Who was in charge of the magnets

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Who was in charge of the magnets

Absolute madness with some of the positions players lined up with during the game.

Armo has played over 200 games and i would hazard a guess a total of ZERO at half back flank. Has been playing in the guts a bit in the VFL so we bring him in and play him HBF?

Hind - first game has played HBF and wing in the VFL so where does he start - HFF?

Battle - Been CHB all year , starts CHF . Yes many want him as a forward but be patient and let him learn a position

White finally gets a game after great performance across half back, ends up forward.

FFS how are guys suppose to succeed and grab their chances when they aren't given them. This to me is why we need a stand alone team ( different discussion) however either Hamill has it terribly wrong or Richo and staff though they would outsmart everyone, including themselves and lucky to have not been further behind at half time and dont kick a goal in first quarter.

Lucky GC need a bye and young kids running out of gas.

Got out of jail but the way we lined up at the start was ridiculous

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who was in charge of the magnets

Armo has played more than a few games in the backline in recent years and White had a thigh injury so was stationed at full forward in the 4th quarter.

Battle and Hind I can understand. We dropped two quick forwards.

CarlD
Club Player

White appeared to have a leg injury. Did OK up forward in those circumstances - would have been handy if he had kicked goals instead of points though.

Battle looked far better once he went back and he still kicked a great goal.

HighettMan
Club Player

older saint wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 7:34pm Absolute madness with some of the positions players lined up with during the game.

Armo has played over 200 games and i would hazard a guess a total of ZERO at half back flank. Has been playing in the guts a bit in the VFL so we bring him in and play him HBF?

Hind - first game has played HBF and wing in the VFL so where does he start - HFF?

Battle - Been CHB all year , starts CHF . Yes many want him as a forward but be patient and let him learn a position

White finally gets a game after great performance across half back, ends up forward.

FFS how are guys suppose to succeed and grab their chances when they aren't given them. This to me is why we need a stand alone team ( different discussion) however either Hamill has it terribly wrong or Richo and staff though they would outsmart everyone, including themselves and lucky to have not been further behind at half time and dont kick a goal in first quarter.

To me it's pure coaching genius. Only the pelicans are looking at this game negatively. Of coarse it was ugly and absofuckinglutely it was supposedly only a win against the GCS, but when you consider all of the events of this season leading up to the start of today's game, then you take the win, and more importantly you take all of the wins within the win. The experience the young players are getting without any of the cover from the mature harder experienced bodies sitting on the sidelines is massive.

The position changes were necessary and they worked. It's as simple as that. THEY WORKED. In case you aren't aware the cupboard of player stock is extremely bare at the moment it is incredibly hard to execute a game plan if you haven't got the talent, experience, and a bloody settled side.

And the reason the GC stopped running is because after half time we smashed them in the contest and run them off their legs.

When you look at what is being achieved this season it is truly remarkable considering the massive, massive challenges.

6 and 6 and 1 game out of the 8. WOW!

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
older saint
SS Life Member

HighettMan wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 7:47pm
older saint wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 7:34pm Absolute madness with some of the positions players lined up with during the game.

To me it's pure coaching genius. Only the pelicans are looking at this game negatively. Of coarse it was ugly and absofuckinglutely it was supposedly only a win against the GCS, but when you consider all of the events of this season leading up to the start of today's game, then you take the win, and more importantly you take all of the wins within the win. The experience the young players are getting without any of the cover from the mature harder experienced bodies sitting on the sidelines is massive.

The position changes were necessary and they worked. It's as simple as that. THEY WORKED. In case you aren't aware the cupboard of player stock is extremely bare at the moment it is incredibly hard to execute a game plan if you haven't got the talent, experience, and a bloody settled side.

And the reason the GC stopped running is because after half time we smashed them in the contest and run them off their legs.

When you look at what is being achieved this season it is truly remarkable considering the massive, massive challenges.

