What are we selling to free agents?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: What are we selling to free agents?

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2019 11:45pm We have plenty to sell to potential FA's and trade targets IMO.

Personally, I would love to train and work out of RSEA Park and live in a nearby Bayside suburb in Melbourne on a footy players wage.

Lots of good assistants and development coaches to work under.

Good bunch of blokes in the playing group it seems.

Exciting crop of young talent that will really gel soon.

Lack of recent finals appearance might hurt but why not be a star that is part of that next finals crusade to glory!
Jeepers Ted - development coaches? Ahh - no - I don't think so. Our history of developining the talent we draft is nothing short of deplorable. Surely not all who've been are drafted are duds and yet, very few if any have become cream rising to the top. Or even still on the list.

And when you combine that with a development un-friendly environment at Sandy ... you get what we've got.

I generally admire your ability to try and see the positives most times but in this case, please don't - there's nothing to see here.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

samoht wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 2:43pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 11:52am

Fancy actually going to a guy like Conglio and saying yeah our club that finished 14th has good ppl, and you could live and train around Moorabbin... laughable to think that’s a game changer
We are on the same Wins and Losses as the Hawks - why would they necessarily be in the box seat to get him?
We also beat the Hawks this year.

We should be trying at least.
C'mon mate - really? You do know that his best friend on the planet - since they were juniors together in WA - is none other than O'Meara yeah? The Coniglio to Hawthorn thing became very much a reality as soon as the Dawks gave Jaeger a contract extension earlier this season.

Go you red, black & white warriors
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Are we seriously arguing about whether or not a player may perceive St.Kilda or Hawthorn to be a more desirable club to be traded to?

In what universe did O’Meara, Mitchell, Kelly, Smith, Shiel, Saad, Heppel, McGovern, Treloar, Hurley, Lever, Marchbank and the dozen or so other players we’ve been linked to or reported to be targeting, actually pick us?

ss1986
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 5:45pm Are we seriously arguing about whether or not a player may perceive St.Kilda or Hawthorn to be a more desirable club to be traded to?

In what universe did O’Meara, Mitchell, Kelly, Smith, Shiel, Saad, Heppel, McGovern, Treloar, Hurley, Lever, Marchbank and the dozen or so other players we’ve been linked to or reported to be targeting, actually pick us?
Hey hey hey..... they're all good..... but they're no Dan Hannebery ;)

King12
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 5:45pm Are we seriously arguing about whether or not a player may perceive St.Kilda or Hawthorn to be a more desirable club to be traded to?

Fair point, Carlisle, Hanners, Steele, Skunky plus a handful of lesser lights picked us, but you're right, none of the above!👍

ss1986
Club Player

Tim Membrey... you can't be serious naming him. He would've had the choice between St.Kilda FC or the Puckapunyal 4ths at the time.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

King12 wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 5:54pm

Fair point, Carlisle, Hanners, Steele, Skunky plus a handful of lesser lights picked us, but you're right, none of the above!👍
I’m not arguing that players don’t want to or will never want to come to our club...
Just that we don’t look particularly attractive at the moment and we need a better pitch.

Looking at the list above...
Carlisle, Steele + Bruce and Roberton to name a few came to us when we looked like a club on the way up.

That’s an example of what I’m talking about.

Hannebery didn’t seem to attract much other attention and Skunk wasn’t a big name at the time

King12
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 7:41pm

I’m not arguing that players don’t want to or will never want to come to our club...
Just that we don’t look particularly attractive at the moment and we need a better pitch.

Carlisle, Steele + Bruce and Roberton to name a few came to us when we looked like a club on the way up.

Hannebery didn’t seem to attract much other attention and Skunk wasn’t a big name at the time
Yeah true, I was actually agreeing with you to be fair👍

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Steele. Bruce, Roberton & Membrey were not regulars at their club when the left for more opportunity, Robbo was a DFA from memory.

Only Carslile was a highly rated recruit.

