Marshall

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Crossy66
Club Player

Re: Marshall

Saint wagga wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 1:08pm
saynta wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 12:00pm
guitars4 wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 11:17pm Can't do it on his own needs a chop out & I don't mean Acres, Bruce ,Long or Kent. It's a long season & it will end up wrecking him if he has to shoulder the entire work load.
We might not have won if Acres hadn't gone into the ruck. It juiced him up.
All this talk of Marshall needing a rest etc...just don’t get it, he’s 23 years old, not 19! We need to get as many games into him as fast as possible, so imo, unless injured, he plays every available game!

I simply cannot understand why Pierce has been unequivocally ditched after 1 x poor game and seemingly put into the not to play again barring injury basket!

This sort of selection policy on the run just stinks of knee jerk amateurism...the guy plays 1 x good game so we slap up a new contract for him, then he gets well beaten by a very good ruck in 1 game and he immediately gets dropped and banished!!

I look at how the doggies are sticking with young English in the ruck and you can just see it’s going to pay dividends, even though he’s getting a beating most weeks.

I believe Marshall is our best ruck/forward and think having a 2nd competent ruck would complement both Marshall and the next best ruck insert pierce or Longer, but to be honest Longer is beyond useless at afl level so that leaves pierce as no.2.
No question we want him playing every game, but playing ruck is brutal and more so when you are more athletically built like Marshall. A few corkies and knees in the ribs will slow him down!. I also think he is a very good forward, so would like to see us play another ruckman for more of the bang and crash stuff with Marshall 30/60/10 split maybe..
I'd rather see Acres play mid and Bruce THE key chf.

Legendary
Club Player

There's a stat in the AFL "clearances from stoppages".

Marshall is the equal 4th ranked in the AFL on this stat. The only players ahead of him are Josh Kelly, Patrick Cripps and Lachie Neale.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

stonecold wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 12:25am Did well, still squared the ledger with Big Ben, maybe, needs help!!!!!

Still a forward and 2nd Ruck for mine at this point, positive, however lot's of work to done!!!!!
Nah Stoney he's a number 1, still some development needed, granted.

He covers the ground like Ditterich and is skilled like Ditterich. Many remember Ditterich for his aggression, but he was also incredibly skilful and an amazing mark. He was as good as Baldock & Stewart. You need to let someone like Marshall loose around the ground. When his tank builds, he'll be devastating pushing forward. The thing I liked about his game was that McEvoy & Ceglar had him for strength, yet he worked out a way, he's a great competitor too.

Its tough for Billy, who I think could be in good knick. Saw the Sandy game against Footscray and he was covering the ground far better than last year. Unfortunately, I cannot see us playing both of them, our strength is our speed.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 8:31am
Jacks Back wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 11:37pm And to think Richardson didn't pick him in the first game. :roll:

lets ngive the hate richo another leg up for a fake story. Pierce was in front of him during the JLT and that was why he was picked first game.
I don't believe that. RoMa is way way way ahead of Pierce. As many have highlighted, Marshall is a footballer

We need 2 super fit footballers who can ruck going into next week against the Dees. I thought Bruce was pretty well held as a forward yesterday and perhaps wasn't working hard enough in the forward line when he held that position. I think because Bruce knew he needed some petrol in the tank to play in the ruck he wasn't as mobile as he should have been when he was at FF. Overall Acres was better and stood out but not sure if Acres can do the same against Dees rucks

I don't know if either Longer or Pierce are fit enough to run with Gawn all day. If the coaching staff have planned for Billy to be super fit and 100% ready to take on Gawn then he plays. As long as it was a plan to have him fit by round 5 and not a knee jerk reaction to both Preuss and Gawn in the same team, I'm happy with it. I reckon if not, then we give Bruce the job of helping out and make it a plan that he is just a decoy up forward and his main role is to ruck and give RoMa a chop out

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 8:42am
Jacks Back wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 11:37pm And to think Richardson didn't pick him in the first game. :roll:

lets ngive the hate richo another leg up for a fake story. Pierce was in front of him during the JLT and that was why he was picked first game.
That's what he's saying, how/why was anyone ahead if Marshall in round 1 or the jlt... from what we saw late last year and then the jlt, blind freddy coukd see Marshall should've played rd 1.
Agree, It was baffling that Marshall was overlooked for Rd 1 after what he showed towards the end of last season. Acres was overlooked, too, or maybe he was underdone, I don’t know.