Pure coaching genius - we didnt kick a goal in the first quarter and if GC could kick straight the game would have been over.
I dont understand how they were necessary. You want young players to succeed and to do that you need to give them an environment to perform in , we don't do that. Hind was on a hiding to nothing hasn't played HFF all year , to my knowledge,

Genius today was to finally play Acres on the ball and not as the second ruck. Genius was to switch things around at half time and see Battle go back .

I realise this squad is undermanned but that first quarter looked like change for change sake. We got back into it when the structure behind the ball was better and Marshall and Billings , who spent time behind the ball in the first half , lifted considerably through the middle.

Love the win and love the fact we are 50% considering i thought we would win 5 games for the year, however i feel the first quarter almost cost us the game and to me that performance sits squarely on those controlling the magnets.

older saint
SS Life Member

CarlD wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 7:42pm White appeared to have a leg injury. Did OK up forward in those circumstances - would have been handy if he had kicked goals instead of points though.

Battle looked far better once he went back and he still kicked a great goal.
Missed a small portion of the game, explains the White thing then. My angst was really the first quarter which almost blew the game

HighettMan
Club Player

[quote="older saint" post_id=1798499 time=1560590645 user_id=11405

that performance sits squarely on those controlling the magnets.

[/quote]

You're looking for fault. It takes 4 quarters to win a game and it was a board loaded chock full of new magnets and a win was achieved.

older saint
SS Life Member

HighettMan wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 8:46pm [quote="older saint" post_id=1798499 time=1560590645 user_id=11405

that performance sits squarely on those controlling the magnets.
You're looking for fault. It takes 4 quarters to win a game and it was a board loaded chock full of new magnets and a win was achieved.
[/quote]

Not looking for fault , but not willing to ignore stuff ups because the end result is ok. Called wallpaper over cracks.
Win is a win, but to me often method and structure is as important as short term result.
We clearly have a different view of things, bigger picture vs smaller picture. None either wrong nor right just different.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 8:24pm
HighettMan wrote: Sat 15 Jun 2019 7:47pm

Pure coaching genius - we didnt kick a goal in the first quarter and if GC could kick straight the game would have been over.
I dont understand how they were necessary. You want young players to succeed and to do that you need to give them an environment to perform in , we don't do that. Hind was on a hiding to nothing hasn't played HFF all year , to my knowledge,

Genius today was to finally play Acres on the ball and not as the second ruck. Genius was to switch things around at half time and see Battle go back .

I realise this squad is undermanned but that first quarter looked like change for change sake. We got back into it when the structure behind the ball was better and Marshall and Billings , who spent time behind the ball in the first half , lifted considerably through the middle.

Love the win and love the fact we are 50% considering i thought we would win 5 games for the year, however i feel the first quarter almost cost us the game and to me that performance sits squarely on those controlling the magnets.
How many times have people praised a team when they have so many changes to the line up? We all acknowledge how difficult it is for a team when they have third of your line up changing from week to week. Why is that? Because it unbalances the team...why then would you add to the change and the imbalance with more change?

It defies logic. I keep comimg back to this thread and I commend the op. Great follow up post too. Succinct analysis without being a one eyed nuffie or calling people pelicans...

You are looking to analyse and debate footy rather than being a sycophant or apologist with threads just cheerleading and pointing the finger at other posters. It's not about us. We question why we are still stuck with a coach who has failed to significantly improve the side in 6 years and we just want to see a better brand of footy

I have theory on why Mr 33% tried to outwit his opponents and try something different

I could understand springing surprises on a top 8 team with some of your best 22, but when you have so many new faces in the line up - isn't that enough change on it's own?

Instead of backing his players to get the job done against the team sitting in 17th spot on the ladder and backing your boys who have performed admirably so far this year ( plus this is a team that you've already beaten) so why be so desperate?

I think he doesn't have enough faith in his charges and he himself lacks confidence and belief. Did you see the look on Cho at the final siren? It's a huge relief when we get over the line and it's like a surprise to him that we actually got the win

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Battle been chb all year starts chf.
A preview for when Carlisle returns perhaps?

