Bassat, Ratts, Lade & Billy!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

takeaway
Club Player

Re: Bassat, Ratts, Lade & Billy!

The days of just blaming the head coach are now outdated and simplistic. As far as performance on the ground is concerned, the buck does stop with the head coach, and all coaches have a limited tenure, but a football club is now a complicated organisation, and there are often better moves than just sacking the head man. Hardwick & Buckley are examples. 2016 & 17 showed that Richo can coach, and there were a lot of issues that didn't go right in 2018. I think the club have done the right thing in bringing in more support for Richo.

The article below outlines the role of the head coach nowadays and imo is quite an interesting read.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-16/ ... s/10814862

"Just as no two coaching roles are the same, there's no one-size-fits-all coaching prototype.

Some coaches excel in human relationships, others have a nose for wheeling and dealing, and then there are the tacticians and strategists.

Few will excel in all areas
." - I reckon Richo is more the human relationships type coach, and Ratts more the tactician, so you have a good combination. I think SaintPav earlier said Richo was now more of a Director of Coaching - probably not far off the mark and imo suits him.
Working well at the moment, and unlikely to change at least for this year.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 11:50am
Cairnsman wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 11:46am
saintkid wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 11:36am
Cairnsman wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 10:59am
saintkid wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 9:47am Proud of the way the club is going so far this year and the team selections finally shows logic and continuity after 5 rounds but seriously, how do you explain some of the strange team selections that went on last year?
Richo's managing of the team in 2018 was a joke to say the least and his bland, boring persona equally as bad. I still have great reservations about him as our head coach but glad the club has brought in Ratten and a couple of others to breathe some life and hope into the list and more importantly, belief into the players. That is what stands out the most in the team this year, which is great to see.
Your claims of the management being a joke are ignorant to the enormous challenges faced in 2018.

Firslty count the signficant experience and knowledge base that retired and walked out the door en masse the previous season. This event alone would have stretched any manager and is why the club realised it couldn't blame Alan alone for this issue and recognised it had to replace that support around Alan.

Then the perfect storm happened, a significant injury list grew that included significant and vitally important players from the best 22.

Then throw in some other niggles like the move and settling in back to Moorabbin and some of the staff changes.

There were a lot of balls up in the air so team selections were challenging. Blind Freddy could see that and thankfully Blind Freddy took a deep breath.

Free thinking comes from balanced and objective assessment of all the information, not just what you read in the Herald Sun.
My comments have come from balanced and objective assessment of all the information. The continued playing of Weller and a few others and the merry go round playing and dropping of some of the younger listed players in 2018 was strange to say the least and I stand by that. There was no continuity in team selection last year, irrespective of injuries, as you claim. This year there have also been a number of injuries to key players but team selection has not make me confused or bewildered like the weekly show in 2018. Mentoring and developing new talent has been quite substandard on the part of Richardson to date. In my opinion, his long-term signing was short-sighted and he isn't the best option as head coach. Thank goodness management saw the need to get Ratten and a few other experienced heads to help him this year.
I could spend time deconstructing your post sentence by sentence to further illustrate my previous point about your ignorance but I'm confident it is self explanatory.
if you could you would...Just say you're wrong and move along
Remember the old days when all you had to do was point to the score board.

You'd remember for sure.

Crossy66
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 11:20am
Crossy66 wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 10:50am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 10:08am
Cairnsman wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 9:20am
Enrico_Misso wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 1:34am Many of us have been critical of how the team was coached last year - including Richo himself.

Hard to say if the obvious improvement this year is due to
- the new assistants
- or Richo evolving
- or the players maturing
- or the addition of new players
- or improved fitness
- or some or all of the above

But three things are clear
- we are playing well and improving each week
- there is a real sense of team spirit and belief
- the playing group respect Richo

So let's put an end to all this talk of Richo being sacked.
Last season is ancient history.

We are on a new and exciting journey.
Let's unite behind the group and ride it out together.
Bloody well said. I'll say it agian: our poor showing in 2018 wasn't all Alan's fault despite some foramites valiantly and relentlessly trying to convince us otherwise. How wrong they were.

The sum of all parts to quote a cliche is what makes successful footy teams and Blind Freddy could see a few levers needed pulling. Thankfully calm heads prevailed within the admin.

Just so proud of how the club navigated through 2018 to now.

FQF.
So 5 years at 33% wasn’t Richo’s fault? He was just along for the ride and had no control :roll:

The real test for the club and the Richo believers will be at the end of the season when a few clubs are looking for a head coach and come knocking Ratten’s way. Do we just let him walk and trust that Richo is all of a sudden a master coach?
Gotta love Stats!
Heres another way to look at it.
2016 54.5%
2017 50.0 %
2019 80%
Thats a record comparable to many. So you'd agree at this level he is going ok? so 3 of his six years have been OK?

