Saints to give former Pies defender a medical

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Saints to give former Pies defender a medical

On the AFL website yesterday, has this been posted before:

"ST KILDA has zeroed in on former Collingwood defender Jonathon Marsh in a last-ditch bid to add much-needed defensive stocks for 2019.

AFL.com.au understands the Saints will put Marsh through a medical screening on Wednesday as they prepare for much of the season without star defender Jake Carlisle.

With Nathan Brown suspended for the season opener and concerns over Dylan Roberton, Marsh could make a shock AFL return in round one against Gold Coast should he be added to the list.

However, with the Saints hopeful of a late-season Carlisle return, they're expected to instead place injured draftee Jack Bytel on the long-term injury list – opening up a spot for Marsh.

Under new pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) rules introduced this year, clubs have the opportunity to replace a player sidelined for the season before March 15.

Sydney moved quickly to replace injured defender Jack Maibaum to its list on Tuesday, plucking Hayden McLean out of SANFL club South Adelaide.

It follows Carlton's recent move to add Williamstown dynamo Michael Gibbons and Dandenong Stingray Matthew Cottrell last month.

Marsh was due to play for Richmond's VFL side this season under former Collingwood assistant Craig McRae following two strong seasons for East Fremantle in the WAFL.

With Suns talls Peter Wright and Jack Lukosius looming in round one, Marsh could be thrust into spotlight with queries over the Saints' depth of talls.

Should Roberton miss, the key defensive posts would be left to Irishman Darragh Joyce, forward-turned-defender Josh Battle and Logan Austin, who played VFL on the weekend.

While Port Adelaide won't look to replace Jake Patmore before March 15, the Suns are expected to add a midfielder with one of three available list spots.

Other clubs with remaining list spots – Carlton, GWS, Hawthorn and Melbourne – will hold over positions for the mid-season draft in round 11."

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints to give former Pies defender a medical

Mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96577
Probably deserves its own post though.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Official now. Welcome to the club.
St Kilda Football Club has added Jonathon Marsh to its playing list as part of the Supplemental Selection Period.

The decision to enlist the 23-year-old defender came after the club opted to place draftee Jack Bytel on the long-term injury list as he recovers from back surgery.

General Manager of Football Simon Lethlean said Marsh would bolster the Saints backline for the 2019 season.

“We’re really excited to add Jonathon to our playing list,” Lethlean said.

“Following two seasons with East Fremantle in the WAFL, Jonathon moved back to Melbourne with his partner late last year with the express purpose of reigniting his AFL career.

100309-Member-940x75.jpg

“He has been training with Richmond’s VFL team throughout the pre-season and looked impressive as part of the Tigers’ senior intra-club game a few weeks ago.

“With the recent injuries to Jake Carlisle and Oscar Clavarino, Jonathon adds to our depth and importantly is someone we think is ready to play if required."

Marsh previously spent three seasons at Collingwood Football Club before moving home to Western Australia at the end of 2016.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Excellent news. Can genuinely see him having a 100+ game career.

Will obviously be behind everyone in fitness for the first few months, but we're in dire straights in defence and he's every chance to play in Round 1.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

He's quick and tall. Think Buddy Franklin. He's an athletic beast and can mark pretty well too.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Crossy66
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2019 7:02pm He's quick and tall. Think Buddy Franklin. He's an athletic beast and can mark pretty well too.
fantastic! If he is as good as Buddy, i'll be happy :D

degruch
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2019 6:18pm Excellent news. Can genuinely see him having a 100+ game career.

Will obviously be behind everyone in fitness for the first few months, but we're in dire straights in defence and he's every chance to play in Round 1.
He might not be too far off, he would have been gearing up for a season in the VFL, wouldn't he? Was a better-than-good player for the Pies when he started, they weren't happy to see him leave...and subsequently tore it up in WA. I'm looking forward to seeing him. Adversity brings opportunity, lets hope our disastrous (possibly...I'm sweating on actual announcements before I hyperventilate) start to the season reaps some unexpected good news.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Crossy66 wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2019 7:19pm
WellardSaint wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2019 7:02pm He's quick and tall. Think Buddy Franklin. He's an athletic beast and can mark pretty well too.
Youtube: Jonathon Marsh highlights: Recruiter's edition.
Can't post link on my phone

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2019 7:31pm

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2019 8:42pm
:shock:
Looks more like a forward than a defender on those highlights.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2019 10:51pm
He has a reputation as a guy that likes to take the game on. Those highlights were juniors. Apparently he hasnt slowed down any and brakes the lines regular. In 2017 he averaged 28 possession in the midfield. Very versatile, very athletic and like Parker, desperate to have a crack. It looks like he could replace Roberton.
Id like to see him in the midfield.

Harves Man
Club Player

Boy can that man run. We need him. Urgently.

GilsAuPair
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2019 11:10pm
He has a reputation as a guy that likes to take the game on. Those highlights were juniors. Apparently he hasnt slowed down any and brakes the lines regular. In 2017 he averaged 28 possession in the midfield. Very versatile, very athletic and like Parker, desperate to have a crack. It looks like he could replace Roberton.
First of all he played WAFL in in 2017

I am all for giving blokes a 2nd chance - especially if he had some issues that curtailed his true potential.

