Poor Paddy: Season Over (career, too?)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Re: Poor Paddy: Season Over (career, too?)

spert wrote: Wed 01 May 2019 12:25pm I played footy years ago with a guy who got a couple of big knocks to the head, and thought that's enough, and gave footy away. I really think that is the sensible move.
I stopped playing in my late teens after the last time I woke up looking at the sky with people looking down at me asking me if I could hear them?? Being helped from the ground and not really feeling "connected" to the world is a disturbing thing to go through, so whilst every concussion is not like that, being completely knocked out (as Paddy has been a few times) is frightening. If I was able at a schoolboy level many years ago to figure out that it probably wasn't good for my ongoing health to be knocked out regularly, then Paddy has no excuses. I understand it is his career at stake, and a lifetime dream, but so much more is known about the effects of concussion these days (and frighteningly, so much is not known). Given the amount of concussions Paddy has already suffered, I cannot believe he has not already called time........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Paddy update.

Latest round of tests showing significant improvement though Paddy still experiencing some headaches. Experts state concussion not related to diabetes. Paddy wants to play this season, saints not convinced.

Paddy & GF have bought a house and he is in decent space mentally with good support from his and GF family.

Paddy will not retire and the club coming around to the idea of him playing next year but sitting out this season.

He is working hard on fitness and diet.
AFL are not involved in trying to get him to retire.

Hope the guy gets another shot at it.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

If I were Paddy I’d start running marathons, no excuse for not being the fittest player in the AFL.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Bruce G McAbee
SS Hall of Fame

In all honesty, we really shouldn't the bullet and let both Paddy and Robbo go and elevate 2 rookies.
It is sad yes, but it is the most sensible thing to do.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
older saint
SS Life Member

Perhaps all the experts on the keyboards should just sit back and wait to see what the Neurosurgeons and doctors recommend for McCartin in regard to whether or not he continues playing football, because all everyone else is doing is guessing.

Bruce G McAbee
SS Hall of Fame

older saint wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 5:36pm Perhaps all the experts on the keyboards should just sit back and wait to see what the Neurosurgeons and doctors recommend for McCartin in regard to whether or not he continues playing football, because all everyone else is doing is guessing.
If he was your kid and had 8 concussions what would you think.
The fact that it wasn't that hard a knock and he hasn't recovered in 10 weeks is telling.
The only sensible thing to do is to retire him for his own well being.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
older saint
SS Life Member

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 5:51pm
older saint wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 5:36pm Perhaps all the experts on the keyboards should just sit back and wait to see what the Neurosurgeons and doctors recommend for McCartin in regard to whether or not he continues playing football, because all everyone else is doing is guessing.
The fact that it wasn't that hard a knock and he hasn't recovered in 10 weeks is telling.
If it was my kid i would listen to the experts who have years of study and experience on the matter.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 12:48pm
If it was my kid i would listen to the experts who have years of study and experience on the matter.
There was a time when experts used to recommend bleeding with leeches and doctors used to recommend smoking to ease stress......

IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Club Player

there was a time when concussion didn't seem to matter.
remember the old boxing term "glass jaw", well some seem to have a greater effect from blows to the head than others. Young Brayshaw seems to have managed his issues. Paddy may figure out how to do the same.
The kid deserves some luck (as do we as Saints supporters)

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
older saint
SS Life Member

True Believer wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 1:55pm
There was a time when experts used to recommend bleeding with leeches and doctors used to recommend smoking to ease stress......
Ok so what you are essentially saying is you know better than a doctor or neurosurgeon regardless of what occupation or expertise you have. Must be great to know so much about everything

ace
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 2:40pm
Ok so what you are essentially saying is you know better than a doctor or neurosurgeon regardless of what occupation or expertise you have. Must be great to know so much about everything
Hey all those Arts and Law graduates, Greenies, GetUp, know better about how to make reliable electricity than this retired electrical engineer.
They know that they know everything about everything.
Why would you pay attention to doctors.

See my footnote below

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

6621104 wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 2:03pm there was a time when concussion didn't seem to matter.
remember the old boxing term "glass jaw", well some seem to have a greater effect from blows to the head than others. Young Brayshaw seems to have managed his issues. Paddy may figure out how to do the same.
The kid deserves some luck (as do we as Saints supporters)
Stupid comparison. Brayshaw has “managed” his issues by not getting knocked out again since his return.

For an inside/head over the ball mid who’s crazy brave... that’s complete luck rather than management.

Brayshaw also suffered fewer concussions than Paddy prior to his extended break.

Make no mistake - Brayshaw is one serious knock away from being in the same boat.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Paddy''s career never got going. He was been gifted games early he didnt deserve and has done nothing in the games played - its time the club forced him to retire for his own well being. Plus so he and the club can move on.

twirlyhair
Club Player

ace wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 2:53pm
Hey all those Arts and Law graduates, Greenies, GetUp, know better about how to make reliable electricity than this retired electrical engineer.
They know that they know everything about everything.
Why would you pay attention to doctors.

See my footnote below
Love your footnote! Totally agree.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Pretty boring forum if we did that wouldn't it be? I reckon ppl second guessing what's going on is almost the point of the forum.
Of course Paddy and the experts will take zero notioce as to what we write so why do ppl get so worked up.

It's as obvious as the nose on your and mine face that Paddy can't keep going on like this. I still say the club is negligent for even considering it. Negotiate the kids contract out and move on....

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Any news regarding Pierce?

As I recall he coped a concussion very early in the season, at the time I just assumed he'd be back in a week or two. But clearly not the case.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 8:33pm Any news regarding Pierce?

As I recall he coped a concussion very early in the season, at the time I just assumed he'd be back in a week or two. But clearly not the case.
He didn't play for Sandy today. He got a knock in the first round game (picked ahead of Marshall).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend

Not what I said at all, I don't know jack about anything. But no-one is infallible, including "experts".....assuming we know everything, just because it is broadly accepted thinking within a field, is arrogance personified...…..