Hanneberys injury history and price tag would have ruled him out at most if not all other clubs IMO.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

King12 wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 8:09pm

No arguing here Kingy... this is just conversation

King12
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 8:40pm
King12 wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 8:09pm

No arguing here Kingy... this is just conversation
👍

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Money talks bulls*** walks.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2019 11:45pm We have plenty to sell to potential FA's and trade targets IMO.

Personally, I would love to train and work out of RSEA Park and live in a nearby Bayside suburb in Melbourne on a footy players wage.

Lack of recent finals appearance might hurt but why not be a star that is part of that next finals crusade to glory!
Ted wake up and smell the Rose's. It wouldn't matter if our club was the richest in the comp. Whilst the most insipid, uninspiring and boring coach in generations remains at our club, we have zero saleability to free agents.

Look what happened when Blight came to the club we recruited Gehrig, Hamill & Lawrence or when Barrassi went to North Melbourne. It doesnt matter how poorly the club are seen, if the head coach sells belief that is everything. Richo inspires no one, he would be much better suited to life as a Tibetan Monk.

twirlyhair
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 2:48pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 07 Jun 2019 12:23am
I think the Saints are entering a potentially very exciting era so many would or should want to be a part of it IMO.

The club has to keep trying, the Saints will not get anywhere by being negative and giving up on this front. You just keep plugging away.
This has been the forlorn catch cry of a lot of Saints supporters for as long as I can remember Ted and has sustained us with never ending hopes that consistent success is not very far away.

Last Sunday St Kilda featured in one of the biggest showcase games of the year on the international stage with a viewing audience in the countless milliions: the annual fixture in Shanghai against Port Adelaide. Other than the marquee games at the "G", here was a rare chance for St Kilda to strut its stuff, a game where both teams were poised at 5-5 to progress up the ladder. All the AFL Commissioners and a large number of Australia's top corporate heavyweights were there, offering the St Kilda FC a "once in a lifetime" opportunity to attract an A Grade sponsor for the team, someone like Ford, Holden, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Virgin, a brand that is (with no disrespect to the team's current naming rights sponsors) instantly recognisable and synonymous with SUCCESS!

Instead, to my great dismay, the Saints were absolutely smashed by Port, in a display that was quite insipid and verging on humiliation - who in their right mind having never watched a game of AFL before would want to identify with St Kilda?? Yes, the team had a few players succumb to illness pre-match, and sure, the team was without a number of their key players. But this was no excuse for the poor way the team played - there was no semblance of a game plan, no teamwork, and the skill levels way below what is expected at the elite level.

I don't think I have been so disappointed like this for a long time, it was the worst of 2018 on replay.

It is all very well to say that we'll keep plugging away, I say that too. However I have come to the conclusion that we should send a message to the club; "enough is enough", something has to change because whatever the team has been doing in the past 6 games is not acceptable and if allowed to continue in the same manner will turn supporters away from the Saints.

So to get back to the theme of this post, I agree that the current brand of football played by St Kilda will make it very difficult for the club to lure any one of the handful of established star players available to relocate to Moorabbin, irrespective of the obvious charm of living in the bayside suburbs. By far the most influential factor in the mindset of a star player seeking to move to another club is the team's potential to play finals, and sad to say, unless things change dramatically in the 2nd half of the season, the chances of St Kilda playing finals anytime soon is unlikely.

As for changes, I would not be surprised if after last Sunday's effort the Board will set up another major review of the football department, they owe this to their members, and obviously the position of senior coach has be top of the agenda.

Meh. Team sick with bug, first time traveling to play os. Very young team without experienced senior players, playing against a much more experienced team with mature bodies who know the drill of playing in Shanghai. Put it down to experience and we will be much better next year. And be happy with the million bucks.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Whilst we continue as we are, with the same coach, the same poor development record, the same paced midfield, the same skills moving the ball forward and continuing to treat our draft picks like a credit card we can sell (promise)...

