AFL Overkill

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL Overkill

Crossy66 wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 9:09am Its something unique to footy that no one questions. When fans started getting thrown out for abusing umpires my first reaction was that it was crap. But the problem is, that umpires are employees, and they have a right to go to work without facing a barrage of abuse as they go about doing their jobs. almost every free kick is cheered by 50% and booed by the the other 50% - they cant win.
Can you imagine if the behaviour at the various footy codes was replicated at other sports such as Basketball, Netball, Athletics, Synchronised swimming that it would be tolerated? I can remember back in the 80's how we treated Indigenous players, with the four quarter abuse coming from the cage and every other footy ground. We thought that was ok at the time, but now look back and realise otherwise.

I imagine that the treatment of umpires has come under scrutiny as part of a wider issue highlighted by recent fights in and out of footy grounds. They are tightening up on people that go to the footy and cant control themselves.
Oh really?

Well how about GUTLESS GILL just say that’s the case then and they’ve decided to silence us??

GUTLESS GILL doesn’t have the balls to say it, and until he does he deserves to cop what he’s getting and Loren relevant needs to step down. He’s an incompetent leader just like Dimwit was.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
older saint
SS Life Member

i am all for morons who use racist , homophobic or excessively swear or are drunk removed from games. This however is not who they are focusing on , it is those who support too hard or yell too loud, or heaven forbid stand up and yell while moving their arms.

I think it would be a great message if 1 round all cheer squads don't sit behind the goals and just sit up in the stand - no floggers, flags, banners etc. This would send a great message having vacant seats behind the goals at each end ( channel 7 and sponsors not happy) , people still get to watch the game, and perhaps the AFL will recognise there is a problem with venue security ( last time I checked they own Marvel stadium) , police protocol or AFL protocol on loud spectators,

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:10pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 11:58am
The_Dud wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 11:41am If you can’t manage to go to the footy without spewing vile abuse then I think the problem is with you, not the AFL.
How do you know it's only limited to vile abuse? How is abuse defined precisely? Who decides?

The AFL are also in denial that the security set up has changed but it clearly has.
There's a small but significant difference between being "in denial" and "denying"...I believe the AFL is guilty of the latter.........
I’ve just become too used to interacting with a few posters on here who are guilty of the former.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
portosaint
Club Player

older saint wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 1:02pm i am all for morons who use racist , homophobic or excessively swear or are drunk removed from games. This however is not who they are focusing on , it is those who support too hard or yell too loud, or heaven forbid stand up and yell while moving their arms.

I think it would be a great message if 1 round all cheer squads don't sit behind the goals and just sit up in the stand - no floggers, flags, banners etc. This would send a great message having vacant seats behind the goals at each end ( channel 7 and sponsors not happy) , people still get to watch the game, and perhaps the AFL will recognise there is a problem with venue security ( last time I checked they own Marvel stadium) , police protocol or AFL protocol on loud spectators,
This is the point. It is reported that at the Queens Birthday clash the MCG text hotline was used to remove opposing fans from certain areas when their only crime was cheering too loudly.

I'm yet to meet anyone who doesn't agree that racist, homophobic, violent or abusive wankers shouldn't be ejected. But surely passionate support is still allowed.

older saint
SS Life Member

portosaint wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 1:19pm
older saint wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 1:02pm i am all for morons who use racist , homophobic or excessively swear or are drunk removed from games. This however is not who they are focusing on , it is those who support too hard or yell too loud, or heaven forbid stand up and yell while moving their arms.

This is the point. It is reported that at the Queens Birthday clash the MCG text hotline was used to remove opposing fans from certain areas when their only crime was cheering too loudly.

