Saints watching Goldstein

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints watching Goldstein

Get the coaching and mentoring up to the level of the top teams. We all acknowledge that Sydney, Hawthorn, West Coast and Geelong develop their youth better than us. Let's pinch some of their leaders. Jarryd Roughead will be available in 2020

guitars4
Club Player

To get back to the initial thread how is Goldy going to be part of a plan to make us a viable finals contender in the foreseeable future ? Sure he will be able to pass on valuable knowledge to the present playing group but we are 3 or 4 years away from being a realistic chance of contending for a flag so I would rather spend our well earned on young potential talent because quick fixes don't work when you are miles of the pace IMO

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 11:57pm To get back to the initial thread how is Goldy going to be part of a plan to make us a viable finals contender in the foreseeable future ? Sure he will be able to pass on valuable knowledge to the present playing group but we are 3 or 4 years away from being a realistic chance of contending for a flag so I would rather spend our well earned on young potential talent because quick fixes don't work when you are miles of the pace IMO
Isn’t it both though...
We have have Marshall but he needs support. Goldy would be a good stop gap to help and mentor, meanwhile if we flick Pierce which I assume is the plan, we bring in a new recruit and have a few years to develop him.
In 2-3 years time Marshall will be entering his prime and would be ready to carry a partner

guitars4
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2019 12:20am
guitars4 wrote: Sat 08 Jun 2019 11:57pm To get back to the initial thread how is Goldy going to be part of a plan to make us a viable finals contender in the foreseeable future ? Sure he will be able to pass on valuable knowledge to the present playing group but we are 3 or 4 years away from being a realistic chance of contending for a flag so I would rather spend our well earned on young potential talent because quick fixes don't work when you are miles of the pace IMO
Isn’t it both though...
We have have Marshall but he needs support. Goldy would be a good stop gap to help and mentor, meanwhile if we flick Pierce which I assume is the plan, we bring in a new recruit and have a few years to develop him.
In 2-3 years time Marshall will be entering his prime and would be ready to carry a partner
Maybe but even if Goldy is willing to come he's probably going to want around 500k & IMO hes probably got another 2 years max & for a a million bucks with our list I can't see the benefit in the long term. Definitely get rid of Pierce just not up to it & Billy isn't far behind him but a little better maybe . Surely there has to be another Marshall type player out there or throw the money at a younger bloke from a rival club apparently we have a war chest let's use it on a decent young ruck man or a quality mid. Obviously we are not a destination club so we have to pay through the nose to get quality but I would rather pay a young gun 1.5 to 2 million a year who can have a long term impact on the club than a 30 year old on 800k that hasn't played a game yet & is not going to be part of a tilt at the flag IMO

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2019 12:49am
Isn’t it both though...
Maybe but even if Goldy is willing to come he's probably going to want around 500k & IMO hes probably got another 2 years max & for a a million bucks with our list I can't see the benefit in the long term. Definitely get rid of Pierce just not up to it & Billy isn't far behind him but a little better maybe . Surely there has to be another Marshall type player out there or throw the money at a younger bloke from a rival club apparently we have a war chest let's use it on a decent young ruck man or a quality mid. Obviously we are not a destination club so we have to pay through the nose to get quality but I would rather pay a young gun 1.5 to 2 million a year who can have a long term impact on the club than a 30 year old on 800k that hasn't played a game yet & is not going to be part of a tilt at the flag IMO
No doubt if we can get someone better that fits the criteria you’ve outlined... sure but even in recent times $$$ hasn’t worked for us

The other benefit of Goldy is he’s a FA... he could just walk to us.

Either way I still reckon both is the best course of action but I respect your view

guitars4
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2019 1:05am
guitars4 wrote: Sun 09 Jun 2019 12:49am
Isn’t it both though...
No doubt if we can get someone better that fits the criteria you’ve outlined... sure but even in recent times $$$ hasn’t worked for us

The other benefit of Goldy is he’s a FA... he could just walk to us.

