Set Shot Accuracy...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St.Kilda’s set shots at goal over 2018 compared to the previous year:

Got better
12%
Got worse
44%
Neither got better or worse
33%
You’re not qualified to talk about set shot accuracy as you’re not a goal kicking coach
12%

Total votes: 43

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Re: Set Shot Accuracy...

The clearest example of a waste of bandwidth is all the posts from Teddy's first until the post above this. (dud's)

Clear sabotage of a thread attempting to focus on a major on-field deficiency of the club for the past 2 seasons.

None of us want the hatrick for 2019.

There are 3 dickheads on here who will not acknowledge any realistic failures of the club, and use ad hominem attacks to stuff the thread
completely.

Time and time over you do it, and it is turning this site into shite.

So either debate/argue threads properly, or fuc$off!

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
takeaway
Club Player

sendmehomehappy wrote: Fri 02 Nov 2018 11:40pm The clearest example of a waste of bandwidth is all the posts from Teddy's first until the post above this. (dud's)

Clear sabotage of a thread attempting to focus on a major on-field deficiency of the club for the past 2 seasons.

None of us want the hatrick for 2019.

There are 3 dickheads on here who will not acknowledge any realistic failures of the club, and use ad hominem attacks to stuff the thread
completely.

Time and time over you do it, and it is turning this site into shite.

So either debate/argue threads properly, or fuc$off!
Ha Ha. As you are well aware the poster started this thread for the sole purpose of laboring the "are you qualified or not qualified to comment on the topic" from the coaching thread - as pointed out earlier. So it started out as shite.

You thought it was a legitimate poll? Oh dear.

Factor
Club Player

What’s the situation with Ben Dixon for 2019? Apologies if covered elsewhere. I’d imagine his on a year by year deal.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

On the mental health/strength theme above, almost, how about thinking of ssa as a result of composure or lack thereof rather than generally poor technique by our men. Perhaps a topic for another PHD thesis could be on a way to measure composure during set shots: say link the GPS recorder to heart rate, sphincter contraction, pupil dilation, breathing pattern, peripheral glances in the hope of dishing off; in that way it might be possible to assess which players find kicking for goal stressful to the point of dysfunction and the club can work on calming focus routines al la Union or League goal kickers. Simply telling people to kick straight or practicing without the simulation of pressure may not really get to the root cause of the problem. I have not seen AR show he can get players to be composed and trust their skills under pressure. Certainly his maniacal* pressure mantra hasn't cut it and possibly been a significant cause of individuals and the team regressing.
* apologies for non clinical use of this term. Can't think of a pc adjective.

Crossy66
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Fri 02 Nov 2018 11:25pm Fixing our pathetic conversion rate in front of goal should have been priority number 1, 2 and 3 before the 2018 season. Clearly it was not, which IMO is one of the biggest crosses against Richo. How many games have we lost over the last 2 seasons purely on conversion? Every second week it seemed we ended up 7.13 or there abouts.

How much money did we waste on Dixon?

Not good enough.
Its a really valid point and one of the reasons i am sitting on the fence regarding richo. I think it's accepted that our conversion rate has cost us lots of games, maybe 4 or 5 this year. Is that the fault of the head coach? They hired a goal kicking coach so have identified and attempted to solve the issue. There is only so much a head coach can do. Players are have to take responsibility for this and the problem for a number of the players appears more psychological than physiological.
If they can get this right, we will win more games next season.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 9:42am
The_Dud wrote: Fri 02 Nov 2018 11:25pm Fixing our pathetic conversion rate in front of goal should have been priority number 1, 2 and 3 before the 2018 season. Clearly it was not, which IMO is one of the biggest crosses against Richo. How many games have we lost over the last 2 seasons purely on conversion? Every second week it seemed we ended up 7.13 or there abouts.

Not good enough.
Its a really valid point and one of the reasons i am sitting on the fence regarding richo. I think it's accepted that our conversion rate has cost us lots of games, maybe 4 or 5 this year. Is that the fault of the head coach? They hired a goal kicking coach so have identified and attempted to solve the issue. There is only so much a head coach can do. Players are have to take responsibility for this and the problem for a number of the players appears more psychological than physiological.
If they can get this right, we will win more games next season.
I think psychology has been a prominent issue at our club since 2017 when we had those infamous not turn up games vs Essendon and Melbourne.
It was an area I hoped we’d improve on this year.