Maybe a cold shower is in order....
Last edited by GilsAuPair on Fri 15 Mar 2019 12:37am, edited 1 time in total.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Marsh played as a backman...that probably explains why he has zero goals. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
GilsAuPair
Club Player

So can we finally now admit that Logan Austin is a bust?

GilsAuPair
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2019 11:55pm Marsh played as a backman...that probably explains why he has zero goals. :roll: :roll: :roll:
I know.

But I wasnt the one comparing him to Buddy Franklin was I.
Last edited by GilsAuPair on Fri 15 Mar 2019 12:35am, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

GilsAuPair wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2019 11:52pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 14 Mar 2019 11:10pm
He has a reputation as a guy that likes to take the game on. Those highlights were juniors. Apparently he hasnt slowed down any and brakes the lines regular. In 2017 he averaged 28 possessions in the midfield. Very versatile, very athletic and like Parker, desperate to have a crack. It looks like he could replace Roberton.
First of all he played VFL in in 2017

Second of all he has 0 goals from 15 AFL games. He is 23.

Buddy Franklin has 917 AFL goals.

Maybe a cold shower is in order....
He played WAFL in 2017 and averaged 28 possessions in the midfield at 21 years old. He is a tall utility with elite speed for his size and played 15 games for Collingwood as a defender. He was highly regarded as a future running half back before he retired.in 2016. That year at 20 years old, he played 10 of the last 11 games and kept Tyson Goldsack out of the team. Buddy Franklin? Cold shower? Hmmmm. Its late. You mlght be tired. Maybe some sleep?

GilsAuPair
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 12:25am
He played WAFL in 2017 and averaged 28 possessions in the midfield at 21 years old. He is a tall utility with elite speed for his size and played 15 games for Collingwood as a defender. He was highly regarded as a future running half back before he retired.in 2016. That year at 20 years old, he played 10 of the last 11 games and kept Tyson Goldsack out of the team. Buddy Franklin? Cold shower? Hmmmm. Its late. You mlght be tired. Maybe some sleep?
Happy to give him a go.

It was Wellard who mentioned Buddy (read above) - not me - hence my cold shower comment.

So no. I dont need sleep.

Perhaps try reading the thread before you get mouthy and cocky Adani boy.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

GilsAuPair wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 12:40am
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 12:25am
Happy to give him a go.

It was Wellard who mentioned Buddy (read above) - not me - hence my cold shower comment.

So no. I dont need sleep.

Perhaps try reading the thread before you get mouthy and cocky Adani boy.
Adani boy, lol. You're funny. 194 cm, very fast, evasive, good kick and great defensive skill. Maybe he might play on Buddy? Old Wellard could be on to something there.
Mouthy and cocky isnt my style. I was just reading through the forum, Im on leave and up late you see, and anyway I read a few of your posts and thought you might be tired but cant sleep. No problem. Have a great night.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Huge difference between WAFL and AFL so he will take time to adjust and get his fitness up so those hoping for a hail Mary should cool their jets for the time being. A lot of posters said similar things regarding Logan Austin as well eg great get could play just needs a fresh start, new team etc

With Roberton holding a presser this afternoon it is looking like we need a replacement as you rarely hold a presser at this stage to say I'm going to keep playing but don't put your hopes on Marsh,

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Funny how things turn out, happy about an 11th hour supplementary pick while sad a first draft pick fades from playing relevance; and the supp comes most recently from a club that signed Mav but not him. I am (as a desperate fan) glad Marsh has been signed and can only wonder if professional talent spotters do any better than an ordinary fan might. So Jono probably gave up a chance to play in a GF and fate has led him to join us. I wish him well and hope he still gets his GF gig.

ListManager
Club Player

We get rid of Goddard when he finally gets his body right and then we are so desperate for a KPD we just take anyone available. The <edited by mods> that are our recruiters have turned our club into a circus. Gold Coast and Carlton's list is better placed than ours. We will probably finish above them this year but both will overtake us next year

<1 week ban for abuse and demeaning Saints officials>

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
shrodes
SS Life Member

ListManager wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 8:50am We get rid of Goddard when he finally gets his body right and then we are so desperate for a KPD we just take anyone available. The Fuckwits that are our recruiters have turned our club into a circus. Gold Coast and Carlton's list is better placed than ours. We will probably finish above them this year but both will overtake us next year
Seems a bit disingenous. Everyone including meds though Roberton would be fine and I'm sure no one thought Carlisle's back injury would be as bad as it is

DJ Higgins
Club Player

ListManager wrote: Fri 15 Mar 2019 8:50am We get rid of Goddard when he finally gets his body right and then we are so desperate for a KPD we just take anyone available.
I watched goddard at sandy multiple times and he was poor at VFL level. He was slow, huge turning circle, not great with marking , I could go on. It was the right call to cut him. We have lost Oscar, carlisle most likely Roberton and brown for the first game, that's a lot to cover, any club would be struggling a bit.