Former Saintsationalist's Optimism

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Former Saintsationalist's Optimism

Had to post this, Drake Huggins who I believe is in a self imposed exile from Saintsational, posted this thread at Big Footy a few weeks ago. As a result, I reckon the Blue Sky brigade will consider offering him Life Membership:

"Reasons to be Cheerful (2019) - Part One.

As a critic of many aspects of the club throughout 2018, I thought that now is the time to take a deep breath and have a slightly more objective look at where we are at as both a football club and playing list. Now the draft and trading periods have concluded, my over aroused sympathetic nervous system, and its tendency to dislocate calm and rational thought in my prefrontal cortex*, has returned to relatively normal (for me) functioning.

I wrote a piece on SS in March this year, titled "Are we Norf MarkII ?" I was sure that the departure of Riewoldt and to a lesser extent, Joey, would have a dramatic and detrimental effect on the playing group. Nothing too revelatory there. Like Norf, who cleaned out five experienced leaders and veterans in one hit, we were bound to suffer short-term consequences. Like Norf, we can also bounce back to the fringes of the eight and a 10-12 win season in 2019. My reasons are as follows.

First, the draw. For the past three seasons, we have endured the toughest draws of any club. Relief in 2019 appears to be on its way. I know these things are impossible to predict with absolute certainty, but CD rates our draw as the third "softest" based on the available data.

Second, we now have Ratten and Slater in the club. Tactically and from a leadership perspective, this has been a coup. If AR stumbles, we also have a ready-made replacement. Big ticks all round. I think AR will be more motivated as well, knowing he has to perform. If this makes him draw on Ratten's experience, then we'll be all the better for it. Having drained the stagnant pond of our assistant coaching panel, I believe the fresh ideas and elevated levels of motivation newbies bring with them will rub off on the playing group.

Third, our administration has also been bolstered, significantly. Satan was first. A hard-arsed, competitive and ambitious beast at the top. A friend of Gill the dill, with plenty of connections at the Death Star and industry in general. Cronyism never looked so good. His little mate, Gags, also seems to know what he's doing. Ditto, Gubby, who's already made his presence felt and will hopefully do so for years to come. Both are a massive upgrade on Trout. Then again, a Cigar Store Indian would be an upgrade on Elshaug. (Sorry!!)

Apologies to those who are triggered by this. I had to have last one shot. I couldn't help myself. And to save the usual suspects several hundred strikes of the keyboard, yes, I'm a one trick pony, embittered because he gave me the arse, a fanboi of John Peake and John Beveridge and I made the whole thing up. That's better. Now back to the good stuff.

Throw in the efforts of the recruiters over the past three years. Is it a coincidence that the reigns were handed to Chris Liberatore and his training wheels were taken off around 2016, and our recruiting has improved since then? I wonder. The facts suggest the acquisition of Battle, Long, Coffield, Clark, M. King and Bytel augurs very well for the future. All potential 'A' graders. Throw in Steele, Marshall, Phillips, Rice, Paton, Austin and Clavarino and we have the basis of a very good list. If, they continue to develop. Hannaberry will pay for himself purely with his off-field influence (future coaching material I reckon), a handy pick up in Kent, with Gresh and Carlisle from 2015 rounding out the rebuild that should've begun in 2012. The mature agers from this year have me feeling like Big Kev when he was alive. Excited! (The decision to not select Marlion Pickett with a late selection or rookie pick left me perplexed, the only criticism I had. Then again, no one else wanted him either, a bit like Stack.)

At last, we have some genuine leg speed and grunt. I know some won't make it, but Parker and Hind should play a lot of senior footy this year. Wilkie was runner-up in North Adelaide's B & F last year and was subsequently challenged by the coach to get better. He did and went one better this year and took home the buttered confectionery. In a premiership year, no less. Me like. Throw in the return from injury of Roberton and Bruce and we are looking strong again.

The best part of their bold approach this year is they've taken chances, both with trades and picks. The list looks refreshed, despite the fact we had a relatively poor starting position. As per usual, the media seems to have ignored what a great effort this has been, especially as no one seemed to want to come to the club, even preferring Carlton and Brisbane. Ouch! I doubt we'll have the same problem attracting players next year.