It’s something that I’ve come to really appreciate about RL and the bubble approach... his teams could turn bad starts or opposition run ons around more often with losses being more of a talent/getting beaten thing

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Fri 02 Nov 2018 10:08pm
stonecold wrote: Fri 02 Nov 2018 10:02pm Is it Australian Qualification Day?????
My qualifications are in mental health. I have a masters degree, nearly completed my PHD, published papers and I 12 years clinical experience at a range of settings in Australia.

I’ve been examining your’s and Ted’s thinking patterns, rationalisations and logic... not that it takes a genius but the results aren’t good.

You SCSO should look up anti-social and narcissistic personality disorders - that I am qualified to say
I'm qualified in blowing my own trumpet.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

two posts on topic, the rest just argy bargy. pretty par for the course in off season. not that i mind.
our goal kicking accuracy was crap this year last year and four of the past five seasons. probably nine of the last ten. cost us a flag.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 9:12am On the mental health/strength theme above, almost, how about thinking of ssa as a result of composure or lack thereof rather than generally poor technique by our men. Perhaps a topic for another PHD thesis could be on a way to measure composure during set shots: say link the GPS recorder to heart rate, sphincter contraction, pupil dilation, breathing pattern, peripheral glances in the hope of dishing off; in that way it might be possible to assess which players find kicking for goal stressful to the point of dysfunction and the club can work on calming focus routines al la Union or League goal kickers. Simply telling people to kick straight or practicing without the simulation of pressure may not really get to the root cause of the problem. I have not seen AR show he can get players to be composed and trust their skills under pressure. Certainly his maniacal* pressure mantra hasn't cut it and possibly been a significant cause of individuals and the team regressing.
Hit. Nail. Head.

Composure, set shot team rules, as well as systems and planning is key imho. Trust in the coach and confidence in his systems is symbolised in the ssa

'sphincter contraction'

Would be awkward fitting the device to measure this

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 9:12am * apologies for non clinical use of this term. Can't think of a pc adjective.
There’s nothing wrong with the use of the term maniacal in that context

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 12:38pm
Yorkeys wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 9:12am On the mental health/strength theme above, almost, how about thinking of ssa as a result of composure or lack thereof rather than generally poor technique by our men. Perhaps a topic for another PHD thesis could be on a way to measure composure during set shots: say link the GPS recorder to heart rate, sphincter contraction, pupil dilation, breathing pattern, peripheral glances in the hope of dishing off; in that way it might be possible to assess which players find kicking for goal stressful to the point of dysfunction and the club can work on calming focus routines al la Union or League goal kickers. Simply telling people to kick straight or practicing without the simulation of pressure may not really get to the root cause of the problem. I have not seen AR show he can get players to be composed and trust their skills under pressure. Certainly his maniacal* pressure mantra hasn't cut it and possibly been a significant cause of individuals and the team regressing.
Hit. Nail. Head.

Composure, set shot team rules, as well as systems and planning is key imho. Trust in the coach and confidence in his systems is symbolised in the ssa

'sphincter contraction'

Would be awkward fitting the device to measure this
I have no idea what the issue with our set shots... i wonder if it’s a fatigue thing?

Many the problem was so ingrained when Dixon got there that he needs more than a year to rememdy it?

The thing that is of the most concern is that players seem to come to our club and get progressively worse over time... Billings, McCartin and Membrey are three examples of players that you would have put the house when they arrived.

Paddy in particular was good until this season and is still an excellent field kick but looks almost to be afraid at times to have shots.

Can’t remember who posted it first, but a while ago someone pointed out that many of our players have a peculiar run up where they veer strongly to one direction at the end of the run up instead of going in straight which is apparently the norm. I wouldn’t know RE the accuracy of this because I don’t play but since I started paying attention to pattern appears to be that players that move to the right at the end of the run up, miss to the right more often then not... same with the left.

Seems like common sense... not that we can use that

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I saw Billings countless times where he'd run out to the right forward pocket on a lead and then try to slot a set shot on his left foot. Tight angle and trying to go the drop punt from the wrong side pocket for a left footer was not common sense. Most of the time he'd miss and then he just does the same thing (with a drop punt instead of trying the StevieJ round the corner on the non preferred) when he gets the next opportunity. Dumb!! And even dumber that the coach allows it

I saw Lonie, Gresh, McCartin and Billings playing on with an around the corner SteveyJ style kick from 20 metres out in front after taking a mark instead of going back and slotting a set shot on the drop punt. Dumb and even dumber that the coach does not create some team rules around what is expected and what the best course of action is when the same situation arises.

