How many would guarantee Ratten stays on?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

How many would guarantee Ratten stays on?

How many wins from our final 6 games would guarantee Ratten remains coach? For me it’s
6 definitely stays
5 definitely stays
4 probably stays
3 possibly stays
2,1,0 que site meltdown if Scott is appointed.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: How many would guarantee Ratten stays on?

Wins irrelevant

“Yeah….nah””
HighettMan
Club Player

Wins very relevant and not because of the importance to Rats but important to getting hope for 2020 and starting a winning culture.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Were wins irrelevant for AR?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I dont care if he wins any the season is shot. What I would to see is players having the confidence to take the game on and not worry about making mistakes. I also want to see us kick more than 15 goals a game at least once.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I dont care if he wins any the season is shot. What I would to see is players having the confidence to take the game on and not worry about making mistakes. I also want to see us kick more than 15 goals a game at least once.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Well Ratts was the forward line coach, maybe the new forwards coach might be better?

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2019 10:39pm Well Ratts was the forward line coach, maybe the new forwards coach might be better?
Marto. while I respect your footy and sporting knowledge, you must admit that as a forward line coach you are very reliant on efficient transition of the ball into the forward line structures. From what I saw the problem was our midfield transition.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2019 10:22pm Wins very relevant and not because of the importance to Rats but important to getting hope for 2020 and starting a winning culture.
Yeah I heard that same tripe in the torn thread when arguing against keeping Richo 2 years ago. It was drivel then and is now.
Play the long game, this season is a write off no one will remember it IFwe manage to rebuild successfully starting with drafting some talent.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2019 10:23pm Were wins irrelevant for AR?
After 6 years shouldn’t they be?
Context ..much?

“Yeah….nah””
HighettMan
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2019 11:38pm
HighettMan wrote: Tue 16 Jul 2019 10:22pm Wins very relevant and not because of the importance to Rats but important to getting hope for 2020 and starting a winning culture.
Yeah I heard that same tripe in the torn thread when arguing against keeping Richo 2 years ago. It was drivel then and is now.
Play the long game, this season is a write off no one will remember it IFwe manage to rebuild successfully starting with drafting some talent.
The long game has been in play since 2014. You are carrying on like the hysterical brigade that are calling for a complete rebuild which is a clueless postion. The club believe they aren't far off assembling a list cable of finals. The changing of coaches is just a side circus.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Does Mr Ratten look like a man beside himself with joy at what fate has handed him. I doubt he has long term senior coach ambitions any more. To remind him of the downside he has just had a ringside seat to AR going down. He probably expected he was hired as insurance to be a caretaker at some stage and to help the transition to a new coach. And then go back to being a well respected assistant. A few of the players may be told some unpleasant truths in the next two months though. We are too many players off contending for finals. We have some silk but plenty of pigs ears as well. Now is the time to cull and draft and retain the silk - possibly experiment with Ross and say White and a few others in unaccustomed positions. Danny Sexton? Hammill? you'd think one or both would be leaving.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2019 6:36am
The long game has been in play since 2014. You are carrying on like the hysterical brigade that are calling for a complete rebuild which is a clueless postion. The club believe they aren't far off assembling a list cable of finals. The changing of coaches is just a side circus.
Who said complete rebuild? I said bring some A grade talent in to complement that which we have now?
I think it’s clueless to go off half cocked (as you do) without demonstrating an ability to understand that there may be more than 1 option..,
Anyhoo, if your suggesting this clubs finals bound and ready I’d suggest stronger words than clueless might aptly apply to you..

“Yeah….nah””
supersaints2
Club Player

Just like to see the players with the shackles off... to me looked like some players being played out of position, some players (particularly ones trying to break into the side) too afraid to make mistakes... and some players continues to make the same mistakes over and over again, but seemed immune to being dragged or relegated to the twos

Don't think it's a matter of games won , but how much fluidity we can get ...

We never ever looked like kicking a heap of goals in a match... just want to see what we can do for the last weeks

Actually looking forward to it, but if there is Loire change from the drivel we served up most of the year , then Ratts gets the arse

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
supersaints2
Club Player

Just like to see the players with the shackles off... to me looked like some players being played out of position, some players (particularly ones trying to break into the side) too afraid to make mistakes... and some players continues to make the same mistakes over and over again, but seemed immune to being dragged or relegated to the twos

Don't think it's a matter of games won , but how much fluidity we can get ...

We never ever looked like kicking a heap of goals in a match... just want to see what we can do for the last weeks

Actually looking forward to it, but if there is Loire change from the drivel we served up most of the year , then Ratts gets the arse

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
Crossy66
Club Player

Depends on whether or not Scott wants him :0

B.M
Saintsational Legend

BFUSA

We are last for points for, compared to inside 50s

Structure in front of the ball is equally as important as delivery or entry method, in fact structure in front of the ball can definitely influence quality of delivery.

Was it chicken or egg?.. I would suggest both

My question is, why was a three time B&F midfielder and all time great stoppage player, and midfield coach at a triple premiership team, put in the position of Forward coach?

While a ruckmen, who has been at clubs who have performed poorly while he was there, made midfield coach? How many games did Lade play as a midfielder??

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2019 9:01pm BFUSA

Structure in front of the ball is equally as important as delivery or entry method, in fact structure in front of the ball can definitely influence quality of delivery.

My question is, why was a three time B&F midfielder and all time great stoppage player, and midfield coach at a triple premiership team, put in the position of Forward coach?

While a ruckmen, who has been at clubs who have performed poorly while he was there, made midfield coach? How many games did Lade play as a midfielder??
Agree on all of the above.

The coaching appointments / positioning were probably decided on by the Director of Football.

Perhaps that person had an agenda?

Funny how our recruiting centred around players that would be unlikely to have any impact for 2019.

2020 was his real target. Have said so for a year.

Given that a winning final would activate 2020 for Richo and that wasn’t the agenda of some, perhaps a poison challis or two was part of a wider plan.

2020 vision.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
HighettMan
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2019 8:35pm
Who said complete rebuild? I said bring some A grade talent in to complement that which we have now?
I think it’s clueless to go off half cocked (as you do) without demonstrating an ability to understand that there may be more than 1 option..,
Anyhoo, if your suggesting this clubs finals bound and ready I’d suggest stronger words than clueless might aptly apply to you..
You'(re) right, one man's rebuild is another man's refurbishment.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2019 9:19pm
Teflon wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2019 8:35pm
You'(re) right, one man's rebuild is another man's refurbishment.
I ewesually am right :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The rest of the season will be seeing if there's any improvement in execution, can we win more contested ball, can we get a goal from every 6-7 entries instead of one every 20 entries.

Wins won't be the issue, it"s gonna be judged on how close we can be, and technique.
Wins will be bonuses.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
HighettMan
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2019 9:32pm The rest of the season will be seeing if there's any improvement in execution, can we win more contested ball, can we get a goal from every 6-7 entries instead of one every 20 entries.

Wins won't be the issue, it"s gonna be judged on how close we can be, and technique.
Wins will be bonuses.
Technique will be crucial, without technique it's going to be hard to build a good culture of technique.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

It's a difficult period for any interim coach. I for one, just wish Brett well. Like Alan Richardson, Brett Ratten is a quality person. There's a part of me that is hoping beyond hope that "Ratts" gets a good run of wins... secures the Senior Coaches gig and gets us a flag.... for HIS sake, (after all the guy has endured over the past few years) but also to shove it RIGHT up the collective anal orifice of the Carlton Football Club!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

BackFromUSA wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2019 9:14pm
B.M wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2019 9:01pm BFUSA

Agree on all of the above.

The coaching appointments / positioning were probably decided on by the Director of Football.

Perhaps that person had an agenda?

Funny how our recruiting centred around players that would be unlikely to have any impact for 2019.

2020 was his real target. Have said so for a year.

Given that a winning final would activate 2020 for Richo and that wasn’t the agenda of some, perhaps a poison challis or two was part of a wider plan.

2020 vision.
I do like a good conspiracy theory. Was Lade hired on a 1 year contract and will he get punted at year end ?
I was quite surprised when they appointed Lade and even more so when they gave him the mids and not Ratts. Perhaps the plan was always going to be move Ratts into the head coach role in 2020 and give him a year as an assistant to get a good grip on the list.

I wonder if that dynamic changes for the next 6 weeks and Ratts takes on the mids and gives the forwards to Lade ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Bumping thread back up in the wake of two wins, scores of over 100 in both games, more attractive footy as people were hoping for.