So, given a reasonable run with injuries, I think we'll get back to at least 2016 standards. We need a couple to step up their leadership performance. I'm looking at Ross, Billings, Roberton and Steele. The Roo hangover should now be over. Give 12 to Max and let's get on with it. Off the field, we've made strides as well. I'm a fan of the China project, RSEA Park is a magnificent facility that will only get better and I still hold hope we'll get that stand-alone VFL team. The women are on track for their start in the AFLW as well and I'm hoping our disillusioned members find one last effort and sign up again. The mistakes of 2018 have been largely corrected!

I'll put what little credibility I have left on the line early and predict 12 wins, a decent percentage, courtesy of a revamped forward system, and a last minute entry into eighth place. Hey, I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!

Go Sainters!"
Last edited by Linton Lodger on Sun 23 Dec 2018 1:31pm, edited 2 times in total.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Former Saintsationalist's Optimism

WW coulda been a contender

ta for the post

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Thanks LL, however Drake is a deadset <edit by mods>smack that knows zero about the game what so ever!!!!!

Forum is a better place with it that moron!!!!!

At least it has found a home with all the 'other arm chair experts'!!!!!

<warning for abuse and breach of swear rule>

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―πŸ“―
dragit
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: ↑Sun 23 Dec 2018 7:11pm Thanks LL, however Drake is a deadset cocksmack that knows zero about the game what so ever!!!!!

It seems like you have c**k on the brain.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Hard to argue with any of that from Drake...

2018 was terrible and the club has responded. I hope we build on this momentum

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

For those that don't have the defect which is an over aroused sympathetic nervous system and its tendency to dislocate calm and rational thought in their prefrontal cortex, it was clear that not all was so bad that it should cause involuntary calls for the whole club to be blown up with mafia grade explosives.

Fortunately the prefrontal cortex of those in charge were of normal construction which is something I'm most pleased about, the old St Kilda would have imploded. Is this a turning point in the club's history.

I can't wait for round 6.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

we still have Ted

stonecold
SS Life Member

dragit wrote: ↑Sun 23 Dec 2018 7:35pm
stonecold wrote: ↑Sun 23 Dec 2018 7:11pm Thanks LL, however Drake is a deadset cocksmack that knows zero about the game what so ever!!!!!

It seems like you have c**k on the brain.
Still sticking up for your 'bum buddy'!!!!!

<warning for homophobic post>

asiu
Saintsational Legend

jesus stoner
why so angry ?

slow to boil u aint

minneapolis
Club Player

I am a computer programmer so my logical prefrontal cortex is exercised every work day.

I agree with most of the man's opinion.

I personally believe that the turning point was Lethlean being appointed.

My own opinion is that the leadership that appointed Richo wanted a nice guy to lead a harmonious group.

We need now a driven coach to lead substantial growth in most of the list. Is that man Ratten?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

you can have TB's hat if it helps.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: ↑Sun 23 Dec 2018 7:11pm Thanks LL, however Drake is a deadset <edit by mods>smack that knows zero about the game what so ever!!!!!

Well, that escalated quickly! :shock:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: ↑Sun 23 Dec 2018 7:11pm Thanks LL, however Drake is a deadset <edit by mods>smack that knows zero about the game what so ever!!!!!

Bit harsh for this time of the year mate.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: ↑Mon 24 Dec 2018 6:33am I am a computer programmer so my logical prefrontal cortex is exercised every work day.

My own opinion is that the leadership that appointed Richo wanted a nice guy to lead a harmonious group.

We need now a driven coach to lead substantial growth in most of the list. Is that man Ratten?
Is Lethlean a disruptive technology

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I don’t think we will be any worse in 2019 than we were in 2018.
So yes I’m cautiously optimistic that we can do better than 4.5 wins.
Here’s my top 3 reasons why:

1. A new look midfield.
Billings , Gresham, Clark all publicly stating they want more midfield time. Throw in Hannebery and some cameos from Kent and Long and that is nice injection of skill and speed. The only black cloud is our ruck weakness which I can’t see radically improving in 2019.