No doubt 2018 was a car crash and he has duly copped a kicking for it, but it could end up being an aberration.( like Hardwick in 2016 with 36%)
Richo's first year at 18.2% drags down the stat, but then again he took over a team that was 3rd last and falling having off loaded stars due to salary cap issues such as Goddard and Dal.

In my view, Richo is a far better coach now than when he started. Its not unreasonable that people can get better at their job with more experience is it.?
If you look at Hardwick by comparison:
2010 - 27.27%
2011 - 38.64%
2016 - 36.36%

Not exactly Alan Jeans territory either.
Fair to say a large chunk of Richmond supporters wanted him gone with two board challenges making his sacking a key plank going forward.
The point is, its possible that a first year inexperienced senior coach can get better over time.
There are no excuses for Alan now, he has done his apprenticeship, has got the support and is expected to get results.
Theres more to a story than skewed stats!
C’mon dude, surely you understand cherry-picking stats to suit your argument isn’t the best way to do business!

I could say look at 2014, 2015 and 2018, Richo’s winning percentage is 21%!!!

5 years and 100+ games coached is quite a large sample size to be drawing from. Over that time he’s going at 33% and no finals. He peaked in the middle so you couldn’t even say it was trending upwards. 2014 we had 4 wins, 2018 we had 4.5 wins. So after 5 years we had half a win of improvement.

5 years is enough time to build YOUR list and YOUR team around you. Look at what our other recent long serving coaches achieved in 5 years.

And the most damning thing in my eyes is that after five years the club has had to basically rebuild Richo and the whole off field department from the ground up, which seems to me like admitting the past 5 years have been an absolute failure, and if we could afford it he would be gone.

And just a note, I’m not saying Richo is a bad bloke or doesn’t know football, just that this job is not for him.
"C’mon dude, surely you understand cherry-picking stats to suit your argument isn’t the best way to do business"

My point exactly, you can cut and dice or cherry pick stats anyway you like to support an argument. For instance if you have a look at the% STATS for the last 4 years (including 2019), Richo is running at 50.68% and I would argue that sample is most recent and more value than what he achieved in his first 2 years. Same applies for Hardwick.
The club by its actions have decided he didnt have enough or didnt have the right support, so they went out and got it.
There are too many other variables than to use stats as the measurement of a coaches performance.
Anyway, my issue is that why when the club is up and about and enjoying some success do people still want to find something negative? Why keep banging on about the coach? At this stage, he is doing ok and he keeps his job. If it all goes south he doesnt.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 12:21pm

You'd remember for sure.
sure do..I'm pointing at it right now.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 12:46pm
Cairnsman wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 12:21pm

You'd remember for sure.
sure do..I'm pointing at it right now.
Says well done for turning things around Alan. The results don't lie. Loving the underdog is Saints.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 12:35pm
Enrico_Misso wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 1:34am Many of us have been critical of how the team was coached last year - including Richo himself.

- the new assistants
- or Richo evolving
- or improved fitness

Bloody well said. I'll say it agian: our poor showing in 2018 wasn't all Alan's fault despite some foramites valiantly and relentlessly trying to convince us otherwise. How wrong they were.

The sum of all parts to quote a cliche is what makes successful footy teams and Blind Freddy could see a few levers needed pulling. Thankfully calm heads prevailed within the admin.

FQF.
So 5 years at 33% wasn’t Richo’s fault? He was just along for the ride and had no control :roll:

The real test for the club and the Richo believers will be at the end of the season when a few clubs are looking for a head coach and come knocking Ratten’s way. Do we just let him walk and trust that Richo is all of a sudden a master coach?
Gotta love Stats!
2016 54.5%
2017 50.0 %
2019 80%
Thats a record comparable to many. So you'd agree at this level he is going ok? so 3 of his six years have been OK?

No doubt 2018 was a car crash and he has duly copped a kicking for it, but it could end up being an aberration.( like Hardwick in 2016 with 36%)
Richo's first year at 18.2% drags down the stat, but then again he took over a team that was 3rd last and falling having off loaded stars due to salary cap issues such as Goddard and Dal.

In my view, Richo is a far better coach now than when he started. Its not unreasonable that people can get better at their job with more experience is it.?
2010 - 27.27%
2011 - 38.64%
2016 - 36.36%

Fair to say a large chunk of Richmond supporters wanted him gone with two board challenges making his sacking a key plank going forward.
The point is, its possible that a first year inexperienced senior coach can get better over time.
There are no excuses for Alan now, he has done his apprenticeship, has got the support and is expected to get results.
C’mon dude, surely you understand cherry-picking stats to suit your argument isn’t the best way to do business!

5 years and 100+ games coached is quite a large sample size to be drawing from. Over that time he’s going at 33% and no finals. He peaked in the middle so you couldn’t even say it was trending upwards. 2014 we had 4 wins, 2018 we had 4.5 wins. So after 5 years we had half a win of improvement.

5 years is enough time to build YOUR list and YOUR team around you. Look at what our other recent long serving coaches achieved in 5 years.

And the most damning thing in my eyes is that after five years the club has had to basically rebuild Richo and the whole off field department from the ground up, which seems to me like admitting the past 5 years have been an absolute failure, and if we could afford it he would be gone.

And just a note, I’m not saying Richo is a bad bloke or doesn’t know football, just that this job is not for him.
"C’mon dude, surely you understand cherry-picking stats to suit your argument isn’t the best way to do business"

My point exactly, you can cut and dice or cherry pick stats anyway you like to support an argument. For instance if you have a look at the% STATS for the last 4 years (including 2019), Richo is running at 50.68% and I would argue that sample is most recent and more value than what he achieved in his first 2 years. Same applies for Hardwick.
The club by its actions have decided he didnt have enough or didnt have the right support, so they went out and got it.
There are too many other variables than to use stats as the measurement of a coaches performance.
Anyway, my issue is that why when the club is up and about and enjoying some success do people still want to find something negative? Why keep banging on about the coach? At this stage, he is doing ok and he keeps his job. If it all goes south he doesnt.
I think you’re cherry picking again, but I also think we’re just going to go round in circles!

I don’t think you can say “if I take away the worst years look how good his record is!”. Look at his 5 years before they brought in Ratten and the rest to prop him up. I don’t know how people can defend that record? Every coach has a first year, every coach has injuries and hurdles to deal with. Look at Alves first 5 years, look at GT’s, look at Lyon’s.

And the comparison to Buckley and Hardwick is another disingenuous one. Both of them had played multiple years of finals before the ‘overhaul’. Richo has gone 18th, 14th, 9th, 11th, 16th.

My fear is we’re going to lose the ones at the club making the difference to other clubs and be stuck with ol’ 33% Richo at the end of it.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

James Hird works with Joey Montagna on TripleM footy

Just heard a segment where Hird gave his top 5 influential people in the current teams sitting in the top 8

The other panel members have been ribbing Hirdy about his lack of preperation and Joey has been assisting him with other discussions and he also went with Joey's suggestion for the Number 1 here....

Number 5 was Dylan Shiel

Number 4 Nathan Fyfe

Number 3 Jordan De Goey

Number 2 Paddy Dangerfield

and drumroll.....Number 1 most influential person: Alan Richardson

Hird made clear that he wasn't confident that St Kilda would be there at the pointy end of the season but still came up with Cho as number 1 after admitting that he agrees with Joey on what a wondrful job Cho has done so far

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 2:59pm James Hird works with Joey Montagna on TripleM footy

Just heard a segment where Hird gave his top 5 influential people in the current teams sitting in the top 8

The other panel members have been ribbing Hirdy about his lack of preperation and Joey has been assisting him with other discussions and he also went with Joey's suggestion for the Number 1 here....

Number 5 was Dylan Shiel

Number 4 Nathan Fyfe

Number 3 Jordan De Goey

Hird made clear that he wasn't confident that St Kilda would be there at the pointy end of the season but still came up with Cho as number 1 after admitting that he agrees with Joey on what a wondrful job Cho has done so far
drugs will do that.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 2:59pm James Hird works with Joey Montagna on TripleM footy

Number 5 was Dylan Shiel

Number 4 Nathan Fyfe

Number 3 Jordan De Goey

His name is Alan Richardson, or Richo for short. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Crossy66
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 2:56pm

- the new assistants
- or Richo evolving
- or improved fitness

FQF.

Gotta love Stats!
2016 54.5%
2017 50.0 %
2019 80%

2010 - 27.27%
2011 - 38.64%
2016 - 36.36%

I think you’re cherry picking again, but I also think we’re just going to go round in circles!

I don’t think you can say “if I take away the worst years look how good his record is!”. Look at his 5 years before they brought in Ratten and the rest to prop him up. I don’t know how people can defend that record? Every coach has a first year, every coach has injuries and hurdles to deal with. Look at Alves first 5 years, look at GT’s, look at Lyon’s.

And the comparison to Buckley and Hardwick is another disingenuous one. Both of them had played multiple years of finals before the ‘overhaul’. Richo has gone 18th, 14th, 9th, 11th, 16th.

My fear is we’re going to lose the ones at the club making the difference to other clubs and be stuck with ol’ 33% Richo at the end of it.
Dont agree. I'm saying take away what happened 6 and 5 years ago and look at last 4 years and it paints a better picture. I didnt compare him to Buckley, just Hardwick who went at 27% and 36% in his first two years - nothing disingenuous there! You just cant compare what GT and Lyon had at their disposal, in GT's case, probably under performed with THAT list hence why relying on stats is flawed.
I know you've painted yourself into a corner with that nic, so just change it and come over to the positive side :D

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 3:34pm

- the new assistants
- or Richo evolving
- or improved fitness

FQF.

Gotta love Stats!
2016 54.5%
2017 50.0 %
2019 80%

2010 - 27.27%
2011 - 38.64%
2016 - 36.36%

Dont agree. I'm saying take away what happened 6 and 5 years ago and look at last 4 years and it paints a better picture. I didnt compare him to Buckley, just Hardwick who went at 27% and 36% in his first two years - nothing disingenuous there! You just cant compare what GT and Lyon had at their disposal, in GT's case, probably under performed with THAT list hence why relying on stats is flawed.
I know you've painted yourself into a corner with that nic, so just change it and come over to the positive side :D
Haha, believe me I’m very positive, just don’t want to see us lose the likes of Ratten at the end of the year (like we lost Bevo) who I think has made the difference this year.

And the nic has been around long before Richo and will be around long after, there’s always someone willing to take up the mantle :mrgreen:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Crossy66
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 4:08pm
Crossy66 wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 3:34pm

- the new assistants
- or Richo evolving
- or improved fitness

FQF.

Gotta love Stats!
2016 54.5%
2017 50.0 %
2019 80%

2010 - 27.27%
2011 - 38.64%
2016 - 36.36%

Haha, believe me I’m very positive, just don’t want to see us lose the likes of Ratten at the end of the year (like we lost Bevo) who I think has made the difference this year.

And the nic has been around long before Richo and will be around long after, there’s always someone willing to take up the mantle :mrgreen:
100%. Has been one of the best recruits this season

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Mon 22 Apr 2019 9:47am Proud of the way the club is going so far this year and the team selections finally shows logic and continuity after 5 rounds but seriously, how do you explain some of the strange team selections that went on last year?
Richo's managing of the team in 2018 was a joke to say the least and his bland, boring persona equally as bad. I still have great reservations about him as our head coach but glad the club has brought in Ratten and a couple of others to breathe some life and hope into the list and more importantly, belief into the players. That is what stands out the most in the team this year, which is great to see.
Great post. Nathan Brown agrees with you, but obviously in a diplomatic way without associating anything negative surrounding the head coach

""We've got a couple of new, highly experienced coaches. They've tinkered with our game plan. Defensively, we're playing as a team and we're all connected."

https://www.saints.com.au/news/2019-04- ... ey-to-rise

Take note that one of those adjectives describing the coaches is the word 'new'. If it's good enough for the players to give credit to 'new' coaches, then who are we to argue? I reckon no mattter what sort of changes Richo made over summer in terms of leadership or knowledge, the team would not have improved without Lade and Ratten.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Having a fit Bruce in the forward line has helped team balance hugely (hope is not out injured this week). I don't think Richo has suddenly become a different coach, more than likely everyone else brought in to cover the deficiencies in the coaching area..

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

There has been a dramatic "adjustment" to the game plan and the way we:
- deliver the ball to the forwards
- work as a solid team down back
- play more to our strengths in the mid-field, including putting Billings in open space to play to his strengths
- kick for goal
Many changes have come from the development of a game plan that we have consistently followed. The focus on talls Marshall and Bruce etc. and the input of "new" players and coaches - seem to have triggered the renaissance that we are all thoroughly enjoying. I am hoping all of this stands up against some top teams soon. Loving the season so far! :-)
Compliments can go to EVERYONE - including Richo for listening to his new assistants and being flexible enough to change what was a quite random, suddenly switching and desperately patchy game plan - at best!
The injuries seem also to have placed to right players onto the park, strangely!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

1. I also think it has suited us not to have the runners coming out with messages every 2 minutes. It's forced our young leaders to stand up at exactly the moment they're ready to (not the case for every developing club). Plus -
2. We've got over losing Roo and Joey who were so dominant and - let's face it - pretty bossy! so all our leaders have come through together and feel themselves on an equal footing with one another. And -
3. Billings is in the leadership group. Perfect timing. Exactly when he's ready to take responsibility, he's given some.

"Ripeness is all."