Their Friday nights will be free
No more than a game or two at the MCG
Playing to crowds of 20K
No or little free to air exposure
A mid season footy trip to China
10 home games at the most
Their September free
Early pre season starts

Our President needs to make a statement. St Kilda needs to be the AFL equivalent of Seek. When all other HR firms went backwards, Seek prospered. Whatever business plan he adopted he needs to tailor it to St Kilda. Then they will come.

guitars4
Club Player

twirlyhair wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 2:06pm
I think the Saints are entering a potentially very exciting era so many would or should want to be a part of it IMO.

The club has to keep trying, the Saints will not get anywhere by being negative and giving up on this front. You just keep plugging away.
This has been the forlorn catch cry of a lot of Saints supporters for as long as I can remember Ted and has sustained us with never ending hopes that consistent success is not very far away.

Last Sunday St Kilda featured in one of the biggest showcase games of the year on the international stage with a viewing audience in the countless milliions: the annual fixture in Shanghai against Port Adelaide. Other than the marquee games at the "G", here was a rare chance for St Kilda to strut its stuff, a game where both teams were poised at 5-5 to progress up the ladder. All the AFL Commissioners and a large number of Australia's top corporate heavyweights were there, offering the St Kilda FC a "once in a lifetime" opportunity to attract an A Grade sponsor for the team, someone like Ford, Holden, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Virgin, a brand that is (with no disrespect to the team's current naming rights sponsors) instantly recognisable and synonymous with SUCCESS!

Instead, to my great dismay, the Saints were absolutely smashed by Port, in a display that was quite insipid and verging on humiliation - who in their right mind having never watched a game of AFL before would want to identify with St Kilda?? Yes, the team had a few players succumb to illness pre-match, and sure, the team was without a number of their key players. But this was no excuse for the poor way the team played - there was no semblance of a game plan, no teamwork, and the skill levels way below what is expected at the elite level.

I don't think I have been so disappointed like this for a long time, it was the worst of 2018 on replay.

It is all very well to say that we'll keep plugging away, I say that too. However I have come to the conclusion that we should send a message to the club; "enough is enough", something has to change because whatever the team has been doing in the past 6 games is not acceptable and if allowed to continue in the same manner will turn supporters away from the Saints.

So to get back to the theme of this post, I agree that the current brand of football played by St Kilda will make it very difficult for the club to lure any one of the handful of established star players available to relocate to Moorabbin, irrespective of the obvious charm of living in the bayside suburbs. By far the most influential factor in the mindset of a star player seeking to move to another club is the team's potential to play finals, and sad to say, unless things change dramatically in the 2nd half of the season, the chances of St Kilda playing finals anytime soon is unlikely.

As for changes, I would not be surprised if after last Sunday's effort the Board will set up another major review of the football department, they owe this to their members, and obviously the position of senior coach has be top of the agenda.

Meh. Team sick with bug, first time traveling to play os. Very young team without experienced senior players, playing against a much more experienced team with mature bodies who know the drill of playing in Shanghai. Put it down to experience and we will be much better next year. And be happy with the million bucks.
I'm happy with the million bucks even if it was under false pretenses but hey we've got it in our sky rocket so lets hope we use it wisely. I did say hope :wink:

BarryGrogan
Club Player

You forgot to add 'no traffic on the way to games cause we play on Sundays in front of small crowds'.

The question wasn't 'would the average punter quit their day job to play for the Saints?' - it was 'what do we offer that makes us a better, more attractive option than 16 other clubs?'

I don't think anything you listed, isn't matched or far better at almost all other clubs.