2. Improvement from within
For a number of years we seemed to recruit guys who showed a bit in their first year but then couldn’t build on that (Dunstan, Lonie, White, etc). I’m hoping that last years crop (Clark and Coffield) will go the next level in 2019 and Paddy, Battle, Marshall, Long and a few others follow suit. It feels like there is some latent talent there but we just haven’t found a way to develop it. Perhaps the new coaching panel can help extract some of it.

3. Confidence in a new game plan
Surely the new coaching panel will overhaul the game plan. If the players buy into it (and can execute it) then anything is possible. So much of today’s game is above the shoulders. Imagine we go from one of the worst teams in front of goals to one of the best. That alone gets us another couple of wins - let alone the knock on effects of better ball movement.

The first 5 games will be critical.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: ↑Sun 30 Dec 2018 4:11pm I don’t think we will be any worse in 2019 than we were in 2018.

So yes I’m cautiously optimistic that we can do better than 4.5 wins.
So....does 5 wins in 2019 mean we've achieved our goals?

If we improve at a consistent but mediocre rate of just half a game per season...and assuming the club survives and the AFL doesn't change from a 22 game h&a season....90% of us won't be around to see it...but we'll be premiers in 2060...Yay!

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: ↑Sun 30 Dec 2018 9:47pm
So....does 5 wins in 2019 mean we've achieved our goals?
Nope
My guess is they want to at least get back to where we were in 2016/17 ie 11-12 wins.
So I’m going to say that the pass mark is probably set at 10 wins. Anything less than that and we will have a new coach in 2020 (if not sooner)

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I beg to differ.
A pass mark this year is a place in the final 8.
Nothing else will be acceptable.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

The_Dud wrote: ↑Mon 24 Dec 2018 10:08am

And to think, he lectures people about being mature..

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
stonecold
SS Life Member

SydneySainter wrote: ↑Mon 31 Dec 2018 2:51pm
The_Dud wrote: ↑Mon 24 Dec 2018 10:08am

And to think, he lectures people about being mature..
I stand by this statement!!!!!

Drake is a dead set 'arm chair' of the highest quality, who is an 'ex lawman' all be it paper pusher, that has no football experience aside from knowing an ex coach!!!!!

asiu
Saintsational Legend

can u play chess stoney ?

stonecold
SS Life Member

asiu wrote: ↑Tue 01 Jan 2019 1:59pm can u play chess stoney ?
I'll ask why, just to entertain you!!!!!

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i need a player
a tad better than me

coz i reckon

the theorem expressed by the lads in the other thread ,
that even a mug could beat kasporov without a Queen
is incorrect

and i wanna see if i can do it
ie ... win without a starting Queen

so
can ya play ?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: ↑Mon 24 Dec 2018 1:03pm

Bit harsh for this time of the year mate.
Ahhh, so old grumble guts is nice once a year πŸ˜‚?

Someone on the blower was saying how there was a lack of road rage around Xmas day/eve. Interesting how people can only behave once a year.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
minneapolis
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: ↑Mon 24 Dec 2018 1:47pm
minneapolis wrote: ↑Mon 24 Dec 2018 6:33am I am a computer programmer so my logical prefrontal cortex is exercised every work day.

Is Lethlean a disruptive technology
I think he is.

I think he has disrupted the previous status quo. Finnis, Bains, Elshaugh and Richardson were nice people. People who preferred win-win situations. No one gets hurt feelings.

Lethlean bought in Slater, Gubby and Ratten. Hard men who go for it. Just like himself. I hope Bassat is as well but I am not hopeful. I will never forget when our past President, Plympton, after we were given such a terrible deal at the Docklands, said "Well we have to be a good AFL citizen".

I predict that Lethlean will be CEO this year. He will be looking for a nice job for Finnis at the moment to ease the transition. I think that was always part of the plan.

So we will have three new people at the top. Maybe all chosen by Lethlean?

I would call that disruptive, Cairnsman. And boy do we need it.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.