Match Thread Saints v giants Round 7 2019

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread Saints v giants Round 7 2019

Exposed....back to bottom 4

Freebird
Club Player

The_President wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 4:55pm Bruce just isn’t good.
+ 1

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Saintmatt wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 4:32pm Wasteful. 13 inside 50s to 2 for the quarter. And we’re a goal each.
Incredible, I’m not surprised. I reckon we controlled 55% of the game and GWS 45%. They touched us up in the last 10 mins of the first and the last 5 mins of the third.
Last edited by Linton Lodger on Sat 04 May 2019 5:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The_President wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 5:09pm Currently have eight players with less than 10 touches including:
Acres
Sinclair
Webster
Clark
Bruce
Long

Jesus.
That’s only seven.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
DJ Higgins
Club Player

We were in it until the third quarter. It wasn't Parkers miss that cost us it was the 20 other inside 50's that we didn't capitalise on.
Also Brown was #2 in intercept marks coming into 50 this year. Why the F was he omitted for?
Gresham had a shocker today, he really did and if he gets dropped I would understand why.
To be honest GWS are a much better team ant that first qtr showed how much above us they are

shrodes
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 5:37pm
The_President wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 5:09pm Currently have eight players with less than 10 touches including:
Acres
Sinclair
Webster
Clark
Bruce
Long

Jesus.
That’s only seven.
The Church of Jesus Christ and Less Than Eight Saints

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

DJ Higgins wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 5:39pm We were in it until the third quarter. It wasn't Parkers miss that cost us it was the 20 other inside 50's that we didn't capitalise on.
Also Brown was #2 in intercept marks coming into 50 this year. Why the F was he omitted for?
Gresham had a shocker today, he really did and if he gets dropped I would understand why.
To be honest GWS are a much better team ant that first qtr showed how much above us they are
Ironically Brown was sitting a few seats away from me. He had a dirty day last week, yet his dropping was inexplicable. The game would have been a lot closer had he played.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 5:42pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 5:39pm We were in it until the third quarter. It wasn't Parkers miss that cost us it was the 20 other inside 50's that we didn't capitalise on.
Ironically Brown was sitting a few seats away from me. He had a dirty day last week, yet his dropping was inexplicable. The game would have been a lot closer had he played.
With Geary out his experience alone would have been invaluable. First quarter they ran amok and we were is disarray. Brown would not have allowed that

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

did Long touch the ball ?

The_President
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 5:45pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 5:42pm
With Geary out his experience alone would have been invaluable. First quarter they ran amok and we were is disarray. Brown would not have allowed that

+1

saintkev
Club Player

Brown is not the answer. He plays like a witches hat. He can’t, or won’t, jump, mark, run, tackle, or commit his body. He’s being paid good money to play bruise-free football. Cameron would have had a double field day on him.
Bruce has similar lazy traits. He wants to play old-style wrestle football and take the odd hanger, hangs onto the ball too long, is a plodding decision-maker, doesn’t put any pressure on and is also being paid good dough to produce rubbish.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Sitting in the stands this match felt lost within the first 5 minutes....not an insurmountable situation but it was evident the energy levels from 3-4 weeks ago was gone.
The confidence around stoppages was a distant memory...We were murdered at stoppages from the start.
You can blame the loss many ways but I reckon the stoppages were the biggest factor. Look who was in the stoppages....that was the shocking part of the day.

The inside 50's that were wasted by weak forwards like Bruce - who was average ( he almost always is) as was Membrey ( who is poor 50% of the time) and our Defense was so leaky ( Captain out, No Carlisle, and bizarrely no Brown the #2 intercepter in defense - any game where we have faced quality forwards we have lost).

The intercept posessions were brilliant up half forward then absolutely garbage outcomes, poor decisions, and lack of
Play on opportunities.

It was really an eye opener, although I knew having some top performers out would hurt - the game plan and player selection in key areas was as bad as it's been in 5 years.

ace
Saintsational Legend

I thought the whole team played really well until the umpire bounced the ball to start the match.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

GWS showed what skill can do.
Hit a team mate with a kick.
Hit a team mate with a handpass.
Kick a goal when you have a shot on goal.
If only they played for each other instead of money and had a half decent coach they would already have a bag full of premierships.

There is a heap of talent in the world but so much of it wasted on the talented.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintkev wrote: Sat 04 May 2019 6:11pm Brown is not the answer. He plays like a witches hat. He can’t, or won’t, jump, mark, run, tackle, or commit his body. He’s being paid good money to play bruise-free football. Cameron would have had a double field day on him.
Bruce has similar lazy traits. He wants to play old-style wrestle football and take the odd hanger, hangs onto the ball too long, is a plodding decision-maker, doesn’t put any pressure on and is also being paid good dough to produce rubbish.
History's against you re: Brown.

Jaz
Club Player

My thoughts on a few players:

Joyce - Completely outplayed. Was dominated by Cameron early and gave up easy goals early. Moved to Himmelberg and Finlayson after quarter time. Would have to watch the replay but reakon he had at least 6 goals kicked by his direct opponents.
Marsh - Tried hard and is a good presence never really looked too threatening though, but worth persisting with.
Clark - Average day for him. Nearly as many tackles as possessions suggests he's 2nd to the contest a lot.
Gresham - A bit lost today, with Lonie out spent more time forward but never really impacted the game.
Long - Didn't get near it.
Marshall - Did some really good work but also some howlers, gave away a couple of goals with bad play / positioning. Two goals from free kicks helps his fantasy points.
Wilkie - Was really solid, didn't get beaten too often.
Paton - Solid in defence, especially in the first halve.
Kent - Was played as the deepest forward a lot, was a target but was beaten a lot and missing goals hurts.
Parker - Really liked his efforts, easily one of our best.

And the coaching:

Though Kent starting in the square was a mistake. Would have been better with Marsh there and Kent further forward to help as an option coming into attach.
Joyce was out of his depth, damage was done in the first quarter and he needed to be moved earlier than quarter time.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

How would you feel on a Thursday night when the squad is announced and you are a Saints player (just anyone in the team) and the coach has exposed a novice like Joyce to one of the games best midfields delivering the footy to their key forwards?

You'd be thinking...why does my coach set us up for failure. That's what I'd be thinking

Not only does he do it when there are so many leaders missing from the defensive 6, but he brings in a newbie like Joyce when GWS are in blistering form lately and Cameron is leading the Coleman and is high on confidence.

Meanwhile, Nathan Brown is sitting in the stands. If it wasn't Richo coaching us and selecting the team, I'd swear we were tanking

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 05 May 2019 6:46pm How would you feel on a Thursday night when the squad is announced and you are a Saints player (just anyone in the team) and the coach has exposed a novice like Joyce to one of the games best midfields delivering the footy to their key forwards?

You'd be thinking...why does my coach set us up for failure. That's what I'd be thinking

Not only does he do it when there are so many leaders missing from the defensive 6, but he brings in a newbie like Joyce when GWS are in blistering form lately and Cameron is leading the Coleman and is high on confidence.

Meanwhile, Nathan Brown is sitting in the stands. If it wasn't Richo coaching us and selecting the team, I'd swear we were tanking
He was actually in the rooms or sitting near the interchange. A few guys flew up with him. Phillips, Hanners and Bytel.