AFL Overkill

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL Overkill

saynta wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 4:34pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:57pm
saynta wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 2:36pm
Special wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 6:11am
Backpacker/uni student or according to Jeff “new arrivals” also who have no idea about the game!

Poor Jeff copped abuse for being racist saying that, when in fact it was just the correct observation.

In any case, a hired security guard has little qualifications and are just window dressing.

IF all this was a REAL issue then wouldn’t police be doing the patrols???

Onya bike Gil, and go get a proper haircut when you leave.
You are not allowed to tell it how it really is in this PC world. Jeff should have known this no matter how true his observations were.
What a complete and utter load of s***.

Firstly, you can still say what you want. The only difference is, thankfully, that when you speak s*** and/or be a total prick - you get called on it.

I can't fathom how people think that's a bad thing.

As for the specific comments by Kennett, he's making an assumption based on someone's appearance that they're 'new arrivals'. And you sit there and say 'he's telling it how it really is'??? Seriously?

And secondly, he's stating that if you weren't born here, you know norhing about the football???! WTF?

And you sit there and say 'he's telling it how it really is'??? Seriously?

Do you have any idea how ignorant that sounds??

You're allowed to say it, but how can you possibly have a sook when people call you on how utterly stupid it is?
I think if you have a look at the comment section in the papers following the articles on Kennett, you will find that most posters agree with me and your views are in the minority.
Are you trying to use the HS comment section as a accurate sample of wider society..?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Brunswicksainter wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 4:29pm Just a suggestion... why dont they consider imposing separate seating zones at games e.g. a fan terrace (must be over 16-18 years to be in this area) and dedicated family zones for young families and less animated fans. Seems like an easy fix, could also bring back the glory days of old terrace and active fan areas at suburban grounds i.e The Animal enclosure. This is a commonly used strategy across European soccer grounds.
I’m pretty sure the cricket does this, as in there’s a ‘family zone’ where they don’t sell alcohol.

Special
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 4:37pm
Brunswicksainter wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 4:29pm Just a suggestion... why dont they consider imposing separate seating zones at games e.g. a fan terrace (must be over 16-18 years to be in this area) and dedicated family zones for young families and less animated fans. Seems like an easy fix, could also bring back the glory days of old terrace and active fan areas at suburban grounds i.e The Animal enclosure. This is a commonly used strategy across European soccer grounds.
I’m pretty sure the cricket does this, as in there’s a ‘family zone’ where they don’t sell alcohol.
Gilligan is too dumb to understand this

Special
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 11:18am Buying a ticket to the footy doesn’t give you the right to abuse or intimidate people.

The idea was correct but the execution was poor, they’ll iron out the problems.

What’s worse, getting asked by a security guard to calm down or getting your head punched in by some flog in the crowd (which we’ve seen a number of times already this year)?

Don’t act like an entitled flog and there won’t be an issue, it’s not that hard.
You really are a Dud.

I can carry on if I like.

You can stay on the couch at home

Special
Club Player

Backpacker/uni student or according to Jeff “new arrivals” also who have no idea about the game!

Poor Jeff copped abuse for being racist saying that, when in fact it was just the correct observation.

In any case, a hired security guard has little qualifications and are just window dressing.

You are not allowed to tell it how it really is in this PC world. Jeff should have known this no matter how true his observations were.

Firstly, you can still say what you want. The only difference is, thankfully, that when you speak s*** and/or be a total prick - you get called on it.

As for the specific comments by Kennett, he's making an assumption based on someone's appearance that they're 'new arrivals'. And you sit there and say 'he's telling it how it really is'??? Seriously?

And secondly, he's stating that if you weren't born here, you know norhing about the football???! WTF?

You're allowed to say it, but how can you possibly have a sook when people call you on how utterly stupid it is?
Cry me a river.

Sanyta and Jeff are right.

Fairly high odds they are right based on appearances. You’re just being another PC fool towing the line.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Special wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 4:44pm
The_Dud wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 11:18am Buying a ticket to the footy doesn’t give you the right to abuse or intimidate people.