So once again, the coaching is letting these guys down. Keep it simple for them and don't give them the option to choose a different kick or different style each time.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Not good enough.
I believe the exact opposite is true.

I believe that our high pressure forward press defensive strategy of 2017 was exhausting young bodies not yet at full AFL fitness and accounted for shots at goal when the body was not recovered and able to steady and complete the goal kicking task.

So in 2018 the coaches decided to defend further back and try a sling shot strategy instead with more open ball movement once we gained possession but North pulled this apart with superior contested ball and we couldn’t win the ball back enough. Coupled with our actual deep defensive set up had no cover for the fat side switch.

By round 2 our whole new game plan had been dismantled and this was the fault of the defensive and transition team and then Richardson for adopting the overall plan.

As a team our structure was poor. The aim was to ensure the forwards and midfield were less exhausted when shooting for goal. Instead we had less forward entries (and shots) and the forwards got sucked and worked higher up the ground to get to contest positions in order to get some transition happening and thus had to work hard to get back into the forward 50.

Then key injuries kicked in Bruce and then Roberton.

We got better only when we went 1 on 1 and could our hands on the pill.

The only time the sling shot game plan worked was cs Melbourne who just disrespected us as a team that day and paid the price.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Roberton, not Robertson.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Mon 05 Nov 2018 3:05am Roberton, not Robertson.
Happily stand corrected by you.

Not so happy with auto correct on my phone.

And now corrected in the post.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Factor wrote: Sat 03 Nov 2018 7:40am What’s the situation with Ben Dixon for 2019? Apologies if covered elsewhere. I’d imagine his on a year by year deal.
Three year contract from memory.

chico2001
Club Player

RULE 101...……...No excuses....game plans...defensive shite...high pressure, strategies, every excuse in the book. Skill level is down, a few of those players were at rest when they kicked for goal on an ongoing basis, they never even seen the backline. The kicking needs working on until they get it right, same as handball under pressure. If you practice it right, train at a high efficiency rate then that comes into the game. Another thing, know your limitations...…...don't try and kick from 50 on the boundary.....that is bulls***. That's poor decision making , poor kicking and poor coaching. Don't try and kick around the corner when you cant even kick a drop punt 40 m.

FFS......getting paid big money to try and kick a football straight from 40 metres out…..gimmee a break

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

BackFromUSA wrote: Sun 04 Nov 2018 11:06am

Not good enough.
I believe the exact opposite is true.

I believe that our high pressure forward press defensive strategy of 2017 was exhausting young bodies not yet at full AFL fitness and accounted for shots at goal when the body was not recovered and able to steady and complete the goal kicking task.

So in 2018 the coaches decided to defend further back and try a sling shot strategy instead with more open ball movement once we gained possession but North pulled this apart with superior contested ball and we couldn’t win the ball back enough. Coupled with our actual deep defensive set up had no cover for the fat side switch.

By round 2 our whole new game plan had been dismantled and this was the fault of the defensive and transition team and then Richardson for adopting the overall plan.

As a team our structure was poor. The aim was to ensure the forwards and midfield were less exhausted when shooting for goal. Instead we had less forward entries (and shots) and the forwards got sucked and worked higher up the ground to get to contest positions in order to get some transition happening and thus had to work hard to get back into the forward 50.

Then key injuries kicked in Bruce and then Roberton.

We got better only when we went 1 on 1 and could our hands on the pill.

The only time the sling shot game plan worked was cs Melbourne who just disrespected us as a team that day and paid the price.
Simon, I reckon I can safely assume that we aren't paying you $500 p.a.(?) So, how come the bloke that we are paying $500K p.a., cannot see what you've just explained???

In other words, our coaching is basically... not even close, to AFL standard.

And after five years(!), that's indefensible (to anyone who actually cares about our club)!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

2018 225.256.1606
2017 271.299.1925
2016 286.237.1953
2015 241.249.1695
2014 212.208.1480

bout time we actually looked at the figures
So how ANYONE could say it got better is beyond reality - unicorns rainbows & rose coloured glasses

The other really obvious failure in our figures is the recent standard for the final 8 to hit around the 300 goals a year mark
Yes there are some traditional team anomalies to that (fremantle) but generally the game has changed to high scoring shot outs. Our backline has not been able to cope with that and our forwards need work

Seeya