I'm yet to meet anyone who doesn't agree that racist, homophobic, violent or abusive wankers shouldn't be ejected. But surely passionate support is still allowed.
What we have seen in the last 2 weeks would say perhaps not, which is very sad.
The couch at home where i can say what i want ( when the boss is out haha) and a few ales in the fridge may be the go moving forward. Sad state of affairs if that is the case

Crossy66
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:57pm
Crossy66 wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 9:09am Its something unique to footy that no one questions. When fans started getting thrown out for abusing umpires my first reaction was that it was crap. But the problem is, that umpires are employees, and they have a right to go to work without facing a barrage of abuse as they go about doing their jobs. almost every free kick is cheered by 50% and booed by the the other 50% - they cant win.
Can you imagine if the behaviour at the various footy codes was replicated at other sports such as Basketball, Netball, Athletics, Synchronised swimming that it would be tolerated? I can remember back in the 80's how we treated Indigenous players, with the four quarter abuse coming from the cage and every other footy ground. We thought that was ok at the time, but now look back and realise otherwise.

I imagine that the treatment of umpires has come under scrutiny as part of a wider issue highlighted by recent fights in and out of footy grounds. They are tightening up on people that go to the footy and cant control themselves.
Oh really?

Well how about GUTLESS GILL just say that’s the case then and they’ve decided to silence us??

GUTLESS GILL doesn’t have the balls to say it, and until he does he deserves to cop what he’s getting and Loren relevant needs to step down. He’s an incompetent leader just like Dimwit was.
So if I understand it, you dont disagree with the issue, just gutless Gill not saying it out aloud?

Crossy66
Club Player

older saint wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 1:25pm
portosaint wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 1:19pm

What we have seen in the last 2 weeks would say perhaps not, which is very sad.
The couch at home where i can say what i want ( when the boss is out haha) and a few ales in the fridge may be the go moving forward. Sad state of affairs if that is the case
I'm not sure, but I thought the issue was people abusing umpires getting ejected Y/N?

Club Player

why the booing, overloud barracking, the occasional expletive- well other than that is the way it has always been , it is because we become emotionally invested in our team and its success. Where else do strangers become bedfellows, where else can you release that pent up rage that is in all of us, that primitive need to contest, to fight. Sport, and football in particular has become a vehicle for social cohesion, a shared and joint tribal activity that means we do not have to actually strike each other. We send out others to carry the hopes and colours of our chosen allegiance.
We have inherited a marvellous, thrilling and for we saints supporters frustrating tribal identity, with the norms of behaviour set out and in the main self correcting. For the number of people attending true violence and real abuse is exceedingly rare.
Sadly those who claim to be the custodians of the game (AFL) are little by little leading us to "the English disease" - treating supporters as if they are one stupid umpiring decision away from a riot. Prevent the shouting, the booing, the occasional outburst and what happens to the slow inevitable internal anger and frustration......

And don't say it is just a game- why do we post on here if that was all it was? Do we post on cricket forums, soccer forums, synchronised swimming forums?
And lastly for those who waffle on about the workplace- well we are the consumers, not the employer. We are the arbiters of what is good and bad in a service and to complain is legitimate. To complain in a way that supporters have done for decades without violence ensuing, without umpires being anything other than at the most a target for invective on the day is evidence that assertions of harm are overblown. We could of course refuse to attend games, I suspect the AFL would not care as that just means more watching on TV.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 1:45pm

Oh really?

So if I understand it, you dont disagree with the issue, just gutless Gill not saying it out aloud?
It’s bullshir. I want say that the umpire is a moron/maggot/blind/idiot etc because it’s often true and they deserve it often.

All I’m saying is Gill is a LIAR by saying that nothing has changed and supporters can still yell and scream support etc if they want.

He’s an ignoramous like that turd Dimwit just with a more pleasant personality.

That’s the modern way - be all nice and chummy but still the silent assessen.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Crossy66
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 2:14pm
Crossy66 wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 1:45pm

Oh really?

It’s bullshir. I want say that the umpire is a moron/maggot/blind/idiot etc because it’s often true and they deserve it often.

All I’m saying is Gill is a LIAR by saying that nothing has changed and supporters can still yell and scream support etc if they want.

He’s an ignoramous like that turd Dimwit just with a more pleasant personality.

That’s the modern way - be all nice and chummy but still the silent assessen.

So here's your problem, other than footy codes, that sort of behaviour isnot tolerated. Also in 2020, its no longer considered appropriate for an employer (AFL) to allow an employee(umpire) to be verbally abused like that, and they have a duty of care to look after them, including mental health.