What’s worse, getting asked by a security guard to calm down or getting your head punched in by some flog in the crowd (which we’ve seen a number of times already this year)?

Don’t act like an entitled flog and there won’t be an issue, it’s not that hard.
You really are a Dud.

Is that you Mr Anning?

:roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Special wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 4:47pm

Cry me a river.

Sanyta and Jeff are right.

Fairly high odds they are right based on appearances. You’re just being another PC fool towing the line.
Thanks for the support mate.

I think if you were a true football supporter/follower, you would be watching the football, not the spectators.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 5:01pm
Special wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 4:44pm

You really are a Dud.

Is that you Mr Anning?

:roll:
That really is offensive dudley. :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I particularly liked this comment from a herald sun reader.

"Brian W
6 hours ago
Why should McLachlan be surprised that fans feel alienated from the AFL. He constantly lectures fans about what social views are acceptable and acts as though he considers most fans to be racist, sexist, homophobic bigots who need to be taught how to behave properly.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 5:41pm I particularly liked this comment from a herald sun reader.

"Brian W
6 hours ago
Why should McLachlan be surprised that fans feel alienated from the AFL. He constantly lectures fans about what social views are acceptable and acts as though he considers most fans to be racist, sexist, homophobic bigots who need to be taught how to behave properly.
If someone’s not a racist, sexist, homophobic bigot then why would it bother them, and why would they feel alienated?

BarryGrogan
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 4:34pm

I think if you have a look at the comment section in the papers following the articles on Kennett, you will find that most posters agree with me and your views are in the minority.
Do I get a prize for guessing which paper?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

9:19 amJune 18, 2019
Highlight
'I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT'
Michael Randall

Extraordinary vision has emerged of a security guard almost attempt to break up a tussle at an AFL venue … on the field.

Footage aired on Fox Footy’s On The Couch on Monday night showed Kangaroo Jack Ziebell and Giant Heath Shaw wrestling near the boundary line during their two teams’ match at Blundstone Arena on Sunday afternoon.

– BEN WATERWORTH, FOX SPORTS

FULL STORY: https://bit.ly/2KXqtNR

HighettMan
Club Player

Enrico_Misso wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 12:33am
The football public own the sport.
The AFL administer it.
I didn't think anyone believed this anymore.

The AFL own it and it's all about brand protection.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 6:13pm 9:19 amJune 18, 2019
Highlight
Michael Randall

Extraordinary vision has emerged of a security guard almost attempt to break up a tussle at an AFL venue … on the field.

Footage aired on Fox Footy’s On The Couch on Monday night showed Kangaroo Jack Ziebell and Giant Heath Shaw wrestling near the boundary line during their two teams’ match at Blundstone Arena on Sunday afternoon.

This bizarre occurrence in some way exemplifies Jeff Kennett's main worry- that the people employed to do crowd control do not know football! How else to explain the action of the security guard? If you have people with no experience of a football crowd, no experience as a fan now attempting to evaluate behaviour, judging who is right or wrong with any complaint and authorised to evict a paying patron then I can see a problem. It has nothing to do with nationality. Of course he expressed the idea poorly so his main point was lost, only for it to appear just as he suspected!

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
BarryGrogan
Club Player

6621104 wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 7:09pm
This bizarre occurrence in some way exemplifies Jeff Kennett's main worry- that the people employed to do crowd control do not know football! How else to explain the action of the security guard? If you have people with no experience of a football crowd, no experience as a fan now attempting to evaluate behaviour, judging who is right or wrong with any complaint and authorised to evict a paying patron then I can see a problem. It has nothing to do with nationality. Of course he expressed the idea poorly so his main point was lost, only for it to appear just as he suspected!
He specifically stated that based on the colour of their skin, they're newcomers to Australia.

That is just simply idiotic. Racist or not, it's one of the most ignorant and stupid comments I've ever heard.

Then, to top it off, he follows it up by stating that unless you're born here, you don't understand football!!!??