Happy to win given all the injuries, but we certainly made hard work of it. We dominated the second half without taking full advantage on the scoreboard, which, sadly, is a somewhat familiar feeling.

Forward structure needs work. Still too crowded.

Delivery needs work. Too many long bombs.

Forward line personnel needs work.

Much as I like him - and wouldn’t drop him - Bruce is struggling as a key forward.

Battle (or Carlisle) to the forward line may not be such a bad idea. Would give us an extra viable tall target and more options in second ruck.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 16 Jun 2019 9:57am, edited 1 time in total.

HighettMan
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 4:10am Battle been chb all year starts chf.

A preview for when Carlisle returns perhaps?

Happy to win given all the injuries, but geez we made hard work of it. We dominated the second half without taking full advantage on the scoreboard, which, sadly, is a somewhat familiar feeling.

Forward structure needs work. Still too crowded. Delivery needs work. Too many long bombs. Personnel needs work. Much as I like him and wouldn’t drop him, Bruce is struggling as a key forward.

Battle (or Carlisle) to the forward line may not be such a bad idea. Would give us an extra viable tall target and more options in second ruck
It was brilliant coaching. It really seemed to throw GC out of balance.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It's interesting watching Richo in the coach's box. Watching his lips move I always wonder what he's actually saying. I can't help but think of him on 360. Is he asking a question or seeking validation?

I wish there was audio. I'd love to spend a match in there to get a genuine appreciation and understanding of not only the set up but also the man himself.

St Loxton
Club Player

Bruce tried his arse off yesterday, simply his opponent wore him like a glove and gave him nothing easy.
Great job by him.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I think Bruce got a long overdue rocket at half time, did come out a different player.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Loxton wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 10:44am Bruce tried his arse off yesterday, simply his opponent wore him like a glove and gave him nothing easy.
Great job by him.
Effort has never been a problem for him, that’s for sure.

Shaggy
Club Player

IMO great move to give Armo a chance as our quarterback like Luke Hodge particularly with Geary out. Most forumites had written him off. Armo was All Australian HBF u/18s and there is no spot in the midfield with Steele and Dan to come in.

Hind's last game was up forward for Sandy where he collected 20 disposals and kicked 1 goal.

Battle is a forward Richo is successfully converting into a key intercept back. It is ironic to call Richo out when he now switches him forward which he does from time to time.

White was injured in the 2nd quarter.

This year we have experimented with Billings - deep, Marshall prime ruck, Gresh - mid & Battle - back. I like it.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 2:51pm

IMO great move to give Armo a chance as our quarterback like Luke Hodge particularly with Geary out. Most forumites had written him off. Armo was All Australian HBF u/18s and there is no spot in the midfield with Steele and Dan to come in.

Hind's last game was up forward for Sandy where he collected 20 disposals and kicked 1 goal.

Battle is a forward Richo is successfully converting into a key intercept back. It is ironic to call Richo out when he now switches him forward which he does from time to time.

White was injured in the 2nd quarter.

This year we have experimented with Billings - deep, Marshall prime ruck, Gresh - mid & Battle - back. I like it.
I also like it if it is a theme for the rest of this year however in my opinion it's plain wrong to say that it was the reason we won against Gold Coast

You would think that last year when we were going so badly that the head coach would have tried players in different positions, but I don't think he had the courage or the creativity

wally
Club Player

Bruce I reckon would be a great 3rd tall/second ruck in our side.
Trouble is we don't have a better 1st and 2nd tall in our forward line

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 3:27pm Bruce I reckon would be a great 3rd tall/second ruck in our side.
Trouble is we don't have a better 1st and 2nd tall in our forward line
Membrey plays tall and hopefully when Carlisle comes back either he or Battle goes to the forward line. Bruce plays the role you suggest. Then the structure is looking much better.