Any case, it makes me wonder how good of a judge of footballer our coach is. Those two have talent, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 5:19pm

I don't believe that. RoMa is way way way ahead of Pierce. As many have highlighted, Marshall is a footballer

We need 2 super fit footballers who can ruck going into next week against the Dees. I thought Bruce was pretty well held as a forward yesterday and perhaps wasn't working hard enough in the forward line when he held that position. I think because Bruce knew he needed some petrol in the tank to play in the ruck he wasn't as mobile as he should have been when he was at FF. Overall Acres was better and stood out but not sure if Acres can do the same against Dees rucks

I don't know if either Longer or Pierce are fit enough to run with Gawn all day. If the coaching staff have planned for Billy to be super fit and 100% ready to take on Gawn then he plays. As long as it was a plan to have him fit by round 5 and not a knee jerk reaction to both Preuss and Gawn in the same team, I'm happy with it. I reckon if not, then we give Bruce the job of helping out and make it a plan that he is just a decoy up forward and his main role is to ruck and give RoMa a chop out
Let Melbourne play the 2 rucks and run them into the ground on the wide open spaces.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

In fact I'd have RoMa go wherever Gawn goes. If Gawn rests forward RoMa goes back with him. I reckon RoMa can compete aerially and will kill him on the ground.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Melbourne will play both Gawn and Preuss this week. We need a plan against these two

Hawks didn't know what to expect. The element of surprise isn't there with RoMa on his own. They will plan what to do if we only play Rowan and they may negate his influence.

Expect we won't have is at easy in the centre against Melbourne's mids so there will be lots of long kicks into their forward line that we need to defend. When Melbourne played Geelong they had Stanley who is a brilliant athlete and they had Ratagalea to give Stanley a chop out. We need a back up for Rowan. Bruce is the best option because he can also help out with both McDonald and Preuss playing forward. Bruce's role has to be to ruck and defend rather than be used as a tall forward

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

will we get Steven back?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Sun 14 Apr 2019 11:17pm Can't do it on his own needs a chop out & I don't mean Acres, Bruce ,Long or Kent. It's a long season & it will end up wrecking him if he has to shoulder the entire work load.
All this talk of Marshall needing a rest etc...just don’t get it, he’s 23 years old, not 19! We need to get as many games into him as fast as possible, so imo, unless injured, he plays every available game!

I simply cannot understand why Pierce has been unequivocally ditched after 1 x poor game and seemingly put into the not to play again barring injury basket!

This sort of selection policy on the run just stinks of knee jerk amateurism...the guy plays 1 x good game so we slap up a new contract for him, then he gets well beaten by a very good ruck in 1 game and he immediately gets dropped and banished!!

I look at how the doggies are sticking with young English in the ruck and you can just see it’s going to pay dividends, even though he’s getting a beating most weeks.

I believe Marshall is our best ruck/forward and think having a 2nd competent ruck would complement both Marshall and the next best ruck insert pierce or Longer, but to be honest Longer is beyond useless at afl level so that leaves pierce as no.2.
Good post. One point, I think ppl mean a rest for Marshall during games... e.g. 5min on the bench or like you I agree, sit him up forward for some of the time and give Pierce/Longer a go.

Don't think anybody wants to see him miss a game wihtout an injury

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

If we don't bring in Longer/Pearce as first ruck with Marshall forward and chopping out in the ruck then I reckon we need to put Battle forward and have Bruce as the chop out for Marshall.

Bruce and Membrey the only "talls" up forward is sort of working (3 wins) but I reckon that it would be better with that 3rd tall option with Kent then having a rest in the seconds (doesn't seem to be offering anything, is slow, appears fat and can't kick a goal).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Say Carslile comes back mid season, do you play him deep forward with a run in the ruck?
He's the best contested mark and set shot in the club.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Shaggy
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 10:01pm

Good post. One point, I think ppl mean a rest for Marshall during games... e.g. 5min on the bench or like you I agree, sit him up forward for some of the time and give Pierce/Longer a go.

Our young ruck, who is probably winning our B&F, should be rucking at least 70% of time. It is important for his development.

