AFL Overkill

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: AFL Overkill

asiu wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 9:32pm yes

as u said

ignorance is bliss
This wasn't directed at you but if you like...

Climate change and your personal responsibility take is a red herring. It is an invalid argument from ignorance and avoids the problem.

The argument that conservatives like Jordan Peterson like to trot out that we are ingrates is off point and does not change the conclusion that anthropogenic climate change is real. JP should stick to his own domain which is clinical psychology because he knows SFA about climate science and economic and political systems.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 12:04am I love the reaction when people don't fall into line with your cult... Yeah, the sheer role call of names impresses me, especially the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Australian Medical Association and the IPCC. I especially loved the IPCC, a political body whose very existence and more importantly,funding, depends upon the existence of man made climate change. Naturally because I don't agree with your position, I must get my info from Bolt or Abbott, because god forbid anyone think for themselves.
Firstly, let me say, science doesn't work on me disproving your hypothesis, in fact it is the diametric opposite - if you have a hypothesis, it remains that, until you conclusively prove your hypothesis to be fact. To date, that has not happened. Yes the climate is changing, as it has through the existence of this planet, but the degree (if any) to which man is influencing the climate still remains a point of conjecture, it has not been proven!! Therefore the ball remains in your court to prove your hypothesis. And consensus or popular vote has no place in science. At one point in history the consensus was that the earth was flat - did consensus make that true!!
Simply being a popular opinion, or one that is fashionable, does not make it fact. If and when a scientist or research facility has a "eureka" moment and has produced a means of proving man's involvement in climate change then I will happily change my position.

Besides sending us back to the stone age, I would be interested to know the effect on the global climate if we stopped all use of fossil fuels in Australia as of midnight tonight? If as of 12:01am tomorrow we could only use renewable energy sources, what would the sum total effect be on the global climate?
You can keep your head in the sand if you want, and keep shifting the goalposts so you never have to concede your stance on this subject, but I ask you this, what qualifications or expertise do you have in the area of, or areas related to, climate science?

If I had 200 mechanics telling me they think my car is stuffed and I shouldn’t drive it because it could be dangerous, then I had one random guy saying “I drive a car too, and I reckon it might be fine”, I know who I’d be listening to.

And regarding Special’s comment regarding funding, if the funding comes from the government you say they could have an agenda, and if it’s for private you say they could have an agenda, so exactly where do we want this funding to come from?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 9:40am
The_Dud wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 9:36pm
st.byron wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 9:05pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 7:58pm It is worrying we are in the age of ‘alternative facts’.

Society has never had this much access to information and what do we end up with? Anti-vax, flat earth, climate denying, anti-gmo, alternative medicine loving idiots.

Not good!
There’s a lot of value in paradigms that are not based on Western science. Only a rusted on Western science linear cause and effect, “if you can’t see it you can’t measure it” person would fail to see that. Am curious to know if you regard Chinese medicine as ‘alternative’?

GMO farming may be providing access to food sources, but at what cost? What cost to bio-diversity and the environment? Monsanto, the world GMO leader, is about to go under in the next few years from the weight of lawsuits for their unconscionable behaviour with Roundup. Glyphosate is now being found in unborn babies. It’s everywhere.

Just because people don’t follow mainstream science as their god of choice doesn’t make them idiots. In fact, blanket labelling people who consider alternatives says more about your narrow mindedness than it does about the people you label.
I don’t think there is such a thing as ‘Western science’.

There is only one type of medicine, that is medicine (regardless of origin) that has been proven under the scientific method to work. Everything else (alternative medicine, homeopathy, etc) has either not been proven to work, or proven not to work. I don’t know why people fight this idea, the scientific method for this testing is unbiased and heavily scrutinised. Unlike religion, ‘science’ is happy to be proven wrong and change it’s stance.

Every fruit and vegetable you eat has been genetically modified at some stage over time using some method. The method we use now is the best, most accurate and safest we’ve ever had.