I'm no shrinking violet, I spent many years watching footy from the Moorabbin cage and have yelled out stuff that would make chopper read blush, but times have changed mate.
As for Gill being a liar or whatever, i dont really care so much. He's got corporate responsibilities so says or does what he has to. Its the job.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:44pm

You're right Umpires are well paid employees. Unlike other well paid employees, they don't get sacked for poor performance or incompetence. Most of them are poor performers and incompetent.

In the context of an elite sporting event, in front of big passionate crowds, if Umpires cannot cop "boos" or heckling, then they do not have the temperament for the job.

The Umpire that had that supporter thrown out last week is one of the poorest.

I and many other people will not cop a team of Door Bitches in visy vests, patrolling the aisles at the Footy searching out people using robust language.
Combined with the fact they will get in your way while you are trying to watch the game.
Absolute Nanny State with some clown standing behind you telling you to be quiet.

The whole thing started from fights in the crowd.
In this day and age there are cameras everywhere, they can get security to that area in 30 seconds...
It’s now morphed into stopping someone yelling anything as it ‘might’ start a fight 🙄🙄🙄🙄

The Gilstapo and SS goons can go jump

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:52pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 11:41am If you can’t manage to go to the footy without spewing vile abuse then I think the problem is with you, not the AFL.
No, that’s not the issue. That’s part of supporting and Gil can go f*** himself if he think he can stop us.

All the f*** wit wants to do is stop crowd violence and he thinks he has to do this step to stop that.

The silly prick is addicted to allowing grog to be sold so this is the net result in some instances.

IMO physical violence should mean a life ban. No it’s or buts. Do your campaign on that not these silly send an SMS if someone says something you don’t like security gaurds.

So if you have an opposition fan you don’t like you just cry to MummaGIl and send your SMS and get him/her booted out. Cry me a f****** river.
Exactly. You’ll get pricks in the crowd getting opposition supporters kicked out for no good reason other than the fact they barrack for another team.
Definitely heading down the crowd segregation route of it hasn’t started already.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

If alcohol is the problem, stop selling at games like they do in the Premier League.
The pubs would love it because everyone goes and gets tanked before the game.

This is why the election went the way it did, the silent majority said up yours to the unsilent minority that wanted to enforce garbage on everyone.

Might not be now, but there will come a time where everyone says enough is enough.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

When people cant enjoy the game because of boof heads behaviour yelling vial abuse and swearing it needs addressing. It's indicative of the community as a whole similiarly to road rage. I completely support the AFL's stance on this and it should have occurred several years ago. Well done AFL!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Much like when people whinge about the cops it’s because they keep getting caught doing the wrong thing.

Again, if you can’t go to the footy without spewing vile abuse then the problem is with you, not the AFL/Gil.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Annoyedsaint wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 2:41pm
This is why the election went the way it did, the silent majority said up yours to the unsilent minority that wanted to enforce garbage on everyone.
On a side note, the election went the way it did because we let those red-neck Queenslanders vote. ;)

Crossy66
Club Player

Annoyedsaint wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 2:29pm
Linton Lodger wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 12:44pm

You're right Umpires are well paid employees. Unlike other well paid employees, they don't get sacked for poor performance or incompetence. Most of them are poor performers and incompetent.

In the context of an elite sporting event, in front of big passionate crowds, if Umpires cannot cop "boos" or heckling, then they do not have the temperament for the job.

The Umpire that had that supporter thrown out last week is one of the poorest.

I and many other people will not cop a team of Door Bitches in visy vests, patrolling the aisles at the Footy searching out people using robust language.
Combined with the fact they will get in your way while you are trying to watch the game.
Absolute Nanny State with some clown standing behind you telling you to be quiet.