Unfortunately.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

This, this and so much this!
When I heard Finnis blowing off Sunday's issues as suggesting that the players could've all caught the germ of a doorknob (tongue in cheek I hope) I was incredulous. On one hand we've got our new administration telling us that now that we are back at Moorabbin we can now focus on the core business of winning games, and then the next minute we're selling our games overseas to Port Adelaide, a team we never beat, to play all the way over there in China. Well, these things don't match up.
I don't mind so much the selling of games if it makes the club some money but St. Kilda have made an art form of never preparing for them properly. Launceston, Wellington, the Pride Game, the Good Friday Match, and now Shanghai...When are they going to prepare and plan properly for these opportunities?
The club, team and members were absolutely humiliated in China last week, and the whole thing reeked of amateur hour from the get go. 24 hours before the match, we get breaking news that several players in China had been struck down with a bad bug or virus - well, straight away I knew it wouldn't be Port Adelaide!
Then before the game we're treated to Port Adelaide's theme song with a handful of their supporters waving their scarves around AT OUR HOME GAME!
And then we find out that a compliment of supporters ended up transported to the wrong stadium across the other side of bloomin' Shanghai! Well, I thought - how typical of the past six years this is. Bloomin' diabolical!
And if it does transpire that members of the team got sick through eating out, those responsible for allowing that to happen need to be held accountable.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Wed 12 Jun 2019 1:25am, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Shaggy
Club Player

Relationships.

It does not matter whether you are down the bottom or up the top.

Gubby Allan knows how to work it.

Harves Man
Club Player

Shaggy wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 11:04pm Relationships.

It does not matter whether you are down the bottom or up the top.

Gubby Allan knows how to work it.
Very good point.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Our biggest issue with free agency is that we don't win premierships.

We, in general don't produce premiership contending sides.

Why, in general would one of say the top twenty five players in the competition leave a top four club, to go somewhere for a little bit more money... and be middling.

If we get Coniglio I will bend over and kiss my own arse.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Our biggest issue with free agency is that we don't win premierships.

We, in general don't produce premiership contending sides.

Why, in general would one of say the top twenty five players in the competition leave a top four club, to go somewhere for a little bit more money... and be middling.

If we get Coniglio I will bend over and kiss my own arse.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Dylan Shiel & Marchbank aren’t exactly getting satisfaction to name two off the top of my head than there is Lever & May!

PADDLEPOP1000
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Selling Points:
1. Humans are creatures of habit.
We like consistency and certainty.
At the Saints, we are certain to win 3 out of 10 games, never more than that.

2. A yearly holiday to China
It's like Christmas in July (June, actually)- another end of season trip, but in mid-season.
At least, that's how our guys treated it.

3. Guaranteed best 22 spot as long as you show some pressure acts and flashes of skill.
No real pressure to perform, and you'll be a lock.
See Weller, Newnes, Bruce for examples.
It's like the cop who's served for years in Sunshine or Dandenong, getting promoted to Senior Sergeant at Mt Martha or Portsea.
Nice money, no stress, just go through the motions.

I don't know why guys in their twilight won't come to RSEA Park (well, one did, Hanners)
Just like the 80s when Moorabbin was a retirement home for old Blues

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Warney on 360 last night said (paraphrasing) President Bassett will not tolerate current performances/not consistently winning. Heads will roll if it continues (presumably D. Sexton, A. Richardson, maybe others). So when that happens, soonish, we can offer plenty. Salary cap money; credible President; vision, new coach - they always bring one or two gooduns with them, plus we have Max King, Josh Battle, Billings, Marsh, Wilkie, Paton, Membrey, Ross (used properly), Clark (fingers crossed), White, Marshall, Gresham, maybe Steven and Hannebery, Carslisle, possibly Coffield, Langlands, maybe Phillips, maybe Mayo, Acres, Steele, Lonie (?), maybe Bytel, MacKenzie (fingers crossed), Clavarino and of course Freddy Mercury or similar. That's a mouth watering ensemble to build on. Another good ruckman recruited, early draft pick later this year - we are on our way. We are settled at Moorabbin; Lethlean, Gallagher, Ratten and Lade are pretty good. We just need for the starters gun to go. And we easily have the best strip. Not sure China game and associated travel is an attraction - perhaps as an end of season trip. We need to recruit a guy with Chinese heritage - surely there are miners relatives in Ballarat and Bendigo that can take a mark; get one.