Either way I still reckon both is the best course of action but I respect your view
If we get him as a free agent & hes willing then maybe :| I appreciate your opinion & it's good to see that SS is alive & hopefully on the mend :wink:

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I’d prefer to see Carslile play key forward and provide back up relief for Roma than recruit a pure aging ruck that cannot play forward.

Carslile is big enough, strong and good enough around the ground to play 7-8 minutes a 1/4 giving Roma a chop out.

If we recruit support would prefer a genuine forward ruck not another dinosaur ruck who can only play ruck.

Goldstein would likely hinder Roma development if playing ruck.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

So are we going to give this guy 800k per year since there is no one on our list worth the kanga?

Especially after we give Stuv up to the Cats for nothing.

We love paying blokes big dollars to not even play.

This would have to take the cake for the dumbest list management decision in our history. Surely we just cannot be this bad.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
ace
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Thu 06 Jun 2019 5:53am We should have a look at McEvoy -- I hear he goes OK.
Or Stanley, that fast-moving guy from Geelong.
Or Hickey at the Eagles.
Lucky we've still got Longer though!
We may have Longer but we seem to have lost StoneCold.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

What about John Setka from the CFEMU?

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
happy feet
Club Player

Not even funny Ted. I can’t understand why you would make that post.

This is supposed to be a football forum.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

?

He's looking for a new job apparently. Maybe the AFL can help out a honest union man that is there for the battlers.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
happy feet
Club Player

Again, not even funny.

Suggest you spend some of your spare time researching domestic violence statistics rather that posting in inane comments that have nothing in relation to football or the St Kilda Football Club.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

What are you on about?

Total = 1.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

you Ted - hes talking about YOU

Seeya
guitars4
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 1:21pm What about John Setka from the CFEMU?
Come on Ted lets just stick to football :roll: There are other options for you to use ,this is a football forum not a platform to express your political views IMO anyway

happy feet
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 3:35pm What are you on about?
You know exactly what I am talking about. John Setka has been called out about inappropriate comments about domestic violence. Don't try and weasel out of it. It's all over the news.

So, why is your suggestion that the AFL give him a job even the slightest bit appropriate in any conversation or on this forum.

This is a question of you posting before thinking, or thinking you are being funny, which you are not.

Perhaps you spend far too much time on Saintsational than is healthy.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 9:32pm
You know exactly what I am talking about. John Setka has been called out about inappropriate comments about domestic violence. Don't try and weasel out of it. It's all over the news.

So, why is your suggestion that the AFL give him a job even the slightest bit appropriate in any conversation or on this forum.

This is a question of you posting before thinking, or thinking you are being funny, which you are not.

don't worry he will be spending less time .... thankfully he has been given a week ban.

happy feet
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 9:36pm
happy feet wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 9:32pm

don't worry he will be spending less time .... thankfully he has been given a week ban.
Best news all day.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 11 Jun 2019 2:07pm ?

He's looking for a new job apparently. Maybe the AFL can help out a honest union man that is there for the battlers.

Hilarious Ted, another one of your zingers :roll:
Joking about a thug who is on violence charges against a woman, a guy who has also been disowned by his own political party for inappropriate comments about Rosie Batty.

This goes well with your rib tickling racist jokes...

Very lucky that you don't have a permanent ban IMO ted, time to pull your head in.
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 5:47pm Mr Win Wun Soon (Managing Director of Marketing at Huawei) was impressed by the Saints. Mr Win Wun Soon thinks we will win one soon in Townsville.
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 11:42pm Mr Hoo Flung Dung (CEO of Alibaba) still wants to know who flung dung into the Saint's players dumplings as he had a big bet riding on the Saints to win.
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 11:46pm Mrs Wai So Dim (high school teacher at Shanghai) is trying to teach her students why so dim on this forum all the time.
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Tue 04 Jun 2019 11:32pm Phil Ming wondered why Richo walked off too whilst he was filming the game on Sunday.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.