The whole thing started from fights in the crowd.
In this day and age there are cameras everywhere, they can get security to that area in 30 seconds...
It’s now morphed into stopping someone yelling anything as it ‘might’ start a fight 🙄🙄🙄🙄

The Gilstapo and SS goons can go jump
Like I said, its not the AFL its the law. The AFL have a duty of care to its employees and for the safety of its patrons. It doesnt matter whether or not they are paid well or are incompetent and yes they do get demoted to a lower league if the perform badly and dropped from the list if they dont improve so yes they can be sacked.
To your other point about umpires not been able to handle booes and heckles, you and I both know its much more than simple boos and heckles.
You and other people WILL have to cop door bitches in visy vests if you want to continue to go to the footy.
The times are a changing mate you just have to accept it and move on.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I was at the MCG a couple of seasons ago when taking my (then 9 year old) grandson to the Collingwood-Carlton game. My grandson follows his dads example and barracks for the Pies. All was well until a group of five loud-mouthed, foul-mouthed, drunken Carlton blokes sat behind us and did nothing but try and goad the collingwood people...... it was UGLY. I went to a security guy to complain, and was given the bums rush!!! We ended up leaving our reserved seats and going to another area in the GA section. Anyone who knows me, knows that I like to barrack hard, but vile language and intimidation are (IMHO) so out of step with a modern and (supposedly) family-friendly environment at the footy. I personally welcome the AFL sorting out oafish and boorish behaviour.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

HighettMan wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 9:51am So many haters just looking to be outraged.

Behave yourself and it's not a problem.
Agreed
I laugh at the outrage shown by a few getting all upset thinking their right to abuse another is being stifled
The afl can't stop a person yelling abuse at an umpire - it's now there might be a consequence for their action

I wonder if they are the same people that lose their rag at the 15 yr old volunteer ump at their kids match
Because that's where it starts

Seeya
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Freedom of speech is becoming a major issue in this country.

A lot of people are sick of being told what they must think and what they can and cannot say. They have had a gut full of the AFL’s social justice posturing. Some agree with it, of course, but shouldn’t presume they are in the majority. Nor should the AFL.

I’m going to continue to exercise my democratic rights. I’ll think and say what I want

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 7:07pm Freedom of speech is becoming a major issue in this country.

A lot of people are sick of being told what they must think and what they can and cannot say. They have had a gut full of the AFL’s social justice posturing. Some agree with it, of course, but shouldn’t presume they are in the majority.

I’m going to continue to exercise my democratic rights. I’ll think and say what I want
“Freedom of speech” is an overused term adopted by those who’ve watched too much American tv. And it’s usually code for “I can’t say ignorant/racist/sexist/homophobic stuff anymore without people calling me out”

You can say whatever you like, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t consequences for what you say. I’m glad people who in the past were suppressed are now standing up and not copping crap anymore from those who feel entitled.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 7:19pm
bigcarl wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 7:07pm Freedom of speech is becoming a major issue in this country.

A lot of people are sick of being told what they must think and what they can and cannot say. They have had a gut full of the AFL’s social justice posturing. Some agree with it, of course, but shouldn’t presume they are in the majority.

“Freedom of speech” is an overused term adopted by those who’ve watched too much American tv. And it’s usually code for “I can’t say ignorant/racist/sexist/homophobic stuff anymore without people calling me out”

You can say whatever you like, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t consequences for what you say. I’m glad people who in the past were suppressed are now standing up and not copping crap anymore from those who feel entitled.

Freedom of speech is vital to a democracy. It’s a fundamental. As I said, don’t presume that everyone thinks like you do or that you are in the majority.

Let me give you an example here. Some - Alan Ricardson’s family for example - may find your user name and avatar The Dud (with a picture of Alan attached) to be offensive and bordering on hate speech.

I’m not offended by it, even though you feel ENTITLED to the opinion that The Cho Has Got To Go.

That is you exercising your democratic rights to freedom of opinion/speech.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 16 Jun 2019 7:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 7:25pm
The_Dud wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 7:19pm

Freedom of speech is vital to a democracy. It’s a fundamental. As I said, don’t presume that everyone thinks like you do or that you are in the majority.
The government isn’t suppressing you, a business is telling you what it deems acceptable for its product, which it has the right to.

And I know not everyone thinks like me, hence the ignorant/racists/sexist/homophobes etc.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Even the bosses at the dome say that security has gone too far ffs.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 16 Jun 2019 7:51pm Even the bosses at the dome say that security has gone too far ffs.
It has. It’s a joke