Monsanto already doesn’t really exist anymore, as it has been absorbed by Bayer. The court cases regarding roundup were decided by civilians with no science background, and were not based in scientific evidence. Glyphosate is a much safer option than the previous alternatives used.

If people want to throw their money away on stuff that has absolutely no benefit, then that’s their choice. But when people start dying because they don’t have the ability to make an informed choice or have been influenced by some charlatan selling snake oil, that’s when this issue gets deadly serious.
Spoken like a true Western science worshipper and you even deny there’s such a thing as western science......ok....only the dominant thinking paradigm in our culture for the past century. Classic that you’re so ingrained in it, that you don’t believe there are any valid alternatives. Very narrow. Don’t have time right now to address all of the things in your post however....... I take it you regard Chinese medicine as unproven and ‘alternative’? When I studied Chinese Medicine my teacher related a story from his teacher of Chinese medicine, who had been practising for 50 years. He asked his teacher, “What do you think of Western medicine”? The teacher answered, “It’s too early to tell”. Western science takes a linear causative approach, which logically leads to breaking down systems into their component parts in an effort to understand them. Other ‘scientific’ paradigms like Chinese medicine for example, look at the whole system and the inter-relatedness of all the parts as the basis of their science. It’s been going for 3000 years and is incredibly refined and complex.
Interesting how repeatedly claim I’m a “worshipper” and “ingrained”, but then turn around and admit you are literally invested in Chinese medicine!

I never said Chinese medicine is all bulls***, if it has been proven to work then I’m all for it. And if it hasn’t, then I’m not, and it can sit in with all the other snake oil.

If you claim something works then you should be able to prove that it works, and why and how it does. I find it baffling that anyone would have an issue with this concept?

What is your opinion on animals being driven to extinction by Chinese medicine? What do you think of Rhinos being poached for their horns (made up of the same stuff as our fingernails, thanks science 👍) for treatments that, wait for it, have zero evidence to back them up?

Lastly, I love it how science has given you everything to allow you to post on this website, from electricity, your computer and mobile, the internet, and everything in between. It has GPS satellites in space, can transplant organs from one human to another, and has landed robots on Mars 54,000,000 km away. I bet you don’t question that an iPhone works, but when this same science tells you that some Chinese medicine might be bulls**t you crack the poos and say it doesn’t know what it’s talking about!

Priceless!
Last edited by The_Dud on Thu 04 Jul 2019 2:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

It's still the footy season folks....

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Are you sure our season isn’t already over Ted? ;)

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Only 1 game out of the 8 Dudley.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 2:18pm
What is your opinion on animals being driven to extinction by Chinese medicine? What do you think of Rhinos being poached for their horns (made up of the same stuff as our fingernails, thanks science 👍) for treatments that, wait for it, have zero evidence to back them up?

s***s me no end dudley, no end.

f****** arseholes. Every second store in Honk Kong and Shanghai is devoted to Chinese medicine FFs.

All bulls*** AFAIC.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 9:40am
The_Dud wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 9:36pm
st.byron wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 9:05pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 03 Jul 2019 7:58pm It is worrying we are in the age of ‘alternative facts’.

Society has never had this much access to information and what do we end up with? Anti-vax, flat earth, climate denying, anti-gmo, alternative medicine loving idiots.

Not good!
There’s a lot of value in paradigms that are not based on Western science. Only a rusted on Western science linear cause and effect, “if you can’t see it you can’t measure it” person would fail to see that. Am curious to know if you regard Chinese medicine as ‘alternative’?

GMO farming may be providing access to food sources, but at what cost? What cost to bio-diversity and the environment? Monsanto, the world GMO leader, is about to go under in the next few years from the weight of lawsuits for their unconscionable behaviour with Roundup. Glyphosate is now being found in unborn babies. It’s everywhere.

Just because people don’t follow mainstream science as their god of choice doesn’t make them idiots. In fact, blanket labelling people who consider alternatives says more about your narrow mindedness than it does about the people you label.
I don’t think there is such a thing as ‘Western science’.