You're right, it has nothing to do with nationality - but Kennett specifically made it so.

I know dozens of Indian and Asian people that were born here. Shock!

And I know plenty of others that weren't born here, that are nuts for the footy. Shock!!

Looking at someone, and drawing conclusions about them based on their race, including their ability to do their job - is pretty much the definition of racist.

Special
Club Player

BS Grogan.

Anyone who has lived here more than a few years would know it’s not on for security guard to break up a fight between players.

Stop you’re BS rhetoric

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Special wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 8:04pm BS Grogan.

Anyone who has lived here more than a few years would know it’s not on for security guard to break up a fight between players.

Stop you’re BS rhetoric
A policeman tried to intervene at Moorabbin one day when Plugger was mauling Neil Cordy.

Club Player

BarryGrogan, you can hide behind the racist accusation if you like, you will get no argument from me about your definition and I suspect Jeff also has had second thoughts about how he expressed his concern. BUT his concern insofar as I understand it was- what assurance do we, the paying public have that the people charged with crowd behaviour management have the understanding and skills to do so fairly.
In my estimation, the antics of the guard who attempted to rush onto the field suggest that he , at least, and in all likelihood some others (presuming they all went through the same employment screening) do not only not understand football but also do not understand their role.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
BarryGrogan
Club Player

6621104 wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 8:20pm
BUT his concern insofar as I understand it was- what assurance do we, the paying public have that the people charged with crowd behaviour management have the understanding and skills to do so fairly.
There's no issue with those concerns.

Those concerns however have nothing to do with Kennett straight out being racist with his comments.

The only way his comments can be interpreted, is that only white men that were born in Australia are capable of being security guards.

It's completely preposterous, and outright racist.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 5:41pm I particularly liked this comment from a herald sun reader.

"Brian W
6 hours ago
And?

I don't know why the racists, bigots, sexists and homophobes don't just own it.

If you think what Kennett said is 'telling it how it is', you're racist. You might not be KKK racist - but you're racist.

Full stop.

Just accept it.

If you voted against gay marriage, you're a homophobe. Full stop.
You might not hate guys - but you're still against them havibg the same rights as straight people. Homophobe.

Accept it.

Kennett whined "How dare you call me racist! I'm pro-immigration!" - immediately after he said that only white guys are capable of performing a security role at the footy.

He might not be Tony Abbott level racist - but he's racist. He might not be a bad person, but he's racist.

Just accept it.

These people embarrass themselves when they deny it.
Last edited by BarryGrogan on Tue 18 Jun 2019 9:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah, because European soccer is exactly the model we want to emulate! :roll:

Brunswicksainter
Club Player

freely wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 8:58pm
Yeah, because European soccer is exactly the model we want to emulate! :roll:
Why wouldn't it be im? not sure if you've been to premier league or bundesliga game but the passion, atmosphere and fan engagement is significantly better than the AFL. We should at least try to take some positives from it.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Great policy by the AFL.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 6:13pm 9:19 amJune 18, 2019
Highlight
Michael Randall

That is bizarre.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Tue 18 Jun 2019 8:56pm

"Brian W
6 hours ago
And?

I don't know why the racists, bigots, sexists and homophobes don't just own it.

If you think what Kennett said is 'telling it how it is', you're racist. You might not be KKK racist - but you're racist.

Full stop.

Just accept it.

If you voted against gay marriage, you're a homophobe. Full stop.
You might not hate guys - but you're still against them havibg the same rights as straight people. Homophobe.

Accept it.

Kennett whined "How dare you call me racist! I'm pro-immigration!" - immediately after he said that only white guys are capable of performing a security role at the footy.

He might not be Tony Abbott level racist - but he's racist. He might not be a bad person, but he's racist.

Just accept it.

These people embarrass themselves when they deny it.
Sounds like a nuanced argument.

By your prInciples, Dick Smith is a racist then.

I was going to say you’re being black and white, but I did’t want to offend anyone.