Some people do not see the difference between a lead up KPF and a drifting down ruck.

Some people would love Hickey to still be with us. I am so glad we had the balls to trade him out. Marshall has come into his own zone with the responsibility which is what you want. Risk reward.

Really gutsy from Richo to look to the future given his career is on the line.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Scollop wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 7:28pm I reckon Melbourne will play both Gawn and Preuss this week. We need a plan against these two

Hawks didn't know what to expect. The element of surprise isn't there with RoMa on his own. They will plan what to do if we only play Rowan and they may negate his influence.

Expect we won't have is at easy in the centre against Melbourne's mids so there will be lots of long kicks into their forward line that we need to defend. When Melbourne played Geelong they had Stanley who is a brilliant athlete and they had Ratagalea to give Stanley a chop out. We need a back up for Rowan. Bruce is the best option because he can also help out with both McDonald and Preuss playing forward. Bruce's role has to be to ruck and defend rather than be used as a tall forward
They may anticipate that we're bringing Longer in, given we sent Marshall forward in the final quarter. All the more reason to play just Marshall. Ii they get cute and play Gawn more as a permanent forward whilst Preuss rucks, which would present a difficult match up, RoMa would just play as a tall defender on Gawn, perhaps releasing Battle forward.

We'd concede the hitouts, as you generally do against Gawn and have Acres running around unattended.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Mon 15 Apr 2019 11:23pm

Our young ruck, who is probably winning our B&F, should be rucking at least 70% of time. It is important for his development.

Some people do not see the difference between a lead up KPF and a drifting down ruck.

Some people would love Hickey to still be with us. I am so glad we had the balls to trade him out. Marshall has come into his own zone with the responsibility which is what you want. Risk reward.

I think most ppl plainly saw that Marshall and Pierce should have played more last season but it wasn’t until both Hickey and Longer went down that Marshall got a sustained shot.

He really should have played 10 or so more games last year instead that time was pumped into Hickey... who played the most of any of our rucks over three years only to be traded out.

Most ppl here could see that Hickey and Longer weren’t the answer. I don’t mind Hickey going but having a weak ruck division then trading out without bringing anything in has led us to play one young ruck and a midfielder as his back up.
I don’t personally see that as a solution even though I’ve suggested for a while that Marshall should be our focus

Shaggy
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 12:06am

I think most ppl plainly saw that Marshall and Pierce should have played more last season but it wasn’t until both Hickey and Longer went down that Marshall got a sustained shot.

He really should have played 10 or so more games last year instead that time was pumped into Hickey... who played the most of any of our rucks over three years only to be traded out.

Most ppl here could see that Hickey and Longer weren’t the answer. I don’t mind Hickey going but having a weak ruck division then trading out without bringing anything in has led us to play one young ruck and a midfielder as his back up.
I don’t personally see that as a solution even though I’ve suggested for a while that Marshall should be our focus
Even today you want Marshall to pinch ruck lol. IMO you do not get it.

Richo kicked out Holmes who was great for a tap-out but not much else.

We managed to get the AFL to agree Pierce can play at Frankston so that he can play ruck 70% of time.

Which meant Marshall can play ruck 70% of time for Sandy.

Its called development.

Both Longer and Hickey are superior physically. Marshall needs more kilos. But he is the future. You want him to play forward which is just unbelievable IMO.

I am so glad Richo had the balls to trade Hickey. We would be at least 2 games down otherwise IMO.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 12:42am

We managed to get the AFL to agree Pierce can play at Frankston so that he can play ruck 70% of time.

Its called development.

Both Longer and Hickey are superior physically. Marshall needs more kilos. But he is the future. You want him to play forward which is just unbelievable IMO.

I am so glad Richo had the balls to trade Hickey. We would be at least 2 games down otherwise IMO.
What I want is for him to have proper support in the ruck.

I can’t see a way to do that with our current ruck stocks that doesn’t involve him at least spending some time up forward.

And to be clear, I was advocating for Marshall to play in the ruck last year whilst the majority here and Richo I might add kept alternating btw Hickey and Longer.

Who do you have playing ruck for 30% of the time as you put?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Tue 16 Apr 2019 12:42am

Its called development.

So in the scheme of things, last year was a development year and everything Richo and the club said in early 2018 regarding finals was just a fib