There is only one type of medicine, that is medicine (regardless of origin) that has been proven under the scientific method to work. Everything else (alternative medicine, homeopathy, etc) has either not been proven to work, or proven not to work. I don’t know why people fight this idea, the scientific method for this testing is unbiased and heavily scrutinised. Unlike religion, ‘science’ is happy to be proven wrong and change it’s stance.

Every fruit and vegetable you eat has been genetically modified at some stage over time using some method. The method we use now is the best, most accurate and safest we’ve ever had.

Monsanto already doesn’t really exist anymore, as it has been absorbed by Bayer. The court cases regarding roundup were decided by civilians with no science background, and were not based in scientific evidence. Glyphosate is a much safer option than the previous alternatives used.

If people want to throw their money away on stuff that has absolutely no benefit, then that’s their choice. But when people start dying because they don’t have the ability to make an informed choice or have been influenced by some charlatan selling snake oil, that’s when this issue gets deadly serious.
Spoken like a true Western science worshipper and you even deny there’s such a thing as western science......ok....only the dominant thinking paradigm in our culture for the past century. Classic that you’re so ingrained in it, that you don’t believe there are any valid alternatives. Very narrow. Don’t have time right now to address all of the things in your post however....... I take it you regard Chinese medicine as unproven and ‘alternative’? When I studied Chinese Medicine my teacher related a story from his teacher of Chinese medicine, who had been practising for 50 years. He asked his teacher, “What do you think of Western medicine”? The teacher answered, “It’s too early to tell”. Western science takes a linear causative approach, which logically leads to breaking down systems into their component parts in an effort to understand them. Other ‘scientific’ paradigms like Chinese medicine for example, look at the whole system and the inter-relatedness of all the parts as the basis of their science. It’s been going for 3000 years and is incredibly refined and complex.
Interesting how repeatedly claim I’m a “worshipper” and “ingrained”, but then turn around and admit you are literally invested in Chinese medicine!

I never said Chinese medicine is all bulls***, if it has been proven to work then I’m all for it. And if it hasn’t, then I’m not, and it can sit in with all the other snake oil.

If you claim something works then you should be able to prove that it works, and why and how it does. I find it baffling that anyone would have an issue with this concept?

Lastly, I love it how science has given you everything to allow you to post on this website, from electricity, your computer and mobile, the internet, and everything in between. It has GPS satellites in space, can transplant organs from one human to another, and has landed robots on Mars 54,000,000 km away. I bet you don’t question that an iPhone works, but when this same science tells you that some Chinese medicine might be bulls**t you crack the poos and say it doesn’t know what it’s talking about!

Priceless!
Ah dude. I never said science is bad. It’s awesome. It’s just not the valid only paradigm through which to assess whether something has value or not. Western science (did you mean when you said that ‘Western science doesn’t exist” that there is only ‘science’ and the western epithet is irrelevant?) has provided us with all the things you mention and much more. The aqueducts, education, sanitation et al......so I’m a big fan of western science.....in its place.
When you say you regard Chinese medicine as valid if it’s been proven to work, that would be based on what type of proof? Do you want a western scientific kind of proof? You want to judge a 3000 year old technology on something that’s just emerged in the last two centuries?

That would be an approach consistent with the profound arrogance of western scientific certainty that has disregarded the finesse, beauty and complexity of pretty much every indigenous and ancient culture.

Your world view is very different to mine and I feel a sort of mixture of sadness and exasperation at the ignorance engendered by the rational certainty of the western scientific paradigm. It’s great and awesome at so many things, yet essentially limited as well. It does though confer a kind of certainty about what’s valid and what’s not that I can see could be quite comforting should you adhere to it in the way you seem to.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

My local medical centre has a couple of Chinese doctors, one of whom just happens to be my doctor. Bloody good doctors too, and really down to earth. His favorite word appears to be "s***".

