game time at Port Adelaide over 2016, 2017 and with us he averaged 19.7 possessions per game!
He has tripled his output, already! Amazing.

Long should improve - he came back from injury. Same with Acres - he is set for a breakout year.
Battle was also injured - he needs some continuity.

Roberton would be a bonus - if he can get back to normal. We really missed him.

White needs to add some kilos onto that light frame of his - it's the only thing that is holding him back.

We haven't recruited/landed any elite big fish, but hopefully we will get the most of our small fry (if the injury gods can give us a break).

I'm reasonably bullish, but realistic - Collingwood, Richmond, Melbourne, the Hawks, GWS, etc.. obviously have more talented and skillful lists.

chico2001
Club Player

Settle, settle settle, are you guys over rating some of these players or what?...…………. Long will nudge "elite status" for e.g.

Battle and Marshall will improve for sure, as will clark. The rest are GOP's at the minute and not regulars, we want them to do more than just get a game otherwise we will go backwards. If they do improve , what position will they play? who will they replace?

groupie1
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 12:09pm Settle, settle settle, are you guys over rating some of these players or what?...…………. Long will nudge "elite status" for e.g.

Battle and Marshall will improve for sure, as will clark. The rest are GOP's at the minute and not regulars, we want them to do more than just get a game otherwise we will go backwards. If they do improve , what position will they play? who will they replace?
Yeah, I know. Its the time of year.....

seriously though....

I expect SIGNIFICANT improvement from the following (including new and injured players being added to the team):
Added who they replace, where I think of it, in brackets)

Roberton (replace Gilbert)
Bruce (Paddy)
Acres (Sinclair)
Hanners (Savage)
K-ent (Weller)
Pick 5
21 Long
24 Austin (Brown)
26 Battle (
43 Marshall (
45 Paton (Dunstan)

I would hope for some consolidation of best-22 status of the following:

Clark (Newnes)
33 Coffield
36 D Mac (Geary - sorry)
37 Rice
42 Pearce (Hickey)

(bearing in mind, many of these guys played regularly, or semi-regularly, so they're not necesarilly replacing anyone)

Improving, pushing for selection
30 Phillips
31 White

I really like the physique of this kid, his job is to work on his skills:
40 Joyce

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think Paton may well become an A-grade player in a couple of years

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 1:44am Long, I don't expect much from him at all, he'll just get 12-15 touches per game, and not do well.
D-Mack had a chance to show something, but has slipped away. Will stay in the Zebs.
Pierce will be mainly VFL but might get a game if lucky.
The only ones I am sure on, are
Clark, Battle, Phillips, Coffield, maybe Austin.
Seriously

Long got a rising star nomination before injured

Mackenzie played only13 games but finished top 10 in b and f

Pierce was promising in his few games

But hey what would I know

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
DJ Higgins
Club Player

I have no idea on where all this improvement is coming from with Richo in charge. Ratten will be second fiddle for the first year and it takes time for his influence and game plan to come in. Our skills are terrible to the.point they abandoned trialling the new rules with us part way thru or training.
Being realistic here. Until the coach either leaves or changes his methods 2019 will be bottom 4 again which in turn makes Dan hannenberry no longer a good trade

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I’d like to see Austin play a little more.

Quite like this kid. Mobile for a tall and can run. Hope we try to use him more as a third tall that can run and hurt the opposition the other way as opposed to a key back

wally
Club Player

These young guys need game time to improve, which they don't get while Weller, Savage etc are playing.
I realise we need a mix of experience/youth to go forward.
Look at Bris, lots of youth and add Hodge to guide on field.
We only won 4 games this year so what we did didn't work.
I'd like to see say a 4 game guarantee to the youngsters (barring injury) no more 1 game and gone crap.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Sat 20 Oct 2018 1:18pm These young guys need game time to improve, which they don't get while Weller, Savage etc are playing.
I realise we need a mix of experience/youth to go forward.
Look at Bris, lots of youth and add Hodge to guide on field.
We only won 4 games this year so what we did didn't work.
I'd like to see say a 4 game guarantee to the youngsters (barring injury) no more 1 game and gone crap.
Weller has been given the flick and Savage has earned his place imho.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Thu 18 Oct 2018 9:08pm Nick Coffield is going to be an interesting one to watch, he didn't quite establish himself in his first year like Hunter did, Nick just didn't look comfortable at the elite level, absolutely showed some glimpses.

Battle is too aggressive.
Our coach prefers players who are nice boys who are gentle and come from good families.
Battle will have to wait for Paddy to get another concussion.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saint6709
Club Player

ace wrote: Sat 20 Oct 2018 3:52pm

Our coach prefers players who are nice boys who are gentle and come from good families.
coffield exceeded my expectations in his first year - given his age - he is quite a big guy and still hasn't turned 19 yet !

Battle I think will be a beast next year - he is going to intimidate the opposition and will only be 20 !

groupie1
Club Player

Ha!

Ya have no idea how sick of that I got to hearing from Trout: nice family, good values, good head on his shoulders...

Who f***king cares! Can he hit a 50 cent piece lace out from 50 meters running full pace and under pressure 95 times out of a hundred?

chico2001
Club Player

groupie1 wrote: Sat 20 Oct 2018 8:43am
chico2001 wrote: Fri 19 Oct 2018 12:09pm Settle, settle settle, are you guys over rating some of these players or what?...…………. Long will nudge "elite status" for e.g.

Yeah, I know. Its the time of year.....

seriously though....

I expect SIGNIFICANT improvement from the following (including new and injured players being added to the team):
Added who they replace, where I think of it, in brackets)

Roberton (replace Gilbert)
Bruce (Paddy)
Acres (Sinclair)
Hanners (Savage)
K-ent (Weller)
Pick 5
21 Long
24 Austin (Brown)
26 Battle (
43 Marshall (
45 Paton (Dunstan)

I would hope for some consolidation of best-22 status of the following:

Clark (Newnes)
33 Coffield
36 D Mac (Geary - sorry)
37 Rice
42 Pearce (Hickey)

(bearing in mind, many of these guys played regularly, or semi-regularly, so they're not necesarilly replacing anyone)

Improving, pushing for selection
30 Phillips
31 White

I really like the physique of this kid, his job is to work on his skills:
40 Joyce
I think Savage and Newnes will still get a game because they can kick well and find the ball. I would be a bit smarter how I used those guys. Having said that, they have only got the one year to move up a gear or they will axed.

gwiltyascharged
Club Player

Markworth, N Wright, S White, Murdoch....

I hope Richo has the man to man chat with Nathan Brown. Look mate. We love you, but you will need to play a fair bit of VFL this year as we need to get games in to Logan Austin.

groupie1
Club Player

gwiltyascharged wrote: Sun 21 Oct 2018 4:39pm
Markworth, N Wright, S White, Murdoch....

I hope Richo has the man to man chat with Nathan Brown. Look mate. We love you, but you will need to play a fair bit of VFL this year as we need to get games in to Logan Austin.
Brownie's been around long enough to know that's the deal. He's been good for us, man. I think he was exactly what we needed at the time and I'd rather have him playing on than Gilbert.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

groupie1 wrote: Sun 21 Oct 2018 6:44am

Ha!

Ya have no idea how sick of that I got to hearing from Trout: nice family, good values, good head on his shoulders...

Who f***king cares! Can he hit a 50 cent piece lace out from 50 meters running full pace and under pressure 95 times out of a hundred?
The Tigers have a Brownlow medallist who's dad can't come to Oz, and that player hangs with 'colourful' characters as well.

We need to back off the altar boys and go after some naughty boys, just for a change.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee