Changes vs GWS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Kilda
Club Player

Re: Changes vs GWS

I don’t share this DMac bashing. I think he’s a ripper. Can take a strong contested mark, is as courageous as Geary, and gets the job done. Someone referred to his disposal. Well take a look first at Luke Dunstan and Seb Ross- both who lack precision disposal by foot.

Surely, Robbie Young gets his chance and replaces Lonie.

Kent is way too inconsistent and last night was missing in action. 🤔

The worry for mine is we desperately need a third tall forward. And not sure who we can call upon? Max King is an obvious long term option but apart from him and possibly using Marshall up forward more often, I see no other options from our list. If Bruce or Membrey were to succumb to injury, I think we could be found out. Maybe we’ll need to turn to the mid-season draft?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Coniglio and Whitfield are under a cloud for next week...

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
spert
Saintsational Legend

In fairness to Kent, he's not a main target in the forward line. Membrey and Bruce are the KPPs and didn't contribute much at all- Membrey didn't hold a few marks he probably should have. We do though need more input from the forward line- Parker gave it all, but only a patchy effort from Long and Kent..though the endless bombing and crap disposal didn't help the forwards.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately, I think we’re going to need Longer because of the Mumford factor. But certainly not at Marshall’s expense. That can not happen.

Crows dominated us in the air and Giants have potential to do the same.

Hopefully Bruce comes up. Richo seemed to think he would.

In: Marshall, Hunter Clark (to play Lonie role)
Out: Kent/Long, Lonie (inj)

King12
Club Player

HI everyone, first post, Marshall and Young in for Lonie and Kent, I think we need to play Longer this week, with Marshall to start forward, we need someone to catch it down there.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Changes?
One change could be how our forwards present so we're not monstered in our F50.
We got it done against BabyPoo n Cheeseboarders...
Dermie, get crackin

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 1:59pm

Not harsher but have higher expectations.
Why does Kent get a free pass due to lower expectations? Kent is a year older and has been in the AFL system 2 years longer. Both have played about the same number of games.
older saint wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 1:59pm Was poor against Essendon
Poor?
He had 9 tackles and had 4 inside 50 entries.
Only 13 disposals, BUT 10 of them were contested.

For the year he has laid 33 tackles and has a high % of contested possessions each game.

The role that I see he has been given this year is to do a lot more of the hard stuff and less of outside stuff that used to be is role. He winning the ball back for us.

Kent has had only 9 tackles for the year, the same quantity that Sinclair laid in what you rate as a poor game.

Of the two players I know which one I believe to have been working really hard each game.
older saint wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 1:59pm and Fremantle so to me is 50/50 at best in regard to performance expected from someone with 70 games experience.
Not saying should be dropped but needs to lift IMO
Most players need to lift. However overall Sinclair IMO has had a reasonable year.

I think that Kent needs to lift a lot more than Sinclair does.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 3:13pm Unfortunately, I think we’re going to need Longer because of the Mumford factor.

Longer got towelled up by a newbie.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
King12
Club Player

Won't be many changes as there was no VFL game.

King12
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 4:17pm
bigcarl wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 3:13pm Unfortunately, I think we’re going to need Longer because of the Mumford factor.

Longer got towelled up by a newbie.
Not really, far from our worst, we have to look after Marshall, Mumford will use him to beat up on physically if he has to go it alone.

saint6709
Club Player

Kent OUT sorry can’t make those capitals any more capital - O U T
Longer OUT - hopefully forever - no offence — actually besides some absolute howlers went for and took a couple of marks amd was probably one of his better games - BUT is not a player likely to be picked ina top 4 team - I’m astounded he was a top 10 pick - when I watch him I just think this guy can win some taps but he is not a footballer - seems to have no footy ability and is certainly in the old school dinosaur style, that I don’t think we need to persvere with
Lonie - injured
Bruce - if not fully fit - DONT PLAY injured players !!!

King12
Club Player

saint6709 wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 10:48pm Kent OUT sorry can’t make those capitals any more capital - O U T
Longer OUT - hopefully forever - no offence — actually besides some absolute howlers went for and took a couple of marks amd was probably one of his better games - BUT is not a player likely to be picked ina top 4 team - I’m astounded he was a top 10 pick - when I watch him I just think this guy can win some taps but he is not a footballer - seems to have no footy ability and is certainly in the old school dinosaur style, that I don’t think we need to persvere with
Lonie - injured
Every club plays injured players, also Marsh is not ready, so who would you have bought in then?

Not only was Longer a Top 10 pick, but also a Vic Metro captain, so, go figure.

saint6709
Club Player

King12 wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 11:01pm
saint6709 wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 10:48pm Kent OUT sorry can’t make those capitals any more capital - O U T
Lonie - injured
Every club plays injured players, also Marsh is not ready, so who would you have bought in then?

Not only was Longer a Top 10 pick, but also a Vic Metro captain, so, go figure.
I don’t know who I would have played -I would need to know more and think hard about it - hopefully the selectors know more than me and think hard about it - but Bruce was clearly a long way off being at his best - so why play him ?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 12:58pm Bit concerned about how Brown played yesterday- big guy, experienced, but just seemed to be in the wrong position too many times and let the Crows forwards get a few too many easy approaches at marking contests. Battle is still learning and will only get better. Might be worth a big punt and bring the mobile Marsh in to run with Cameron- if the guy was selected as an emergency for the Crows game, then he's ready to go IMO. The midfield needs a reality check after yesterday, and maybe Dunstan returns for Sinclair, Lonie out for Hind, and Marshall back for Longer, and Bruce out for Marsh.
I think Marsh could end up a very good piece of recruiting but to throw a guy who hasn’t played AFL in 4 years??? to play on the games best current key forward would be a lamb to the slaughter.

Has to be Brown or Battle, assume it will be the latter.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
outside66
Club Player

OUT

Lonie, Bruce, Kent

IN

Hind for Lonie, Marshall (replace Bruce and provide relief for Billy), Clark/Dunstan for Kent

I know Hind has been playing out of defense but it would be interesting to see whether he has the capacity to play as a quick pressure forward.

I don't think Billy was disgraced given it was his first match in a while and I think with Brucie having a spell, now would be a good opportunity to test the two-rucks theory.

Kent was down on form and if we weren't playing the Dee's last weekend, I think he would've been dropped. He's had some good moments in every game but not for 4 quarters. His game was very poor on the weekend and especially after losing Lonie, a player of his experience (and position) needed to lift but he didn't. I reckon we looked like we were one-mid down all game so Clark/Dunstan could come in and beef things up a little bit.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Hind & Young in. Hind to rotate from the bench as a burst player to assist our small defenders and defensive wings.

Young straight into the forward line, I believe he, Parker and Long can motivate each other and become quite formidable as they share slightly similar backgrounds, all late starters to a degree.

Marshall is a must, flexibility is the key to him. Just stay away from Mumfords knees. Forget winning hitouts in 2019, we do not have a ruck on our list capable of that this year, so we must be mobile in the middle and try to minimise the opponents advantage.

I'd like Clark in because he's taller, tackles and uses the ball well. Can play in the middle and kick goals. GWS have taller mids and Clark is at least defensively minded.

OUT: Lonie, Kent, Longer, Sinclair (unlucky to a degree but 2019 is about building our youth & getting games into them - hopefully we see games put into White, Coffield, Langlands, Clavarino through the year)

degruch
Saintsational Legend

With Lonie out I can't see us dropping Kent.

With Mummy in I can't see us dropping Longer.

Bruce, Lonie out.
Marshall, Young in.

Special
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 4:01pm Changes?
One change could be how our forwards present so we're not monstered in our F50.
We got it done against BabyPoo n Cheeseboarders...
Dermie, get crackin
Not having Bruce who couldn’t move will help

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Out: Anyone that can't train during the week unless you are Buddy Franklin

In : Fully fit players like Clark, Dunny, Armo, White, Young etc.

Marshall comes in if fit and Longer stays in to take on Mummy in the centre bounces

Crossy66
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 4:05pm Out: Anyone that can't train during the week unless you are Buddy Franklin

In : Fully fit players like Clark, Dunny, Armo, White, Young etc.

Marshall comes in if fit and Longer stays in to take on Mummy in the centre bounces
100%

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Whitfield and Coniglio probably won't play. That helps a lot. Even Davis might not be right.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Id be inclined to just back Marshall. He handled rhe melbourne tag team and his real value is that extra mid presence. If hes fit i would seriously just get him to exploit Mumford around the ground.

Our mids should get a big rocket when they review.

Bruce should be ok.

Ins: marshall, young. (maybe Clark)
Out: Lonie, Longer.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Kilda wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 2:12pm I don’t share this DMac bashing. I think he’s a ripper. Can take a strong contested mark, is as courageous as Geary, and gets the job done. Someone referred to his disposal. Well take a look first at Luke Dunstan and Seb Ross- both who lack precision disposal by foot.

Surely, Robbie Young gets his chance and replaces Lonie.

Kent is way too inconsistent and last night was missing in action. 🤔

The worry for mine is we desperately need a third tall forward. And not sure who we can call upon? Max King is an obvious long term option but apart from him and possibly using Marshall up forward more often, I see no other options from our list. If Bruce or Membrey were to succumb to injury, I think we could be found out. Maybe we’ll need to turn to the mid-season draft?
Mckenzie was the only StKilda player to receive a coaches vote.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Sun 28 Apr 2019 2:21pm Coniglio and Whitfield are under a cloud for next week...
..and so will the whole team, both teams.

The weather for Canberra is rain Friday/Saturday. 4 degrees overnight. I wonder whether that is in our favor and whether ground level scrappers will be favored in selection?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 29 Apr 2019 9:21pm Whitfield and Coniglio probably won't play. That helps a lot. Even Davis might not be right.
Looks like they’re all playing.

Who would have figured?!

🤷🏽‍♂️

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.