Only trouble is you can't get in the door these days as the place is busting at the seams with chinese patients.

All looking for western remedies it would seem , as there is no sign of a local chinese herbs and other s*** shop in the near neighbourhood.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 3:15pm

f****** arseholes. Every second store in Honk Kong and Shanghai is devoted to Chinese medicine FFs.

All bulls*** AFAIC.
Arseholes....sigh...Chinese medicine saved my arse when western medicine had nfi what to do. LOL at Chinese medicine causing extinction. A fraction of a poofteenth of the problem. Meanwhile rainforest and habitat clearing continues apace so people can eat more meat.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 3:28pm

All bulls*** AFAIC.
Arseholes....sigh...Chinese medicine saved my arse when western medicine had nfi what to do. LOL at Chinese medicine causing extinction. A fraction of a poofteenth of the problem. Meanwhile rainforest and habitat clearing continues apace so people can eat more meat.
Each to their own. Killing tigers for their balls, Rhinos and elephants for their tusks and ivory is a crime against humanity IMHO. As I said, f****** arseholes.

By that, I am referring to those involved in that trade,

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

coz killing them for a lump of coal holds so much more validity

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 5:40pm coz killing them for a lump of coal holds so much more validity
What utter nonsense. There are no tigers, elephants or rhinos in Australia last time I looked. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Nothing wrong with our coal either.

You guys lost the election. Get over it. :roll: :roll: :roll:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

I am not a member of the labor party
and its weird that some people rate other countries animals with a higher regard than ours that have been forced into extinction

Seeya
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The planet couldn't give a fat rats clacker about politics or ideology.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 6:24pm I am not a member of the labor party
and its weird that some people rate other countries animals with a higher regard than ours that have been forced into extinction
Hope you are not referring to me there sport.

I care about every animal , bird or plant life threatened with extinction.

More than I care about some people actually. :wink:

Not a member? Doesn't mean you didn't vote for them.

Maybe you are a greenie.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

I mightve been green
I mightve been red
I mightve been blue
I mightve been Democrat
I think I have been all of them
just depends
But never one nation or Bernardi
But it's good that you protested against adani and voted against the party that was for it jn support of the black throated finch

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

I mightve been green
I mightve been red
I mightve been blue
I mightve been Democrat
I think I have been all of them
just depends
But never one nation or Bernardi
But it's good that you protested against adani and voted against the party that was for it jn support of the black throated finch

Seeya
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Don’t take my kids to the footy anymore, just got Kayo.

The amount of abuse and swearing they heard the last time we went was enough.

I think people confuse to barrack with the right to act like f***wits, and they do it regardless of who is around them. There have been numerous punch ons at the footy, don’t want my kids around that sort of crap!

Behaviour at the footy is disgusting at times

saynta
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 04 Jul 2019 3:28pm

All bulls*** AFAIC.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/travel/tra ... a4f7127929

"Hordes of Australian tourists who visit Asian hot spots are unknowingly supporting a cruel and unethically rare animal trade that breeds and kills lions and tigers on a massive scale.

World Animal Protection today released a report revealing thousands of big cats are being farmed in large-scale operations, many of which are marketed as conservation projects to unwitting travellers.

They are anything but, with one expert telling news.com.au it is “very unlikely, almost impossible” for any form of tourism involving wild animals to be operated ethically.

Instead, those cute lion and tiger cubs that make enviable selfie companions eventually grow up and are used for breeding before being slaughtered and sold as part of a booming multi-billion dollar traditional Asian medicine industry.

The report, titled Trading Cruelty, revealed there were up to 6000 tigers held in breeding farms across China, while South Africa keeps up to 8000 captive lions.

While a much smaller player comparatively, Thailand has about 1500 tigers in captivity, its investigators found."

As I said, f****** arseholes

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 09 Jul 2019 11:52am As I said, f****** arseholes
and as I said it's good that you lodged a protest vote against adani & the party that was for it jnst to support of the black throated finch

Seeya